Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Poor Gary, trapped by the crafty wiles of the Fronch...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Is this something that used to happen with box macaroni in the 70s?

Tiggum posted:

I've been wondering for a while why Dustin keeps going to whatever this place is. If it were Australia I'd assume it was a mandatory job network meeting but presumably that's not a thing in America. Is he paying her? What is the supposed purpose of these meetings? Does he have to keep showing up for some reason? Neither of them ever seems to get any value from it.
She works at a temp agency/headhunter place. They are middlemen between workers and employers. Sometimes it's to fill a temporary position, sometimes it's to have an employee without going through putting them on payroll or giving them benefits, which may or may not lead to a permanent position.

But now that I think about it, in my experience you almost never meet them in person after you interview with them. After that it's all email/phone calls.

F Minus

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Goddammit I hate that Toby was right.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

I just want to say that I finally finished my binge of the last thread over a few months and am almost caught up with this one. I too originally found these threads from that banner ad, so you know it's working!

With a the new thread I'll post this; my friend's parents recently gave him the newspaper from the day he was born, so I thumbed through it and snapped all the comics out of it! There are quite a few so I'll probably break it into two parts.Some of these strips I've never heard of before. The quality of all of them should be good (except Cathy which is slightly blurry), these were quick phone snaps and I tried to resize them so they wouldn't be massive.

The Corpus Christi Caller Times for November 8th, 1989

Dennis the Menace / Bent Offerings

A slightly blurry vertically formatted Cathy

Rose is Rose / Word for Word

Mother Goose and Grimm / Geech

The Far Side

Tumbleweeds / B.C.

The Family Circus

I can't believe Dagwood is put out of his misery once and for all.

Finally, hidden in the business section is Big Biz

I'll post the second half tomorrow, I've never heard of Geech, Tumbleweeds, Word for Word, or Bent Offerings.

Tiggum posted:

Mary Worth is fun to edit.

That cat was the best thing to happen to that comic.

Me thinkin' about that cat now that it's over:

I'd also like to take advantage of this post to say that of all the dogs in all these comics, Boot from The Perishers is my favorite.

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 14, 2019

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Oh man, I'd forgotten Geech. I wonder if there's an easy archive of it somewhere?

Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Luxrage posted:

The Far Side

Note that it's a rerun from 1983. I also don't know that I've ever seen this one in the calendars/anthologies.

Geech...I'd never seen or heard of it, but something about that art style immediately made me think "This is made by and for Texans."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Believe it or not, the diamond industry is kinda a horrible explorative shitshow!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2012 Spiderman

The Amazing Spiderman

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

JethroMcB posted:

Geech...I'd never seen or heard of it, but something about that art style immediately made me think "This is made by and for Texans."
Good call. According to Wikipedia, it's set in a Texas town, though the humor style and hairstyles always struck me as more Midwestern. There was apparently also a musical adaptation, with music by Angelo Badalamenti(!).

It's on GoComics, but despite the strip starting in '82, their "Read it from the beginning!" link directs to the start of 2000. I'll add it to my line-up and keep looking for an archive of the real beginning. Here are the first three, to get the weekdays lined up correctly.

Geech

e: Here's one I was able to find from August 7, 1982, about a month after the strip started, but Google's archives of Texan newspapers are spotty.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 14, 2019

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wizard of Id

My very favorite Cul de Sac

Wallace

Curtis

Jamal

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I am actually kinda scared that Jamal is going to kill off the mom.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
why all the hiding the face and then just there it is

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Because he's emotionally vulnerable at that moment, maybe?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
yeah it's obviously an artistic/storytelling decision

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's less of an abstract target for hero worship now. He has been humanised by his fallibility.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Green Intern posted:

I am actually kinda scared that Jamal is going to kill off the mom.

Yeah, when Vargo mentioned a storyline, I really started to worry about the brother. This comic's good.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it introduces the character as an archetype for you to detail around with your own prejudices and assumptions as they move through the prologue before stopping in the middle of the storyline to say "hey, this is actually a person like everyone else in this situation" while the framing brings him back down to jamal's level after having towered over him (and the cop) the whole time because in that moment he's just someone's kid.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
these are all good reasons and I accept them

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ghostlight posted:

it introduces the character as an archetype for you to detail around with your own prejudices and assumptions as they move through the prologue before stopping in the middle of the storyline to say "hey, this is actually a person like everyone else in this situation" while the framing brings him back down to jamal's level after having towered over him (and the cop) the whole time because in that moment he's just someone's kid.

But then why was the girlfriend (Cody's big sister) also given the hidden-head treatment? Is she an archetype that towers over the other characters too?

This sort of thing is why I'm leery of over-complicated literary analysis. (Which is why all my English lit teachers hated me.)

e:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jamal is one hell of a good comic and I'm scared for the characters

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Powered Descent posted:

But then why was the girlfriend (Cody's big sister) also given the hidden-head treatment? Is she an archetype that towers over the other characters too?

This sort of thing is why I'm leery of over-complicated literary analysis. (Which is why all my English lit teachers hated me.)

e:

The story ain't about them or from their perspective maybe (except for those brief moments when it is)?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:goonsay: The mutual no-headedness establishes a connection between Cody's Sister and Bruh Jermaine

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 14, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Powered Descent posted:

Those were two separate analyses. Yes, I believe she's also blank to function as an archetype.

The comment about towering-over was in regard to placing him down on the curb next to Jamal for the reveal of his face - there's a partial reveal during the argument with the cop but why wasn't that the full reveal? Having him sit on the curb next to his brother while, presumably, his mother argues with the policeman shifts the frame of who he is from a (justifiably) angry black teen to a mother's son by equivocating him and Jamal through attitude, body position, and expression. Revealing his face asks the reader to connect with his character as something other than an abstract - doing it during the conflict with the policeman would inherently also ask the reader to take a side in the conflict, but doing it in a moment of understood vulnerability asks the reader to simply sympathise with the feeling of vulnerability induced by the conflict, which itself has been momentarily abstracted by being moved completely out of frame.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

I hope the little French girl loses her head.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

In every previous panel, Tauhid actually drew the entire face before concealing it. Until now, though, his attempts to make a face older than Jamal's instantly turned into the Crypt-Keeper.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Ghostlight posted:

Those were two separate analyses. Yes, I believe she's also blank to function as an archetype.

The comment about towering-over was in regard to placing him down on the curb next to Jamal for the reveal of his face - there's a partial reveal during the argument with the cop but why wasn't that the full reveal? Having him sit on the curb next to his brother while, presumably, his mother argues with the policeman shifts the frame of who he is from a (justifiably) angry black teen to a mother's son by equivocating him and Jamal through attitude, body position, and expression. Revealing his face asks the reader to connect with his character as something other than an abstract - doing it during the conflict with the policeman would inherently also ask the reader to take a side in the conflict, but doing it in a moment of understood vulnerability asks the reader to simply sympathise with the feeling of vulnerability induced by the conflict, which itself has been momentarily abstracted by being moved completely out of frame.
Correct, it's properly personalizing Jermaine and fleshing him out. The longer we see Jermaine, the smaller and more human he gets, going from big fuckoff shoes to sitting on the curb next to his brother absolutely gobsmacked about where things will go next.

I'm really sorry if I just repeated what you said but Jamal is shaping up to have a lot of nice little symbolic tricks and meanings as it unfolds and I seriously can't overstate how this has all taken place over the same period as an overarching story (Jermaine takes Jamal to his girlfriend's house) but doesn't feel like an unnatural shift of the current focus, it flows organically and naturally as poo poo happens.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Darthemed posted:

Good call. According to Wikipedia, it's set in a Texas town, though the humor style and hairstyles always struck me as more Midwestern. There was apparently also a musical adaptation, with music by Angelo Badalamenti(!).

It's on GoComics, but despite the strip starting in '82, their "Read it from the beginning!" link directs to the start of 2000. I'll add it to my line-up and keep looking for an archive of the real beginning. Here are the first three, to get the weekdays lined up correctly.

Didn't someone use to post "Shirley and Son," the artist's other strip, here?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've never understood what's supposed to be so "enigmatic" about that picture. She's just smiling. In a pretty unremarkable way. :shrug:

Luxrage posted:

Rose is Rose / Word for Word
Another thing I don't get: This Rose is Rose.

Luxrage posted:

The Far Side
Or this Far Side. What's the thing he's tapping?

Luxrage posted:

Tumbleweeds / B.C.
No idea what the joke in this BC is supposed to mean either. :confused:

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Or this Far Side. What's the thing he's tapping?

He’s checking the coin return for change.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

manero posted:

He’s checking the coin return for change.

So what's the joke?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
You must be new to Far Side.

edit: non snarky answer- Far Side jokes usually mash up dissimilar concepts and tropes. The humor is subtle and some would say nonexistent.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 15, 2019

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Superman can probably squeeze diamonds out of coal with his bare hands, so checking for change is pretty srtange!

Also, he normally is in a hurry doing the phone booth thing, and absent-mindedly checking the coin return doesn't really fit the moment.

He's checking for cow tools.

E: I GOT BEAT TO COW TOOLS

Huxley fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 15, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tiggum posted:

So what's the joke?

Cow tools

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Huxley posted:

Superman can probably squeeze diamonds out of coal with his bare hands, so checking for change is pretty srtange!

Also, he normally is in a hurry doing the phone booth thing, and absent-mindedly checking the coin return doesn't really fit the moment.

Oh, is that actually supposed to be Superman? I honestly just assumed it was someone wearing a Superman T-shirt.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

yeah, clark kent's "thing" is to strip down to his costume in a phone booth

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

that sounded way more kinky than i intended

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Tiggum posted:

Another thing I don't get: This Rose is Rose.
It's old enough that I assume it's before an editor made the cartoonist reign in his feeder fetish.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Tiggum posted:

No idea what the joke in this BC is supposed to mean either. :confused:

Apparently, in beauty pageants, "Miss Congeniality" is given to friendliest or "most fun" contestant, so I'm pretty sure the joke is that she's easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Andy Capp

December 5, 1957

Heathcliff Old and New -- I'm actually hitting a point where I prefer Old Healthcliff? Old Heathcliff does things, he's way more physical - yeah, it's less surreal, but there's more punch to the punchlines aside from "wtf is going on"

Ballard Street

October 22, 2002

Outbursts of Everett True