Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I'd like to thank this thread for reminding me that ignore user exists and I should use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

AweStriker posted:

I'd like to thank this thread for reminding me that ignore user exists and I should use it

Immediately put it to good use cause I didn't know that was a thing so, thanks

Also yeah, not worth the effort to process that grammatical nightmare and trying to make a response to it. (That will probably only be met with an even more absurd comment.)

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Hell yeah I can and the first thing I'd criticize is putting internet strangers before your real life. This thread isn't going anywhere lol

It was the last part of the quoted section that was tryhard btw because you're threating an anime

The other gimmicks were less like the rest of the clown show here
Some heavy weirdo projection going on as per usual, but this is especially weird considering what I've talked about here ya idiot

Especially seeing as I talked about the issues feminists I. Japan deal with: the stigma, paedophile culture and other wonderful poo poo like that while you retards go on about anime representation lol

Wat.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm not sure what's going on right now, but I'm just gonna say that I fully expect Akechi to show up again during the ending.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm not sure what's going on right now, but I'm just gonna say that I fully expect Akechi to show up again during the ending.

I'd say it's an even 50/50 split on Akechi being the game's super secret final boss, or for him to do a Shiho and be completely forgotten by the writers.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Hell yeah I can and the first thing I'd criticize is putting internet strangers before your real life. This thread isn't going anywhere lol

It was the last part of the quoted section that was tryhard btw because you're threating an anime

The other gimmicks were less like the rest of the clown show here
Some heavy weirdo projection going on as per usual, but this is especially weird considering what I've talked about here ya idiot

Especially seeing as I talked about the issues feminists I. Japan deal with: the stigma, paedophile culture and other wonderful poo poo like that while you retards go on about anime representation lol

I have no idea what the gently caress you're on about but

Yeah uh you can go

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Here's a thought: Don't.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

A question: have you ever gotten into SMT Arist?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Req.Martyr posted:

A question: have you ever gotten into SMT Arist?

I played past the first Dante fight in Nocturne and got to the route split in IV, whereupon I cheered for having successfully gotten Neutral and then abandoned the game for like four years when I got to the tedious sidequest cleanup bullshit. I own Apocalypse but it's still wrapped, played a tiny bit of Soul Hackers on 3DS and forgot about it, and played small portions of both of the PS2 Raidou Kuzunoha games.

I'm still pissed I don't have that Raiho plushie anymore.

e: My entry to the series was P4, if you're wondering.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Arist posted:

e: My entry to the series was P4, if you're wondering.

Same, and I never got into the wider SMT either.

As for that last update, I was kinda down on you going kinda hard on coffee dad there, but not so much that it was more than a "huh" from me over the kinda sorta tone of the update.

I've always seen the fandom be more liking of Sojiro's memetic "hoo boy..." regarding his past (since he was obviously some sort of Japanese G-man involved in some high level research stuff with him knowing Wakaba and all that) romantic history and what not, declaring him the wingman of the series, what with his mannerisms and such around this date and all that. I can see the other interpretation though.

Again, it's probably due to the medium of the LP, where we're getting discrete pieces of it instead of however long one would normally put into a gaming session of this, allowing us to see the warts of the story more in the open rather than just maybe speeding through them or dismissing them while playing through.

I appreciate all the work and effort you've put into this LP over the past year and 8 months, and am looking forward to it wrapping up soon.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

Ah pretty cool!
I'm not overly deep into the series. My entry point was SMTIV, then I bounced off some old LPs of Persona 1/2, until now. I didn't realize I could have started with 3.

Seems like overall an interesting enough series to poke at when I'm bored

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Req.Martyr posted:

Ah pretty cool!
I'm not overly deep into the series. My entry point was SMTIV, then I bounced off some old LPs of Persona 1/2, until now. I didn't realize I could have started with 3.

Seems like overall an interesting enough series to poke at when I'm bored

Yea, the SMT games are definitely something if you're in a "Pokemon with an Adult Story" mood if I'm gonna boil it down to TL;DR terms. Persona's always been more of a "JRPG with a Twist" kind of thing, which, honestly, kinda explains how it's a more popular series compared to SMT, which feels more like a Niche series of titles.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Most of my favorite SMT games are the spin-offs like Digital Devil Saga and Devil Survivor. And obviously Persona.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I forgot I also played Devil Survivor vanilla, hit a roadblock, then played Overclocked and actually beat it (with Yuzu's new extended ending for some dumb reason). I played a bit of Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker but jesus christ I have so many games in my backlog

GhostStalker posted:

Same, and I never got into the wider SMT either.

As for that last update, I was kinda down on you going kinda hard on coffee dad there, but not so much that it was more than a "huh" from me over the kinda sorta tone of the update.

I've always seen the fandom be more liking of Sojiro's memetic "hoo boy..." regarding his past (since he was obviously some sort of Japanese G-man involved in some high level research stuff with him knowing Wakaba and all that) romantic history and what not, declaring him the wingman of the series, what with his mannerisms and such around this date and all that. I can see the other interpretation though.

Again, it's probably due to the medium of the LP, where we're getting discrete pieces of it instead of however long one would normally put into a gaming session of this, allowing us to see the warts of the story more in the open rather than just maybe speeding through them or dismissing them while playing through.

I appreciate all the work and effort you've put into this LP over the past year and 8 months, and am looking forward to it wrapping up soon.

I love Sojiro, like 80% of me ribbing the game or its characters in this LP is wholly facetious and not indicative of me thinking what I point out is an actual problem. My issues with this game are largely structural in nature.

I'm not saying Sojiro is actually some weird pervert talking up some false past as a casanova, but the joke is there because despite lines like "hoo boy," the one time we hear about him actually pursuing someone he got utterly shot down. But I get your reaction there.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I think I started SMT with Strange Journey because I'm a huge Etrian Odyssey fan.

Maybe not my best choice.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I played Persona Q because I'm a huge Etrian Odyssey fan.

Maybe not my best choice.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Aww, is it bad? I was thinking about picking up Q2.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Q2 might be better. The first one was just very...

Imagine that every enemy is a sponge. Then the FOEs are bigger sponges.

Like, in Etrian Odyssey, the game discourages you from fighting Ragelope when you initially see it but a few levels later, you can reasonably kill one if you're prepared and exploit its lightning weakness.

In Q, the first FOE is a Card Soldier with no weaknesses and, if I recall correctly, more HP than the first Stratum boss.

It gets to a point where the recommended way to progress with your sanity intact is to teach Naoto the AOE death spells and just cheese every normal battle.

There were other things too, like no boss rematches or Zen and Rei being obnoxious one gimmick characters.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Arist posted:

My apologies. I didn’t mean it like that…

Nah, it’s fine. I hid what I was doing on Christmas from you, after all, because I’m a massive coward who uses my perception of your weakness to rationalize not being emotionally open or honest about my problems.
lol fuego

I really hope the next evolution of the Persona protagonist is to have more visible, specific flaws. I appreciate seeing how much character are in all of Joker's animations, but I would love to see them go further

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'm now playing Persona 5 AND rewatching the dub of Madoka Magica now. Madoka happens to feature Cassandra Lee voicing a cutesy mascot with an agenda, so that's kinda weird/cool

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Leraika posted:

Aww, is it bad? I was thinking about picking up Q2.

Q2's main feature is that P3's female protag is basically the main heroine since she hangs out with your party and establishes herself before the male p3 enters the picture.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Like, in Etrian Odyssey, the game discourages you from fighting Ragelope when you initially see it but a few levels later, you can reasonably kill one if you're prepared and exploit its lightning weakness.

In Q, the first FOE is a Card Soldier with no weaknesses and, if I recall correctly, more HP than the first Stratum boss.

It gets to a point where the recommended way to progress with your sanity intact is to teach Naoto the AOE death spells and just cheese every normal battle.

There were other things too, like no boss rematches or Zen and Rei being obnoxious one gimmick characters.

There's also, I hate to use TVTrope terms, but for the lack of a better one - the characters get heavily flanderized and there's some really weird offputting scenes like some of the guys getting shrunk and the girls getting too touchy feeling with the mini boys

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I enjoyed most of PQ, but I also enjoy a game that gives me a character with aoe instant kills and then lets me use those, constantly, through the entire game. And the subpersona system, was pretty fun. I felt like I could use whoever and yes i DID take Koromaru to the final boss.

The flanderized characters were hit or miss but some of the interactions were still cute. It wasn't unbearable. There are worse one-notes out there, I even dug some of the 2 new OCs' plot.

But then....there is....

The festival dungeon. Which was just a three hit combo of terrible jokes (gay jokes AND women cant cook jokes? persona q, you shouldn't have), terrible level design and terrible FOEs. I really liked the final dungeon, but the Festival dungeon was so bad I almost just dropped it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Festival dungeon had a good track, though.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Arist posted:

I love Sojiro, like 80% of me ribbing the game or its characters in this LP is wholly facetious and not indicative of me thinking what I point out is an actual problem. My issues with this game are largely structural in nature.

I'm not saying Sojiro is actually some weird pervert talking up some false past as a casanova, but the joke is there because despite lines like "hoo boy," the one time we hear about him actually pursuing someone he got utterly shot down. But I get your reaction there.

Fair enough, I was just trying to make sure my point came across well enough. I know that you wouldn't put in that much effort over almost 2 years on a game that you didn't like, but the medium of LP magnifies the quite visible flaws that come out.

Anyway, Sojiro is still best coffee dad, and I will hear no slander against him.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

amigolupus posted:

I'd say it's an even 50/50 split on Akechi being the game's super secret final boss, or for him to do a Shiho and be completely forgotten by the writers.
In a surprise twist, the secret final boss will be the SIU Director nobody cared about, who reveals he actually was Kagutsuchi the whole time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You know what, thinking on it Morgana really sucks especially considering that he's supposed to be the last traces of mankind’s hope that Igor was able to collect before being banished into impossible space or whatever the explanation was supposed to be there and all they've got for his personality is wants to marry the teenager and 'you should go to sleep'.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, like I can give some leeway given the amnesia, but if they dropped the creepy poo poo and shift the 'go to sleep' as less bossy and more Concerned Mom/Dad, he'd be a lot more tolerable.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah, like I can give some leeway given the amnesia, but if they dropped the creepy poo poo and shift the 'go to sleep' as less bossy and more Concerned Mom/Dad, he'd be a lot more tolerable.

If they'd dropped the flirting with Ann and had him standing up on his back legs walking around doing human things to help out but out of the view of anyone normal like that 'Hello my baby, hello my honey' frog from the Looney Toons cartoons I would've loved that. 700,000$ of effort put into making a video game cat make stew and helping fold your clothes. It would've been hilarious.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

In a surprise twist, the secret final boss will be the SIU Director nobody cared about, who reveals he actually was Kagutsuchi the whole time.

I genuinely forgot he existed.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

he just sort of died at some point, his purpose (the writers jerking themselves off about how clever their villains are) served

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

GeneX posted:

he just sort of died at some point, his purpose (the writers jerking themselves off about how clever their villains are) served

Yeah, he ate a mental shutdown courtesy of Akechi (almost wrote Adachi there, whoops) on orders of Shido around the time Maaku was "assassinated". Tying up loose ends and all that, as he had outlived his usefulness narratively in more ways than one.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

RareAcumen posted:

If they'd dropped the flirting with Ann and had him standing up on his back legs walking around doing human things to help out but out of the view of anyone normal like that 'Hello my baby, hello my honey' frog from the Looney Toons cartoons I would've loved that. 700,000$ of effort put into making a video game cat make stew and helping fold your clothes. It would've been hilarious.

That would rule, especially the inevitable late game scene where Sojiro walks in and discovers the loving cat making a coffee while Maaku is busy hanging out in a maid cafe.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

PQ also heavily simplified a lot of EO mechanics which made things stupidly easy once you hit your stride, I found.

EO requires you to keep stock of monster bits to purchase items? PQ just lets you unlock the item then you're set for life.
Missed an EO shortcut because you're not used to what that stratum uses or you're just rushing? PQ has party members chime in with a voice clip every time you pass an action point, so you instantly know when to turn around and see what you missed.
EO places a huge focus on resource management? The Subpersona HP/SP buffers means you can pretty much blitz every fight without worrying about topping up after. Hell, by the end of the game Naoto could throw out Die For Me or Samsara and only lose like 4-5 of her actual SP per fight.

I honestly had fun with the game (playing around with Orpheus Telos was silly as hell if you give the user MT physical), but god it had some shortcomings.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

BisbyWorl posted:

Missed an EO shortcut because you're not used to what that stratum uses or you're just rushing? PQ has party members chime in with a voice clip every time you pass an action point, so you instantly know when to turn around and see what you missed.

To be fair, that particular feature has worked its way into the main EO games which let you gives voices to your characters. And I like it.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

Yeah, when your eyes/brain are glazing over, it's a nice little reminder

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Akechi is the JoJo part 7 esque reboot of adachi.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
To be more accurate,

Grapplejack posted:

Akechi is the JoJo part 8 esque reboot of adachi.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Totally not an emptyquote here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

RareAcumen posted:

that 'Hello my baby, hello my honey' frog from the Looney Toons cartoons

His name is Michigan J. Frog.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

GeneX posted:

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, he ate a mental shutdown courtesy of Akechi (almost wrote Adachi there, whoops) on orders of Shido around the time Maaku was "assassinated". Tying up loose ends and all that, as he had outlived his usefulness narratively in more ways than one.