Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I actually hope they're splitting that roulette into 2-3 instead of adding more dungeons we'll never get to run.

Because judging by how 50/60 DR works right now, instead of Snowcloak/Keeper of the Lake and sometimes ARF it's going to be those and Ala Mhigo, and an even lower chance to get the optional dungeons that are actually cool.

Oh and instead of roughly half the dungeons you can get being of the lower level where sync sucks even more, now 2/3 of them can be rear end instead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Relax Or DIE posted:

Also maybe a few more items added in game instead of going straight to the cash shop but

I'm too jaded to expect this, so I'll just say that I hope Shadowbringers doesn't have a boss theme of a leitmotif that shows up wearily often in field zones and dungeons.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Relax Or DIE posted:

A small change I'm hoping for in Shadowbringers is that what will be the 50/60/70 roulette is given an exp bonus on par with lldr and adr.

Wouldn't mind this, or at least more Poetics/Clusters/etc. A lot of these dungeons are really good and I'd run them more often if they had better rewards.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Hello FFXIV people, I played at the very beginning of Stormblood, up until the first Omega trials came out and haven't played since then.

What should I do to get back into the game? I'm interested in the Blue Mage coming up.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Mischalaniouse posted:

Hello FFXIV people, I played at the very beginning of Stormblood, up until the first Omega trials came out and haven't played since then.

What should I do to get back into the game? I'm interested in the Blue Mage coming up.

Good news, if blue mage is what you're interested in, absolutely nothing. Blue mage is basically 2.0 only so you're good I guess.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Hey we just learned that the bad guys have a WMD that we have no idea how to defend against. I HAVE A GREAT IDEA let's take all of the alliance's leaders and the Alliance's own WMD (the WoL) and put them in the same place what could possibly go wrong?

Well I'm sure it'll be okay, the guy who doesn't like us very much said he took care of it and everything's fine.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'd say Gaius' relationship with Eorzea is a bit more complex than "doesn't like us very much".

But yes, that was a concern of mine throughout the meeting.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'd say Gaius' relationship with Eorzea is a bit more complex than "doesn't like us very much".

But yes, that was a concern of mine throughout the meeting.

My point is that he shouldn't be very trustworthy.

By that I mean he's very trustworthy because PLOT REASONS, but in the context of a world alliance like that, he really shouldn't be. Like, if some guy I killed 5 years ago just magically shows up one day and says, hey I think we have a common enemy, I'd tell him to gently caress right on off.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I mean, he also did save Alphinaud and clearly had murdered the poo poo out of a bunch of ascians

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm pretty sure Gaius is on the side of "Conquer Eorzea" not "Destroy Eorzea." Varis and friends prefer the second option.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Renegret posted:

My point is that he shouldn't be very trustworthy.

By that I mean he's very trustworthy because PLOT REASONS, but in the context of a world alliance like that, he really shouldn't be. Like, if some guy I killed 5 years ago just magically shows up one day and says, hey I think we have a common enemy, I'd tell him to gently caress right on off.

I wouldn't. Gaius has been consistently portrayed as being a relatively moderate, honorable man: he took over Ala Mhigo with relatively little bloodshed, forbade the production of chemical weapons, betrayed Nael's plans in an attempt to stop them, tried to negotiate terms of surrender with Eorzea instead of instantly blowing up everything with his super weapon, and was very obviously and openly betrayed by the Ascians in front of you, the Warrior of Light. He was a conqueror, but he wasn't unreasonable, and gave no indication of being fickle or a turncoat. When you meet up with him again, he's been stripped of all his positions and authority and talks about basically nothing except destroying the Ascians. Especially in the face of an Ascian-sponsored plot to obliterate reality, trusting Gaius is completely reasonable.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
plot twist

Gaius new class is actually Dancer, and also he's the class trainer.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't think a plot relevant character has ever been a job trainer. Even Estinien was more of a "Job Quest NPC who got bumped up to being plot relevant".

Also, one other thing regarding spoilers, we know from interaction with Nero that Gaius is almost certainly a deserter at this point.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't think a plot relevant character has ever been a job trainer. Even Estinien was more of a "Job Quest NPC who got bumped up to being plot relevant".

Also, one other thing regarding spoilers, we know from interaction with Nero that Gaius is almost certainly a deserter at this point.

Closest we came to so far is Y'Shtola's sister in the Summoner questline. Kind of doesn't really count since she was retroactively thrown into the msq quests.

Let's not forget that as of Stormblood, Godbert Manderville is officially canon.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vermain posted:

I wouldn't. Gaius has been consistently portrayed as being a relatively moderate, honorable man: he took over Ala Mhigo with relatively little bloodshed, forbade the production of chemical weapons, betrayed Nael's plans in an attempt to stop them, tried to negotiate terms of surrender with Eorzea instead of instantly blowing up everything with his super weapon, and was very obviously and openly betrayed by the Ascians in front of you, the Warrior of Light. He was a conqueror, but he wasn't unreasonable, and gave no indication of being fickle or a turncoat. When you meet up with him again, he's been stripped of all his positions and authority and talks about basically nothing except destroying the Ascians. Especially in the face of an Ascian-sponsored plot to obliterate reality, trusting Gaius is completely reasonable.

I'm not sure that "moderate" is the best word to describe 2.0 Gaius, even in a relative sense. It's pretty easy to be more measured than "literally murder everyone by dropping a moon on them" after all. And life in Ala Mhigo and Doma wasn't exactly happy even for collaborators. But I agree that he's unlikely to try to stab WoL in the back. He's an rear end in a top hat but he's an extremely focused rear end in a top hat, and right now he's focused on the spooky bastards that have been hassling you and making a mockery of everything he believed in. And when that's done, he's more likely to focus on picking up the pieces in Garlemald than pursue the protagonist. We already have Zenos for that.

When one of the world's premier badasses shows up and offers to help beat up badguys bent on destroying the world, the jrpg answer is always "yes please".

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
24 man spoilers:

Alloy Steele, former tank. Today at 4:27 PM
UPON MY HOLY BLADE THE VERY RAID LIES IN BALANCE.
Gota Felis Today at 4:27 PM
AND NOW THE RAID WILL SPLIT
Gota Felis Today at 4:28 PM
Vote abandon commenced

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

yoship you coward

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I don't see any scheduled maintenance. Are they just turning on Blue Mage quests when the weekly reset hits? I know they said the quests will be implemented one week after the patch was released.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well I suppose that creates a problem because it gives them Plot Armor forever if they're in content you might go back to.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

DizzyBum posted:

I don't see any scheduled maintenance. Are they just turning on Blue Mage quests when the weekly reset hits? I know they said the quests will be implemented one week after the patch was released.

Chances are it will just phase into existence without any downtime needed, similar to how they've been doing holiday events recently.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Saint Freak posted:

Well I suppose that creates a problem because it gives them Plot Armor forever if they're in content you might go back to.

CUL had you cook for the Sultana at 50, even back when she was totally dead and killed msq-wise. Yoship said past content was past content in response, iirc.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Relax Or DIE posted:

Also maybe a few more items added in game instead of going straight to the cash shop but

I mean, the cash shop has always been pretty consistent about what's added to it. Pretty much everything on there falls under one of four categories:

* Old event items
* Korean/Chinese server exclusive items
* XIV cosplay & Scion minions
* Cosplay and two-seater mounts

The one thing there isn't really any apparent pattern to is new emotes. I understand Megaflare, since that's basically a scaled down statue emote, but the others seem to be chosen by lobbing darts at a board.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Rastan Beeza posted:

CUL had you cook for the Sultana at 50, even back when she was totally dead and killed msq-wise. Yoship said past content was past content in response, iirc.

Yeah, I can right now go back to the Waking Sands and say hi to comatose Urianger and talk about how the long-dead Iceheart is a threat because I haven't done Shiva extreme.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Renegret posted:

plot twist

The only thing Gaius dances to is the song of ringing steel.

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 14, 2019

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If my elemental level is 23 and I've finished all of the quests in Anemos, what should I be doing to level up further? Chaining mobs in Pagos, doing CLs in Anemos or Pagos, something else?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Pussy Cartel posted:

If my elemental level is 23 and I've finished all of the quests in Anemos, what should I be doing to level up further? Chaining mobs in Pagos, doing CLs in Anemos or Pagos, something else?

If you don't have your Anemos weapon, get it. If you do, go to pagos and hit the NMs you can.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Pussy Cartel posted:

You can access two thirds of the pagos aetherytes now that they've lowered them. Go forth and ride the train to glory.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Renegret posted:

plot twist

underneath that jacket is a man with buns of steel

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think SB Gaius is being defined as a Lawful Evil sort, as opposed to Varis' Chaotic Evil. Dude's still a fantasy magic Nazi, but I think he'd agree with how The Old Republic puts it: "The masses cannot fear you if there are no masses." Gaius wants to rule the world with an iron fist, Varis wants to destroy the world (and become a god or something because JRPG). Gaius is probably very trustworthy as far as that goes, and not one step further.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if SE tries to rehabilitate him because players love him, nevermind all the people he's killed and his super creepy and hosed up relationship with Junia.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
He saved Precious Boy Alphy from certain doom, so the man could literally eat a baby in front of me and I'd still only have slight reservations about him joining the team. :colbert:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Rainuwastaken posted:

He saved Precious Boy Alphy from certain doom, so the man could literally eat a baby in front of me and I'd still only have slight reservations about him joining the team. :colbert:

It's best not to mention Alphinaud when Cythereal is around.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mordiceius posted:

It's best not to mention Alphinaud when Cythereal is around.

Eh, to be honest it's less that I hate Alph than I tend to be stupid and get overly invested in trying to be right in dumb internet arguments. I still don't like the brat, but I don't actually care that much about him.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Excellent choice in race & gender combo.

Also help, I am trapped in a mahjong pit and I cannot escape.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Thank god BLU is out tomorrow, thus giving me an excuse to never play mahjong.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm too jaded to expect this, so I'll just say that I hope Shadowbringers doesn't have a boss theme of a leitmotif that shows up wearily often in field zones and dungeons.

Dear lord this. I am so tired of the Stormblood leitmotif. I don't know why the Heavensward leitmotif and recurrent ARR themes never got under my skin, but I think HW especially was just a lot more subdued or worked into pieces as an undertone, where in Stormblood the leitmotif tends to be more of a main focus. There are what, at least 6-7 tracks now where the Stormblood leitmotif plays a prominent role? Probably more?

SB Boss theme
Shinryu theme
Ala Mhigan anthem (which would probably be considered the OG tune)
Ala Mhigo dungeon theme
SB field battle theme
Ghimlyt Dark theme

Those are the ones that come to me right off the top of my head as featuring the leitmotif in more than a subtle undertone role.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

it’s because you instinctively shy away from the wonderful notes of the internationale, you capitalist pig-dog

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There's also Kugane, Kugane Castle, and I want to say the Ruby Sea, too.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 14, 2019

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I really like it, and I installed one of those things that automatically plays bard performances for you so I can play the Kugane theme anywhere in the world.

Well, that and Oblivion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There's also Kugane, Kugane Castle, and I want to say the Ruby Sea, too.

This is why I hang out in Ishgard or at the FC house - I can't stand the music in Kugane anymore.

World War Mammories posted:

it’s because you instinctively shy away from the wonderful notes of the internationale, you capitalist pig-dog

Tired of the music, but long live the saltery revolution.