Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Candlelight Virgil posted:

Is rammus any good right now?
Nothing better than picking rammus into a yasuo/yi comp.
Play ranked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

el dingo posted:

Its cos he's one of those champs like vayne, yasuo, riven etc. Either they get fed and just take the game over or they turbofeed and blame their team mates. No middle ground

I think this idea gets overblown, I run into plenty of those champs who have average games and/or are nice enough. Anyway, time to log on and play one game of ranked

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
https://i.imgur.com/Z5L8gIN.mp4

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I know the clip is about Skarner but man look at that loving J4. What a dude.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Is there some sort of resource to learn which champion for a given role is appropriate under certain circumstances? Is it just looking up counterpick stat tables?

For example, in support I like Zyndra and Lulu, and I can tell they're pretty different, but I'm not sure what would justify picking one over the other in a given game.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

pidan posted:

Is there some sort of resource to learn which champion for a given role is appropriate under certain circumstances? Is it just looking up counterpick stat tables?

For example, in support I like Zyndra and Lulu, and I can tell they're pretty different, but I'm not sure what would justify picking one over the other in a given game.

It is just counterpick stats, though if you play the lane enough you will generally just get a feel for it anyway.

That said, I wouldn't really worry about counterpicks until diamond anyway. I've won plenty of 'bad' lanes. If you know your champ well it doesn't matter

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

pidan posted:

Consider synergy: Zyra (which I assume you mean) is good at poking and mid/long-range engages. Ideally you'd match her with an ADC with similar strengths to push that advantage. Lulu has an attack speed buff and anti-dive tools, so she is perhaps better suited with a hypercarry like Vayne.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

pidan posted:

counterpicks are not poo poo until you hit diamond. any imagined counterpick until around that skill level, 9/10 times by just getting better at the game you can ignore the differences. ask yourself what your team is trying to do, and what champion can best augment that game plan, then ask yourself which of your champions is best to win the lane you are in.

i do not give a mother flipping hoot if some website says zilean top is statistically 3% more favourable against vi top or whatever crazy poo poo the internet tells you. if you do not play zilean top, do not play zilean top. individual comfort and expertise dwarfs champion matchup until all things start to even out at high elo.

even then, one tricks can still clean house, so have no fear zilean top mains

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

pog boyfriend posted:

ask yourself what your team is trying to do, and what champion can best augment that game plan, then ask yourself which of your champions is best to win the lane you are in.

This is the part I'm struggling with. I don't look at counterpick tables, though I do think about whether I or the opponent have a lot of stuns and how that will interact. But in mid and late game, I'll be up against all the opponents anyway. So I might choose to play Lulu to buff a non tanky top laner in the late game, or if the other team has a lot of potential divers. Or I might choose Zyra (sry!) if the other team has relatively low mobility and I expect to stand in the back shooting vines at people.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

pidan posted:

This is the part I'm struggling with. I don't look at counterpick tables, though I do think about whether I or the opponent have a lot of stuns and how that will interact. But in mid and late game, I'll be up against all the opponents anyway. So I might choose to play Lulu to buff a non tanky top laner in the late game, or if the other team has a lot of potential divers. Or I might choose Zyra (sry!) if the other team has relatively low mobility and I expect to stand in the back shooting vines at people.

congratulations, you have successfully learned the concept of good champion picking! as you continue to add more champions to your repertoire you will have a wider range of things you are able to do. for now, try making a mental note of which of your champions have knockups(all of them, right now, but on ults) in case you ally with a yasuo.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

For most of the time counter picking doesn't matter if you know the champ you're playing better than your opponent.

Like I remember a game where I was playing Teemo against Garen thinking I picked the perfect counter but that dude was a loving Garen savant who just absolutely destroyed me.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
How does CDR from items / stuff that shows up in CDR panel stack with CDR gained from runes/quests like Ultimate Hunter?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
avoid blindpicking champs that you know can be counterpicked by popular champions. if you have a habit of blindpicking garen then expect a steady stream of poo poo like gnar and teemo.

if you main offmeta stuff you have a very big advantage when it comes to matchups. if you produce a playstyle that people have no experience playing vs then you can win matchups you shouldnt be able to win

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Erdricks posted:

How does CDR from items / stuff that shows up in CDR panel stack with CDR gained from runes/quests like Ultimate Hunter?

Multiplicative. So at 40% CDR and maximum Ultimate Hunter stacks you have like a 49-50% CD on your ult.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008
If you could wake up tomorrow and be a total loving savant insane master of one champion, who would it be?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Triple-Kan posted:

If you could wake up tomorrow and be a total loving savant insane master of one champion, who would it be?

Jhin.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Triple-Kan posted:

Irelia.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
yorick for the lols.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Triple-Kan posted:

best thing would be draven probably but the most fun would be zoe, and i am already a master of zoe. this is not the usual zoe shill post, zoe has an absurdly high skill ceiling with all of the stuff you can pick up and balloons and maximizing ranges and all this crazy poo poo

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Tired Moritz posted:

yorick for the lols.

yorick is a very good champ and playing him is very fun. would recommend.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Triple-Kan posted:

Shaco.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Triple-Kan posted:

Same. He likely has the highest skill cap in the game.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Triple-Kan posted:

Camille because her kit seems like it would be a ton of fun if I knew how to use it effectively, instead of getting stuck to walls and dying in my own ult arena like a fool.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

pidan posted:

Camille because her kit seems like it would be a ton of fun if I knew how to use it effectively, instead of getting stuck to walls and dying in my own ult arena like a fool.

so you have one of the best gap closers in the game, which is also one of the best escape tools in the game. delete camille

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Triple-Kan posted:

Teemo, no doubt.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Soraka would be a good one.

I'd just want to be a savant in something that would make the other team rage

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

gvibes posted:

Nothing better than picking rammus into a yasuo/yi comp.

Play ranked.

A new rammus fun pick is rammus into hail of blades Jax.

They literally kill themselves in less than a second.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I would never want to put in the time but being really good at nidalee would be fun.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Shortest Path posted:

Same. He likely has the highest skill cap in the game.

Yeah the skill cap is a big motivator, the other motivator is that if you think the question "assuming you have the perfect solution to each and every game, which champion would cause the most suffering imaginable on the way for the enemy team's inevitable defeat" then I think the ultimate perfectly played Shaco would be up there drinking tea with Teemo and Anivia.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Triple-Kan posted:

Irelia or Akali, while I can sometime have success on assassins, it's few and far between

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Elentor posted:

Yeah the skill cap is a big motivator, the other motivator is that if you think the question "assuming you have the perfect solution to each and every game, which champion would cause the most suffering imaginable on the way for the enemy team's inevitable defeat" then I think the ultimate perfectly played Shaco would be up there drinking tea with Teemo and Anivia.

Yeah it's definitely Teemo spamming taunt in his bee costume while you step on 5 mushrooms to get to him and die.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Triple-Kan posted:

agree with Shaco, since a prereq of being a turbo master would be the ability to make hard reads which is a really good general skill to have

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Triple-Kan posted:

Thresh :smith:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pidan posted:

Camille is honestly pretty easy to learn. The only parts of her that require practice are understanding the bizarro hitboxes of her E and getting a feel for the timer on second Q. Despite her reputation, she's far more of a thinking champion (knowing when to go in and on who) than an execution champion.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
League of Legends Shower Thoughts:

If you make a game, stay in the fountain and let the minions do their thing, which side wins?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
In theory it should be neither. They should just stalemate every lane forever as wave after wave just ineffectively smashes together.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

el dingo posted:

League of Legends Shower Thoughts:

If you make a game, stay in the fountain and let the minions do their thing, which side wins?

I have actually done this in the practice tool. Blue side wins.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

In theory it should be neither. They should just stalemate every lane forever as wave after wave just ineffectively smashes together.

Waves get stronger and stronger forever. Since minion waves won't just obliterate each other and a few of them will eventually hit a tower, someone will win.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

imagine being able to juggle 3 axes with perfect positioning, use e to interrupt any assassin all in, landing perfect cross map ult snipes and tell me being a draven savant is not the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

pog boyfriend posted:

imagine being able to juggle 3 axes with perfect positioning, use e to interrupt any assassin all in, landing perfect cross map ult snipes and tell me being a draven savant is not the best.

this is almost certainly the right answer if you want solo queue success/admiration of your friends and teammates/promotion from Riot despite literally becoming famous off the back of being a complete rear end in a top hat/etc