Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

The Kins posted:

I was wondering why I didn't hear much in the way of anger-screaming from that crowd. How'd all that turn out?
Pretty good all in all. I know some purists aren't big fans because they essentially ported HW1 into the HW2 engine which significantly altered some ship AI behaviors and changed how the difficulty scales. Some of that has been patched, and some of it modded by the community. I think the only big failing is that they didn't remaster Cataclysm, probably because of the IP hell it's been stuck in for ages. GoG finally got it sometime after the remaster and released it as Emergence (because Blizzard owns the word Cataclysm now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Regular Homeworld 1 still plays better than the remaster, but doesn't look as pretty (but still looks good), Homeworld 2 used to play the same but since they hacked in the Homeworld 1 ballistics system, (in a janky sort-of approximation) it now plays worse than regular Homeworld 2 and the visual upgrade is incredibly minor because Homeworld 2 already looked fantastic.

They also didn't fix any of the core engine issues that have held back the modding forever, made making new models/importing them harder and the balance is all over the place because for some weird reason they got it in their heads that multiplayer has to be Homeworld 1 factions fighting Homeworld 2 factions.

Much like Deserts of Kharak, the remaster overall seems like fanfic rather than new Homeworld product.

It's still some of the best RTS games around, but that's because the state that market it in is just sad.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I finally finished playing through all of Arcane Dimensions 1.7. Such a good pack all around but I stand by my statement that Foggy Bogbottom sucks.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Kharak is the only base-building RTS I've enjoyed since DoW 2. Though, to be fair, that sub-genre only really gets indie titles these days.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I had a great time with the Homeworld remasters and thought they played very well. I never played the original HW2, but I happened to be hot off the heels of playing and replaying HW1. The differences that do exist didn't bring the experience down at all imo, and the total revamp of the graphics was awesome. There's a really good video interview out there that talked a lot about the work they did to recover the original art to use while recreating the assets in HD.

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

Trailer today for the Quake 1.5 mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWJFudlrgvo

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

I was looking at this mod's development a few weeks ago--it looks really fun, and exactly like the sort of thing that would get me to reinstall Quake once again.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Trying to sneak out Brutal Quake by changing its name won't work on me!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
there is like nothing in that trailer that makes me want to play it

sweet, enhanced gore for these hideous early days of 3d models

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Why the hell is it called Quake 1.5

From their moddb page it looks like a weapons/gore mod that also changes levels for reasons?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

david_a posted:

Why the hell is it called Quake 1.5
Cause the original goal was to make the weapons more Quake 2-y, IIRC.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That looks fantastic! Didn't know about this mod.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Civvie's vid on Shogo is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmCwdC9FBH0

I always felt like Blood 2 was just as rickety and slopped together as Shogo but for some reason Shogo just feels more playable.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I always felt like Blood 2 was just as rickety and slopped together as Shogo but for some reason Shogo just feels more playable.

I love his reviews and I'll never get tired of "FUCKIN' RAW". Also doom 2016 throwing aside the ending text was gold.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

CJacobs posted:

That is... extremely strange. From this he seems like the kinda guy that would pull the "well technically it's called ephebophilia" schtick, but who the hell knows about the "peacock party" thing until the police get involved (which they hopefully will to clear all this poo poo up).
You can't count on the police, especially when the offender is rich enough

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/article220097825.html

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The hunter is a really cool concept but is probably the worst enemy in HL2. It's the closest the game gets to a bullet-spongey enemy, is the nadir of the game's shifting focus to "I guess I should just be using the gravity gun all the time
Yes the whole point of making the hunter take reduced damage from bullets was to incentivize the use of the gravity gun and the car as an offensive weapon.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Volte posted:

I was working on a Doom 2 map this morning and became frustrated with trying to work on detail in a room that's not aligned to the X and Y axes. So I spent most of the day hacking up GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix a little bit to let me align the grid to an arbitrarily rotated or translated coordinate space. Demo: https://i.imgur.com/hNEJa29.mp4

My fork is here: https://github.com/volte/GZDoom-Builder-Bugfix (rotation branch)
I was also asked to implement it for Doom Builder X: https://github.com/volte/doombuilderx

I made pull requests for each.

Which lets you build maps easier and align verts right? GZDB or DBX?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Hunters are great, Jesus. While I agree that Half Life 2 got way too dead set on making the player use the Gravity gun and only the Gravity Gun (which honestly wasn't that cool of a gimmick considering how much they shoved it down your throat), it was pretty awesome holding up a barrel to tank the Hunter's flechettes, then firing it back at them to disintegrate them with their own shots.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Which lets you build maps easier and align verts right? GZDB or DBX?
Yeah, it helps with making regularly sized/aligned geometry that's not on the map grid. I implemented it for both GZDB and DBX (basically just copied and pasted from one to the other) - the two links in my post are the source code to my forks of both GZDB and DBX.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
shogo was one of the first games i ever played on pc and i still love it. its like comfort food.

but even back in the day blood 2 was a kind of weird, half-finished-feeling mess. the guns were also weirdly terrible looking, even for lithtech in 1998.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Thanks for the headsup, these are fun

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

What the hell happened to Monolith in 1998?!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
In case anyone doesn't already have them, Deus Ex, Thief Gold and Thief II (also the other two Thief games that aren't as good) are 69p each on Steam right now.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

khwarezm posted:

Blood check cleared, I bet we can make a 3d engine, :regd08: ?

Even though most things are bad in lithtech, the bouncy particle effects and the smoke that drifts in the wind is quite nice for a 1998 engine.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 14, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I played Shogo and all I can remember is boy loving howdy do you die fast, explosions being ripperous hell portals to the death dimension.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

khwarezm posted:

They took their 3D engine project they were working on for Microsoft (DirectEngine) who no longer wanted it, and were making two games simultaneously while undergoing a lot of internal hardships related to getting their tech into a usable, licensable state. Combine that with GT Interactive deciding to release Blood 2 "on schedule" rather than take a little extra time and money to apply some much-needed polish, and it was a rough time for sure.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

As poo poo as it is now, I can't even comprehend what a developer/publisher relationship was like back then, especially for all of the garbo companies that went under.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

All I can say about Monolith is that they made some really...interesting stuff back in 94-95.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxmo_LJdXBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GHnzM-YD1M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFxIBZsLEts

Oh yeah also that kick rear end Windows 95 Game Sampler. Spent months playing the demos in it and exploring the virtual space station.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Negrostrike posted:

Oh yeah also that kick rear end Windows 95 Game Sampler. Spent months playing the demos in it and exploring the virtual space station.

"DOS is dead" was a Monolith thing, right before they released a game for DOS?
Also the vids at least explain the company name a bit.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 15, 2019

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Barudak posted:

I played Shogo and all I can remember is boy loving howdy do you die fast, explosions being ripperous hell portals to the death dimension.

Yeah, the AI just has microsecond reaction times and I don't think it can ever actually miss, so you better be savescumming so you can shoot things the instant you round a corner.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

that quake 1.5 mod looks cool

i really like the super shotgun model they have but im not 100% on some of the others.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Flannelette posted:

"DOS is dead" was a Monolith thing, right before they released a game for DOS?
Also the vids at least explain the company name a bit.

Just a bit, heh.
Also yeah, I forgot about the "DOS is dead" thing. Their first game was released for Win95, sure, but I guess they could only do so much about Blood.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
The nice thing about studying Computer Networking is I can reliably mention Quake and my professors will have some kind of nostalgia for it.

I am supposedly 1v1ing the Dean at some point.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

THE BAR posted:

He literally threw live bees at his staff, of whom some were allergic. For science, you see.

I thought that was a skit that everyone was in on not actually throwing bees at people?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sdoots posted:

The nice thing about studying Computer Networking is I can reliably mention Quake and my professors will have some kind of nostalgia for it.

I am supposedly 1v1ing the Dean at some point.

Oh my god, this is great. My experience with that sort of thing was teaching game audio in 2011-2012, and playing Halo Reach (FOR THE SOUND DESIGN!) with my class.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Convex posted:

In case anyone doesn't already have them, Deus Ex, Thief Gold and Thief II (also the other two Thief games that aren't as good) are 69p each on Steam right now.

Oh hey thanks, I somehow never got a copy of Thief 2. Daikatana is also on sale and I am disturbingly tempted.

(Less relevant to the thread: I also picked up a couple Tomb Raider titles 'cause I've been itching to play that recently. Specifically Anniversary and the first of the newest reboot.)

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Keiya posted:

Oh hey thanks, I somehow never got a copy of Thief 2.

You’re in for a treat. Be sure to jump into the world of fan missions afterwards too. It’s also had a devoted mission making community making stuff for years and years and the best ones are really impressive. There’s around 750 available for the second game by the looks.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

People were talking about the Metro games in this thread earlier, what difficulty/mode would you guys recommend a first timer play through 2033 Redux on?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

fadam posted:

People were talking about the Metro games in this thread earlier, what difficulty/mode would you guys recommend a first timer play through 2033 Redux on?

I recommend just playing through on Normal difficulty the first time, or Ranger Easy if you prefer immersive stuff like scrounging for ammo and the crosshair being disabled. Hardcore and Ranger Hardcore are for masochists or people who already know their way around the game. Regarding gamemode, it's up to you. Here's the official blurb on the gamemodes (which are new in Redux):

quote:

Each title can be played in one of two difficulty modes: Survival or Spartan. Survival is modeled after Metro 2033, having more limited supplies and ammunition, lower reload speeds and tougher enemy AI. Spartan makes the game more action-oriented and gives players more resources, in the style of Metro Last Light.

Therefore I recommend playing 2033 in Survival and Last Light in Spartan, since that's the way they were originally, but both have been rebalanced for each mode so that it works with whichever you want to play with.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh my god, this is great. My experience with that sort of thing was teaching game audio in 2011-2012, and playing Halo Reach (FOR THE SOUND DESIGN!) with my class.

Since a lot of the console commands in Quake apparently behave or resemble UNIX, one of the things we'll be doing after getting a networked UNIX install going is a class-wide deathmatch.

I have a feeling maybe one or two people besides myself will actually have any fun, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Keiya posted:

I thought that was a skit that everyone was in on not actually throwing bees at people?

No. He released bees into the office to "prove" bee allergies don't exist after an employee mentioned that she had deadly bee allergies.