Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've been putting off watching Stalker for years because no matter how great I hear it is, it just looks super slow and I'm like "Eh I'll watch it later".

Apparently I drunk ordered the Criterion Blu Ray last week and forgot about it. Did drunk me make the right choice goons? Apparently it was 25 bux too which is hella more than I've paid for a movie in years.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Dang restoration looks good though. If I was drunk you, I would order it too.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Stalker is extremely slow, long, and ambiguous; and as soon as I finished it for the first time I wanted to watch it again.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Slow movies are good movies.
It ain't bluray, but Mosfilm officially put it up on Youtube in 1080P with subs, if you can return the disk and get your money back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGRDYpCmMcM

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 14, 2019

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I've read a few film novelizations before, but what was the first one? Any idea why they decided to write a book based on a movie? Wouldn't they worry that would detract from ticket sales? And do they still have those novelizations written?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Leavemywife posted:

I've read a few film novelizations before, but what was the first one? Any idea why they decided to write a book based on a movie? Wouldn't they worry that would detract from ticket sales? And do they still have those novelizations written?

IDK, but I have a copy of the novelisation for John Carpenter's The Thing, which is based on the short story "Who goes there?" by John Campbell. It's a weird text to film to text deal, though if they ever did another Thing movie, a period piece would be the best. Just go full 40s manly man with it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
According to Wikipedia, the first major novelisation of a Hollywood movie was apparently King Kong.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Wheat Loaf posted:

According to Wikipedia, the first major novelisation of a Hollywood movie was apparently King Kong.

CHAPTER 1

Turmoil has engulfed the Jungle Republic. The taxation of banana routes to outlying tree systems is in dispute.

Hoping to resolve the matter with a blockade of deadly creatures, the greedy Dino Federation has stopped all shipping to the small atoll of Skull Island.

While the Congress of the Apes endlessly debates this alarming chain of events, the Supreme Chancellor has secretly dispatched King Kong, the guardian of peace and justice in the jungle, to settle the conflict....

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The novelization for E.T. had the alien really loving M&M's instead of Reese's Pieces, which as a child really ticked me off. Of course aliens like peanut butter.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

CHAPTER 1

Turmoil has engulfed the Jungle Republic. The taxation of banana routes to outlying tree systems is in dispute.

Hoping to resolve the matter with a blockade of deadly creatures, the greedy Dino Federation has stopped all shipping to the small atoll of Skull Island.

While the Congress of the Apes endlessly debates this alarming chain of events, the Supreme Chancellor has secretly dispatched King Kong, the guardian of peace and justice in the jungle, to settle the conflict....

Kong shot first, no matter what the special editions said.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One interesting example is 2001: A Space Odyssey because Kubrick wrote it with input from Clarke and drawing influence from some of Clarke's short stories, but Clarke was writing the novel concurrently and they came out around the same time, so neither is really an adaptation of the other.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Krispy Wafer posted:

The novelization for E.T. had the alien really loving M&M's instead of Reese's Pieces, which as a child really ticked me off. Of course aliens like peanut butter.

Didn't it also have a bunch of weird stuff where ET wants to have sex with Elliot's mom? I seem to remember an excerpt somewhere about how goddamn strange it was.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Almost Blue posted:

Didn't it also have a bunch of weird stuff where ET wants to have sex with Elliot's mom? I seem to remember an excerpt somewhere about how goddamn strange it was.

I was a child so if there were any <wink wink> scenes they would have blown over my head.

Although the scene with Elliot's mom, a jar of peanut butter, and an excited alien makes more sense now.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
A lot of the time the novelization is based on an earlier script so it might have stuff that never made it into the movie. For example, the Alien/Aliens novelizations have all the cut scenes in them as well as some they never even filmed.

Movies used to have comic book adaptations too since before home video there wasn’t a way to re-experience them after they left the theater. I’ve heard that Alien and Outland are the only two comic book adaptations worth a drat.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

That can't be right, I swear I've seen one for the 1925 Thief of Bagdad.

Yep, here it is:

Goodreads Link

EDIT: And also there was one for Metropolis.

To go back to the question, most major, big budget movies in the early days were based on books, so the ones that weren't didn't have the benefit of prior publicity, so they'd put out a novelization to sort of market the film and give it a hint of literary respectability.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 14, 2019

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When I was little, I had the novelisation of Phantom Menace, but it was the children's version so it had a few pages of full-colour photographs in the middle.

Some time later, I found my dad's old copy of the novelisation of Return of the Jedi, which was also the children's version and also had photographs in the middle. Why he had the children's version is a mystery to me because my dad was 20 when that movie came out.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I remember at one the book fairs in middle school there was a novelization of Jurassic Park

Makes sense I guess, since the original book is pretty different from the movie.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

When I was little, I had the novelisation of Phantom Menace, but it was the children's version so it had a few pages of full-colour photographs in the middle.

Some time later, I found my dad's old copy of the novelisation of Return of the Jedi, which was also the children's version and also had photographs in the middle. Why he had the children's version is a mystery to me because my dad was 20 when that movie came out.

I had some weird novelization of The Phantom Menace that was only from Anakin's first-person perspective. I remember I liked it a lot as a kid, probably because I didn't have to read about intergalactic trade negotiations and treaties.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pussy Quipped posted:

I had some weird novelization of The Phantom Menace that was only from Anakin's first-person perspective. I remember I liked it a lot as a kid, probably because I didn't have to read about intergalactic trade negotiations and treaties.

I think that would have been one of the Episode I Adventure Journals. There was also a Padme one and a Darth Maul one and probably some others.

Here's a fun one: Max Allan Collins wrote the comic book Road To Perdition, which was adapted into a film, which was then novelised by... Max Allan Collins!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Krispy Wafer posted:

That's because the novelization was probably based on an early script, M&Ms wouldn't give them permission to use 'em in the movie and Reese's did. Probably the reason Reese's Pieces are still around today.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm looking for some examples of movies that take place a lot on phones. Not necessarily anything gimmicky, but just where phones have a lot of screen time (I'm looking for good VFX compositing references for phones).

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Do you think Cellular would count? It's on Netflix, and the main character basically always has a phone in his hand, from what I remember.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

BonoMan posted:

I'm looking for some examples of movies that take place a lot on phones. Not necessarily anything gimmicky, but just where phones have a lot of screen time (I'm looking for good VFX compositing references for phones).

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0183649/?ref=m_nv_sr_1

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
That's what I get for going to fast and leaving out important details.

I need for smartphones to have a lot of screen time. Doh!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Locke probably has a lot of smartphone insert shots

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think that would have been one of the Episode I Adventure Journals. There was also a Padme one and a Darth Maul one and probably some others.

Here's a fun one: Max Allan Collins wrote the comic book Road To Perdition, which was adapted into a film, which was then novelised by... Max Allan Collins!

David Morrell wrote "First Blood", in which at the conclusion, Rambo dies.

He went on to novelize "Rambo II" and "Rambo III". (To be fair, he did it because he wanted to try something new, which was adapting someone else's work).

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

BonoMan posted:

Have you seen Searching, the John Cho film that came out last year? My understanding is that phone screens/computer screens/ technology factor very heavily into the film’s presentation.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Hardcore Henry has some cell phone usage as a plot device

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BonoMan posted:

That's what I get for going to fast and leaving out important details.

I need for smartphones to have a lot of screen time. Doh!

The Sherlock show starring Dr Strange, TV show instead of a movie, but Gossip Girl uses smart phones all the time.

(I was about to warn you they use a fake UI on Gossip Girl until I remembered it's all Windows phones so it just looks like a fake UI).

Troutpack
Dec 29, 2008

He wants to watch him suffer.

Davros1 posted:

David Morrell wrote "First Blood", in which at the conclusion, Rambo dies.

They also filmed it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp1mdSQ4BfI

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Skwirl posted:

The Sherlock show starring Dr Strange, TV show instead of a movie, but Gossip Girl uses smart phones all the time.

(I was about to warn you they use a fake UI on Gossip Girl until I remembered it's all Windows phones so it just looks like a fake UI).

Also the best UI. :colbert: thanks for the responses y'all!

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

And used it as a part of Rambo's nightmares in Rambo.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
I recently got the BFI Werner Herzog Blu ray collection and a bunch of the films have German and English language versions, I was going to watch them in the language they were shot in which for a couple of them is English but read in a few places that the German dubs are superior, so was wondering which version I should go with for a first time watch?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I don't know about Fitzcarraldo, but Aguirre doesn't have an original version per se, since everyone spoke their native language on set and the dialogue was recorded later in a studio. The English track came first and is also the only one containing Kinski's original voice. He was supposed to voice himself in the German dub as well, but he demanded a ridiculous sum for the job, so Herzog just went out and hired someone else.

Personally, I actually prefer the German voice actor to Kinski's original voice, but I'd say the difference between the two is minimal enough that you should watch whichever version doesn't require you to read subtitles.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Samuel Clemens posted:

He was supposed to voice himself in the German dub as well, but he demanded a ridiculous sum for the job, so Herzog just went out and hired someone else.

Anyone else hoping that the story would end with "hired himself"?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I recently watched Duck Soup for the first time and it's got me on a bit of a Marx Brothers kick, I'm really enjoying it.

One thing though, does anyone else find Harpo equal parts terrifying and funny?

The eyes, that wig, it just deeply creeps me out.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I vaguely recall reading somewhere that in the original Robocop, the notion was that even Murphy's face was faked for OCP / audiences / Murphy himself - hes just a brain in a robot they slapped a face on so that everyone would think he's more human than he is.

Thing is, I can't place it, so for all I know it's a ~fan theory~. Am I misremembering?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 16, 2019

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

MisterBibs posted:

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that in the original Robocop, the notion was that even Murphy's face was faked for OCP / audiences / Murphy himself - hes just a brain in a robot they slapped a face on so that everyone would think he's more human than he is.

Thing is, I can't place it, so for all I know it's a ~fan theory~. Am I misremembering?

No I'm fairly certain one of the OCP people mentions that the face is faked like you said for the reasons you stated

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MisterBibs posted:

In RoboCop 2, Murphy has his wife feel his face, and she recoils in horror, and says, "It's cold." He responds, "They made this to honor him."

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

In RoboCop 2, Murphy has his wife feel his face, and she recoils in horror, and says, "It's cold." He responds, "They made this to honor him."

This was my inspiration for the question, actually. I saw that and thought it was a case of Murphy lying his metal rear end off, but then I recalled the Robot With Murphy's Face thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MisterBibs posted:

This was my inspiration for the question, actually. I saw that and thought it was a case of Murphy lying his metal rear end off, but then I recalled the Robot With Murphy's Face thing.

The only indication of that in the original movie is Morton saying they had agreed on total body prosthesis, but that doesn't carry with Murphy still having organic components that need to be sustained with baby food (or a "rudimentary paste") and the ability to feel pain.