Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My hippie sister-in-law tried living in a horse barn for a summer. In a beautiful temperate climate. She'd talk about how she was going to take sunshine showers using one of those bags you sling over a branch and heat up. She lasted about 2 weeks.

A horse barn is waaaaay better than a van.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hoodwinker posted:

I’m 26 and I make six figures a year. My girlfriend and I have been seriously considering quitting our jobs and living in a van. Am I insane?

Bolded part makes me roll my eyes pretty hard. "I've been a software engineer for a year. I can find remote jobs now, right?"

Hi I hate my job. Find a new one? I have "every opportunity" to switch jobs since I'm a programmer? I could retire by fifty? Interesting ideas, but none of that sounds too appealing. I'm still leaning towards going Full Into the Wild. Thanks for the advice, folks.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/texastribune/status/1084945505103286272?s=21

Interesting story given how many of the posts in this thread seem to arise from lovely family situations.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
How big are apartments usually in America?

800 sqft is considered very big where I'm from. Like, I can't even imagine what I'd do with that amount of space without kids.

Stuff like that makes me scream at my younger self for not becoming a software guy.

BWM: My software brother who gets job offers working remotely for $100k+ while living in Poland, but prefers having to go to an office every day and earning ~$25k. Still a lot of money for the living costs, but come on! I get the benefit of having a reason to go out and interact with people, but that's what the fashionable co-working spaces are for. No argument works. gently caress, he could comfortably retire after five years of those wages if he wanted to.

I guess he's happy so GWL?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
800 SF is an absolutely massive 1 BD apartment or a typical 2 BD/1 BA apartment.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Why would they do that? You allow three figures in overdraft privilege, collect ~$100 in fees every month... locking him out of that would be very BWM on the bank's part, especially since they probably know he's in the military and they can always go to his CO if he stops paying.

Beats me, but I've seen it done. Only thing I can think of is they don't want the risk or there's some lending regulation it runs afoul of (not that I can think of one).

I brought you guys some BWM:

Fortnite Streamer's Friend Gives him $75k Donation

Exotic Chaotic posted:

“My girlfriend has worked full-time to support my career as a Fortnite streamer, so I owe it to her and my four-year-old son to protect and grow this money for their futures.”

Kotaku posted:

Exotic Chaotic said his friendship with KingMascot arose from their shared passion for collecting every cosmetic available in Fortnite, but he was “very surprised” about the donation.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

800 sqft is considered very big where I'm from. Like, I can't even imagine what I'd do with that amount of space without kids.

Stuff like that makes me scream at my younger self for not becoming a software guy.

BWM: My software brother who gets job offers working remotely for $100k+ while living in Poland, but prefers having to go to an office every day and earning ~$25k. Still a lot of money for the living costs, but come on! I get the benefit of having a reason to go out and interact with people, but that's what the fashionable co-working spaces are for. No argument works. gently caress, he could comfortably retire after five years of those wages if he wanted to.

800 sq ft is on the larger size for a 1 bedroom but there's no standard size for "apartments in America." In some suburban/ruralish areas it might actually be below average for a 1 bdrm, while in expensive urban areas it would certainly be well above the average.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
640 sq ft ought to be enough for anybody.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

uvar posted:

Tell that to my ex

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/texastribune/status/1084945505103286272?s=21

Interesting story given how many of the posts in this thread seem to arise from lovely family situations.

Sounds like something covered under different laws.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Murderball posted:

Tell that to my ex

Your ex is Bill Gates?? :monocle:

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

uvar posted:

:eyepop:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Harry posted:

Sounds like something covered under different laws.

It says right in the article there's no legal process to deal with debt acquired by coercion, such as an abuser forcing a spouse to open an account (which is partly why this type of abuse is so successful at isolating people who are abused).

What other laws is it covered under?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Murderball posted:

Tell that to my ex
What, was she a size queen?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

BonerGhost posted:

I'd be real surprised if he's been doing this more than a month or two. They'll wait until it goes positive again, take the money to cover the fees/overage, then immediately cut him off from overdraws and/or close the account. My guess is 90 days at most.

Nah, my friend was basically negative in his checking account for close to three years. He always paid back the fees and every single overdraft charge to the bank and would go positive every payday, but about a week later he was 100-200$ negative again. The bank was happy to keep letting him dig that hole twice a month as long as he paid it back plus the fees.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

BonerGhost posted:

It says right in the article there's no legal process to deal with debt acquired by coercion, such as an abuser forcing a spouse to open an account (which is partly why this type of abuse is so successful at isolating people who are abused).

What other laws is it covered under?

Besides the violence and threats, it sounded like he opened up those account under her name while never intending to pay, which is definitely illegal. Looking at the actual bill, all it does is slap "Effective consent" at the end of existing punishment.

Harry fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 15, 2019

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah I worked with a guy who rocketed to the top of our department, blew up at some people in a public meeting, and then "quit" to travel the country in his van. The van broke down like a month later.

basically icarus

Icarus J. Hubris is the name, software van life is the game. At your service! :tipshat:

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Depends hugely. 800 is about the absolute minimum you can construct for a freestanding structure under most building codes in the US but it rarely makes good economic sense to do so. The mean apartment size in the US is about 950 sq ft but it is significantly smaller in tight urban markets such as NYC where the number is closer to 700 due to both small legacy units on the market and the high sq footage value of new construction. The smallest legal units in most markets are around 400 sqft.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

uvar posted:

Anything above 700 sqft qualifies as a mansion.

Jan 11, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Anything above 700 sqft qualifies as a mansion.

$100,001+ or 701+ sq/ft = guillotine

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibP5IQxId34

P much the only GWM van life is to work in finance, live in your van, quit and gently caress off with your boat.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

The smallest legal units in most markets are around 400 sqft.

lol 400sqft is a luxury in NYC.

Again, living in NYC is BWM.

Jan 11, 2004

Fhqwhgads posted:

lol 400sqft is a luxury in NYC.

Again, living in NYC is BWM.

Until 2016 the smallest legal unit in New York City was 400 square feet with the exception of grandfathered SROs. Granted there are a ton of illegal units on the market but there are few compliant units much smaller than that. By current building code the smallest legal units are theoretically speaking 150 square feet with a bathroom inside the room but the smallest legal micro units are generally in the mid 300s sqft because nobody wants to live in a prison cell looking at their toilet in the corner of the room and there is a sweet spot of market rent vs construction expenses/wasted dead space on walls and utilities.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
NYC has a city law requiring minimum unit sizes? And the minimum is 400?

That's insane. 350 SF studios are plenty spacious and you'd think NYC of all places would welcome high density living.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

There are a bunch of new units in Seattle that are around 150 sqft, there's a certain name for them, something around "communal living." they're basically dorms with a communal kitchen and laundry room.

My husband and I lived in 500sqft with our two cats for two years and we wanted to murder each other.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

My husband and I lived in 500sqft with our two cats for two years and we wanted to murder each other.
Who won?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

SiGmA_X posted:

I am negative 110 dollars a month, and dropping... I have cut everything I can and it's getting worse.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/afdj97/i_am_negative_110_dollars_a_month_and_dropping_i/
Humm if the "gas/food" includes the $200/mo he spends on gas and the $6-7/day in lunch, I think we could find a way to cut some money. Bring lunch to work.
It's a family of 4 with an income of 24k a year. They are able to get SNAP benefits more than $110 a month.

I put his info through the first calculator I found on Google: https://aix-xweb1p.state.or.us/caf_xweb/SNAP_Estimate/frmEstimate.cfm

SNAP Benefit Estimate Results
This ESTIMATE is based on your income only! Cost allowed in this estimate may be less than you reported.
You entered the following:
Number in house: 4
Elderly or Disabled members in house: FALSE
Total Income: $2200
Rent/Mortgage: $675
Utility: I pay for heat separate from rent.
Dependent Care: $0
Child Support Paid: $0
Medical Costs: $0
Based on your entries, you may qualify for SNAP Benefits up to $262.00.

Since he put "gas" under "electric" that sounds to me like he has a natural gas line to his place and uses that for heat. It's $229 if I pick "I pay for non-heat utilities only"

kimbo305 posted:

The Sequoia is pretty reliable, but it's an SUV, not a minivan.
Yeah, and it's getting long in the tooth depending on if he lives in a rust belt area, but the combination of "Get a bonus, pay off credit card debt" and "Buy the $51k VW Golf before you actually get the $160k pay holy poo poo HOW DO YOU SPEND THAT MUCH ON A GOLF?" is a keeper.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 15, 2019

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

There are a bunch of new units in Seattle that are around 150 sqft, there's a certain name for them, something around "communal living." they're basically dorms with a communal kitchen and laundry room.

SEDUs

http://www.seattle.gov/sdci/codes/codes-we-enforce-(a-z)/small-efficiency-dwelling-units

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

$100,001+ or 701+ sq/ft = guillotine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq__Z-Z_Ofs

13 Families.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Dik Hz posted:

Who won?

I say I won because I found the 800sqft place we moved into. He reads this thread and may have another snarky answer, though.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

George H.W. oval office posted:

P much the only GWM

code:

ERROR: DOES NOT COMPUTE

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Krispy Wafer posted:

My hippie sister-in-law tried living in a horse barn for a summer. In a beautiful temperate climate. She'd talk about how she was going to take sunshine showers using one of those bags you sling over a branch and heat up. She lasted about 2 weeks.

A horse barn is waaaaay better than a van.

Long, long time ago, my family went camping to a Forest Service campground up near Glacier Park. UFS campgrounds are basically a level area where you can park a camper, with room for a firepit and picnic table. There is usually a outhouse. So not fancy.

The Forest Service would hire people to keep an eye on the campground, watch for fires and welcome people. Basically a job that usually given out to some retirees who summer up here, and then retreat to Arizona in the winter. This year, the couple staying there were in their mid 20's and were relying on that stipend to live. Apparently that stipend isn't much, and they were barely able to keep up on food. One of the rangers would drop off some cans when he came by. Plus whatever other campers would leave them.
I think camping is fun and all, but showers are pretty rad.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

George H.W. oval office posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibP5IQxId34

P much the only GWM van life is to work in finance, live in your van, quit and gently caress off with your boat.
He's psychopath for sure, he ticks so many of the boxes. Risk taking!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Murderball posted:

Tell that to my ex
Bill Gates just didn't want to put a ring on you in the 90s.

I mean, in his defense, you were 12.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Also Apodments.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

uvar posted:

More than livable for a single person. For a couple it can be annoying because there is essentially no private space from each other. Unless you want to work or entertain yourself separately in the bedroom.

e: I live in the Midwest.

There's never a good place for a litter box in that small of a space too. If it can't fit in the bathroom then it's in the living room or bedroom.

e2: And if they're like my cats, then they're assholes and only like to poo poo when you're presently in the room.

CmdrRiker fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 15, 2019

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"We already live pretty minimally in an 800 sq ft apartment and don’t foresee the limited space being an issue."

Does this guy know vans are like 60sf??

Ahem, the world is my living room now.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

CmdrRiker posted:

More than livable for a single person. For a couple it can be annoying because there is essentially no private space from each other. Unless you want to work or entertain yourself separately in the bedroom.

e: I live in the Midwest.

Also, if you or your spouse works from home it's nice (not necessary, but really nice) to be able to separate the work space from your home space just to maintain sanity. Nothing like putting in eight hours and then going to bed next to your work desk when you're done.

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

It came from art school reddit :witch:

quote:

Hi. I went to an art school back in the late 90s. Graduated in 99'. I was on the phone with my mother last night and she was crying. Apparently she was under the impression that the student loans she took out for me would be taken off when she turns 65 and retires. I'm not entirely sure why she would think that (she blames Obama) but she hasn't been paying this loan for close to twenty years. I'm not entirely sure sure what it's at now with interest. I already paid off my portion which was close to $30k nearly ten years ago even though I was making next to nothing money wise. My mother has been horrible with her finances. She has no savings or 401k and believes she can retire next year.
https://old.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9onyjn/student_loan_debt_my_mother_owes/?st=jqzams7e&sh=833abf0f

quote:

I'm 27, in 400K student debt, 4K+ of credit card debt, and have 1.5-2K in collections, considering bankruptcy. What are my options?

So here's what it is. I went to a prestigious art school in California for my Bachelors and Masters degrees. Unfortunately I did not get too much scholarship, and ended up saddling myself with loans every year. For the first two or three I took on private loans, but after the laws changed I was able to get most of my tuition in either subsidized or unsubsidized federal loans. This left me with, after leaving school, just under $400,000 in debt. During my 7 years in school, I worked different jobs, which really only afforded me enough to pay for my personal expenses, incl. rent, food, gas, etc. As in, not enough to help pay for school as well. As it stands, after graduating, I have on my private loans a monthly $1800 payment I cannot afford.

Now, I was studying film, so I needed money to pay for my thesis film, which cost around $4000 to produce, ended up putting a lot of that on two credit cards, one of which I stopped paying over a year ago and the other I just recently couldn't afford to keep paying. So now about $5000 in credit card debt.

I haven't even talked about the debt I have in collections, I'm not going to go into detail but suffice it to say that while I was in school, once I only had time to take on one job rather than two, I could no longer to afford my bills, medical, phone bill, etc., so now that's about $1000 to 2000 in collections total.

Now I am working, but it is under the table. I make about $23K and I decided to stay under the table so I could actually get health benefits and stave off my federal student loans. I know, I know, this is not just wrong, it is illegal. I realize that. I wouldn't do it if I could afford a plan on the healthcare exchange and I just cannot.

Where I'm at now is figuring out my options. I am looking for a better job, one that actually pays well and has benefits, but right now I'm worried that that will force me to pay for loans I cannot afford.

I'm strongly considering bankruptcy. What are my options? Do you need more information? I will edit if required. Thank you.

EDIT: not sure why my story got downvoted so many times, but regardless thank you guys for the insight and perspective. I really appreciate this, and I'll do my best to update if things go well. If not, well then I guess you'll see me sleeping on the Venice Boardwalk with a dancing pet monkey.
https://old.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4vzidp/im_27_in_400k_student_debt_4k_of_credit_card_debt/?st=jqzb4qps&sh=4e818c63

quote:

142K in Student Debt, roughly half way on half the for PSLF forgiveness, make 44k a yr,

..Art school, at the time it all seemed reasonable, was excited and following my dream. Originally the loan was less but with my small payments and capitalized interest a few times from various life events.... Anyway, I'm on IBR, I can't afford more than that (maybe should note I live in NYC). Very good credit. I have 10 Loans, 81k-7 loans are Direct and at 6.5%(all but 1). 61k-3 are 2x Stafford and a Grad Plus,(2x6.5 and 8.25)

I teach one class, and work full time at a Non profit art college. Sometimes they give me another class, or I pick up a freelance gig and I'm closer to 50k, One day I'm hoping I can teach full time, but for now I'm ready to move on to something else, but keep the teaching hopefully. Which lead me to look into all this closer. Wish I had long ago. I have 48ish payments that qualify for Loan forgiveness(need 120). On 2 of the loans I'm a little further, maybe 60 qualifying, and 2 others somewhere in the mid fifties. Currently trying to find the exact number, but they dont really make it easy.

I was unfortunately under the impression the Staffords and Grad Plus loan were part of this. Or I would have consolidated sooner. I'm a fool for not knowing this. Right now my plan is to consolidate those 3 into another Direct, and probably go the PSFL route 10 yrs, I'm not sure my income will radically change anytime soon, and I guess keep looking for a job in the non profit sector. Unless some creative high paying job comes my way. Anyway, any constructive plans of action would be appreciated.
https://old.reddit.com/r/StudentLoans/comments/5t2kuz/142k_in_student_debt_roughly_half_way_on_half_the/?st=jqzazf17&sh=1a181f9b

Yes please make art, no, please don't go to art school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Got this chain email this morning.

quote:

The empty branches in the trees, the cold winter wind, and snow in the driveway can only mean one thing: football playoffs.

I’ll duly admit to being a fair-weather fan. If the Mighty Ravens aren't in the annual tournament, I’m not that interested.

But they were this year, and how they played has something to say about how winners invest.

Football, like the stock market, is a game of matchups. The Ravens beat the L.A. Chargers handily to get into the playoffs. The Ravens used the speed of their rookie running quarterback Lamar Jackson to keep the Chargers guessing and back on their heels while their staunch defense blitzed almost every play.

In their second matchup two weeks later, the Chargers made adjustments by putting in smaller, quicker safeties as linebackers. The Ravens should have made the obvious adjustment to this and put in their largest players on offense and simply run them over.

This didn’t happen; the Mighty Ravens lost, and offensive play-caller Marty Mornhinweg was fired.

The next week, the Evil Patriots of Boston played the Chargers. Their coach used Baltimore's defensive tactic of blitzing on every play and kept the Chargers off balance, and at the same time they ran the ball down the Chargers’ throat and won handily.

It is the Patriots’ coach Belichick’s ability to adjust to his opponent that makes him a perennial Super Bowl contender.

Back to Investing

The most common investment advice you get is to dollar-cost average for the long term and, whatever you do, don’t try to time the market.

This is good advice for your average investor who doesn't know a price-to-earnings ratio from a dividend yield. You just feed your 401(k) every paycheck, and you will be much better off than half of your peers who don’t even do that.

However, because you are taking the time to read this and presumably other investment insight, you are much smarter than the average investor and want to do even better.

Of course, the money managers and 401(k) hacks tell you never to sell or try to time the market. But if you are selling when shares are expensive and buying when they are cheap, is that market timing? Or just good investing?

I’ve written before about my favorite chart: Warren Buffett’s cash position.

As you can see by the chart, Buffett has been able to raise cash just before the crashes: 1998–99, 2005–07, and 2017–now.

Then, after the crash, the cash position went down because he started buying stocks.

Sucker’s Rally

Right now the Dow Jones Industrial Average has bounced about 2,000 points from its recent low. This is a sucker's rally. Stocks rarely bounce back in a “V” formation. You should think of it as a gift from the market gods and take some money off the table — cash that you can later put to use buying on the cheap.

Raise Cash, Buy Gold

There are very real signs of a slowdown in China and the EU: Car sales are falling. Plants are closing. Housing around the world is slowing, as Chinese money is no longer flooding out of China.

One market that is in the early stages of a bull market is gold. Don’t believe me? Look at this chart:

That’s the gold ETF (GLD). Higher lows and higher highs are the definition of a bull market. We have higher lows (the circles on the chart) but have yet to hit new highs.

Bull markets are like walking up stairs. If GLD breaks above 130, we are off to the races and will be testing the old all-time highs.

Use the current rally to raise cash and buy some gold.

All the best,

SNIP NAME Signature

SNIP NAME

"They say don't try to time the market, but you're so smart and handsome and smell nice so here's how to time the market!"