Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
If it's the t-fal with the red dot in the middle, they're all like that (at least the three I've owned).

IIRC it's by design but it's also slightly annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Shere posted:

If it's the t-fal with the red dot in the middle, they're all like that (at least the three I've owned).

Hope you like your sunny side up eggs all bunched up in the sides, am I right?

Got my 2nd Woll Diamond Lite Pro and lid. (Parents got it for me for Xmas when they came to visit. This poo poo is like some German nazi occult poo poo with how nonstick it is. Like splash water inside it and it’s clean.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

Shere posted:

It's more sth like this: https://www.amazon.com/ITSS-Aluminium-Stainless-Coating-Diameter/dp/B01HO1YCJC/

Though I'm less interested in whether it's by design and more in whether that's what I'm looking for. Some people say the pan shouldn't be perfectly level because it will deform and get flat as it heats up. Other people say that's bullshit. No idea what's true.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Entenzahn posted:

It's more sth like this: https://www.amazon.com/ITSS-Aluminium-Stainless-Coating-Diameter/dp/B01HO1YCJC/

Though I'm less interested in whether it's by design and more in whether that's what I'm looking for. Some people say the pan shouldn't be perfectly level because it will deform and get flat as it heats up. Other people say that's bullshit. No idea what's true.

IANAProChef, but every pan I have ever owned that DOES warp when heated, bubbles up in the middle. So one that already had a little raise seems like it would not go the other way. But what do I know?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My 12" tfal had the center bump, comes that way, but the 10" is heavier duty and flat.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The only pan I ever owned with a bump in the middle was a cheap T-fal. I hated it and felt like I was always fighting the pan to get oils or sauces evenly distributed. My new T-fal, from one of their more expensive lines (a whopping $40 instead of $25) is properly flat. Therefore, I'd return anything I got that wasn't flat, whether it was designed that way or not.

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 28, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah, it seems there are two quality levels of tfal.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Entenzahn posted:

It's bullshit, get a flat pan.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I recently received my order of the Misen Complete cookware set - fully clad with lids. They are absolutely beautiful (though a bit heavy), and based on an initial inspection, very high quality. I will be breaking them in this weekend, looking forward to it!!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
What are your thoughts on the IKEA frying pans? I'm looking at the 11" stainless steel one (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60324544/) and this 9" non-stick one for eggs and what not (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10292098/)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Busy Bee posted:

What are your thoughts on the IKEA frying pans? I'm looking at the 11" stainless steel one (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60324544/) and this 9" non-stick one for eggs and what not (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10292098/)

They're trash but their $10 teflon ones make good egg pans even considering you have to replace them every 6 months.

e: Yeah that second one is probably fine for a nonstick but I wouldn't expect the coating to last, and the first pan I dunno I bet within a few high heat cycles it'd be like one of those mirrors they hang from the ceiling in warehouses so you can see around the corner driving a forklift.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nonsticks are disposable, treat em like such

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

They're trash but their $10 teflon ones make good egg pans even considering you have to replace them every 6 months.

e: Yeah that second one is probably fine for a nonstick but I wouldn't expect the coating to last, and the first pan I dunno I bet within a few high heat cycles it'd be like one of those mirrors they hang from the ceiling in warehouses so you can see around the corner driving a forklift.

What would you recommend I purchase for a stainless steel pan? I see a lot of pans saying they are stainless steel but has an aluminum layer for better heat distribution + non stick coating. But maybe full stainless is better? I'm not in the states so unfortunately the first post in this thread is not applicable to me. Seems like the most popular brand on the Amazon website where I'm in is Tefal / WMF / DeBuyer / Fissler.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 31, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There are two main categories of steel pans for consumers:

A) disc bottom pans, which have a disc of steel/aluminum/steel on the bottom and sides that are just steel

B) multi-ply or tru-ply or multi-clad pans, which are steel/aluminum/steel throughout the whole pan

B is superior in heat distribution but costs a little more. It used to be that they were rare and cost a lot more but now they’re pretty common and only cost a little more.

Here’s a good one that’s cheap and I can easily recommend
https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MC...iscL&ref=plSrch

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

There are two main categories of steel pans for consumers:

A) disc bottom pans, which have a disc of steel/aluminum/steel on the bottom and sides that are just steel

B) multi-ply or tru-ply or multi-clad pans, which are steel/aluminum/steel throughout the whole pan

B is superior in heat distribution but costs a little more. It used to be that they were rare and cost a lot more but now they’re pretty common and only cost a little more.

Here’s a good one that’s cheap and I can easily recommend
https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MC...iscL&ref=plSrch

Got it, thank you! However, that recommendation is not available in Europe. Seems like the most popular stainless steel pans in my market's Amazon is Tefal / WMF / DeBuyer / Fissler.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Busy Bee posted:

Got it, thank you! However, that recommendation is not available in Europe. Seems like the most popular stainless steel pans in my market's Amazon is Tefal / WMF / DeBuyer / Fissler.

He gave you enough information to figure it out regardless of market. Look for something that says steel clad aluminum or three layer or multi-layer in the description or, literally describes layers of steel and aluminum (or copper).

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Does anyone have any experience with Indian mixies, or mixer/grinders? I cook a lot of Indian food and it's kind of a pain to break out the mortar and pestle every time I want to make a little paste. There are a few competing brands, even of the much smaller 110V selection, and I don't want to waste money on a subpar product. Most of the reviews I can find aren't in English, so I guess what I'm asking is, what brand should I go for?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I heard that coffee grinders are also good at grinding spices, though you'd probably want one just for spices unless you want to have coffee in the mix or vice versa.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Mraagvpeine posted:

I heard that coffee grinders are also good at grinding spices, though you'd probably want one just for spices unless you want to have coffee in the mix or vice versa.

I have a coffee grinder for spices, and it works great. It doesn't have the power to make garlic/ginger paste, nut pastes, etc though, and it's a pain to clean since the bowl isn't removable.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I live in India and I have heard some good stuff about Preethi brand stuff (dunno if they sell that where you are) but there are definitely a lot of Amazon reviews saying "this thing sucks" and I haven't bought one yet so I dunno I guess.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I clean my coffee grinder by grinding rice then wiping it out with a damp towel. Works for grinding dried hot peppers, no spicy coffee after although that wouldn't be the worst thing.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

wormil posted:

I just bought this, it has met my expectations so far. It's toasts evenly in about 2.5 min for light.

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NB..._pop_d_pd_title

I got this and it's been working well. Does the whole LED display blink on and off during toasting for you too or is that just mine?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Booyah- posted:

I got this and it's been working well. Does the whole LED display blink on and off during toasting for you too or is that just mine?

Mine also blinks.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Does anyone know if I could use a silicone roasting tray in an enameled dutch oven?

Thinking of this in particular: https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Si...J1F8G1G7DC&th=1

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Probably, but to do what?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I need to replace my worn out kitchen towels. I was going to buy a 50 pack of bar towels but my wife is vetoing the idea, she is afraid of white towels. I don't like those bulky pretty towels sold in department stores and they aren't very absorbent either. What do you guys like for kitchen towels?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
50 packs of white terry towels for $20 from Costco. If one gets permanent stains I just toss it.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Best of both worlds is cheap, workhorse towels you keep in a cabinet and actually use as towels, and a few decorative towels that just decorate.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Steve Yun posted:

50 packs of white terry towels for $20 from Costco. If one gets permanent stains I just toss it.

Like these? We don't have a costco membership.
https://smile.amazon.com/Shop-Towels-Pack-Reusable-Cotton/dp/B00UF7UNTQ/

Actually, probably like these?
https://smile.amazon.com/Cleaning-Solutions-79118-Purpose-Commercial/dp/B07CRQ943N/

Enigma posted:

Best of both worlds is cheap, workhorse towels you keep in a cabinet and actually use as towels, and a few decorative towels that just decorate.

That would work great for me.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
You’re massively overthinking this

Or, gitmo moneyson parachute spotted?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Lawnie posted:

You’re massively overthinking this

Or, gitmo moneyson parachute spotted?
How so?

I need a translation.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Either one! $20-22 is super cheap and they’ll last at least a year before most of them are permanently stained. You can even set aside some “keep these clean” towels and some “let these get dirty” towels in different piles semi-permanently

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

How so?

I need a translation.

They’re just towels, find whatever is cheapest in whatever size bulk you need on amazon with an agreeable appearance to your SO.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/products/williams-sonoma-striped-towels-navy/?pkey=cdish-cloths-towels&isx=0.0
These are my favorite. I think I’ve had the same half a dozen for 5 years now? They maybe have a few stains and are starting to get a little tired, but they’ve held up very well.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/products/williams-sonoma-striped-towels-navy/?pkey=cdish-cloths-towels&isx=0.0
These are my favorite. I think I’ve had the same half a dozen for 5 years now? They maybe have a few stains and are starting to get a little tired, but they’ve held up very well.

I also have these and I’d buy them again

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Lawnie posted:

They’re just towels, find whatever is cheapest in whatever size bulk you need on amazon with an agreeable appearance to your SO.

Sorry, I didn't realize there was a vetting process for questions. Towels are probably the MOST used thing in my kitchen, by far, and we dirty 2-3 per day. The last time I mentioned (in passing, an off hand remark really) buying white towels my wife ran out and bought a stack of pretty color towels with an agreeable appearance and they suck. They have been washed so many times they are starting to fray and a couple have holes and they are still not very absorbent. So I went out and picked out some "just towels" in bulk that were inexpensive (basically your advice) and guess what, they suck too. We are not in a crisis situation so I'm going to take a minute and ask because I don't think it does any harm and I'll probably get some valuable advice. Are we good or do I need to justify my question some more?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I saw those recommended on a few sites but I never know if they actually tried them or just picked something that pays affiliate money. I'll show her these.

Steve Yun posted:

Either one! $20-22 is super cheap and they’ll last at least a year before most of them are permanently stained. You can even set aside some “keep these clean” towels and some “let these get dirty” towels in different piles semi-permanently

Yeah I'm all about throwing things away that don't live up to expectations or are too dirty but my wife and her family are one of those 'use what you have until it falls apart and don't expect better,' kind of families. As time goes by I have less tolerance for underperforming products. I'd throw away half our kitchen gear but my wife would be in tears (literally). I'll grab some of those and give them a try.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sever, op

samco
Oct 10, 2012

Murgos posted:

He gave you enough information to figure it out regardless of market. Look for something that says steel clad aluminum or three layer or multi-layer in the description or, literally describes layers of steel and aluminum (or copper).

Busy Bee for what its worth I've been using the IKEA pans you posted originally and have been finding them fine. The stainless steel one you posted is tri-ply as Murgos is describing here and they put a 25-year warranty on it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

wormil posted:

The last time I mentioned (in passing, an off hand remark really) buying white towels my wife ran out and bought a stack of pretty color towels with an agreeable appearance and they suck.

My wife has purchased decorative sets of towels for the seasons and holidays. They don't even absorb water.

I keep some plain but effective towels in a drawer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've had the Misen Complete cooking set for a few weeks now, and would like to sing its praises. It's fully clad stainless steel cookware and I've been using it exclusively to get a handle on how well it performs. In a word, flawlessly. Heating is even, it responds quickly to temperature modification, and cleanup has been suspiciously easy...like, even easier and better than the All-Clad skillet I've had kicking around for several years. I got the set for a little over $300 with a Christmas-time coupon, and while it was a chunk of change, I think that's pretty good for a 10" skillet, 12" skillet, 2 and 3 quart sauciers, 3 quart saute, 6 quart rondeau (which I've used more than anything else and just wish I had a larger burner on my range), and 8 quart stock pot with lids for everything (though two of the lids are shared between pieces).

The only "downside", which is extremely minor, is the weight of the set; these things are pretty heavy. It hasn't been an issue for me though, but for weak-armed people, I'd imagine it can be tough to hold a piece in the air while scraping the contents into a container or something of the sort.

All in all, I'd buy this set again in a heartbeat.