Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rome fell on December 25, 1990, the date The Godfather III came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

But was revived on the 22nd August of 2000, when I, Emperor Libluini XIII, came of age.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Libluini posted:

How cute, the Empire of My rear end

Edit:

Looking at Wikipedia right now. The Trebizond Empire was a lot larger then I thought possible. But don't worry, it was still tiny. :lol:

It's where the Roman Empire meets the Mongol Empire.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Tunicate posted:

Rome fell in 2007 when they stopped making new episodes.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

cheetah7071 posted:

Rome fell in 1204. I will stand behind this.

"Decius was the last Roman" -Gibbon, empirical fact

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lucius Tarquinius Superbus was the last roman.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

cheetah7071 posted:

Rome fell in 1204. I will stand behind this.

Or 1921. Fight me.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Why not throw 1799 and 1849 into the mix?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Tunicate posted:

Fully deserving of a damnatio memoriae.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

the kingdom of Rome, according to Google, fell in 509 BC. everything after that is Byzantines

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Squalid posted:

Levee en masse: Extremely expensive, before modern era only used by Qin China and maybe some other Warring States period Kingdoms? Good Equipment, power projection, massive numbers, excellent organization. Difficult to organize and risks strangling the normal functioning of society as labor is siphoned off into the enormous scale of military activity.

Anything else anyone can think of?

It was the most effectively carried out in the Qin,* but universal conscription was implemented in every one of the Warring States throughout the final phase of the period.

It definitely did not guarantee good equipment though. The soldiers of the terracotta army with full sets of armor and equipment that we all think of as representative of the period would have been the elite; all of the Warring States would have facilities to essentially mass produce weapons and so on, but what would get doled out to your average conscripted farmer would still be pretty minimal.

Also I've been reading about this period for the past year for something and haven't actually gotten to the stuff about tactics of the period yet so I'm a bit shaky about this :v: but as far as I understand it, organization was also not so cut and dry; most strategies were developed explicitly to accommodate for how useless the conscripts would be at following orders properly, in fact. It was still miles above what'd come before though.

*this was the Qin's most significant strength, too; in tactics and especially technology, they were actually if anything behind the curve compared to the other states. But they were ridiculously good at mobilization, and more bodies is what ended up being what mattered in this period.

Also where would you fit in less-universal conscription? I dunno too much about Chinese military history outside of the Warring States, but as I understand it in different periods they basically alternated between the hereditary system you mention for the Tang, and back to conscription again (but less thorough than it was under the Warring States). For Joseon Korea it was definitely like that (along with a smaller professional class that existed at the same time); functionally sort of halfway between your top category and bottom one.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Koramei posted:

It was the most effectively carried out in the Qin,* but universal conscription was implemented in every one of the Warring States throughout the final phase of the period.

It definitely did not guarantee good equipment though. The soldiers of the terracotta army with full sets of armor and equipment that we all think of as representative of the period would have been the elite; all of the Warring States would have facilities to essentially mass produce weapons and so on, but what would get doled out to your average conscripted farmer would still be pretty minimal.

Also I've been reading about this period for the past year for something and haven't actually gotten to the stuff about tactics of the period yet so I'm a bit shaky about this :v: but as far as I understand it, organization was also not so cut and dry; most strategies were developed explicitly to accommodate for how useless the conscripts would be at following orders properly, in fact. It was still miles above what'd come before though.

*this was the Qin's most significant strength, too; in tactics and especially technology, they were actually if anything behind the curve compared to the other states. But they were ridiculously good at mobilization, and more bodies is what ended up being what mattered in this period.

Also where would you fit in less-universal conscription? I dunno too much about Chinese military history outside of the Warring States, but as I understand it in different periods they basically alternated between the hereditary system you mention for the Tang, and back to conscription again (but less thorough than it was under the Warring States). For Joseon Korea it was definitely like that (along with a smaller professional class that existed at the same time); functionally sort of halfway between your top category and bottom one.

The story of the late Qing was the professional hereditary castes turning out to have atrophied to uselessness and getting replaced by the yong ying forces which fit somewhere on the spectrum between mercenaries and professional volunteers. Oh and an awful lot of soldiers who'd be more at home in the bandit category than anywhere else.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Roman didn't fall at all. My friend once went there and he assures me it's still mostly upright.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Will Durant posted:

It is easier to explain Rome’s fall than to account for her long survival. This is the essential accomplishment of Rome—that having won the Mediterranean world she adopted its culture, gave it order, prosperity, and peace for 200 years, held back the tide of barbarism for two centuries more, and transmitted the classic heritage to the West before she died.

Rome has had no rival in the art of government. The Roman state committed a thousand political crimes; it built its edifice upon a selfish oligarchy and an obscurantist priesthood; it achieved a democracy of freemen, and then destroyed it with corruption and violence; it exploited its conquests to support a parasitic Italy, which, when it could no longer exploit, collapsed. Here and there, in East and West, it created a desert and called it peace. But amid all this evil it formed a majestic system of law which through nearly all Europe gave security to life and property, incentive and continuity to industry, from the Decemvirs to Napoleon. It molded a government of separated legislative and executive powers whose checks and balances inspired the makers of constitutions as late as revolutionary America and France. For a time it united monarchy, aristocracy, and democracy so successfully as to win the applause of philosophers, historians, subjects, and enemies. It gave municipal institutions, and for a long period municipal freedom, to half a thousand cities. It administered its Empire at first with greed and cruelty, then with such tolerance and essential justice that the great realm has never again known a like content. It made the desert blossom with civilization, and atoned for its sins with the miracle of a lasting peace. Today our highest labors seek to revive the Pax Romana for a disordered world.

Within that unsurpassed framework Rome built a culture Greek in origin, Roman in application and result. She was too engrossed in government to create as bountifully in the realms of the mind as Greece had done; but she absorbed with appreciation, and preserved with tenacity, the technical, intellectual, and artistic heritage that she had received from Carthage and Egypt, Greece and the East. She made no advance in science, and no mechanical improvements in industry, but she enriched the world with a commerce moving over secure seas, and a network of enduring roads that became the arteries of a lusty life. Along those roads, and over a thousand handsome bridges, there passed to the medieval and modern worlds the ancient techniques of tillage, handicraft, and art, the science of monumental building, the processes of banking and investment, the organization of medicine and military hospitals, the sanitation of cities, and many varieties of fruit and nut trees, of agricultural or ornamental plants, brought from the East to take new root in the West. Even the secret of central heating came from the warm south to the cold north. The south has created the civilizations, the north has conquered and destroyed or borrowed them.

Rome did not invent education, but she developed it on a scale unknown before, gave it state support, and formed the curriculum that persisted till our harassed youth. She did not invent the arch, the vault, or the dome, but she used them with such audacity and magnificence that in some fields her architecture has remained unequaled; and all the elements of the medieval cathedral were prepared in her basilicas. She did not invent the sculptural portrait, but she gave it a realistic power rarely reached by the idealizing Greeks. She did not invent philosophy, but it was in Lucretius and Seneca that Epicureanism and Stoicism found their most finished form. She did not invent the types of literature, not even the satire; but who could adequately record the influence of Cicero on oratory, the essay, and prose style, of Virgil on Dante, Tasso, Milton, ... of Livy and Tacitus on the writing of history, of Horace and Juvenal on Dryden, Swift, and Pope?

Her language became, by a most admirable corruption, the speech of Italy, Rumania, France, Spain, Portugal, and Latin America; half the white man’s world speaks a Latin tongue. Latin was, till the eighteenth century, the Esperanto of science, scholarship, and philosophy in the West; it gave a convenient international terminology to botany and zoology; it survives in the sonorous ritual and official documents of the Roman Church; it still writes medical prescriptions, and haunts the phraseology of the law. It entered by direct appropriation, and again through the Romance languages (regalis, regal, royal; paganus, pagan, peasant), to enhance the wealth and flexibility of English speech. Our Roman heritage works in our lives a thousand times a day.

When Christianity conquered Rome the ecclesiastical structure of the pagan church, the title and vestments of the pontifex maximus, the worship of the Great Mother and a multitude of comforting divinities, the sense of supersensible presences everywhere, the joy or solemnity of old festivals, and the pageantry of immemorial ceremony, passed like maternal blood into the new religion, and captive Rome captured her conqueror. The reins and skills of government were handed down by a dying empire to a virile papacy; the lost power of the broken sword was rewon by the magic of the consoling word; the armies of the state were replaced by the missionaries of the Church moving in all directions along the Roman roads; and the revolted provinces, accepting Christianity, again acknowledged the sovereignty of Rome. Through the long struggles of the Age of Faith the authority of the ancient capital persisted and grew, until in the Renaissance the classic culture seemed to rise from the grave, and the immortal city became once more the center and summit of the world’s life and wealth and art. When, in 1936, Rome celebrated the 2689th anniversary of her foundation, she could look back upon the most impressive continuity of government and civilization in the history of mankind. May she rise again.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Also I went to Reggio Emilia once and all the public buildings had SPQR on them which means Reggio Emilia is Rome.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Koramei posted:

My knowledge of Warring States period China is extremely sparse. Battles descriptions always seem to have absurd troop counts and I have no idea how close they really were to reality vs Herodotus esque exaggeration. I seem to remember battles often involve a lot of building walls?

as to conscription, how is it handled in Korea when it wasn't a hereditary obligation? I guess there's a lot of ways you could slice up society to dump all the burdens of national defense on one group or another. You can also put the obligation on criminals, debtors, slaves. Actually foreign slaves is a pretty common source of soldiers, it was common in the Islamic world and Siam. I believe I was thinking more in terms of theoretically universal, as in requiring 12 months of training/service for all able bodied peasants and then registering them as reserves, obviously normally only a small proportion would be called up. I'm not sure exactly what I was thinking as for some reason I often have trouble remembering what inspired posts made late on weekends :thunk:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The numbers of troops in battles in East Asia are generally thought to be even more inflated than in the west. There are various traditional numbers that get used to mean "a lot", 10,000 in particular is essentially always a fake number. The logistics to supply vast armies are in some ways harder in much of Asia since it tends to be quite mountainous, plus you're lacking that convenient Mediterranean to move things around in. If you're fighting battles in central China you might have one river to access if you're really lucky but for the most part you're just hosed in a bunch of lovely mountains and supply lines are a nightmare. They weren't fielding armies of 500,000 in that.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
At times they undoubtedly were exaggerated, but the Warring States might be an exception to an extent. Honestly I dunno, it’s something I’ve been trying to find out myself. The conventional wisdom like you say is “obviously” and I’ve read as much in a few books, but I have also read from pretty reputable scholars (Li Feng in Early China: A Social and Cultural History is coming to mind immediately and I think I read this somewhere else too) that the revisions downward were too reactionary and there really is evidence that Qin at least was outlandishly effective at tracking down every last peasant. It’s debated I guess. If I ever do find out I’ll let you guys know because I do want to know too.
E: to clarify, I don’t think any of the arguments are taking the numbers at completely face value; battles probably weren’t 500,000 on either side in a single day. But maybe over campaigns of connected battles they were, stuff like that, and the late Warring States may have genuinely had armies that large even if they were never in the same place at once—there’s evidence of the Qin literally depopulating the adult male population of an entire commandery to mobilize them for instance.

As for Korea, on reflection I’m realizing I’m not as familiar with Joseon corvee/drafting as I should be so I might look that up more too, but as I recall there were (theoretically—it varied a bit but it was often not well enforced at all) universal obligations for service to the state, but not always military. Often it would be corvee labor, or manning signal towers etc, I think for 3 months every year. It was supposed to be universal though, and there were censuses every 3 years to try and account for everybody, although 1. Corruption to get out of it was virtually ubiquitous—modern population estimates often run like 5x the official recorded census figures, and 2. The highest class and the lowest classes were exempted, which would obviously make up a huge chunk of the society.
Related random maybe apocryphal fact in terms of their equipment—mostly the conscripts wouldn’t have armor, but there was a relatively standard uniform, and this was facilitated because one of the kings decreed that women, when outside, had to at all times have on them a jacket (which they’d wear as a cloak/veil) that could be taken by the men to wear as a military suit, so that they could be called up to arms at a moment’s notice in case of attack. Even into the 20th century, well after its purpose stopped being relevant (if it ever was), women kept wearing these cloaks, entirely vestigial sleeves (later on there weren’t even holes for the arms) and all.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

extra stout posted:

"Decius was the last Roman" -Gibbon, empirical fact

At least the last true Roman. :smug:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I love East Asian history and how theoretically “advanced” it was is irrelevant to that, but the more I’ve been learning about it in this period the less convinced I’ve been getting by the “Asia was always light years ahead” take that comes up so much. But Warring States/Qin population administration and mobilization is an exception. poo poo was actually absurd, it’s practically some Napoleonic stuff 2000 years early.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The idea of Asia historically being way ahead of the rest of the world has definitely taken a beating with better archaeology and study of the sources. Not to say it was lovely but the popular image is at the least exaggerated, both in how great Asia was and how lovely Europe was. Asia benefited a lot from having a disproportionate variety of trade goods people further west were willing to pay serious cash for.

It's sort of anticlimactic but not so surprising that the answer to the old "how did Europe become so dominant while Asia?" question is probably a lot that Europe actually wasn't so behind and we were wrong to think it was such an imbalance. I blame the Renaissance for always being so down on the medieval world.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 14, 2019

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I mean I think attributing it all to rolling silk is a bit unfair; on the flip side, where western civilization got to draw from a whole bunch of influences, China's had to be mostly indigenous (not as much as is often assumed but still mostly) and they still produced an incredibly advanced civilization. Also I've never actually looked for this, but how much wealth came proportionally from the silk road for China? I know it was considerable but I think it would still have been absolutely dwarfed by domestic/East Asian trade.

Also, the Middle Ages are the exception but European historiography is definitely not where to look for something that hasn't been chronically over-inflated in advancement/relevance.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I wasn't talking about China or just silk, silk is just one of the many Asian goods that sold very well on the trade routes. I would imagine spices were the majority of the trade to the west by volume, I don't know of any studies about it though. I don't buy that China developed without significant influence either, I think that's an artifact of every Asian country's deep need to pretend like they're special snowflakes that exist in a completely unique environment untouched by The Foreign. Even in that there's too much evidence for even the most nationalist ones to ignore that China was greatly influential on all of its East Asian neighborhood, and no relationship is purely one way.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tea was a huge export commodity for China that isn't recorded too well in the west because it never made it that far on the trade routes. The big importers of tea were in central asia and east asia.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I'm curious.. How much stuff were they buying form european countries? While listening to the History of Rome, i vaguely recall that one emperor (or someone important) complained that too much gold was sent abroad purchasing goods. I'm sure trade was not just one way, but I have no idea how reciprocal it was.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dalael posted:

I'm curious.. How much stuff were they buying form european countries? While listening to the History of Rome, i vaguely recall that one emperor (or someone important) complained that too much gold was sent abroad purchasing goods. I'm sure trade was not just one way, but I have no idea how reciprocal it was.

So just go a conquering when funds low jeez don’t they learn from previous emperors?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

More than is normally thought. Roman glassware and Mediterranean corals were big luxury exports to the east, as well as amber from the Baltic. That said it does seem to be the case that the west was buying more than they were exporting, you remember correctly that Roman leaders had issues with how much gold and silver was leaving the empire to buy Asian trade goods. Whether or not that was actually a problem is hard to say, but the fact that it was brought up tells us that it was a thing that existed and was large enough scale to concern the government. Given the evidence for how massive the trade was, it doesn't seem like it was just a fake issue somebody pulled out of his worm-addled brain.

The ERE gained an enormous source of wealth when they managed to steal sereculture technology and start producing silk domestically. Nobody ever figured out how to grow all those spices in the west though.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

China imported a tremendous amount of silver in exchange for goods, which was needed to stave off deflation and be embezzled by eunuchs.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I wonder.. what were the consequence of the fall of the ERE in asia? Did they see a drop in trade? Were there things they could no longer have access to?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Dalael posted:

I wonder.. what were the consequence of the fall of the ERE in asia? Did they see a drop in trade? Were there things they could no longer have access to?

Probably favorable if any, I don’t know much about Ottoman economic policy but you would expect it to be even more focused on Asian trade than the Byzantines.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Ottomans would've been a bigger trade partner than the ERE had been in centuries and western Europeans on ships start showing up with sacks of silver not long after. I don't think the ERE would've even been noticeable, the Mongols had reshaped Asia dramatically starting about the time Constantinople fell to the crusaders and the Romans were permanently broken as a major power. The last known contact between the Roman and Chinese courts is in the 1300s if I remember right and it was just a courtesy "congratulations on your ascent" letter to a new emperor.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Grand Fromage posted:

I wasn't talking about China or just silk, silk is just one of the many Asian goods that sold very well on the trade routes. I would imagine spices were the majority of the trade to the west by volume, I don't know of any studies about it though. I don't buy that China developed without significant influence either, I think that's an artifact of every Asian country's deep need to pretend like they're special snowflakes that exist in a completely unique environment untouched by The Foreign. Even in that there's too much evidence for even the most nationalist ones to ignore that China was greatly influential on all of its East Asian neighborhood, and no relationship is purely one way.

Outside of parts of Southeast Asia (which is a region that's unfortunately usually omitted from the "Asia was so far ahead" statements anyway) I'm skeptical that trade in any of these things was noteworthy as a significant factor in their development almost anywhere in Asia, especially as a contrast to trade in the west. Proportions of wealth from trade and stuff seems like exactly the kind of thing someone would've studied though so I might try to look into this later.

External influence was definitely a more important thing than is traditionally credited for most of China's history, but for the development of its civilization itself I'd like to see more than your hunch. The big shift in scholarship has been to move away from the Yellow River civilization as the source of everything and acknowledge how important south China was, not to shift it to western influence. Things like metallurgy (probably bronze and definitely ironworking) are pretty well established to have come to the region from the west via the steppe, but that was meeting an already established civilization, and all signs point towards that having been an indigenous development (at least indigenous to the region that constitutes China today). Most of the more remarkable parts of Chinese civilization like its bureaucracy and its irrigation technology are too. Once you go past ancient history I totally agree foreign influences were hugely important and especially way more than generally acknowledged, but until at least the Han Dynasty (and Chinese civilization was pretty well established by then) this is a pretty bold claim. If you have books to back up your stance then I'd be curious, because this is basically what I've been reading about for the past year. I'm not saying it's not possible (metallurgy came from beyond, perhaps other things did too) but I don't think there's much in the way of evidence for it.

For other East Asian countries though yeah the claims are ridiculous. I dunno how universal the assumption that it was is (maybe I base things off my own frame of reference too much) but the extent of how little of Japan's civilization is actually indigenous has been one of the most eye opening things to me as I've learned East Asian history. Until the Edo period, it seems like practically every "Japanese" thing came from either China or Korea (exaggerating a bit but not much). I remember I used to think of it as basically entirely distinct from China, and for obvious places where it wasn't I was just as likely to assume China took it from Japan, but until the 20th century that was almost literally never the case. There are a few things in early Korean history that were influenced by Japan (although as I've talked about before, Japan wasn't so distinct from Korea in this period anyway) but not nearly as much as the other way around, and I...am not sure I have read even a single thing that China took from Japan. If someone does know one (I mean, I'm sure there is some stuff) I'd be kinda curious to know.
For Korea's actual academia I will say this is one of the things that they're actually way better about than either of their neighbors; they spent the first 50 years of the 20th century getting beaten over the head about their reliance on China and so outside of the occasional nutjob it's something that's basically impossible to not account for. In popular history, less so, but I think it's still way better than Japan or China for it. Where Japan and China have been afforded positions where they get to pretend foreign influences were negligible, Korea had the opposite problem.

e: incidentally, Korean (and Manchurian) early civilization (as in, pre-state) actually was probably hugely influenced by the west; how much it was vs influenced by China is pretty shaky I think (definitely a lot of both), but there's clear signs that a lot of it came via the Eurasian steppe (metallurgy and early artistic styles for instance were all distinct from Chinese but had a lot in common with Eurasian stuff).

Koramei fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 14, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I think we're talking over each other and about different stuff without defining ourselves. I don't know of any evidence of any European influence in China until the post-Alexander period, but the Han were just one civilization among many, especially before they conquered their neighbors and started taking over a decent portion of what we call China, and I don't buy that the Han developed everything themselves. You are right that I don't have a book to cite, I'm going on my knowledge of how cultures work here and I don't believe the Han are somehow different than everyone else. But I think we may both be talking about how the idea that China is the Yellow River culture is clearly, at best, a vast oversimplification. Sichuan for example had its own independent civilization for 1500 years that was not Han yet was incorporated into China. If your point is China didn't have significant influence from anything beyond the steppes or India then sure, there's really not much until the Europeans start showing up in force.

It is interesting about Japan. The Kofun period is weird and I don't know of anything in Asia like it, then yeah it's like... all foreign. Even things like modern food culture. The only reason sushi became popular was US occupation forces food policy, plus sushi comes from Southeast Asia anyway. Ramen also became a thing because of the US and is from China originally. Shinto, I guess? I don't know enough about Korean shamanism to say if they're distinct or not.

There are a fair number of Japanese loanwords in modern Chinese, that's all that's coming to mind for things taken from them (mainlanders deny there are any Japanese loanwords).

I do need to get to my ever growing stack of China books, I'm still plowing through a pile of ERE/Japan/Pre-Columbian Americas stuff.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 15, 2019

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Wasn't Nestorian Christianity relatively prominent in China at several points? While it is the Church of the East, I wonder how much of an impact that had on Chinese Culture.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Grand Fromage posted:

I think we're talking over each other and about different stuff without defining ourselves. I don't know of any evidence of any European influence in China until the post-Alexander period, but the Han were just one civilization among many, especially before they conquered their neighbors and started taking over a decent portion of what we call China, and I don't buy that the Han developed everything themselves. You are right that I don't have a book to cite, I'm going on my knowledge of how cultures work here and I don't believe the Han are somehow different than everyone else. But I think we may both be talking about how the idea that China is the Yellow River culture is clearly, at best, a vast oversimplification. Sichuan for example had its own independent civilization for 1500 years that was not Han yet was incorporated into China. If your point is China didn't have significant influence from anything beyond the steppes or India then sure, there's really not much until the Europeans start showing up in force.

By western I mean civilization that sources back to the ancient near east/Egypt, not just European. I must be being kinda confusing though yeah, this:

quote:

the Han were just one civilization among many, especially before they conquered their neighbors and started taking over a decent portion of what we call China, and I don't buy that the Han developed everything themselves.
is basically what I meant with this:

quote:

The big shift in scholarship has been to move away from the Yellow River civilization as the source of everything and acknowledge how important south China was
Not just Sichuan, too; the south around the Yangtze where the Chu/Wu/Yue states developed is coming to be thought of as being every bit as advanced as the north, and Shandong to the east and Liaoning in the northeast were hugely important in various earlier points; all of these contributed hugely to the development of the Yellow River civilization that ended up taking all the credit. By Chinese civilization being indigenous I don't mean that it all sprouted from the "Han" heartland (although using that term this far back has a lot of issues), but it does seem to have for the most part arisen out of what is today China.

Grand Fromage posted:

There are a fair number of Japanese loanwords in modern Chinese, that's all that's coming to mind for things taken from them (mainlanders deny there are any Japanese loanwords).

Are any of these pre-20th century? I think Japanese influence since the Meiji period is basically irrefutable, but I'd be curious to know what shows up beforehand.

quote:

It is interesting about Japan. The Kofun period is weird and I don't know of anything in Asia like it, then yeah it's like... all foreign. Even things like modern food culture. The only reason sushi became popular was US occupation forces food policy, plus sushi comes from Southeast Asia anyway. Ramen also became a thing because of the US and is from China originally. Shinto, I guess? I don't know enough about Korean shamanism to say if they're distinct or not.

There are almost certainly still things that are common elements, and definitely were 2000 years ago, but Shinto is pretty distinct from Korean shamanism. I've read that ritual practices are one of the Jomon things that half stuck/blended with the Yayoi migrants' 2500 years ago rather than getting overwhelmed so that doesn't seem to be a new thing either, although it's kinda complicated to sort through the two after Shinto's reconstruction/mythmaking and Korean shamanism's suppression in the 20th century.
Also the Kofun period is just the evolution of the Yayoi period that was, other than a few things like the aforementioned spirituality, almost entirely a continental transplant. There was still an absolute assload of migration going on throughout it too. I guess it's a bit unfair to say it's foreign too when the descendants of the Yayoi immigrants would mostly have been there for centuries at that point, but it still adds a whole different layer to it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I do need to read more too, my knowledge of pre-Qin is not great.

Koramei posted:

Are any of these pre-20th century? I think Japanese influence since the Meiji period is basically irrefutable, but I'd be curious to know what shows up beforehand.

I don't know when they show up. Some of them like kawaii are clearly recent imports but others like typhoon may be older. The Japanese simplification of kanji came before the CCP's simplification, and some of those simplified kanji were imported to China. But then almost all the simplifications are chosen from among various traditional simplifications people did in handwriting and it's all complicated.

Koramei posted:

Also the Kofun period is just the evolution of the Yayoi period that was, other than a few things like the aforementioned spirituality, almost entirely a continental transplant. There was still an absolute assload of migration going on throughout it too. I guess it's a bit unfair to say it's foreign too when the descendants of the Yayoi immigrants would mostly have been there for centuries at that point, but it still adds a whole different layer to it.

What I read seemed like there was so much movement between Korea and Japan at the time it's hard to even define anything as migration. The kofun type of monuments themselves don't show up anywhere outside of Japan that I know of, but with the Imperial Household Agency preventing any kofun archaeology it's hard to get any information.

E: And then of course we're completely ignoring the Ainu here. If anything they're the native Japanese culture without all the foreign influence.

Jack2142 posted:

Wasn't Nestorian Christianity relatively prominent in China at several points? While it is the Church of the East, I wonder how much of an impact that had on Chinese Culture.

I don't know of any lasting consequences of Nestorianism. It was prominent among some of the Mongol leadership. It didn't really spread though, it's more of a curiosity like the Kaifeng Jews.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nestorian Christianity was a small minority and not particularly influential, but it was present during the Tang dynasty. I don't know whether it retained its influence under the Mongols or whether it survive the Ming backlash against foreign things.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Nestorian Christianity was a small minority and not particularly influential, but it was present during the Tang dynasty. I don't know whether it retained its influence under the Mongols or whether it survive the Ming backlash against foreign things.

From what I remember it was pretty much already gone well before that.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

P-Mack posted:

From what I remember it was pretty much already gone well before that.

Yeah, they were pretty much gone by the 14th century and never really came to much prominence. Outside of Islam, since it was introduced to China, and Protestantism, today, most foreign religions, outside of Buddhism, don't really get much prominence in Chinese society. The wars, natural disasters, and purges by rulers looking for scapegoats usually kept their numbers down or decimated the communities. The decline of the Church in the East in Persia, the rise of Islam, and Roman Catholicism coming into China didn't help Chinese Nestorianism either. The Mongols and Han didn't seem to differentiate between Christians so usually when the Catholics caused problems, half the time from infighting, everyone reaped the consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Grand Fromage posted:

What I read seemed like there was so much movement between Korea and Japan at the time it's hard to even define anything as migration. The kofun type of monuments themselves don't show up anywhere outside of Japan that I know of, but with the Imperial Household Agency preventing any kofun archaeology it's hard to get any information.

There's some in Korea, and there have been (by Koreans) some arguments that they (or some of them) predate the Japanese ones, but I think the general consensus is that they were a Japanese import.