Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I hope they start doing dev clashes soon. Their EU4 series are my favorite multiplayer series and Imperator looks like it could be fun to watch a dev clash of too.

I love them simply because finding footage of these games with 20 players is extremely rare. It's a unique game experience to witness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Groogy posted:

You don't like my Space Communist Hedgehogs? :ohdear:

The context of history is what makes these games for me. Without it, I find it hard to get excited by what's happening. There's a lot I like about Stellaris, but I always fall off from it because I can't find it in myself to care about any of the stories developing.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 15, 2019

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
New imperator dev diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/imperator-development-diary-14th-of-january-2019.1145744/

The way they're handling pretenders seems pretty cool.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Groogy posted:

Your communist space hedgehogs are awesome. People always seem to like to roleplay terrible things like theocracies or horrible megacorps or whatever, and I appreciate your dedication to roleplaying something that's actually cool and good.

I agree with the general appeal of historical games and Stellaris can definitely feel meaningless and detached without that historical context, but I think in the dev clash people have done a good job giving a character worth caring about to all their crazy space empires.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
So we're really doing the misguided 'Roman art was colorless' UI thing, huh?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Any guesses as to when Imperator is coming out?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Flavius Aetass posted:

Any guesses as to when Imperator is coming out?

Spring I reckon.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Groogy posted:

Desire to know more intensifies. Where can I find this?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Angry Lobster posted:

Desire to know more intensifies. Where can I find this?

God pasting a playlist was annoying, kept trying to auto format it.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_3rLv22kp6QWxyKwZ0iGPBo8RAk5OXfP

Also it's starting again this Thursday I believe so you can follow it on Twitch live.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 15, 2019

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Imperator had another stream today and it looks like they took things said on board, thought it was massively better this week.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Fellblade posted:

Imperator had another stream today and it looks like they took things said on board, thought it was massively better this week.

Here's a link: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/364312732

Starts at 20:55

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
I’m interested in seeing what kinds of total conversion mods people come up with for Imperator: Rome. At the top of my wishlist is to find one set in the ASoIaF/Game of Thrones universe that focuses on the Free Cities and Essos just after Dragon Atlantis-Rome exploded, but since I don’t know much about the world and the actual fans and books focus on Feudal politics in a much more detailed Westeros centuries later, I don’t know if that would ever be made.

Come to think of it, there aren’t that many fantasy settings that are Hellenistic in their themes or governments aside from Sword and Sorcery pulp stories and some of the D&D settings inspired by them like Dark Sun.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

https://twitter.com/immolations/status/1085288827181297664

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The politics of the Holy Roman Empire do seem superior to those of 2019

Could do without the Thirty Years War if possible though

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh I wouldn't worry about that, through the wonders of modern technology we'll just have a 30 Minutes War that torches Europe (and everyone else). Much more efficient that way.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I dunno, I think we're pretty well headed for a Thirty Years War On Terror.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Gort posted:

Could do without the Thirty Years War if possible though

Says you.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Spiderfist Island posted:

Come to think of it, there aren’t that many fantasy settings that are Hellenistic in their themes or governments aside from Sword and Sorcery pulp stories and some of the D&D settings inspired by them like Dark Sun.

I've been wanting a good S&S conversion for CK2, but I:R has a lot of little bits that seem like they would work fantastically too. Also, a Dark Sun mod would loving rock.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Spiderfist Island posted:

I’m interested in seeing what kinds of total conversion mods people come up with for Imperator: Rome. At the top of my wishlist is to find one set in the ASoIaF/Game of Thrones universe that focuses on the Free Cities and Essos just after Dragon Atlantis-Rome exploded, but since I don’t know much about the world and the actual fans and books focus on Feudal politics in a much more detailed Westeros centuries later, I don’t know if that would ever be made.

The setting for King of Dragon Pass and Six Ages is Glorantha, which is a strange medley of anthropology, the Bronze Age, and weird takes on classic DnD tropes. Map painting as the Lunar Empire would be pretty fun. "We Are All Us *clicks 'promote culture' widget*"

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Just dropping in to say that I *love* the thread title. God bless

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Fuligin posted:

The setting for King of Dragon Pass and Six Ages is Glorantha, which is a strange medley of anthropology, the Bronze Age, and weird takes on classic DnD tropes. Map painting as the Lunar Empire would be pretty fun. "We Are All Us *clicks 'promote culture' widget*"

poo poo, I forgot entirely about Glorantha for I:R. I dunno how Heroes and Superheroes would work with their system, but I'd absolutely be down for a start date in the 3rd Age right after the reappearance of the Boat Planet allows for sea travel again.

Edit: IMO, despite all the stuff that Monks and Mystics added, CK2 always seemed too awkward a system to do a Glorantha conversion in unless you just, say, shrunk the map to southwestern Genertela. And as much as I love the Malkioni, it would be like a dulled-down version of CK2 India without any of the interesting interactions with other religions and their forms of government.

Spiderfist Island fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 17, 2019

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
On the contrary, the Malkioni have an incredible amount of magical insanity. Also modelling them would require modelling central Genertela, as Tansior/Seshnela politically is built around their interactions with the former lands of the Autarky/Stygian Empire.

Not that Imperator Rome will work any better for modelling Glorantha in any of the times when anything of note was going on. Just right at the beginning of the opening we have stuff like the entire southern lunar empire's provincial army and leadership getting eaten by a dragon. Not to mention any of the things that happened in the second age, like two continents and a peninsula disappearing into the sea alongside a good portion of a continent becoming completely inaccessible. And that's still less complicated than stuff like a moon being made up of earth torn out of the ground and then said moon being invaded by ghengis khan.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Things of note are going on at basically all points in glorantha's history, I'd honestly set the start date shortly after the lunar empire started. Way way more room for different history to happen.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I'm playing the Al Andalus mod for v2 and a subset of the provinces in Indonesia are having their liferating divided by ten. Does anyone have any idea for why this might be and how it could be fixed?

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Sampatrick posted:

I'm playing the Al Andalus mod for v2 and a subset of the provinces in Indonesia are having their liferating divided by ten. Does anyone have any idea for why this might be and how it could be fixed?

I seem to recall that the province files need an extra line at the end. As well, one messing up might affect all that go after it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Descar posted:

after watching the imperator stream,

wow, Johan is probably the worst promoter i seen..
he looks totally uninterested to show the game, and is a terrible player to boot lol

When Stellaris was forthcoming Paradox had the Blorg streams with cKnoor and Wiz, and I enjoyed those quite a bit. It's not like they can't produce good preview streams.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

When Stellaris was forthcoming Paradox had the Blorg streams with cKnoor and Wiz, and I enjoyed those quite a bit. It's not like they can't produce good preview streams.

Consider the staffing situation

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

BBJoey posted:

Consider the staffing situation

Agreed. cNoor has skills with presenting and explaining mechanics to games. His Blood Bowl videos were strong indications of that. It's a great skill for showing off new games and the like for a company.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Where did cNoor go? Other paradox streaming? I pretty much have only been following Stellaris.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
He's good at his job so he moved higher up the (streaming) command chain.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

LordMune posted:

He's good at his job so he moved higher up the (streaming) command chain.

Pretty much this, also it's cKnoor not cNoor.
Though he still gets some elbow grease, it was him and Blondie on the Grandest Lan producing it for 14 hours a day.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

He was good at streaming so they promoted him away from it? :v:

14 hours sounds really rough. I can't imagine how anyone could manage that.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

All 8 of us were pretty beat after Grandest Lan. Was fun, but next time I'm gonna pay for my own ticket so I don't have to do any actual work.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Holy poo poo darkest hour went open source

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kaiserreic...utm_term=alc31p

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

I think it's just that development for Kaiserreich for Darkest Hour is going open source. It'd be super cool if Darkest Hour went open source, but I can't imagine Paradox liking that.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

oscarthewilde posted:

I think it's just that development for Kaiserreich for Darkest Hour is going open source.

this. They've been complaining that no one is working on the DH version of the mod for a while now; considering what a trainreck HOI4 Kaiserreich has been lately it's not much of a surprise? Basically, they're making a big to-do over publishing their github repo.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I don't get why it wasn't open source from the start? Hope the HoI4 mod also follows the same route so you can just do pull requests for easy fixes, rather than waiting for development to find and fix it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Lum_ posted:

this. They've been complaining that no one is working on the DH version of the mod for a while now; considering what a trainreck HOI4 Kaiserreich has been lately it's not much of a surprise?

What's going on with HOI4 Kaiserreich?

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I think Paradox has made a fuss about hosting mods on GitHub in the past because they wanted mods to only be available on their forums or steam, presumably because both are inaccessible to pirates. I can sympathize, and I do enjoy seeing people who have obviously pirated the game asking for mod download links, but imo the benefit of having mods be open source and easily editable way outweighs that. Presumably they don't care about Darkest Hour mods at this point, but I don't know if if they'd allow it for HOI4.

Edit: also the HOI4 KR devs are so up their own asses with secret reworks and poo poo I doubt they'd be interested anyway

Magissima fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

catlord posted:

What's going on with HOI4 Kaiserreich?

The usual; weird priorities, stuff laying around unfixed for years, very questionable changes, "realism".