Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Until you do, then someone's getting fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Aphrodite posted:

Until you do, then someone's getting fired.

No they bloody don't. You know what happens?

Boss: Do you have message [blank] from [blank] in accounting?
You: No, I delete messages over 12 months old.
Boss: Oh, OK. *wanders off*

People don't get fired over getting rid of transitory messages. Deleting vital records without consent, sure. Old email, no. You and your old email aren't that important I assure you.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I can't even count the times I've needed to refer to something random in my email from months or years ago.

Like the sky wouldn't have fallen and the sun wouldn't have gone out if I couldn't, but it sure did save me hours of work each time.

The system serves me. I do not serve the system.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

No they bloody don't. You know what happens?

Boss: Do you have message [blank] from [blank] in accounting?
You: No, I delete messages over 12 months old.
Boss: Oh, OK. *wanders off*

People don't get fired over getting rid of transitory messages. Deleting vital records without consent, sure. Old email, no. You and your old email aren't that important I assure you.

That explanation didn't work for our security guard.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You know that thing where you're waiting for someone to pull out of a space and you have your blinker on, ready to take the space?

And then someone from the other direction slips into the space when the other person backs out all the way?

Twice in a row today. I wanted so badly to loving lose it at the second person.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Maybe some of you are missing the part where I said they were relevant to bills/business? In a work environment surely it's ok to hold onto those. Sure delete spam or whatever, but why would you delete that email where your boss specifically approved your plan (which worked) or directed you to a different solution (which backfired) or the one where a vendor quoted you a specific price on something? If it's just to make your inbox nice and pretty, that's stupid.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

You know that thing where you're waiting for someone to pull out of a space and you have your blinker on, ready to take the space?

And then someone from the other direction slips into the space when the other person backs out all the way?

Twice in a row today. I wanted so badly to loving lose it at the second person.

Just park in the back forty. Saves time and rage. I haven't accidentally rammed a shopping cart into a Volvo in three years.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

fizzymercy posted:

Just park in the back forty. Saves time and rage. I haven't accidentally rammed a shopping cart into a Volvo in three years.

This is what I do. It saves me a lot of time and aggrivation, plus I get some extra exercise.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Unfortunately this WAS the back of the lot.

Any Rochesterians? This is East Ave Wegmans. They'll know what I mean.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
My pet peeve for crowded parking lots is the rear end in a top hat who sits there with his blinker on for three minutes to try and get in a spot, but the car they're waiting for isn't even in reverse yet, and meanwhile four more parking spaces open up in the adjacent rows but I can't get to them because of the blinky gently caress in front of me. Just keep moving!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DontMockMySmock posted:

My pet peeve for crowded parking lots is the rear end in a top hat who sits there with his blinker on for three minutes to try and get in a spot, but the car they're waiting for isn't even in reverse yet, and meanwhile four more parking spaces open up in the adjacent rows but I can't get to them because of the blinky gently caress in front of me. Just keep moving!

But then they'd have to walk the distance of 5 more spots!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

But then you also have the people who shift to reverse, activating their car's reverse lights, but then sit there holding the brake/clutch for another 5-10 minutes before they start moving.

Seat belt on, engine on, shifter to reverse, time to read Facebook for a while!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

DontMockMySmock posted:

From their perspective my peeve is people who take way too long to start the car after they get in. You assume they are going to be a normal person and get seated, put the belt on, maybe set up your phone for google maps, turn on the radio and go. Shouldn't take more than 30-60 seconds. But some people start checking themselves out in the mirror, browsing something on their phone, etc for several minutes.

also it's not always about not wanting to park further away. At college parking was absurdly hard to come by. I've circled the only lot+garage I was permitted for for over an hour before with absolutely no open space. Sometimes I would have to park illegally to make it to the class/meeting in time. On the day I defended my thesis I had to do this and came out to one of those boots on the car and had to walk like 20 minutes across campus to go pay the fine because I guess they don't like it when you get like 10+ parking tickets in a year, even though I was paying them. To those who are thinking "why didn't he just take the bus/taxi/whatever": no.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

yeah I eat rear end posted:

From their perspective my peeve is people who take way too long to start the car after they get in. You assume they are going to be a normal person and get seated, put the belt on, maybe set up your phone for google maps, turn on the radio and go. Shouldn't take more than 30-60 seconds. But some people start checking themselves out in the mirror, browsing something on their phone, etc for several minutes.
I'd rather have them do that poo poo while they're parked than while they're driving.

DontMockMySmock posted:

These ones are always hilarious. So are the ones that circle the lot & pass up numerous empty spaces until something close to the store opens up. You're wasting more time waiting for The Perfect Spot than you would if you just used the first empty one you found. Good job. :thumbsup:

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Spend 20 minutes looking for a close park
Walk for 2 minutes to entrance
Walk for 2 hours while shopping in giant mall

"Boy I'm glad I I parked close so I didn't have to walk so far!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My mother would always take longer looking for a close spot than just walking from a spot near the end of the row would have.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Aphrodite posted:

My mother would always take longer looking for a close spot than just walking from a spot near the end of the row would have.

My grandpa used to do the same thing. Just circle and circle and circle and circle for half an hour.
This was a man that walked halfway across Europe as a refugee at the end of WWII. He loved walking. His favorite thing was to walk. He walked 2 miles every morning even when he was dying of cancer. The man had no problem walking all day hunting in the mountains

But he wouldn't walk over 50 feet to get inside a store.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Automatic updates, and updates that change existing settings.
A while back, my phone would get a notification about updates, and then let me install them at me leisure.
One of them switched the settings for automatic updates overnight back on. (Without telling me, of course.)

Today, for the first time in years, I overslept.
Because my loving phone restarted without my consent, and was on the sim login to boot, meaning that it wouldn't even have accepted calls.
I wouldn't really care much if it restarted properly and logged in, but it was for all intents and purposes, off.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Every drat time you are running late for work, you get the surprise "windows is updating, please do not turn off your computer" when you shut it down to go to put your work computer in your bag. It will take anywhere between 20 seconds and 5+ minutes. I get it (not really), updates are important, but it should never happen unannounced on shutdown, only next time you turn it on.

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

Every time at work when things are starting to run smoothly and I feel like I don't mind it so much, management makes a dumbass decision that fucks everything up. Every. Goddamn. Time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Microsoft still pushing internet exploreredge and bing.

Got a new pc today. First things first: use edge and bing exactly one time to get to the chrome dl

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I use edge, but even I have some standards and won't use bing. Firefox and chrome just slow my computer down to a crawl while they steal all my data, which noble microsoft would never do.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

mostlygray posted:

My grandpa used to do the same thing. Just circle and circle and circle and circle for half an hour.
This was a man that walked halfway across Europe as a refugee at the end of WWII. He loved walking. His favorite thing was to walk. He walked 2 miles every morning even when he was dying of cancer. The man had no problem walking all day hunting in the mountains

But he wouldn't walk over 50 feet to get inside a store.

I have friends who will gladly hike 10 miles with me on rough terrain at high elevation who on the other hand will circle a lot looking for a spot 30 yards from the door.

Like, we're young(ish) and we've got working legs, why are we taking a spot from someone's arthritic grandma?

My peeve for the day (every day) is lovely dog owners. My neighbor is a dumb loving hipster who moved here to our urban Denver apartment building and immediately decided to adopt a pair of husky pups and train them to be sled dogs (he bought a sled, too). Instead of being a good dog dad, he still spends the entire day and most of the night partying away from his apartment.

Let me tell you, dogs that are A. Neglected B. Young C. Untrained and D. Huskies are basically a perfect storm of loud as gently caress howling at all hours. They're stressed out, they're scared, they're bored, and all so this asshat with an honest to god messenger bag and top knot in tyool 2019 can tell women he's training sled dogs.

I constantly weigh the consequences of absconding with the dogs and taking them to my animal shelter. They'd be adopted before he knew they were even gone.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

yeah when I think of sled dogs, I definitely picture them living...in an apartment building in a big city. My only knowledge of sled dogs is from that one episode of Survivorman, but a real sled dog doesn't seem appropriate for a house pet, even if he knew how to train them (which he doesn't, as I'm sure we can all agree even though I don't either). Let me guess, his intention is to ride the sled in to work (and/or around town) eventually, right? He wants to one up your standard "that guy" who rides a unicycle right?

People who force a quirk onto themselves in an effort to make them "more interesting" are my pet peeve.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Microsoft still pushing internet exploreredge and bing.

Got a new pc today. First things first: use edge and bing exactly one time to get to the chrome dl

They actually are getting rid of Edge at some point apparently.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aphrodite posted:

They actually are getting rid of Edge at some point apparently.

Is that like how they "got rid" of Internet Explorer by giving it a different name?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tiggum posted:

Is that like how they "got rid" of Internet Explorer by giving it a different name?

IT's the same way that Time Warner was so reviled that they just renamed themselves to Spectrum.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

IT's the same way that Time Warner was so reviled that they just renamed themselves to Spectrum.

they're about due for another rebranding, I have never heard a single good thing about spectrum

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

they're about due for another rebranding, I have never heard a single good thing about spectrum

Yeah, it somehow got worse.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah, it somehow got worse.

Were you expecting Time Warner to suddenly have some introspection as to why they're so hated?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I just hadn't anticipated their services could decrease in quality.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’ve had spectrum for about a year and half with no problems. Checkmate, losers.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

My parents pay like 50 a month more with spectrum than me with promised speeds that are twice as much as verizon promises me, and my internet is at least twice as fast when you look at actual speed. It actually blew my mind when my internet speed tests were even close to what they promised...

which will be nice, until my promotional period is about to end, then I expect to get throttled. But for now, it's pretty great.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
More and more streaming services instead of less. I don’t wanna pay a monthly subscription for one or two shows and then a ton of crap I don’t care about. I understand not wanting to immediately dump your brand new hot poo poo on netflix or hulu but for gently caress’s sake just let me buy a stream of the season on amazon.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

More and more streaming services instead of less. I don’t wanna pay a monthly subscription for one or two shows and then a ton of crap I don’t care about. I understand not wanting to immediately dump your brand new hot poo poo on netflix or hulu but for gently caress’s sake just let me buy a stream of the season on amazon.

Streaming services as a concept are the problem. You don't choose your ISP on the basis of which websites they have exclusive rights to. Individual websites make their content available to you regardless of what ISP you use and charge whatever they want for it. You don't pay a newsagent and then take whatever papers they decide to carry - you pay the individual publishers to deliver you whichever specific newspapers you want to read. You don't buy a radio and then only listen to whatever channels the manufacturer decided to programme into it. The same should apply to TV. I should be able to subscribe to a TV provider and then pay TV producers for access to the specific shows I want to watch - or watch them for free if they're ad-supported. Having to subscribe to nine different services because each one of them has exclusive rights to one or two shows I like is bullshit.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Streaming services as a concept are the problem. You don't choose your ISP on the basis of which websites they have exclusive rights to. Individual websites make their content available to you regardless of what ISP you use and charge whatever they want for it. You don't pay a newsagent and then take whatever papers they decide to carry - you pay the individual publishers to deliver you whichever specific newspapers you want to read. You don't buy a radio and then only listen to whatever channels the manufacturer decided to programme into it. The same should apply to TV. I should be able to subscribe to a TV provider and then pay TV producers for access to the specific shows I want to watch - or watch them for free if they're ad-supported. Having to subscribe to nine different services because each one of them has exclusive rights to one or two shows I like is bullshit.

:filez:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Oh, I do. I don't know why anyone does bother to pay for it. The system is so obviously terrible and piracy is so easy.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

gently caress kitchen towels with tie down points on them. These fuckers.

Need to quickly grab a towel to soak up some water or move something hot? You can't, because everything's tied down! WHY??

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Speaking of kitchen towels, my peeve is towels that just move water around without absorbing poo poo. Those thin, scratchy ones your grandma gets you for christmas every year. It would be quicker to dry them by just blowing on them for a while.

Same with bath towels that barely absorb anything. We need more towel regulations imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tiggum posted:

You don't pay a newsagent and then take whatever papers they decide to carry

Most people do this.