Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

The White Dragon posted:

global warming is in all versions of the game, but coal plants just contribute such a tiny sliver of a fraction compared to nuclear explosions that you need a huge amount of them to get the GW effects of dropping a single nuke (or one nuclear power plant meltdown)

of course the way it simulates it is lazy, it just converts random tiles to deserts, there's no flooding or anything

Do they? I remember that all I had to do to remove that loving stupid mechanic was to change one value in GlobalDefines.xml:

code:
<DefineName>GLOBAL_WARMING_PROB</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>20</iDefineIntVal>
So unless the coal plants increased that multiplier, I'm not sure they had any effect beyond unhealthiness in the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey I apologize in advance for asking this very basic question, but how is Civ 6 at it's current state? I played a little of Civ 5 when it came out, but never really got into the changes (also I think that was the time I started playing Paradox games more). Colonization, Civ 2, and SMAC were some of my all time greats, so I obviously follow the series at times to an extent, but I just recall hearing that the AI was really bad when 6 launched and that it had a ton of issues, so I'm wondering what people feel about the game now?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

The last 5 pages have been a sort of retrospective from various players on the way they see civ 4 / 5 / 6, there's very little praise for civ 6 in there other than a few people that seem to enjoy it

For my money, I don't know why you'd play it over 4 or 5 depending on what you want out of a Civ run. It has nothing new or compelling to offer, and is a warmed over implementation of the same old stuff, with less features and more fiddle.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ham Sandwiches posted:

The last 5 pages have been a sort of retrospective from various players on the way they see civ 4 / 5 / 6, there's very little praise for civ 6 in there other than a few people that seem to enjoy it

For my money, I don't know why you'd play it over 4 or 5 depending on what you want out of a Civ run

Truthfully not much, just wondering (since iirc a new expansion is coming out) if anything had changed and suddenly the game got really good. However, since it hasn't I'll just head over to steam and reinstall the others. I do wish Civ 2 (I know it's silly) would get a re-release. Game had the best strat guide ever for it (and hell the manual was fantastic too).

I'll check out the previous pages though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Civ 6 is an improvement over 5 IMO, but it largely builds on 5's strengths instead of fixing its weaknesses. It's also even further removed from Civ 1-4, so if that's what you're looking for you'd probably be disappointed.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

civ 6 would've been an improvement over 5 if everything wasn't so terribly implemented.

but, well, every feature is terribly implemented.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Prav posted:

civ 6 would've been an improvement over 5 if everything wasn't so terribly implemented.

Yeah, we've talked about this to death, but this is the crux of the issue. Firaxis just..didn't, and doesn't, care.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Lol at someone making this post, holy moly

Please keep enjoying the masterpiece that is Civ 6 dude I'm glad you know the 1 weird tip to find the fun in it, unlike all the other h8rs

Yea I do know the 1 weird tip. Its playing multiplayer but goons are too afraid to join a lobby or make one.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I can't BELIEVE this stupid game doesn't have a build queue in cities.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

A couple of months ago, I was playing because I was making a mod to show players which world wonders have been built. I put it on hold when GS was announced in case they add this themselves(lol), or they change around the files I'm using. But here is a quick and very partial list of how lazy VI is.

-You can't see who built world wonders, or which wonders are being built unless you keep a pen and paper around and write it down when you get a notification. Once you miss this message, there is no way in the entire game to see which wonders have been built. This is plain egregious when you actually have to compete for wonders and don't remember if one has been taken, so you end up researching a tech just to get it and learn you can't build it.

-Trade routes only benefit the destination civ if that civ has a special ability that gives them an advantage for being a recipient. This means there is no reason create a great trading hub city. You aren't getting any benefit, and you aren't stealing any benefit for the other players.

-The passive faith conversion between cities exists, but it is so ineffective that it might as well not be there. The religious game is constant WW1 trench warfare from beginning until the end of the game, and you will have to convert each city manually. Also the game does not alert you when a city converts away from your religion, so you have to check the map every turn to see if you've lost any ground.

-Players will pop up and ask you to be friends, but you have no information available to see see the other world relations. You have to remember the complete state of world affairs between each turn if you want to make an informed decision.

-Mvemba's ability does not, and has never worked. Except the downside.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Truthfully not much, just wondering (since iirc a new expansion is coming out) if anything had changed and suddenly the game got really good. However, since it hasn't I'll just head over to steam and reinstall the others. I do wish Civ 2 (I know it's silly) would get a re-release. Game had the best strat guide ever for it (and hell the manual was fantastic too).

I'll check out the previous pages though.

What's funny is that the expansion is probably going to make the game worse.

And we've already been able to confirm from screenshots and developer streams that they haven't addressed ANY of the previous balance and gameplay issues. (Except for a building queue)

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 15, 2019

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
They'll release leader affinities for renewable energy and watch you'll get slammed for not having solar plants up and running in 3000BC.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

They did release a patch with the Nubia DLC where you were hated for your nuclear activity in 2000 BC, and only fixed it months later when they wanted to sell more DLC. So I'd say that's likely.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Civ 6 is cool, and good.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Amethyst posted:

I can't BELIEVE this stupid game doesn't have a build queue in cities.

I’ve never used a build queue in a Civ game. Makes it harder for me to remember what cities are doing because they’re on autopilot.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I don't get why they don't try a fantasy Civ game for once. The Warhammer mods have always been huge for the more medieval Total War games, and lo and behold, the Total Warhammers are CA's most successful games.

Similarly, Fall From Heaven 2 was amazing, it was so well received that it actually spawned at least a dozen big submods. Why doesn't Firaxis look for some fantasy licence (I'm not confident with them coming up with a good fantasy setting of their own) and try their hand at making a fantasy game?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Torrannor posted:

I don't get why they don't try a fantasy Civ game for once. The Warhammer mods have always been huge for the more medieval Total War games, and lo and behold, the Total Warhammers are CA's most successful games.

Bear in mind it took years (maybe decades) to convince Games Workshop to let CA do something with their Fantasy franchise, keyword Fantasy because they were a lot more blase with their 40K license.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

toasterwarrior posted:

Bear in mind it took years (maybe decades) to convince Games Workshop to let CA do something with their Fantasy franchise, keyword Fantasy because they were a lot more blase with their 40K license.

And they only did it because they blew up the setting they gave CA. But Games Workshop had been strange for a long time, seeing their main business still as selling action figures. That changed under new management, and I can't believe Games Workshop are unhappy with Total Warhammer's success.

I think quite a few rights holders would gladly give Firaxis a shot at their setting.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

The Human Crouton posted:

-You can't see who built world wonders, or which wonders are being built unless you keep a pen and paper around and write it down when you get a notification. Once you miss this message, there is no way in the entire game to see which wonders have been built. This is plain egregious when you actually have to compete for wonders and don't remember if one has been taken, so you end up researching a tech just to get it and learn you can't build it.

This is in at least one current mod at least, I have a global diplomacy button that says what wonders each civ has (probably not if you haven't met them though).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

-The passive faith conversion between cities exists, but it is so ineffective that it might as well not be there. The religious game is constant WW1 trench warfare from beginning until the end of the game, and you will have to convert each city manually. Also the game does not alert you when a city converts away from your religion, so you have to check the map every turn to see if you've lost any ground.

I built a religion specifically based on passive spread and it still only really managed to convert the cities directly near the holy city.
Such stupid trap options.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Passive spread works in theory, it just becomes overwhelmed by any AI which is actively trying to spread its religion, which is any AI which has a religion.

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve never used a build queue in a Civ game. Makes it harder for me to remember what cities are doing because they’re on autopilot.

VI needs it more sorely than any of its predecessors, since if you somehow manage to to get enough production in a city to come ahead of the research curve, you won't be able to spend production on anything but units or projects, which will have to be reassigned every 2 turns. This becomes tiresome real fast if you have multiple cities on this level.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Marmaduke! posted:

This is in at least one current mod at least, I have a global diplomacy button that says what wonders each civ has (probably not if you haven't met them though).

Are you sure this is in 6 and not 5? If it is in 6, can you look it up next time you play and point me to it? I might want to copy some code for my wonder mod. When I left off, I was not having fun with the part that determines if you've met them.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Prav posted:

I think we'll look back in 2-3 sequels and recognize 6 as the game that established a lot of newer core mechanics that are great ideas but did a terrible job executing them.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I did try to go back to 5 for a MP game with some grog friends. Districts are way too much of an improvement over 5 in my opinion, I honestly don't get the hate on 6. Then again I only played singleplayer 3 times I believe.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Are you sure this is in 6 and not 5? If it is in 6, can you look it up next time you play and point me to it? I might want to copy some code for my wonder mod. When I left off, I was not having fun with the part that determines if you've met them.

These are my mods:

And this is what the screen looks like:

Resolution might be rubbish but the third column lists the wonders.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
New civ announced, Sweden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdaApZ316Qg

A very culture and diplomacy focused civ, the unique unit seems interesting

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
nevermind

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Marmaduke! posted:

These are my mods:

And this is what the screen looks like:

Resolution might be rubbish but the third column lists the wonders.

Cool. Thanks.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Honestly, I really like 6, I just don't like it enough to drop :60bux: to catch up on its expansions when I can just play 5 instead.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I appreciate how one of Sweden's bonuses is pretty much "yeah, the whole art theme mechanic kinda sucks, so this bonus just ignores that."

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Yeah, just wait for a sale. That's what I did with 5, played 4 till 5 came on sale.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The only thing I miss from V is the graphics. It's such a sharp looking game and the interface is the first (and kinda only) for Civ where everything is readable at a glance. Might just be me though.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bluff Buster posted:

I appreciate how one of Sweden's bonuses is pretty much "yeah, the whole art theme mechanic kinda sucks, so this bonus just ignores that."

It says a lot about all the discrete minigamey stuff that a good civ ability is "don't play this minigame"

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

My favorite part of the pre release hype was all these posters that kept saying Ed Beach is going to save Civ 6, Ed Beach (who the gently caress is ed beach) the famous designer that worked on the Civ 5 expansion that didn't suck poo poo, ED loving BEACH

anyway ed beach apparently didn't save Civ 6 and I think maybe one person mentioned that like "Aw I thought he would do better" and anyway the Ed Beach hype era ended just like that with the release of Civ 6

:rip:

Ed Beach Civ 7 apparently not in the cards anymore :sad:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fhqwhgads posted:

They'll release leader affinities for renewable energy and watch you'll get slammed for not having solar plants up and running in 3000BC.

they'll release leader affinities for renewable energy and you'll get slammed with penalties because you built a solar plant instead of a coal plant

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I have this mental image of Ed Beach as a guy leering over the art team and getting really mad when someone tries to tries to inject a bit of flavor into districts or designs a modern era building that isn't a skyscraper. "We need visual clarity," he screams into their ears, "how am I supposed to tell at a glance that this blue-roofed sandstone building is a library if it doesn't look greco-roman!?"

He doesn't bother the writers, but only because he hasn't allowed a single writer onto the premises.

I will give him credit, though, I don't think he promised us anything but districts and barbarians being a bigger hassle in the early game, and he's delivered on those fronts.

Sweden looks pretty solid. 10 culture and tourism is a decent one-per-city UI. lol at "ignores a gameplay mechanic" being part of Kristina's UA.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Why are you hating on Ed? He worked on 5's expansions which we all agree improve the game.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

turboraton posted:

Why are you hating on Ed? He worked on 5's expansions which we all agree improve the game.

This is pretty impressive levels of comprehension, I was pointing out that a slew of posters suddenly decided he was in charge of Firaxis and was going to save civ 6 when in fact he did Jack poo poo and civ 6 is repackaged civ 5

What I always wonder is how on earth do multiple people decide there's a guy who can save this game, who can tell the studio management to gently caress off, and I know which guy it is - his name is Ed Beach and he will post in this thread on Tuesday

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Ed Beach is responsible for the two best board games ever made, Here I Stand and Virgin Queen.

I think he is really good at designing systems that interact with each other to create good gameplay. Unfortunately trying to make a sprawling computer game while being pressured by producers and publishers may overwhelm his abilities a fair bit.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Why isn't this is a building? It has no adjacency bonuses, and the rules for being a building would already include that it is only one per city. Everything they do is such slop.

Use the rules that you already built into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Happy to have another culture civ available. For some reason its become my favorite victory type.