Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

what an abortion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

No, but you see we will get better, cooler hangers in the future. So fixing the current one would be waste work.

(Actual first and second comment)

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Pretty sure the Koreans have more anime girls on their planes/helicopters than the Japanese. :shrug:

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

So why do you buy games in this genre if they are inherently boring to you? Just play Battlefront where you get a spaceship in a tight arena with fast gameplay and short respawns.

Because he want's to sit in his P2W ship and blast peasants, he's not interested in a level playing field.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Wanna be murdered by that helicopter/plane

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Thanks to my pre-alpha tester Meridian. My first of eight dungeons and dragons groups begins in less than 6 hours.

Plenty more testing to be done if you're still interested dude :)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Are any of those D&D groups involving machine gun nests, scaling cliff faces, and dropping C4 charges on some unlucky dopes?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
My friend learned about existence of Star Citizen recently, being impressed by some videos. So I sent him videos/pictures from this thread and showed him prices of some (non-existing) ships in the store. Now he's far less impressed, but at least he had a good laugh. Another soul saved, I guess.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Interesting market statement from FDev today: https://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/news/market-news/market-news-detail/FDEV/13934373.html

"Based on trading performance in the first six months of the financial year, combined with sales over the Christmas holiday period, the Board remain comfortable with the analyst revenue projections of £75 million to £88 million for FY19 (the year ending 31 May 2019) and anticipate that revenue should exceed the mid-point of this range.

Jurassic World Evolution, which launched on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in June 2018 alongside the film release of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, has been Frontier's most successful launch to date, achieving 1 million base game units within 5 weeks and has now crossed the 2 million base game unit threshold, 7 months after launch. It was both Frontier's first self-published game to launch simultaneously on both PC and console platforms, and the first to benefit from the awareness associated with a major film release. In line with the Board's expectations, the majority of unit sales on all three platforms (PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One) are from digital sales, with physical disc sales on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One also contributing. Frontier's strategy of establishing and supporting a community of players has proved effective for Jurassic World Evolution, with both free updates and paid downloadable content (PDLC) helping to retain existing players and attract new players.

Frontier's first two game franchises, Elite Dangerous (launched December 2014) and Planet Coaster (November 2016) continue to perform well, both supported by a strategy of ongoing development. Planet Coaster has now sold over 2 million base game units since launch, and Elite Dangerous has exceeded 3 million base game units. Previously the Company has reported "franchise units" for Elite Dangerous whereby the Elite Dangerous: Horizons expansion, sold at the same price as the base game, was also counted as one unit. The Company has now simplified unit reporting to state gross unit sales of the base game only. For comparative purposes cumulative franchise units for Elite Dangerous are now over 4.3 million.

The development of Frontier's fourth game franchise is on track, with release targeted for FY20 (between 1 June 2019 and 31 May 2020)."

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Mu77ley posted:

Frontier's first two game franchises, Elite Dangerous (launched December 2014) and Planet Coaster (November 2016) continue to perform well, both supported by a strategy of ongoing development. Planet Coaster has now sold over 2 million base game units since launch, and Elite Dangerous has exceeded 3 million base game units. Previously the Company has reported "franchise units" for Elite Dangerous whereby the Elite Dangerous: Horizons expansion, sold at the same price as the base game, was also counted as one unit. The Company has now simplified unit reporting to state gross unit sales of the base game only. For comparative purposes cumulative franchise units for Elite Dangerous are now over 4.3 million.

The development of Frontier's fourth game franchise is on track, with release targeted for FY20 (between 1 June 2019 and 31 May 2020)."

:boom:

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

This is good for Star Citizen btw, when a garbage game like ED sells more than 4mil copies, SQ42 wont stop at single digits.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://starcitizentracker.github.io/
• Yesterday renamed or removed all Patch [X.X] [Feature] things. Although its funny and useful to see how much got cut from 3.0 or 3.2, it's not really feasible to keep up with their roadmaps that also reference what they plan to add to each patch
• Today renamed all the playstyle expectations to use the text "career path". There's some comments flowing in that, for example, since there is a bounty mission, Bounty hunting career should be marked as more complete. With this change we're hoping it's more clear that the simply having a ship or missions for [x] players, does not make that playstyle complete.

ARGCast
• Added two shows from October to the RSS. Will add more today. Computer got all slow and crashy yesterday which drained my motivation + I couldn't find PAPARP.mp3

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

trucutru posted:

Wait you play a boring-rear end four year old game as much as you play upcoming blockbuster AAAA SC? :drat:

Yeah I find an early Alpha game to be just as much fun as Elite Dangerous.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Agony Aunt posted:

Seriously? Don't go somewhere is your advice?

If you don't want to deal with the train, don't go to Hurston.

Its the same loving recommendation one gets when they complain about missions to Hutton. So why should it be different.

You don't like dealing with that type of game play, avoid it. Its loving simple.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

EvilMerlin posted:

Its the same loving recommendation one gets when they complain about missions to Hutton. So why should it be different.

You don't like dealing with that type of game play, avoid it. Its loving simple.

Its a good thing that every mission Chris Roberts has shown on-stage, especially of Squadron 42, wasn't a boring 40 minute waste of everyones time before it crashed and forced everyone to do it all over again and then maybe get some FPS action on-par with even the most rudimentary college programming project.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:allears:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EvilMerlin posted:

But what if i loving want to go to Hurston not for the loving train but for some other loving reason?

Enough loving in that?

Come on Merlin, you've got to admit the whole respawn after log off business is completely hosed at the moment. If someone has to log off quickly, its going to be a pain returning to find you are now somewhere else and your ship is lost. Can't they just have you and your ship despawn and then respawn at their last locations regardless of where you were or what you were doing?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

EvilMerlin posted:

Actually, it's not the same. At all. You can play Elite without ever going to Hutton and miss nothing. If you choose not to go to Lorville you're missing at least two specific mission givers that I know of, which means you can't do those missions because unlike Elite's randomized mission boards, Star Citizen's missions and "story" are tied to specific givers.

Reasons to go to Hutton Orbital
  • Rare goods - Hutton Mug
  • Bragging rights (??)

Reasons to go to Lorville
  • Clovus Darneely - specific missions
  • Constantine Hurston - specific missions
  • Ship store
  • Hurston Security Armor
  • It's the tentpole feature of the last like... year. (??)

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

Actually, it's not the same. At all. You can play Elite without ever going to Hutton and miss nothing. If you choose not to go to Lorville you're missing at least two specific mission givers that I know of, which means you can't do those missions because unlike Elite's randomized mission boards, Star Citizen's missions and "story" are tied to specific givers.

• Bragging rights (??)

• Free Anaconda

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Daztek posted:

• Free Anaconda

Fool me twice, shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agony Aunt posted:

But what if i loving want to go to Hurston not for the loving train but for some other loving reason?

I completely avoided the train and Hurston all week. But this is not good for Star Citizen, a game that is stretching the credibility of the word 'massively'.

Beet Wagon posted:

You can play Elite without ever going to Hutton and miss nothing.

Lies. You miss the experience that is Hutton, the contemplation that you're hitting a kilolight on a long acceleration cycle that takes nearly 20 minutes, and that if you lived in such a system, you could be virtual neighbors with someone else and never even know, except for the TV programs and weird radio shows.

And you can fold laundry, make a drink and take a whizz.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Are any of those D&D groups involving machine gun nests, scaling cliff faces, and dropping C4 charges on some unlucky dopes?

Nah, but I have yet to write 7 other sectors so thanks for your pledge commando

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Fool me twice, shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again.

They added it because of the number of noobs that went there.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

EvilMerlin posted:

Life can be better than your compromises

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mr.Tophat posted:

Nah, but I have yet to write 7 other sectors so thanks for your pledge commando

If you need more ideas let me know. I've got this really cool idea about hairless cats in space.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hav posted:

They added it because of the number of noobs that went there.

Gonna test this out later tonight!

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Mu77ley posted:

It sounds like Planet Coaster and Jurassic World have given Frontier much better ROI than Elite. Tidy, tight, targeted developments, versus a big, sprawly online "dream game"... with the roller coaster game selling fully two thirds the number of base games as the space game, in half the time. A game like Elite must be one of those projects that constantly threatens to morph into a black hole, sucking in resources like nobody's business.

I reckon Frontier were lucky to get their late 2014 MVP release out while staying intact and a going concern. At the time, it felt like there were Very Serious Reasons why a minimalist ASAP release was needed.

The game clearly suffers from "bolt-on-itis" - four full years of adding new extra bits on top of the last extra bits. However, it exists, and its owner/publisher is getting revenue from selling real products.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

SabinBlitz posted:

Don't forget that CD abuses it's employees and treats them like poo poo with constant over time and crunch time...

*cough*

Had a co-worker who went for an interview there.
He noted they have really nice kitchens, and quality chill out areas with areas you can sleep, even allow you to bring pets to work.

All things which were serious red flags as too how much time CD expects you to spend in the offices.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

• Bragging rights (??)

You forgot to add "Stripping all the paint off your ship".

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Beet Wagon posted:

• Bragging rights (??)
Parking at Hutton Orbital and griefing the other fools who've wasted an hour travelling to Hutton :black101:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hobold posted:

You forgot to add "Stripping all the paint off your ship".

Alright Mary Quant.

Codezombie posted:

Had a co-worker who went for an interview there.
He noted they have really nice kitchens, and quality chill out areas with areas you can sleep, even allow you to bring pets to work.

All things which were serious red flags as too how much time CD expects you to spend in the offices.

Also catered meals, and pulling you in for an interview at a higher wage, 'meeting the team', the lowballing you. I laughed when the cool leader of the cool devops team made me a terrible offer. He upped it and I said, "No, I know what you think I'm worth".

I still drive past their empty office occasionally.

Quavers posted:

Parking at Hutton Orbital and griefing the other fools who've wasted an hour travelling to Hutton :black101:

"But our princess is at another Orbital"

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

This is a funny thread: /r/StarCitizen: Anyone else hoping they scrap the permadeath idea or reduces its severity?

"The current concept seems like it would heavily discourage roleplaying/interacting with other people (given the high risk of being shot on sight or griefed), not to mention completely waste all that time you spent creating your character—ending up frustrating many people."

:reddit:

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

The model viewer is just tier 0, FUD goonie.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4_NSKB8fSQ

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Quavers posted:

This is a funny thread: /r/StarCitizen: Anyone else hoping they scrap the permadeath idea or reduces its severity?

"The current concept seems like it would heavily discourage roleplaying/interacting with other people (given the high risk of being shot on sight or griefed), not to mention completely waste all that time you spent creating your character—ending up frustrating many people."

:reddit:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The main difference going to the train place in star ctazern and doing stuff in other games is that the whole project from top to bottom is utter, utter poo poo

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
"So we're going to make a space game where you can walk around"
*spends a decade making the shittest thing on Earth*
"Ta da!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Hav posted:

Alright Mary Quant.

Also catered meals, and pulling you in for an interview at a higher wage, 'meeting the team', the lowballing you. I laughed when the cool leader of the cool devops team made me a terrible offer. He upped it and I said, "No, I know what you think I'm worth".

I still drive past their empty office occasionally.

To be fair, here at Codies, we get catered meals (or free breakfast) on the very rare occasions that we work overtime, usually the last month or so of the project before the first submission.
Codies does have a decent canteen, and even has a gym (situated in the old building which is darkly rumored to once have been "cow insemination sheds").

Plus we don't have mandatory crunch. So I like working here, and (so far) laugh at attempts to lure me away. :)