Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've just realized that this game is actually just the open world version of Original War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
The pro tip is to not build a base anywhere without 100+ building material to throw up the BM storage and walls first thing. Or have a Merc group or two.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Building material is luckily very easy to make and basically ubiquitous - there aren't terribly many areas in the game that do not prospect for at least a little rock. Have your first two buildings be a stone mine and a rock processor and you're already halfway to being self-sufficient.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I have 12 guys, 100 steel plates and ~150 building materials stashed. Unfortunately all their combat skills are meh at best right now (5-25) so things are pretty terrifying. I really should go hire a pack of mercenaries on top of things just so I can get my base fully situated.

I think what I also should do is find somewhere that has a natural barrier for at least one side.

edit: unless...can things spawn inside your base? I might have somehow enclosed a spawn point or something with my perimeter walls and THAT's how the hungry bandits got in.

Gorgeous Mohammad
Oct 15, 2009
It seems like gates and walls don't provide that much protection if some enemies want to get inside your base. It's probably fine to use basic gates and walls and upgrade them over time if you're just starting out and it'll cut down on the mats and maybe time? to get your base up and running.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Vasudus posted:

I think what I also should do is find somewhere that has a natural barrier for at least one side.

edit: unless...can things spawn inside your base? I might have somehow enclosed a spawn point or something with my perimeter walls and THAT's how the hungry bandits got in.
That can absolutely happen if you accidentally enclose a monster nest. It will also guaranteed happen if you enclose your base entirely in walls without having some kind of gate for the invaders to attack. Because there is no real way to attack walls directly, the game punishes that kind of attempted turtling very harshly. If you have done it right, bandits will always spawn outside.

Also, always press Shift+F12 when you have built a base. You will see a green circle around a central point. That is the area that the game actually considers yours. Have a wall that stretches outside this and enemies can and will spawn on the "unowned" parts that are also enclosed.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Welp that'll do it. The game considers the gate that I put down to be the center of my territory I guess, and my walls extend past that in a large enough area. I guess my outpost will have to be smaller.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, that would do it. The center of your outpost will actually move a little based on an average of your building placement or something like that, but it's not reliable enough to really control.

Ideally, you want to place a standard house as your center building and then construct everything else in a rough circle around that. It's the expected way to make an outpost and the game deals best with that kind of approach.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm building a bughouse on my south wall, which is currently out of bounds. My gate is my north wall. Maybe if I focus building on the south end it'll shift over and I won't have to start this poo poo over again.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That might do it. Best of luck to you there. This kind of thing is annoying.

FWIW, if you finish that construction and then try to import and just carry over your stuff to a new map, I think it will recalculate boundaries, so your new map would have your territory centered in the middle of your outpost from the beginning. Worth a try.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
I feel like some of y'all are rushing the base building a little bit. I've got a squad of about 20 or so people ranging from level 50ish in weapons to the teens and I do just fine keeping them fed from stuff taken from the dead while leveling them up. You can get a house in a defended city and work on your research and slowly build up a store of building materials that way.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's totally OK to both treat base building as the first thing you do in a new game and to hold back on it until you feel you're established. The game is completely capable of and built around handling either of these. It's part of what makes Kenshi so fun: you genuinely can play it your way.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I haven't built a "real" base yet with about 8 guys who have 30ish combat stats. I built an iron refinery close to the Hub and I've just been running the plates in to my crafting spots in the city. It's really nice for training actually because I get a steady drip feed of bandits that my mining team can beat down now plus larger raids every so often that I'm close to being able to handle on my own soon. Once I can beat the Band of Bones and the Ninja group I can't remember the name of then I'll start getting a proper base up and running.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I built a bughouse in the center of my planned area to start and now the game has a nice circle around everywhere I wanted to build. At least now I know how that mechanic works.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm feeling like building up a base in Shem isn't really giving me much advantage over having a thieves den / leather bar in an established city. The whole desire behind having a base was having all essential resources generated by me, and not shopkeepers. But that's kind of boring. Now that my 12 Death Adders have cut their teeth on a few hundred bandits, it's time to mothball this poo poo and go find glory in the jaws of something big. Either that or get my farming up to snuff so we're not all malnourished.

Game is good. Super janky but real good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The big advantage of having your own base is space to build in. A single building can only hold so much. Between storage, production facilities, beds, mining, farming and prisoners, a single house just plain won't do. The thing that makes producing your own equipment worth it is that you get quality levels based on crafter skill. A level 100 armor smith? Can churn out Masterwork Plate Armor by the bucketload. A whole squad equipped in that stuff can take an entire city... and hold on to it, too.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
After two Beak Thing packs I have my walls up, supported by a strong gate and six crossbow turrets. I got a Stone Mine, a Stone Processor, and some storage. I'm researching power related things and building different houses to put my training dummies in. We're cooking with gas now boys.

Well, not literally, I have more things to do before we're actually cooking with gas. Like go to the nearby Tech Hunter outpost and rob them blind of all their food so I can start farming my own. And get more bodies. MORE.

...goddamnit I have to go to work tomorrow. Stupid game finally gets its hooks in me at the worst time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Because there is no real way to attack walls directly

Not true actually, raiders can do that with normal weapons, they just generally don't.

Gorgeous Mohammad
Oct 15, 2009
I don't know if base building is ever necessary or the correct thing to do. On my most progressed game my ultimate goal is to wipe out the Holy Nation for the Shek. I'm set up in Squin with a couple of buildings that house all of my crafting and storage needs. I make than enough money for food and mats by raiding ancient ruins and going after bounties. I don't see much of a reason to build a base on this run and I doubt I ever will. Base building is fun and challenging though and you could exclusively focus on it if you wanted to which I probably will on my next play through. You can really do whatever you want and I appreciate that aspect of the game.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Could it be time for another janky Dwarf Fortress pretender to enter my life? This is legit coolness, right?

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Gorgeous Mohammad posted:

I don't know if base building is ever necessary or the correct thing to do. On my most progressed game my ultimate goal is to wipe out the Holy Nation for the Shek. I'm set up in Squin with a couple of buildings that house all of my crafting and storage needs. I make than enough money for food and mats by raiding ancient ruins and going after bounties. I don't see much of a reason to build a base on this run and I doubt I ever will. Base building is fun and challenging though and you could exclusively focus on it if you wanted to which I probably will on my next play through. You can really do whatever you want and I appreciate that aspect of the game.

I agree wholly. I've been playing a lot lately and I have one save where I finally got a nice city build in Shem, but I abandoned it because it wasn't as fun to me as starting a new game with the slaver start and trying to make a group of roving badasses. It's more fun for me to just have a couple of guys that I can get attached to then having 20 guys that their sole job is to carry poo poo from one location to another

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Songbearer posted:

Could it be time for another janky Dwarf Fortress pretender to enter my life? This is legit coolness, right?

Yes to both jank and coolness. It's a fun game.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Gadzuko posted:

Once I can beat the Band of Bones and the Ninja group I can't remember the name of then I'll start getting a proper base up and running.

The Band of Bones ran me out of my first real base what feels like ages ago. I recently had 35 heavily armed soldiers exploring the edges of the swamp not long ago and I noticed a triggered aggression from a Band of Bones bandit as I trekked south of Squin. I shot them down with crossbows, then noticed a somewhat hidden encampment that included a 10k bounty on the leader of the Band of Bones. I drew them out and shot them down as they emerged. They were weak and pathetic. They didn't seem such when they were raiding my camp, but it was different when I raided their camp. I know where the Black Dragon Genin make their home, too.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
The head guy of the black dragon drops a meitou grade sword, he's a pro kill as soon as you can handle him.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Good cities to hang out in? The Hub is kinda boring with only one bar (two if you include the rebel one outside). On the other hand, it's been treating me well with five or six copper nodes for income, though I've been having to make runs up north for enough food for everyone.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I've been happy with Squin. I bought the ruined longhouse there and I'm having Hobbs stay and mine copper/research while me and Ruka explore elsewhere

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran
In case anyone wants a base location idea for mid-late game...
I've played quite a bit of Kenshi, and having looked in every area in the game, the best base location I've found is this in the Fog Islands:

All it takes to wall off is this, closed in on three sides by terrain:

100 Water/Fertility/Stone/Copper/Iron

70% Green, 75% Arid lets you grow everything in the game but Rice, which isn't needed for anything (other than some food recipes).

Enough wind to power things (you will need to build multiple windmills, but they're relatively cheap).
And Mongrel is a fantastic town to build near. It has both a general store & a dedicated building supply shop to supplement any building materials you need. It also has a large number of shopkeepers with sizable cash reserves so you can sell all your excess weapon & armor production.
Mongrel is close enough to this base location that it can be run to quickly which allows you to ignore the Fogmen when running between your base and the town, and doesn't require micromanagement to get there.

Now this isn't viable obviously in the early game, as you have to fight off the Fogmen long enough to setup shop, but if you hug the terrain walls getting there, you can avoid major fights with fog princes/heavies. Once you arrive you can quickly build the necessary defensive walls since there's so little necessary to block the entrance. Just remember to build a U-shaped turret trap into your wall design. Your only initial threats are Fogmen & Cannibal raids.

There are other "enclaves" inside the Fog Islands, but none of them seem to have all these features or this advantageous of a layout.

The one major downside in my opinion? There's a lot of screaming outside your walls as various people get eaten alive...you get used to it...kind of.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I set up show at the very northern edge of the Hidden Forest, just south of the Ghost Village.

Large flat area, perfect for a larger settlement, and you can easily block off the back areas with a few walls, leaving one common front.
100% Green / 70% Arid makes you able to grow most stuff in the game, and World's end is close enough that you have a large market to sell your produce to whenever you want.

The only downside is that there isn't that much copper, but that's not that much of a deal breaker imo.

Edit: Has anyone ever tried setting up base in the Shrieking Forest? It's a beautiful place with pretty much all the resources in the game, there's just that one little issue...

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jan 15, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Not true actually, raiders can do that with normal weapons, they just generally don't.
Interesting. I've never seen that happen and I've never been able to figure out how to do it myself, either. Maybe this is one of those things they only do if the game determines that you've been trying to lock yourself in with a gateless wall?

quote:

The only downside is that there isn't that much copper, but that's not that much of a deal breaker imo.
Copper is a relatively minor resource and one of those it's worth setting up a mining camp for. You just go there whenever your storage runs low.

This is a really nice spot you grabbed there, I have to keep that one in mind.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 15, 2019

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Cardiovorax posted:

It's totally OK to both treat base building as the first thing you do in a new game and to hold back on it until you feel you're established. The game is completely capable of and built around handling either of these. It's part of what makes Kenshi so fun: you genuinely can play it your way.

IMO you shouldnt build a base early on unless you know what you are doing. Once you understand what's up, those raids are a huge boon even with lovely characters who cant handle them. Until you understand how to make that so, a base is just a ball and chain and you'd likely be better off training some guys up and/or making some loving money without having a base which you dont understand how to defend.

I love shek provings btw. They just beat your rear end in and then go the gently caress away. Thanx for the training fellas! Plus its super rewarding when you can finally best the mob.

EDIT: I second squinn as a base city. Those ruined longhouses are big and cheap, the location is central and not very dangerous. The street through town also makes for a good protected path to sneak back and forth down easily for sneak/str training.

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 15, 2019

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Is there a mod that puts an icon over non-player squads, or turns NPCs bright red or something? It's so hard to spot NPCs when zoomed out.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Nathilus posted:

IMO you shouldnt build a base early on unless you know what you are doing. Once you understand what's up, those raids are a huge boon even with lovely characters who cant handle them. Until you understand how to make that so, a base is just a ball and chain and you'd likely be better off training some guys up and/or making some loving money without having a base which you dont understand how to defend.
Yeah, that's fair. I was talking about it from the perspective of someone who has some experience with the game, but if you don't really know how to handle a base yet, it really can be a problem like you described. It's very easy to lose a game because you tried to defend an untenable position.

On the plus side, you don't actually need to defend it. There is no failure condition attached to base loss. You can run off at any time if you notice that you're not capable of holding on to a location and just take it back later. If the game doesn't glitch out, the bandits will have taken nothing except food.

quote:

Is there a mod that puts an icon over non-player squads, or turns NPCs bright red or something? It's so hard to spot NPCs when zoomed out.
I wish. I even told the developers that there's no reason in this day and age not to have basic convenience features like that, but no, they refuse to actually do anything like that. In a lot of ways, this isn't a game developed with idea that people would ever play it in mind.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So fishman isle is a great place for a master ninja. Got a ton of masterwork/specialist gear and limbs, as well as a meitou blade and a literal ton of foul meat. Bounty wasnt bad either.

You can cheese the island easily with assassination.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Squin is usually my "go to" for my first set of crafters. Right now i've got four people in Squin and a pack animal mining and crafting while Hobbs is off getting me allied with the Hounds.

Tempted to make an actual swamp base, this run.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

dogstile posted:

Squin is usually my "go to" for my first set of crafters. Right now i've got four people in Squin and a pack animal mining and crafting while Hobbs is off getting me allied with the Hounds.

Tempted to make an actual swamp base, this run.
How do you deal with blood spiders? They are my bane.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Vasudus posted:

It took me three hours of savescumming before I was finally able to get my base walls built without being murdered by random events. Then somehow some hungry bandits made it in my perimeter. I don't know what the gently caress.

That spot in Shem is cursed, I'm going somewhere else when I boot up the game again.

If you can't effortlessly obliterate armies of hungry bandits you need to keep a band of mercs on retainer at your town.

Donkringel posted:

So fishman isle is a great place for a master ninja. Got a ton of masterwork/specialist gear and limbs, as well as a meitou blade and a literal ton of foul meat. Bounty wasnt bad either.

You can cheese the island easily with assassination.

Fishmen are actually pretty weak and you can blow throw the entire island murdering everyone without much thought with a half decent crew. Only the fish boss is potentially dangerous.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The head guy of the black dragon drops a meitou grade sword, he's a pro kill as soon as you can handle him.

Only a ninja blade but you can clear him and his goons once you scrounge up enough lovely dust bandit bows or get some moderately skilled mans. They wear very light armor so even a bunch of guys with junk bows can get you a meitou blade.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 15, 2019

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I think my problem with Squin was that none of the buildings could fit a research bench 3.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Speaking of which, I heartily recommend the Small Research Benches mod. It allows you to upgrade small benches to be equal to max tier big research benches. They still cost the same and also have equal power requirements, but they're more compact. It's a little bit of a cheat mod, but it's just so convenient that I don't care.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

sharkbomb posted:

I think my problem with Squin was that none of the buildings could fit a research bench 3.

Aren't all the benches aside from the small bench the same size?

It's huge but you can fit a research bench in anything but a shack p much. It will take up the majority of a stormhouse floor though and I always buy the biggest possible house available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Donkringel posted:

How do you deal with blood spiders? They are my bane.

Leg armour! Also I run very fast.

I don't actually go into the swamp until i've got specialist grade armour for the legs, but it has to be super light. I just try not to fight them if I can avoid it, if I see them I try to lead them into something else. Move from town to town.

If you do have to fight them, they have gently caress all for stats, so one big hit with a weapon should take them out.

This is also why all swamper shacks have mounted crossbows on them. I currently have 3 people chilling in a swamp town while they heal up. My healthiest member is on the turret. I don't want the guards to die, so i'll give em a hand.