Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

VorpalBunny posted:

No bonus tracker, and I put the spend on the wrong card. Totally 100% my fault. It was a boneheaded, dumb mistake but I am back again trying to sweet-talk my way into my points. For $15 out of $4000, why not try?! Fingers crossed!

Put the spend on the card first and then try to chat with a rep if you don't get points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I just noticed Southwest is currently offering sign up bonuses with Companion pass issued upon completion of the spend. Previously you needed 110k Southwest points to get the pass (which was only feasible a lot of the time if you get 2 cards, which you can't even do anymore unless you get a business card).

The catch is it's only a 1 year companion pass instead of 2. So you only have from bonus completion to the end of the year to use it.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 15, 2019

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I have an old secured Capital One card from when I was building credit that I no longer use.

Does anyone know if I can product change it to a rewards card without getting a hard pull?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Elysium posted:

I just noticed Southwest is currently offering sign up bonuses with Companion pass issued upon completion of the spend. Previously you needed 110k Southwest points to get the pass (which was only feasible a lot of the time if you get 2 cards, which you can't even do anymore unless you get a business card).

The catch is it's only a 1 year companion pass instead of 2. So you only have from bonus completion to the end of the year to use it.

Getting a business card is easy and the new offer is trash unless you have no other options.

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I have an old secured Capital One card from when I was building credit that I no longer use.

Does anyone know if I can product change it to a rewards card without getting a hard pull?

I did that on a Cap One card recently (it wasn't secured but had a really low limit and wasn't a rewards card), no hard pull but they also wouldn't really increase it's credit limit much beyond the original of $999 (or change it from Visa Platinum to Visa Signature).

I actually need to cancel that card (even though it's my oldest). Ain't nobody got time to start using a card for multiple months to build up a payment history when I could apply for a new Cap One card and probably get 10x the current one's limit.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

According to DoC, the U.S. Bank Cash+ is replacing the 'Car Rental' 5% category with "TV, Internet and Streaming Services":

quote:

New! TV, Internet and Streaming Services will replace Car Rentals as a new 5% Cash+ Category starting April 1, 2019. This category includes merchants such as Netflix, Comcast, DIRECTV®, Hulu and Apple Music. Registration opens February 15 for the second quarter at usbank.com/cashplus. Remember to register for your 5% and 2% categories to get MORE CASH BACK!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

astral posted:

According to DoC, the U.S. Bank Cash+ is replacing the 'Car Rental' 5% category with "TV, Internet and Streaming Services":

Dammit, I told myself after I got the Uber Visa that I was done getting new cards, but this is pretty drat tempting.

How many cards is too many? Currently have seven.

Citi Costco
Citi Double Cash
Uber Visa
Amex Blue Cash Preferred
Discover IT
Chase Freedom
Amazon Prime Visa

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Do you guys cancel a card immediately after getting the sign on bonus? I'm about to hit the $500 reward bonus on the CapOne Savor card for $3k spend in 3 months. Do you guys cash out the rewards and then call to cancel or wait until closer to the annual fee is due?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

Dammit, I told myself after I got the Uber Visa that I was done getting new cards, but this is pretty drat tempting.

Citi Costco
Citi Double Cash
Uber Visa
Amex Blue Cash Preferred
Discover IT
Chase Freedom
Amazon Prime Visa

The Cash+ is a solid addition if you aren't interested in chasing signup bonuses.

Nothin' wrong with 8 (or more!) cards. Normally I'd make a note about making sure you use each card at least once a year to make sure they don't shut it down for inactivity, but with that mix you listed I couldn't imagine not using any of them.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

MrLogan posted:

Do you guys cancel a card immediately after getting the sign on bonus? I'm about to hit the $500 reward bonus on the CapOne Savor card for $3k spend in 3 months. Do you guys cash out the rewards and then call to cancel or wait until closer to the annual fee is due?

Cancelling immediately is a great way to piss off the banks and, often, to get your signup bonus yanked away.

Wait at minimum to the end of the first year. Also, instead of canceling outright, product change it to something else. Options include a no-AF SavorOne, a no-AF VentureOne, and of course their regular Quicksilver card.

edit:
Personally, Capital One cards take so many inquiries (since they pull each bureau) that I'd be reluctant to end up with no account at the end for the trouble. Also, most or all of them have no foreign transaction fees, so it's good to keep around in case you're buying something from a merchant in another country or in the event of travel. They also often have some sort of exclusive partnership where you can get something discounted (like spotify before, or the hotels.com deal that was still current last I had looked a couple months back).

astral fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 17, 2019

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
I currently have 34 open cards (all with 0 balances) :black101: . All of them have no annual fee or are in their first year, where the signup bonus clearly outweighs the first year's annual fee. As long as you have a clear and maintainable plan and tracking system, it's all good.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
Yes, wait for the annual fee to post before you product change or cancel. Most banks allow at least 30 days to cancel the card after the fee posts for a full refund.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

hostile apostle posted:

Yes, wait for the annual fee to post before you product change or cancel. Most banks allow at least 30 days to cancel the card after the fee posts for a full refund.

This. For some odd reason banks are ok with canceling in the 13th month and not paying an annual fee, but are not if you cancel before.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

OldSenileGuy posted:

I'm currently at:

Citi DoubleCash
Amazon Prime Visa
Target RedCard
Chase Ultimate Freedom
USBank Perks + (literally never used)
Discover w/e (My parents' that I've been on since I was 12 months old)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm currently at:

Citi DoubleCash
Amazon Prime Visa
Target RedCard
Chase Ultimate Freedom
USBank Perks + (literally never used)
Discover w/e (My parents' that I've been on since I was 12 months old)

You should definitely see if you can product change that Perks+ to a Cash+ for you-choose-them 5% and 2% categories!

My favorite categories right now for Cash+ are Home Utilities (e.g. natural gas, electricity, trash service, water) and Cell Phones (this has counted for me for other at&t services). Will be interesting to see if AT&T works for that new Internet Services category too, then I could consider switching my category to get 5% on at&t and cable too (I don't have a Chase business card to otherwise get 5% on internet/cable/etc.) :toot:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
This is a small problem, but I’m curious if anyone has a suggestion.

I currently use Double Cash as my main card. $0 yearly fee, simple, 2% back.

Other cards that we have because we used to get rewards: another Citi card, AmEx Blue Card (I use for electronics for the warranty), and Discover IT (one year bonus now ended).

Of all problems, we shop at Costco. Costco only takes Visa. None of our cards are Visa.

It isn’t life or death, but are there any good signup or one year promos for a card that is Visa?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

This is a small problem, but I’m curious if anyone has a suggestion.

I currently use Double Cash as my main card. $0 yearly fee, simple, 2% back.

Other cards that we have because we used to get rewards: another Citi card, AmEx Blue Card (I use for electronics for the warranty), and Discover IT (one year bonus now ended).

Of all problems, we shop at Costco. Costco only takes Visa. None of our cards are Visa.

It isn’t life or death, but are there any good signup or one year promos for a card that is Visa?

You could snag a Chase Sapphire Preferred: no AF first year, $500 worth of points if you spend $4k in 3months, no foreign transaction fees. 2x points on dining and travel. After the year, product change it down to a 1.5% back everywhere visa "Chase Freedom Unlimited."

If you grab a referral from a family member or friend, they'll get some bonus points too.

edit: Another option is calling Citi to see if you could change the 'another' card into the Citi Costco, if you aren't using that one. Note that once converted to Citi Costco it can't be converted to anything else.

astral fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 18, 2019

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

astral posted:

You could snag a Chase Sapphire Preferred: no AF first year, $500 worth of points if you spend $4k in 3months, no foreign transaction fees. 2x points on dining and travel. After the year, product change it down to a 1.5% back everywhere visa "Chase Freedom Unlimited."

If you grab a referral from a family member or friend, they'll get some bonus points too.

edit: Another option is calling Citi to see if you could change the 'another' card into the Citi Costco, if you aren't using that one. Note that once converted to Citi Costco it can't be converted to anything else.

No lie, I looked at the Costco card and was not a big fan, but I did not notice it was a Citi card. I would have no qualms turning my old Citi card to the Costco card if they’ll let me. The only reason I keep it is that it’s my oldest card on my credit report.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
4x on gas, 3x on dining & travel, no annual fee - what's not to like? That's better than any other card you have for those categories.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hostile apostle posted:

4x on gas, 3x on dining & travel, no annual fee - what's not to like? That's better than any other card you have for those categories.

Well, for me overall, I use Double Cash because I found Myself and my wife spend less using one card, vs having different cards for different categories. So long term, there’s that.

Otherwise, the one time a year payout annoyed me. But if it’s replacing the card I have otherwise, that doesn’t bother me as much. I am trying to avoid having that many more than 4 credit cards, maybe out of fear of overspending or something.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
That US Bank card sounds great. 5% cash back on my $250/month train ticket is fantastic. Is there a ref bonus I can get someone one?

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Not seeing a referral option.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Girbot posted:

Not seeing a referral option.

Cool. I'll sign up today. I hope NJ Transit qualifies doe the 5% ground transportation category.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Should be good as long as you buy it directly from them.

If you've used a credit card to buy them before, you could check your statement to see if it coded 4112 (Passenger Railways) and you should be golden.

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
Anyone ever get around Amex's one bonus per product rule? A few years ago I applied for a Premier Rewards Gold using a link meant for another country. Customer service noticed and told me a few days after application that I wouldn't qualify for the boosted bonus (thanks, internet!). I cancelled the card and got the AF refunded, but now I may or may not be blocked from earning the current Gold card's bonus. Customer service says the only way to find out if the bonus offer is active is to apply and check, after the credit pull.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

JohnnyTreachery posted:

Anyone ever get around Amex's one bonus per product rule? A few years ago I applied for a Premier Rewards Gold using a link meant for another country. Customer service noticed and told me a few days after application that I wouldn't qualify for the boosted bonus (thanks, internet!). I cancelled the card and got the AF refunded, but now I may or may not be blocked from earning the current Gold card's bonus. Customer service says the only way to find out if the bonus offer is active is to apply and check, after the credit pull.

There's a popup that comes up during the application before any hard pull that should tell you if you are ineligible for the bonus. Amex is known to be extremely inflexible when they deny a bonus so if the popup shows up or if you are otherwise denied the bonus later on down the line, there is not much in the way of recourse.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
You could always get a Gold or Platinum for the bonus and then upgrade/downgrade later. You may have to wait a year, though.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Last I knew their systems count holding/ever having held the PRG against getting the Gold bonus. Counts as the same product.

You'd need one of those mythical no lifetime language signup bonus offers - and even then, you can't count on it since they are still often denied. :(

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Meant Green or Platinum, sorry

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
There was some emails going around recently that bypassed that. Rare though.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I have some potentially stupid newbie questions about signing up for a new card that I figure you fine goons may be able to answer.

I currently have a Wells Fargo Platinum Visa Card, originally a Cash Back College Card that got upgraded a year or so ago after I graduated, that is going to expire in a few months and I'd like to get a card or two that gives me better cash back rewards. I know through Wells Fargo I can probably upgrade to their Cash Wise Visa fairly easily, which has 1.5% cash back. However, the Citi Double Cash Card appeals to me for the flat 2% cash back. As a general purpose card, that seems like a better option for me than something with rotating categories (Such as the Discover It) that won't really be relevant to me 3-4 months at a time. I'm also looking into the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa, since the 5% back there and 2% back on gas/restaurants would also be handy for me since I already have Prime and use Amazon often so that seems pretty logical for me.

I think Wells Fargo requires you to have some kind of checking/savings/whatever account with them, but does Citi require the same for the Double Cash Card? I like the card, but Citi is practically nonexistent where I live and I don't want or need anything other than the credit card. Also, would there be any issues or fees with me paying the bill on the Double Cash Card from my Wells Fargo checking account? Part of the appeal of the Cash Wise card is it would be the same system I already use so I wouldn't be a big change, or potentially any extra fees that might potentially negate the extra half percent from the Citi card.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Most of the big banks don't require an associated checking account to give you credit (but since you have a thin file, it can help depending on the bank).

Personally I'd recommend you next go with Chase - if you've got a year or more of credit history, Chase is generally happy to approve you for your next card. Also, if you're planning to get a few cards in total, Chase has the strictest rules about how many cards you can have obtained in the last 2 years from any issuer before Chase will stop approving you for any card. That number is 5 cards in the last 24 months - if you exceed that, Chase won't approve you for anything.

From Chase, I'd recommend considering in addition to the Amazon card:
- Chase Freedom Unlimited (1.5% back on anything). It has a $150 signup bonus after you've spent $500 in the first 3 months.
- Chase Freedom (1% back on everything, rotating quarterly categories for 5% back. This quarter, it's Drugstores and Gas. Calendar here, but Chase has been keeping future categories a secret until close to the next quarter). It has the same $150 after spending $500 in the first 3 months signup bonus.
- If your regular expense pattern supports it, you could also consider the Chase Sapphire Preferred. It offers 2 points per dollar on travel and dining, and no foreign transaction fees. Points are worth 0.01 as cash, .0125 on travel via their travel portal, or can be transferred to one of several airline or hotel partners. It has a $95 annual fee that is waived for the first year. You can change it to a different card after the first year to avoid the fee. It has a spending bonus: you get $500 back (or more, with the flexible points) if you spend $4,000 in the first 3 months. The ideal approach, if your spending supports it (don't spend extra just to get such bonuses; it defeats the purpose) would be to get this card, get the bonus, change it after one year to one of the aforementioned Freedom cards.

To answer your other questions: No, you do not pay any extra because you're paying from a different bank. With pretty much any credit card, you have a few options to pay your bill:

1) On the credit card bank's website, you'd enter your regular bank account's routing number and account number. This is what's called a 'pull' payment, where the credit card bank pulls the money from your regular bank. Naturally, make sure you have the money in your main bank before doing a pull payment. If you're at all interested in using an Autopay feature, this type of payment is more or less required. The advantage is that your credit card bank knows immediately about the payment, and it can be registered as paid that day even though it'll take a couple of business days for the money itself to get there and be settled. The disadvantage is if there is a problem with the payment, sometimes even if it's the credit card bank's fault or their website's fault, it can be a mess to try to untangle.

2) From your regular bank account, you could use what's called their "Bill Pay" feature to fill in various information (usually found in each statement you receive from the credit card bank in the 'payment coupon' part, like their P.O. Box and your credit card account number so they know who to credit the payment to) about your credit card bill. Then, each time you receive a bill from your credit card bank, you'd have to manually enter how much to pay on your regular bank's site. This is called a 'push' payment, where you are pushing the money over from your regular bank. Because the credit card bank doesn't know about it immediately, and because it takes a couple of business days to send the money, it's important to do this a while before the due date. This is the method I use.

3) When you get a statement you could just write a check and mail it in. You'd pay extra for the stamp, then have to drop it off with other letters. I do not personally recommend this method since it costs extra, takes the longest, and could get lost.

edit: Oh yeah, and if you go with one of those Chase cards see if you have any family or friends with that card: there are referral bonuses for the Freedom Unlimited and the Sapphire Preferred that would give them $100 in points.

Also, if you like the idea of categories, you might also want to consider the U.S. Bank Cash+, where you choose 2 5% categories from a list: https://cashplus.usbank.com/categories/index

or Discover, who also have rotating categories but the decency to publish them ahead of time: https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/cashback-bonus/cashback-calendar.html

Discover has referrals too, $50 for you and $50 for the referrer.

astral fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 20, 2019

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Speaking of referrals:

Goon Credit Card random referral page:
:siren:https://goo.gl/aA5mzH:siren:

Enjoy

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

astral posted:

The Cash+ is a solid addition if you aren't interested in chasing signup bonuses.

Just realized that since my main reason for being interested in Cash+ is to start getting 5% cash back on my myriad of streaming services, and I already have an Amex Blue Cash Preferred, I could already be getting 6% cash back on those services by just buying gift cards for Netflix/Hulu/Spotify at the supermarket and applying them to my account. Not sure why I never thought of that before...

I’ll probably get the Cash+ anyway just so I don’t have to bother with the gift cards, as well as start getting 5% on all my Lyft and MetroCards.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

OldSenileGuy posted:

Just realized that since my main reason for being interested in Cash+ is to start getting 5% cash back on my myriad of streaming services, and I already have an Amex Blue Cash Preferred, I could already be getting 6% cash back on those services by just buying gift cards for Netflix/Hulu/Spotify at the supermarket and applying them to my account. Not sure why I never thought of that before...

I’ll probably get the Cash+ anyway just so I don’t have to bother with the gift cards, as well as start getting 5% on all my Lyft and MetroCards.

It's a problem with having so many different kinds of cards, I have the 6% back at grocery stores with that Amex. But my Discover IT is still 10% back at grocery this quarter, then there's when the Chase Freedom category is grocery stores...so many ways to maximize all the various categories, I think I mess it up with so many options.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I've been trying to sign up with the Barclay's Uber card and the back and forth with paperwork is frustrating to say the least. I want to shift to a new card since the reward points on my Well Fargo card are pretty basic (1% on everything essentially). Besides the Amazon Rewards Visa, what's a good card for reward points that isn't associated with travel?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

I've been trying to sign up with the Barclay's Uber card and the back and forth with paperwork is frustrating to say the least. I want to shift to a new card since the reward points on my Well Fargo card are pretty basic (1% on everything essentially). Besides the Amazon Rewards Visa, what's a good card for reward points that isn't associated with travel?

There are several 2% cards. Citi double cash and Fidelity are the two common ones. There's an Alliant card that offers 3% for a year also.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Is there a card that pays more than 3% cash back on travel (airfare and hotels)?

I don’t want travel perks. I have more ff miles and hotel points then I will ever use.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

gvibes posted:

Is there a card that pays more than 3% cash back on travel (airfare and hotels)?

I don’t want travel perks. I have more ff miles and hotel points then I will ever use.

Amex Platinum gives 5% back on airfare booked direct and 5% on both booked through Amex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

asur posted:

Amex Platinum gives 5% back on airfare booked direct and 5% on both booked through Amex.

They give 5 points per dollar, but MR points only redeem for cash at 0.6 cents/point. Total cash back is still just 3%.