Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
It is funny how Prime is probably objectively the best streaming service for non-original content despite the fact no one gets it for the streaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How many streaming services do people run

I only have Netflix, Crunchyroll, and NJPW World

I have Prime but thats for ordering books so the streaming is kind of a side thing for me

Netflix, Hulu, Prime. I’d just as soon pay for stuff, while I’m quite cheap (too cheap for cable), I’m also quite lazy, and doing more sounds like effort, plus there’s so much content in general you’re never really lacking for options.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/robrousseau/status/1084457626619072515?s=19

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

No Butt Stuff posted:

you mean BTB?

There's whole communities for files that are private. Torrenting is still really easy, as is getting something from usenet.

Nope!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It is funny how Prime is probably objectively the best streaming service for non-original content despite the fact no one gets it for the streaming

Prime has great original shows, too. Patriot, Goliath, Tick, Marvelous Ms Maisel

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I only have Netflix and Crunchyroll.

Though really, I don't even have netflix, I just bought an account for my parents and never bothered switching off my friend's.

Oh hey, as far as streaming tv channel dealies go, is youtube TV the easiest one to use? I need to set one of those up for them, and the only requirement is it has to have all the cable news channels and especially Fox news and I hate it so much.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Bootleg streaming sites are a never ending game of whack a mole as they get shut down. And is torrenting even really a thing anymore?

no way, streaming sites are in full effect now that companies have sold their platforms without any real security behind them, so most of the streams are straight up from the streaming company. my favorite story was when the nhl was testing 60fps streams and they might have rolled it out to a select few but generally not, so the pirate sites had better quality than you probably would have got from the actual nhl gamecenter thing. i think everyone gets around actual dmca requests by saying they aren't actually hosting any illegal content or just hosting everything in russia.

torrenting is still a big thing although it's poisoned by goon project syndrome plus an attempt to make it a double secret club with closed registrations and interviewing and strict rules for content and quality so you end up with stupid poo poo like a site for lossless JAVs with 2 users. the big sites just shovel whatever comes in from the scene straight into the furnace.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

RIP FilmStruck, the one good streaming service. Last year I only paid for that and Prime, plus I've got access to Netflix through a family plan although I don't think it's worth it on its own.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

V triggered rn

https://twitter.com/fizfashizzle/status/1085217027583823872?s=21

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I cancelled Crunchyroll when DBS ended because most of the shows I watched on there were on Hulu anyway. I'll get HBO Go for a couple months when GoT comes out too.

Prime has a lot of good movies, but I always seem to forget about it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I only pay for Prime for the shipping & the streaming is a pleasant bonus. I've been leeching off my friends for Netflix & Hulu for years.

In other news, those 7-Eleven chicken wings were a poor life choice.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Is that a rowing machine

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Is that a rowing machine

Uh clearly it’s an ab machine with a handle for some reason

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
My wife pays for our Netflix, we get Hulu free with our Sprint family plan (my parents pay the extra 5 bucks for ad free in exchange for their profile), I have Spotify premium, and my parents let us use their Xfinity login for anything else. Also, like 20 channels via antenna. Oh, also HBO Now, so thats like 25 bucks a month for all our entertainment needs. It helps that my parents have a premium Xfinity account for sure, so we don't spend a lot on TV.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Nope!

Prime has great original shows, too. Patriot, Goliath, Tick, Marvelous Ms Maisel

I cannot help but notice the conspicuous absence of GOAT-show Jean Claude Van Johnson

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/burgerking/status/1085213382192627717?s=21

got em

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I share Netflix with my in-laws and they share Crave(canadian only streaming service that has all the HBO stuff) with us. My wife bought Prime this year but almost nothing has the shipping option in Canada and the streaming service is subpar. I also have a Spotify family account and for some reason my wife got cable again.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Power of Pecota posted:

RIP FilmStruck, the one good streaming service. Last year I only paid for that and Prime, plus I've got access to Netflix through a family plan although I don't think it's worth it on its own.

I am super pissed I found out about filmstruck by it closing

I would have been all over a criterion streaming servi e

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Speaking of dumb gym stuff, those oxygen masks that I see a couple of guys wear from time to time, do they actually do anything?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am super pissed I found out about filmstruck by it closing

I would have been all over a criterion streaming servi e

criterion is gonna start one in response to the end of filmstruck

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1085228801003540485

yes, catering to an audience that wants you dead at best

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

achillesforever6 posted:

Speaking of dumb gym stuff, those oxygen masks that I see a couple of guys wear from time to time, do they actually do anything?

Make you look like Bane and feel cool. Also pass out in my gym like a dumbass and make us do first aid on you

Android Apocalypse posted:

:monocle:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Android Apocalypse posted:

#justgoonthings

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I mean those masks definitely restrict air, I am just not sure if only using them when working out actually improves your red blood cell count as opposed to living in the mountains

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Blowjob Overtime posted:

:lol: Opened Facebook to see someone post about the Netflix increase and say "*sigh* I use Hulu more anyway. Ditching Netflix by summer." There you go, Mel.

In a similar vein, we get a water bill from the city once year, and the only thing on it is a flat-rate charge for sewer and storm drains. It's like $20 once a year, but my wife goes nuts complaining for five minutes or so about how we shouldn't have to pay it because we don't use either of those things.

Your wife is an idiot

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That's not nice.

It might make her feel better to know that even if you're on a septic tank it'll eventually need to be pumped down at which point the septic truck that vactors that gross poo poo away will take it to the local sewage treatment plant. So you do use the sewer system, just all at once instead of via little daily contributions.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
I like the concept of Punch Up the Jam, but holy hell are these hosts just awful. So much mindless banter and the vocal fry of the hosts is just grating.

Anyone else have some good reccos for podcasts?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/silviakillings/status/1085236068381851650

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

That's not nice.

It might make her feel better to know that even if you're on a septic tank it'll eventually need to be pumped down at which point the septic truck that vactors that gross poo poo away will take it to the local sewage treatment plant. So you do use the sewer system, just all at once instead of via little daily contributions.

Yeah, our septic gets pumped every three years. We don't have storm drains in our neighborhood, but it is nice to not have the streets flood every time it rains and we need to go to the grocery store, for instance. I just wish it was rolled into our property taxes or something so I don't need to hear about $20 once a year.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

No wonder BK twitter was taking shots, they mad they got the short stack of the table

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
No spicy chicken should mean immediate impeachment/execution.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

swickles posted:

You already know that Trump thinks those spicy chicken sandwiches are too spicy.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

seiferguy posted:

You already know that Trump thinks mayo is too spicy.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Neil Armbong posted:

staying completely on brand for me as a stereotypical NPR listener

https://overcast.fm/itunes1181589165/make-me-smart-with-kai-and-molly

It's a little more relaxed than marketplace proper

https://overcast.fm/itunes394775318/99-invisible

this one the host is very public radio but the topics are fascinating if you like design and architecture. Great at 2x speed.

https://overcast.fm/itunes934552872/switched-on-pop

they do overly-deep dives into the musical theory of pop songs, you're either going to be fine with the hosts or detest them

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 15, 2019

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Neil Armbong posted:

I like the concept of Punch Up the Jam, but holy hell are these hosts just awful. So much mindless banter and the vocal fry of the hosts is just grating.

What are you looking for in terms of podcast? I've gotten really deep into the How Stuff Works comedy division lately. The Daily Zeitgeist (daily news stuff), Behind the Bastards ("everything you didnt know about the worst people in history"), Nerdificent (running down a nerdy topic every week, top to bottom).

Shea Serrano's Villains is really good, as is What A Time to Be Alive (3 comics run down the top 5 news stories of the week that make you say the thing that is the title of the podcast... it's mostly dumb criminals and animals though).

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Dan Carlin just put out a new episode, so that alone should keep you happy for a while

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Telling people to get into Dan Carlin is pure evil. Hope you liked this episode, see you in 12 years.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Spoeank posted:

What are you looking for in terms of podcast? I've gotten really deep into the How Stuff Works comedy division lately. The Daily Zeitgeist (daily news stuff), Behind the Bastards ("everything you didnt know about the worst people in history"), Nerdificent (running down a nerdy topic every week, top to bottom).

Shea Serrano's Villains is really good, as is What A Time to Be Alive (3 comics run down the top 5 news stories of the week that make you say the thing that is the title of the podcast... it's mostly dumb criminals and animals though).

Just interesting. I like Shutdown Fullcast, binge WTF with Maron from time to time. Same with the dollop. I listen to Larry WIlmore and Hannibal when they make podcasts and Wellred is hit or miss these days.

Idk, Punch Up the Jam seems like it should be cool, but the hosts are awful. I also think the same of Chapo.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I cannot help but notice the conspicuous absence of GOAT-show Jean Claude Van Johnson

Oh my god you’re right and that show WAS fun.

Is there a second season?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Your wife is an idiot

Melania would be very disappointed at this.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

swickles posted:

A republican fast food feast without Chik-Fil-A? Inconceivable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Yeah, our septic gets pumped every three years. We don't have storm drains in our neighborhood, but it is nice to not have the streets flood every time it rains and we need to go to the grocery store, for instance. I just wish it was rolled into our property taxes or something so I don't need to hear about $20 once a year.

Tell your wife $20 a year is worth not living in a cholera-infested poo poo-swamp where sewage runs down open gutters in the streets. Then you can go on to explain that spreading the cost of infrastructure benefits everyone in a community, because even people who don't directly use that infrastructure still interact with people and use services that make use of that infrastructure daily. And then if that's not enough, you can also point out that even if you lived in a completely different country, it's fundamentally humane to help people not die of easily preventable diseases caused by bad sanitation, and maybe you guys could donate $20 to a charity that helps build basic sanitation infrastructure to help people not die.