Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Are there any decent youtube channels/streamers that explain how to play this dumb game efficiently? Somehing live ViBE does for SC2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Morholt posted:

Are there any decent youtube channels/streamers that explain how to play this dumb game efficiently? Somehing live ViBE does for SC2.

Day9 is Day9 for a reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3W4c8U4SDU

here's the whole playlist which includes pro game analyses, general overviews, mechanical tutorials and race-specific analysis.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
ASL SEASON SEVEN
NUKES NUKES NUKES NUKES NUKES NUKES

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Morholt posted:

ASL SEASON SEVEN
NUKES NUKES NUKES NUKES NUKES NUKES

oh dang I forgot this was back on, thanks for the link!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i can't watch asl live this season for the most part so i'm catching up on the matches now

i am heck of irritated that there's a map called block chain lmao

e: holy lmfao nada, i'm so sad that didn't work but so happy it happened

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 13, 2019

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

2019 is starting off with a bang with those matches, a good opening set

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Aces High posted:

2019 is starting off with a bang with those matches, a good opening set

:golfclap:

Nada played a lot better than I expected, even though there were some macro slipups in his last game

also, you know, nukes nukes nukes, and a legitimately sensible use of them instead of whatever the poo poo Leta was doing was

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Yay Broodwar is back! Some good first matches and the new maps look interesting especially the one with the spooky forest.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Is there a YouTube channel doing games-only VODs of the matches this season? Afreeca’s actual YouTube channel keeps getting videos pulled over copyrighted music and their own mobile app is unusably bad.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

skasion posted:

Is there a YouTube channel doing games-only VODs of the matches this season? Afreeca’s actual YouTube channel keeps getting videos pulled over copyrighted music and their own mobile app is unusably bad.

http://bj.afreecatv.com/aslenglish works fine for me

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Too slow loading for me to watch on mobile, feels like I’m back in the 56k era. But thanks anyway

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

skasion posted:

Too slow loading for me to watch on mobile, feels like I’m back in the 56k era. But thanks anyway

It seemed smooth last year but trying to watch Group B right now (taken down from Youtube already ffs) and it doesn't stop buffering.

I bet it was Action playing a recent Ariana Grande song which caused the copyright takedown. :argh:

Edit: If you're desperate then you can watch them on Flash's Youtube channel but ofc it's Korean commentary: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4TDU9SEVB0EgslnTI2O9IQ/videos

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 16, 2019

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Group B got re-uploaded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccHowdvT5SA

Hopefully they stay on top of it this time.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

That Best vs Zelot game was pretty embarrassing

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Group D was considerably better than Group C, don't skip game 2 when you see the build orders!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Group D was a bunch of weird but one-sided games

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i am enjoying this season so far, i even caught tuesday's games live since i had a migraine monday that made me sleep all day and was up all night as a result

sometimes i think about trying to play starcraft again myself and then as soon as i do my wrist starts hurting so badly that i decide not to even install it

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

there have been a lot of "gently caress it, let's see if this will work" strategies so far

I'm actually enjoying it, probably because at least players have the decency to gg when they know their strategy didn't work, unlike that one guy in KSL that would drag matches out until he was completely beaten

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I'm liking the new maps a lot, especially the one with the "trees" hiding line of sight. It never ceases to amaze me how innovative the maps continue to to made some 20 years after this game has been released.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Why do terrans keep trying this stupid Goliath poo poo that never works vs Zerg

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

abuse culture. posted:

But it did work earlier this season, granted the zerg bonered for it to work.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

abuse culture. posted:

it can work if the terran employing it is really really good.

if they're not a top-tier terran though they should just stick to sk terran, and even if it does work i question whether it's actually better than sk terran at all.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
That game where Protoss went all Reaver was fun to watch.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
The highlight of today's games is an amazing scarab, should start at 2:26:36 or so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG2Ql_lZZvk&t=8798s

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

a cow posted:

The highlight of today's games is an amazing scarab, should start at 2:26:36 or so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG2Ql_lZZvk&t=8798s

When I got to this in the vod I watched it, then rewatched it to make sure I hadn't missed something, then started linking it to everyone I know who cares about starcraft

also as a fun little followup in Horang2's post match interview he said something like the lines of "I could have saved that reaver but I was so mad at it that I let it die" :commissar:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I just realised that there are not a lot of Terran going forward, but maybe I just don't know how to read the matches, am I seeing that right that Group C has a TvT in it?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Aces High posted:

I just realised that there are not a lot of Terran going forward, but maybe I just don't know how to read the matches, am I seeing that right that Group C has a TvT in it?

yes. Also we still have the second, third, and fourth best terrans in the world coming up so I think it's reasonably likely we get 2 terrans in the ro8.

Also group B is insane, wow.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
The first two games have been really fun, great start to the group!

e: game four was not good, but I recommend all the other games.

a cow fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 12, 2019

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

what the heck happened in the loser's match today?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Last sucked it up trying to play a standard game so cheesed twice and got pretty lucky both times. I have no idea what Soulkey was doing though. Losing to Snow’s god reaver was one thing, but he went down to Last so badly. The delayed pool, wtf.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Elyv posted:

When I got to this in the vod I watched it, then rewatched it to make sure I hadn't missed something, then started linking it to everyone I know who cares about starcraft

also as a fun little followup in Horang2's post match interview he said something like the lines of "I could have saved that reaver but I was so mad at it that I let it die" :commissar:
How come Blizzard never fixed Scarabs in Remastered? I get not wanting to go down the SC2 route of constant balance fiddling, but why was it policy to not fix glaring bugs?

And yeah I know scarabs have been buggy since forever and it's part of the game etc etc but would anyone honestly miss it if it was fixed?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 12, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

If scarabs weren’t buggy pieces of poo poo then reavers would be too good. They do bonkers damage. If there wasn’t a chance that they would just fire off a wet fart and then die, people would just use them like siege tanks and build actual poo poo tons of them. Who cares if they are slow with that kind of consistent damage output.

I think that scarab weirdness is also just linked in to the weird pathing of Starcraft units as a whole. Scarabs aren’t especially dumb, it’s just that they can’t be microed at all so are left to figure out what you want on their own. If that means going around 15 probes and a whole mineral line to hit that probe of the far side, then by god they’ll do it. If you fixed this kind of behavior (assuming it is fixable without making the game explode) you would essentially have everything moving around blobwise with no trouble like SC2.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Sure, I meant fixing the dud bug rather than the pathing, which as you say would change the entire rest of the game.

I guess i can see the point that it would be a buff to Reavers, but the dud thing is a really annoying bit of RNG that can really swing a game suddenly, with nothing either player can do, and that just feels bad.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 13, 2019

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Zephro posted:

Sure, I meant fixing the dud bug rather than the pathing, which as you say would change the entire rest of the game.

I guess i can see the point that it would be a buff to Reavers, but the dud thing is a really annoying bit of RNG that can really swing a game at the moment with nothing either player can do, and that just feels bad.

Scarab pathing is sort of predictable when you know how it works, so couldn't duds be avoided by better targeting? Sometimes that won't be humanly possible, but stuff like going for a closer probe instead of one in the middle might help?

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

a cow posted:

Scarab pathing is sort of predictable when you know how it works, so couldn't duds be avoided by better targeting? Sometimes that won't be humanly possible, but stuff like going for a closer probe instead of one in the middle might help?

Probably. Duds seem to be linked to the scarab travelling too far so there must be some kind of timer or distance limit after which the scarab is no longer volatile.

Edit: I think Snow understands scarab logic better than Horang2.

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 14, 2019

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
If AlphaStar played Brood War, would it understand scarabs? :v:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

a cow posted:

Yeah but if you catch the one in the middle you kill like 8 probes instead of like 3. From what I've seen most duds are caused in pro play because pros are basically on top of everything, see there is a reaver in their mineral line, and just run all the workers away and then the scarab acts weird while it's chasing the workers.

skasion posted:

Last sucked it up trying to play a standard game so cheesed twice and got pretty lucky both times. I have no idea what Soulkey was doing though. Losing to Snow’s god reaver was one thing, but he went down to Last so badly. The delayed pool, wtf.

I don't think it's entirely fair to say Last sucked it up, he let through one drop and that was basically the end of the game. Soulkey thought he could stop the rax and then be insanely ahead and well, it didn't quite end up working out that way. I also thought both of his cheeses were intelligent cheeses; 8rax in TvZ isn't a hard cheese, if you kill like 4 or 5 workers you're fine, and apparently everyone goes Nexus first on Whiteout since the traditional Terran answer doesn't work on that map, so if you want to be advantaged against it you have to go for the coinflip.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

isndl posted:

If AlphaStar played Brood War, would it understand scarabs? :v:

If AlphaStar played Brood War it'll probably come up with a strat involving mass reavers crawling slowly across the map. And somehow beat a progamer with it. :D

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

That mine hit in game 5 today :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Group C winners is a legitimately great game