Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

goose willis posted:

Bit of a vague request, but: 90s alternative rock bands with a female vocalist and "clean" vocals? Like, you can actually hear the lyrics and comprehend them, so more Veruca Salt and less My Bloody Valentine

Hilariously, a good example of what I'm looking for would be the full version of the title song for Daria: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-EHnZ7QDkQ

scrawl, sleater-kinney, helium, letters to cleo, julianna hatfield / blake babies, liz phair, slant 6, the muffs, the gits, kim's songs from the major label sonic youth albums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

i was gonna also recommend the breeders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i76b0OrdIQ

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I would like recommendations for 70s soul music that isn't as much on the disco end of things, along the lines of Curtis Mayfield, Isaac Hayes or Barry White (although lengthy spoken raps to introduce songs as practised by the latter two in particular are optional).

Edit: And any of that 90s soul where hip-hop production was being fused with the R&B vocal group tradition; I would be grateful for any recommendations of groups or albums in that line as well.

Out of modern stuff, Raphael Saadiq's Stone Rollin' is probably my favourite neo soul record of recent years.

https://youtu.be/oz5PeA1sXS0

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

goose willis posted:

Bit of a vague request, but: 90s alternative rock bands with a female vocalist and "clean" vocals? Like, you can actually hear the lyrics and comprehend them, so more Veruca Salt and less My Bloody Valentine

Hilariously, a good example of what I'm looking for would be the full version of the title song for Daria:

comedy option would be placebo

supplemental to the breeders would be the amps, which is the same band minus kelley deal

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

goose willis posted:

Hilariously, a good example of what I'm looking for would be the full version of the title song for Daria: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-EHnZ7QDkQ

To go with what else has been said above, there's also bands like Madder Rose, Fuzzy, Eve's Plum, Star 69 and The Spinanes. I'd stick in with that 90s Throwing Muses and Belly.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

A few quick ones :

Does anyone still make overly electric kpop with too much autotune like early 4minute and 2ne1? I want some obnoxious poo poo a teenage girl listens to to piss off her dad, not love songs.

What's a band like late period Snapcase if they didn't have a terrible monotone vocalist?

What's a band like old Behemoth, or like if Rotting Christ was harder?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Does anyone still make overly electric kpop with too much autotune like early 4minute and 2ne1? I want some obnoxious poo poo a teenage girl listens to to piss off her dad, not love songs.

For annoyance through modulation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4oHuML9U2A

For annoyance through sample selection and synths: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txWmd7QKFe8

For actually offending someone who loves old pop music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3H-4crGD6k

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 20, 2018

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What's a band like old Behemoth, or like if Rotting Christ was harder?

How old do you mean? Like their early 90s stuff is fairly typical polish black metal from that time but I don't really see the Rotting Christ connection so much.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Like Satanica era I guess. I guess both of them feel like there's a similar respect for songwriting and hooks, even before Behemoth got as light as they are now.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Rereading, a much better recommendation based on 4minute and 2ne1 would be Blackpink https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHNzOHi8sJs, who a lot of people consider to be carrying the torch of that style

CornbeefAndCabbage
Feb 20, 2006
Spin round' the carousel
I recently discovered Tally Hall and I'm looking for more bands that are upbeat, occassionally tongue-in-cheek, and have a progressive sensibility.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm looking for more stuff like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1lNhNHdoPI Naganuma/Jet Set Radio Music, hyper kinetic fun funky electronic music.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So, being a turbo nerd, I REALLY love some arrangements I have heard of Final Fantasy music, but I am not at all experienced with classical music in general. Does anyone have any suggestions for something sort of similar in style or feeling to this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Cqvaqj0Ls

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Meridian posted:

So, being a turbo nerd, I REALLY love some arrangements I have heard of Final Fantasy music, but I am not at all experienced with classical music in general. Does anyone have any suggestions for something sort of similar in style or feeling to this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Cqvaqj0Ls

Lemme know how Debussy - Symphony in B Minor strikes you

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

regulargonzalez posted:

Lemme know how Debussy - Symphony in B Minor strikes you

I like it a lot, thank you.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Meridian posted:

I like it a lot, thank you.

If you're up for trying a longer piece, Brahms Symphony #1 might work

You can try more Debussy of course

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I recently came across this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS2VlTItlWk

And really really really like it. Is this just 'blues'? I have no idea. Gimme somewhere to start. I've landed here by way of hiphop if that helps.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Tres Burritos posted:

I recently came across this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS2VlTItlWk

And really really really like it. Is this just 'blues'? I have no idea. Gimme somewhere to start. I've landed here by way of hiphop if that helps.

I would not really call that sound blues. If you like that kind of sound though, I would direct you to something like this cover of Little Wing, by Stevie Ray Vaughan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An4uDegHB8s

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
i like Sunn O))), and i like them even more when they use vocals which seems to only be a handful of songs, is there more like this?

and what’s that noise/drone rock genre where the vocals are nonsense words? i can’t find it again

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

The Science of Suck posted:

i like Sunn O))), and i like them even more when they use vocals which seems to only be a handful of songs, is there more like this?

and what’s that noise/drone rock genre where the vocals are nonsense words? i can’t find it again

You're thinking of Zeuhl. Magma, Ruins, Koenjihyakkei. Not much drone in there, though.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hooplah posted:

You're thinking of Zeuhl. Magma, Ruins, Koenjihyakkei. Not much drone in there, though.

:goonsay: it's not nonsense it's an invented language!!

Grudgerm
May 4, 2012

by Reene
I can never get through “The Last Seven Minutes” (by Magma) without getting drenched in sweat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the best version of Smile by Brian Wilson/the Beach Boys?

I've never listened to all of it; I always stopped at Pet Sounds.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's the best version of Smile by Brian Wilson/the Beach Boys?

I've never listened to all of it; I always stopped at Pet Sounds.

Adding on to this: I've listened the heck out of Pet Sounds since I was a lad but don't really know their work other than their big hits. What's a good next album?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's a bit tricky because before Pet Sounds, they were very much a "surfing, hot rods and girls in the sun" rock and roll band, the hit singles were by far their best material and most of their album tracks were very similar to their hits.

I like the Beach Boys' Party album, which is one of those fake live albums that weren't uncommon in the 60s (i.e. they record the songs then overdub crowd chatter later) because it's essentially a covers album with them doing Beatles songs, a couple of Bob Dylan songs and so on in a relaxed atmosphere.

I was mistaken earlier about not having heard anything after Pet Sounds because I forgot I have heard Wild Honey, which is an example of the band trying to get a bit into the blue-eyed soul bag, trying to do a Stax and Motown thing. It's decent enough for what it is but I'd honestly rank it below the first three Young Rascals albums for that sort of thing.

Water777
Mar 19, 2015
If you like Hammond organ 'The Roots Of Acid Jazz' by Jimmy Smith. Also anything by Jimmy Smith.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Modern boom bap with great verbal dexterity. Already familiar with Royce da 5'9, MF Doom, Joey Bada$$ and Kilker Mike.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Modern boom bap with great verbal dexterity. Already familiar with Royce da 5'9, MF Doom, Joey Bada$$ and Kilker Mike.

Tried to keep it within the last 5 years but In The Ruff is a bit earlier. You probably have heard it but Royce has a project with DJ Premier called PRhyme and they have put out two albums together.

Masta Ace & Marco Polo - A Breukelen Story
Diamond District - In The Ruff
Madlib & Freddie Gibbs - Pinata
Action Bronson - White Bronco
Black Thought - Streams of Thought Vol. 1 & 2
Evidence - Weather or Not
J. Cole - KOD
Oddisee - The Iceberg
9th Wonder - Zion II & Zion III (Instrumentals)

That should get you started. Let me know what ones you like and I can probably suggest more.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sweet mother of God, this is one hell of a thread.

I've heard more variety of music in the last day than in the last month.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bands like Lullacry? "Be My God" and "Touch the Flame" highlight best what I like about them.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Addamere posted:

Bands like Lullacry? "Be My God" and "Touch the Flame" highlight best what I like about them.

"Be My God" reminds me a lot of some of the later stuff from Sentenced.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

What are some albums with really good production that shows off good rear end headphones with wide soundstages? I have a pair of LCD-Xs that I need to take full advantage of.

Here are some albums that I really loved for taking advantage of this.

Genesis - Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Supertramp - Crime of the Century
Radiohead - Hail to the Thief
Alan Parson's Project - I, Robot
Vangelis - Blade Runner OST

And so on.
It can be any genre.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here & Dark Side of the Moon
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
Dr. Dre - 2001

Those were the ones that came to mind immediately, I'll try to add more later.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

MrSargent posted:

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here & Dark Side of the Moon
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
Dr. Dre - 2001

Those were the ones that came to mind immediately, I'll try to add more later.

These are all actually already on my playlist so they're definitely in the category I'm looking for.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

JebanyPedal posted:

What are some albums with really good production that shows off good rear end headphones with wide soundstages? I have a pair of LCD-Xs that I need to take full advantage of.

And so on.
It can be any genre.

This is usually not a great question for this thread because it typically devolves into everyone posting their favorite album because "good production" is, among the entirety of recorded music, a pretty broad and subjective thing. But anyway my personal recommendation is Leaves Turn Inside You by Unwound.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

JebanyPedal posted:

And so on.
It can be any genre.

Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise
Scott Walker 1
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi versus the Pink Robots

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

JebanyPedal posted:

What are some albums with really good production

I'm really not very good at judging production in much detail, but Helloween - Chameleon has always struck me as an album with a wonderfully crisp, clear sound.

Youtube probably doesn't do it full justice, but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHmWbdl5-7M

Master of the Rings from them sounds real good too.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Hooplah posted:

This is usually not a great question for this thread because it typically devolves into everyone posting their favorite album because "good production" is, among the entirety of recorded music, a pretty broad and subjective thing. But anyway my personal recommendation is Leaves Turn Inside You by Unwound.

I guess I specifically meant broad sounding albums with wide soundstages where the production really takes advantage of that with sound coming from all different directions, albums that envelop you where the spatial aspect of it is an essential part of the album and where each individual instrument and bit of vocals are distinct and separate.

One of the best ways to describe it is Stevie Wonder's Innervisions album's segments where you heard the sounds of the city and people talking and it does a really good job of making you feel like you're there, it doesn't just feel like stereo audio coming from two directions.

The recommendations so far seem pretty interesting though so I'll just toss them on my Tidal playlist. Worst case scenario I'll hear some good music with decent production values. Thanks everyone.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

JebanyPedal posted:

I guess I specifically meant broad sounding albums with wide soundstages where the production really takes advantage of that with sound coming from all different directions, albums that envelop you where the spatial aspect of it is an essential part of the album and where each individual instrument and bit of vocals are distinct and separate.

One of the best ways to describe it is Stevie Wonder's Innervisions album's segments where you heard the sounds of the city and people talking and it does a really good job of making you feel like you're there, it doesn't just feel like stereo audio coming from two directions.

The recommendations so far seem pretty interesting though so I'll just toss them on my Tidal playlist. Worst case scenario I'll hear some good music with decent production values. Thanks everyone.

Oh, I figured soundstage was a headphone nerd term, my b

That seems like a more tailored question. That Unwound album still fully applies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

JebanyPedal posted:

The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld is pretty good for this, along with a lot of the electronica of that era. It may not be the textures you want at all, but it's spacious and great on headphones. The Future Sound of London stuff from back then maybe too.