Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

KakerMix posted:

Be sure to tell your boss that you sent him to Japan Car Direct, sweet referral discount!!!

As for Jimny competition,
*cracks knuckles*

I told him to put me in as a referral. I didn't know if that gave any bonuses or discounts. Game on for Jimny's!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Does buying USDM Hijets count for sweet JDM points? I'm looking at a pair of them tomorrow for close to what it would take to buy one in Japan.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

DJ Commie posted:

Does buying USDM Hijets count for sweet JDM points? I'm looking at a pair of them tomorrow for close to what it would take to buy one in Japan.

Can you register them as full-on cars and do they have any speed limiters on them? This is important.

Dock pictures for the HiAce are in but they are super tiny and I won't have full-size till Monday so I won't post them yet. HOWEVER it is important that you know these two three? things:

DIGITAL DASH :catdrugs:

BROWN

NO FUEL

EDIT
and it does have the sonar and ~Joyful Talk~ options, as well as rear heater/AC. Don't know if I have sports suspension but I'm crossing my fingers.

EDIT

Also today we said goodbye to the blue Jimny as it begins its journey to Puerto Rico.

Got the Bongo cleaned up and ready for sale:

and I spent quite a long time detailing the Rugger:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 12, 2019

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Back in the game and lost the most mint caravan van life poo poo you can imagine by 20k yen tonight

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Got the Bongo cleaned up and ready for sale:

This fukkin owns and I hate that I have no money to burn atm :smith:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

dubzee posted:

This fukkin owns and I hate that I have no money to burn atm :smith:

Ayup. The bongo is 1000% my jam. If I had lottery money I’d be buying that, sticking tracks on it and turning it into the mobile garage for the snowmobile club.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
How much for the bongo?

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Mr-Spain posted:

How much for the bongo?

https://limerencemotors.com/inventory/1991-mazda-bongo-truck

How's this do on the highway?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it. That Jimny is calling my name.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Rhyno posted:

God drat it. That Jimny is calling my name.

import a jimny.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

import a jimny.

Like yeah I won't turn away a goon sale or anything but the whole OP details everything needed to do it yourself for a reason.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Mr-Spain posted:

How much for the bongo?

I've got it listed for $8,200 at the moment, as Kastivich linked.

Dunno, I can see tomorrow and report back. I've had it going 60 on 41 here as we bombed down to Venice to pick up cookie jars when we first got it.

EDIT

Took ol' Bongo on the interstate. Took a while to get there but hit 110 (68 mph) kmh and cruises no problem and is remarkably smooth.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 13, 2019

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Genuinely tempted to import a classic mini and put a honda engine in it.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

A: who the gently caress is this guy above me

B: god I want a stupid turbo 4x4 JDM, I just have to wait until about the end of the year and this is going to be painful

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SolusLunes posted:

Moog?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Auction Sheet posted:

5652- 5mt, ac, diesel, seats stains, interior dirty, steering wheel worn, undercarriage surface rust, dashboard glue remains, studless tires, small chips in windshield, other dents scratches

Inspector posted:

5652- engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, timing belt sticker from 2016 105,309km, no sludge, coolant color and level ok, no oil leaks, studless tires worn, tires in trunk ok, spare tires old, no leaks mold or rust in cargo area, arches ok, undercarriage surface rust only, boots ok, body good, windshield chips small, drivers seat door side piping 1cm visible, rear seats stained but most likely cleanable, dashboard passenger side glove box area glue remains and slight scratches, ceiling liner ok, no burns, very cold so ac not able to check, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, lights ok, windows ok, wipers ok

Didn't win.
1992 5 speed manual AWD turbo diesel PreviaEstima Lucida. 111,692 kms, super clean and in excellent shape. Nothing stand-out wise about it besides those specs, no fancy color, no alloy wheels, no neat-o sunroof. We put in a bid for 255005 yen, it sold for 258000, a real-world difference of $27.56 as of this post. That's fine though as for resell I'm not sure how well an Estima would do as it isn't a true 4WD system like the LiteAce. Someone got something neat though!

I did get high-res pictures of the HiAce though!

It's a big brown bastard with an MP3 CD player! And a dent in the rear end!! And the same key+fob combo that our Lexus SC300 had!!!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Previas are very popular with Chinese and SE Asian handymen in my neighbourhood. Toyota way overbuilt them or something - a guy down the street has an okay-looking blue one with 600k km on the odometer.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Previas are very popular with Chinese and SE Asian handymen in my neighbourhood. Toyota way overbuilt them or something - a guy down the street has an okay-looking blue one with 600k km on the odometer.

I've noticed that here, just north of Kakermix. The only man I've asked about it praised the flat floor and neutral handling while towing his little 12 foot lawn trailer. The Previa is much more truck-like than most smaller vans sold in the US, the RWD Chevy Astro and maybe the old Ford Aerostar are the only comparable vehicles I can think of.

Jefinabox
Jun 26, 2007
Unfortunately I don't think I could make any money on this in the UK but this has to be one of the coolest cars ever

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Jefinabox posted:

Unfortunately I don't think I could make any money on this in the UK but this has to be one of the coolest cars ever

Auction Sheet posted:

30030- 5mt, ac, height control, touring special, center diff lock, small chips in windshield, interior dirty and worn, scratches on mirrors, other dents scratches

Does look way good, especially with the low mileage. For the US at least we did get these, or a version of them at least, called the Corolla All-Trac. And I can't spend the 3000+ USD this one will cost and sell it for a profit over here either without risking losing money so I only went as far as asking for a sheet translation. By all accounts it's really good though. If someone wanted one as a personal car I'd be all over it. For profit though ehhhhh.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

SolusLunes posted:

B: god I want a stupid turbo 4x4 JDM, I just have to wait until about the end of the year and this is going to be painful

I'm me and I was here first :colbert:

get the 4x4 stupid turbo tho

Solus fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 15, 2019

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KakerMix posted:

Does look way good, especially with the low mileage. For the US at least we did get these, or a version of them at least, called the Corolla All-Trac. And I can't spend the 3000+ USD this one will cost and sell it for a profit over here either without risking losing money so I only went as far as asking for a sheet translation. By all accounts it's really good though. If someone wanted one as a personal car I'd be all over it. For profit though ehhhhh.

Someone down the street from me has one (in fact there are a couple in this neighborhood) and he also has the earlier Tercel with I think the carb'd 1.3L ~63hp.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I am just posting here to say I am officially on the Jimny wagon and will be beginning my search to buy my :krad: JDM import. Please point me to to any and all appropriate auctions.

Kaker - I genuinely would even consider your Wild Wind that you have right now. That is pretty much my ideal one, albeit with better AC.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I am just posting here to say I am officially on the Jimny wagon and will be beginning my search to buy my :krad: JDM import. Please point me to to any and all appropriate auctions.

Kaker - I genuinely would even consider your Wild Wind that you have right now. That is pretty much my ideal one, albeit with better AC.

Heck I'd even do a GOON DISCOUNT!!

~However~ this is the thread for importing things yourself.

So look at this one:

Auction Sheet posted:

90065- 5mt, ac, factory wheels, steering wheel and seats worn, small chips in windshield, interior dirty and scratches, undercarriage surface rust and corrosion, front turn signal lenses cracked, seats torn, interior torn, other dents scratches

It says corrosion but this is a AA house and it seems like they just say 'rust and corrosion' even if it's just rust on the leaf springs that is always there, I simply don't trust their sheet-filler-outter to be correct on this. I asked for a sheet translation and was going to get an inspection but I'm going after a couple other cars so I gave up on this one. My guess is an actual inspector would go out there and say 'oh dawg this poo poo is tight'

It's up in three hours so you'd have to act very fast but it looks quite good to me.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Heck I'd even do a GOON DISCOUNT!!

~However~ this is the thread for importing things yourself.

So look at this one:

It says corrosion but this is a AA house and it seems like they just say 'rust and corrosion' even if it's just rust on the leaf springs that is always there, I simply don't trust their sheet-filler-outter to be correct on this. I asked for a sheet translation and was going to get an inspection but I'm going after a couple other cars so I gave up on this one. My guess is an actual inspector would go out there and say 'oh dawg this poo poo is tight'

It's up in three hours so you'd have to act very fast but it looks quite good to me.

I would probably take you up on the goon discount if two things happened: I was closer to FL and if I wasn't so fascinated in doing the import thing myself.

That particular car has been on one of my watchlists after it was posted so I have been waiting to see where it goes. I really want one with some of those sweet cloth buckets.

Question for anyone, any ideas about installing seat belts on the rear seats? It has only been recent that I realized there were none back there. I have not ever really looked at stuff like aftermarket options for those.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I would probably take you up on the goon discount if two things happened: I was closer to FL and if I wasn't so fascinated in doing the import thing myself.

That particular car has been on one of my watchlists after it was posted so I have been waiting to see where it goes. I really want one with some of those sweet cloth buckets.

Question for anyone, any ideas about installing seat belts on the rear seats? It has only been recent that I realized there were none back there. I have not ever really looked at stuff like aftermarket options for those.

Should all be cloth if they are still OEM seats, though my wife's blue one had neoprene inserts rather than cloth. This Jimny I posted is cloth.
As for installing seatbelts in the back not sure, you can always install some yourself. There is nothing but metal all around you so welding anchor points inside wouldn't be an issue as far as I can see. Or heck maybe a roll-bar type thing like our Rugger has:

And mount belts to that.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

OK, so this is really a question about importing from Germany, but I figured the people in this thread would have a better sense about it than elsewhere. (Ironically I'm going to be in Japan before I end up in Germany.)

In the U.S., the Audi A6 was only offered with a manual transmission through the C5 model (2005.) In Germany, however, they continued to offer the manual trans; I want to import one of these newer models with a stickshift. My fantasy is to buy one, drive it around Germany, then import it. Is this dumb? Will it end up getting crushed? As far as I know it's otherwise the exact same car, and Audi used to offer a European Delivery service.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Auction Sheet posted:

50018- 5mt, ac, gasoline, sunroof stuck, ceiling liner loose, steering wheel worn, undercarriage surface rust and paint, wheels scratched, other dents scratches

Inspector posted:

50018- engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, no sludge, coolant color and level ok, engine bottom oily and dripping to ground, tires old and cracked, spare ok, no leaks mold or rust in trunk, undercarriage/wheel wells/fenders ok, boots ok, chips ok, seats good, ceiling liner ok, dashboard ok, sunroof not moving, cooler not working, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, lights ok, wipers ok, rear gate damper worn.

1990 Subaru Domingo, also called all sorts of things in other places. 1200cc engine so not kei, 5 speed manual, AC, sunroof, seats 7 (!) and those rad as hell wheels. It's flawless cosmetically, but the oil leak will need to be taken care of while in Japan (easy but more money out) and I'll need to replace the tires (as always). When it gets here I get to examine why the sunroof is stuck but considering this thing has 9,242 total miles on it I can imagine it was never used. It's our first Subaru.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

OK, so this is really a question about importing from Germany, but I figured the people in this thread would have a better sense about it than elsewhere. (Ironically I'm going to be in Japan before I end up in Germany.)

In the U.S., the Audi A6 was only offered with a manual transmission through the C5 model (2005.) In Germany, however, they continued to offer the manual trans; I want to import one of these newer models with a stickshift. My fantasy is to buy one, drive it around Germany, then import it. Is this dumb? Will it end up getting crushed? As far as I know it's otherwise the exact same car, and Audi used to offer a European Delivery service.

Not feasible, unless you want to pay lots of money to get that powertrain combo tested for the EPA. Safety (NHTSA) regulations could be met though, with modifications by a Registered Importer, at your expense.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

1990 Subaru Domingo

Looks completely like a re badged Toyota van to me, I wonder if it has an inline 4 or a boxer.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Charles posted:

Not feasible, unless you want to pay lots of money to get that powertrain combo tested for the EPA. Safety (NHTSA) regulations could be met though, with modifications by a Registered Importer, at your expense.
Hmm...maybe a transmission swap makes more sense lol, though I don’t see that anyone’s attempted it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Looks completely like a re badged Toyota van to me, I wonder if it has an inline 4 or a boxer.

Three cylinder EF12, a 1200cc 3 cyl engine that was also in the Subaru Justy. :toot:

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-324X7KbpauNdqXA.htm

Wanna be that van.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Hmm...maybe a transmission swap makes more sense lol, though I don’t see that anyone’s attempted it.

Just buy a USDM A6 and then transfer the VIN over to your manual A6 and then export the USDM car to some third world country to recoup some cash while keeping the VIN out of US systems

Note: don’t actually do this

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Your best bet here would probably be to talk to one of the higher end Audi tuners to see what's possible in a custom flash. If the Euro-market model uses the same ECU as the US model (likely but not guaranteed) it's very possible that there are a few flags they could flip to tell a US car that it doesn't need to worry about shifting gears anymore. In that case you'd just need to get the transmission and related parts and it'll probably be largely bolt-in.

My own personal experience with German cars suggests that they're pretty lego-like in terms of being able to mix and match parts, but with something like this you obviously want to be sure before you commit to it.

Another possible strategy is to just rig the shifter connections so the computer sees it as being in "neutral" at all times and just ignoring the CEL, which you may also be familiar with as a German car owner. That's how most of the manual swapped Crown Vics are done, the ECU has a reduced rev limiter in park but as long as it thinks the nonexistent automatic transmission is in neutral it'll just let things be.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Sold for 66000 yen or about $600 USD :negative: I want to buy all of these cars and give them a good home.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Just buy a USDM A6 and then transfer the VIN over to your manual A6 and then export the USDM car to some third world country to recoup some cash while keeping the VIN out of US systems

Note: don’t actually do this
:wtc:

wolrah posted:

Your best bet here would probably be to talk to one of the higher end Audi tuners to see what's possible in a custom flash. If the Euro-market model uses the same ECU as the US model (likely but not guaranteed) it's very possible that there are a few flags they could flip to tell a US car that it doesn't need to worry about shifting gears anymore. In that case you'd just need to get the transmission and related parts and it'll probably be largely bolt-in.
See, this is basically how it works on the C5 A6 as I understand it, which is a fairly common swap. But I can’t find any posts online about doing it to a C6+, and I don’t know if that’s from lack of interest or because Audi engineered the swap out of the realm of feasibility.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Sold for 66000 yen or about $600 USD :negative: I want to buy all of these cars and give them a good home.

Yeah I saw that, quite a low price. I do wonder what an inspector would have said, I'm guessing it was totally fine. Sometimes things dive for low prices :iiam:

Other neat things that sold:

Looks like it has some rust issues but a Toyota Stout!

Criminally low price for a Turbo 2 even if it doesn't have the Bulldog body going on

About a thousand dollars less than I expected on that Carib we were talking about earlier.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
Stupid question: what is the actual raw cost of shipping + port paperwork?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Honda City 😍😍😍