Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

he... he did hook up with Troi (and then the writers ditched that in a hot second for the movies)

He did and they ended up bailing on that because Worf went to a new show and it is hard to have a relationship continue at that point. I sort of buy her hooking up with Riker but their relationship has always been ridiculous. There was no reason it would not have worked as just being there on the show other then committed couples in happy relationships were forbidden on TNG so Riker can have sex with weird cultures and Troi can get mind raped and forcibly impregnated by a ball of light.

On a semi-related note in my head-canon after Odo went back to the link Keiko dies and O’Brien and Kira hook up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
why does she have to die in your unwritten fanfic, why can't she and miles amicably agree it's not working and go their own ways

also how do you reconcile your kira/o'brien relationship with o'brien's desire to go back to earth for teaching or whatever it was he was going to do back there

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
mods please implement a word filter to change all instances of "headcanon" to "unwritten fanfic", thanks and "god bless,

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

also i've been watching stargate sg-1 lately and recently got to the episode where jack o'neill pretends to get fired from sg-1 so that he can get recruited into/infiltrate the double-secret dark sg team run by colonel maybourne, and i just realized that a "Section 31" series is basically equivalent to "what if we did a whole show about the secret rear end in a top hat stargate troops?"

I could see a Section 31 show working if it involves mostly benign missions and then slowly grows darker and the protagonists eventually rebel against it and work together to expose it. The thing I do not get is who is behind it? The Federation Council? The President? Who is authorizing this stuff? Or are these more extreme measures unauthorized by the leadership?

If you want a dark show about secret operations in the Star Trek Universe just run with it and have it be about the Tal Shiar or the Obsidian Order so you can get rid of the pretense that you are the “good guys”.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Xenocides posted:

I think the problem with Alexander is that Starfleet child care/education seems to be awful. In the episode where Alexander is being a terror you see the poor harried teacher with this look of distress on her face. Seriously? You have presumably be trained on child care in a multi-species environment and one kid having some relatively minor problems brings you to that point?

Then you look at the other examples of child care. Keiko starts her school and then immediately insults the dominant religious belief in the area. Then she basically says screw it and runs off to mess with plants on Bajor for months at a time. Way to keep a child’s life consistent Keiko.

Then you have the little girl on Voyager and they let Neelix spend a lot of time with her alone and stick her on the holodeck a lot. Supposedly with a program Janeway used as a little girl. I thought holodecks being generally available was a new thing on TNG?

I can forgive Worf a little for his strictness due to the clever rationale DS9 gave for it. When Worf was a child he literally killed another kid playing soccer. That is likely why he was such a controlling father. He really should have hooked up with Troi. Between the two of them they could have socialized Alexander well.

Don't forget 7 of 9. Her parents decided to bring their kid along in their space Winnebago following the borg around. No other kids around to play with or anything. Then, "Oh no we're being assimilated! Who could have seen this coming???"

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

why does she have to die in your unwritten fanfic, why can't she and miles amicably agree it's not working and go their own ways

also how do you reconcile your kira/o'brien relationship with o'brien's desire to go back to earth for teaching or whatever it was he was going to do back there

Miles was never going to leave her and she was never going to leave him. I feel bad for the actress that played Keiko. The script writers gave her a schizophrenic character who was awful when they needed to work in a domestic unrest storyline and could be a wonderful partner when the script needed it (getting Miles and Julian to spend more time together). Miles would be bored to tears teaching. He already wasted far too much of his life standing at a transporter room console waiting for someone to need some beaming. He both hates and loves DS9 because of the challenge it provides.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Xenocides posted:

Miles was never going to leave her and she was never going to leave him. I feel bad for the actress that played Keiko. The script writers gave her a schizophrenic character who was awful when they needed to work in a domestic unrest storyline and could be a wonderful partner when the script needed it (getting Miles and Julian to spend more time together). Miles would be bored to tears teaching. He already wasted far too much of his life standing at a transporter room console waiting for someone to need some beaming. He both hates and loves DS9 because of the challenge it provides.

This seems like a good point to repost: http://chiefobrienatwork.com/

current strip:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Facebook Aunt posted:

Don't forget 7 of 9. Her parents decided to bring their kid along in their space Winnebago following the borg around. No other kids around to play with or anything. Then, "Oh no we're being assimilated! Who could have seen this coming???"

This is like the Star Trek version of anti-vaxxers and poo poo like that.

Oh no, I exposed my child to unnecessary risk due to my personally held and unscientific beliefs and now they are in danger!

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

That timeline always bugged me. 7 of 9 and her parents had to be assimilated before the Enterprise D made first contact with the Borg right? So how did they know about the Borg to study them? I guess Cochrane could have told them like how he kind of ended up telling Archer about them but why send a pair of idiots out to study them? How do you even know where they are to study them in the first place? If Starfleet did know about the Borg but wanted to keep it quiet shouldn’t they give all captains a secret briefing about them just in case they run into them like they did with that weird substance that Janeway had to deal with and that 7 of 9 worshipped?

Also if Wolf 359 is any indication then their research program on the Borg sucked. And since I am on a tangent of a tangent now why not go further? They acted like the defeat at Wolf 359 was a disaster for Starfleet and a huge loss of resources but a couple of years later Starfleet is losing hundreds of ships in the Dominion War. So how big is Starfleet?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Xenocides posted:

That timeline always bugged me. 7 of 9 and her parents had to be assimilated before the Enterprise D made first contact with the Borg right? So how did they know about the Borg to study them? I guess Cochrane could have told them like how he kind of ended up telling Archer about them but why send a pair of idiots out to study them? How do you even know where they are to study them in the first place? If Starfleet did know about the Borg but wanted to keep it quiet shouldn’t they give all captains a secret briefing about them just in case they run into them like they did with that weird substance that Janeway had to deal with and that 7 of 9 worshipped?

Also if Wolf 359 is any indication then their research program on the Borg sucked. And since I am on a tangent of a tangent now why not go further? They acted like the defeat at Wolf 359 was a disaster for Starfleet and a huge loss of resources but a couple of years later Starfleet is losing hundreds of ships in the Dominion War. So how big is Starfleet?

I actually checked this online and see the bullshit someone has had to write on the star trek wiki in order to justify the dumb voyager plot:

"Prior to the USS Enterprise-D's first encounter with the Borg, the Federation had knowledge of their existence, based on encounters with surviving members of species that had been destroyed by them such as the El-Aurians. However, empirical data on the Borg was very scarce: for example, there were descriptions of cube-shaped vessels, but no information on what Borg individuals looked like, other than rumors that they were cybernetically enhanced."

Technically Enterprise hadn't been written yet so the plausible "United earth aciddentally defrosted some borg years ago" excuse didn't exist.

So instead I'm having to be told that the flagship Captain of the Federation and his entire crew had no loving clue that the word "Borg" was even a thing but this dude knew enough to apply for a permit to go study them.

gently caress me Voyager was terrible.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Xenocides posted:

Then you have the little girl on Voyager and they let Neelix spend a lot of time with her alone and stick her on the holodeck a lot. Supposedly with a program Janeway used as a little girl. I thought holodecks being generally available was a new thing on TNG?

Neelix: "Look, I promise it's not weird, Kes Naomi Janeway grows at an accelerated rate!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kitchner posted:

I actually checked this online and see the bullshit someone has had to write on the star trek wiki in order to justify the dumb voyager plot:

"Prior to the USS Enterprise-D's first encounter with the Borg, the Federation had knowledge of their existence, based on encounters with surviving members of species that had been destroyed by them such as the El-Aurians. However, empirical data on the Borg was very scarce: for example, there were descriptions of cube-shaped vessels, but no information on what Borg individuals looked like, other than rumors that they were cybernetically enhanced."

Technically Enterprise hadn't been written yet so the plausible "United earth aciddentally defrosted some borg years ago" excuse didn't exist.

So instead I'm having to be told that the flagship Captain of the Federation and his entire crew had no loving clue that the word "Borg" was even a thing but this dude knew enough to apply for a permit to go study them.

gently caress me Voyager was terrible.

It's been forever since I've watched any Voyager, but I remembered it as they were a family that was just like "gently caress this poo poo, we're heading to uncharted space"

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Xenocides posted:

He did and they ended up bailing on that because Worf went to a new show and it is hard to have a relationship continue at that point. I sort of buy her hooking up with Riker but their relationship has always been ridiculous. There was no reason it would not have worked as just being there on the show other then committed couples in happy relationships were forbidden on TNG so Riker can have sex with weird cultures and Troi can get mind raped and forcibly impregnated by a ball of light.

On a semi-related note in my head-canon after Odo went back to the link Keiko dies and O’Brien and Kira hook up.

kieko never comes across as that bad in ds9, just stressed out sometimes. miles is as least a big a dick as she is

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Iron Crowned posted:

It's been forever since I've watched any Voyager, but I remembered it as they were a family that was just like "gently caress this poo poo, we're heading to uncharted space"

7 of The Wild Thornberrys

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah I thought they were civilians that just decided to do a "Grizzly Man" and even Seven resented them for their stupidity.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Xenocides posted:

Didn't she spend some time in a Borg maturation chamber? So she was actually younger than she looked.

Wait, I'm sure the wiki knows! http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Seven_of_Nine
Okay, according to this she was born in 2349. Q Who was in 2369, so yes the Hansens were exobiologists investigating the Borg before Picard encountered them. So perhaps we should forgive them for not understanding how dangerous the Borg were.

On the other hand holy shitballs they had their daughter in a tiny science ship with no friends or any human contact but her parents for 3 years. 3 years. She was 6 by the time she was assimilated, which is long past the time a kid should be socialized with peers. No wonder she's a robotic weirdo. Can't blame the borg for that one.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Xenocides posted:

That timeline always bugged me. 7 of 9 and her parents had to be assimilated before the Enterprise D made first contact with the Borg right? So how did they know about the Borg to study them?

WELL YOU SEE they got borged before they could write up their results so it actually makes perfect sense

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yeah I thought they were civilians that just decided to do a "Grizzly Man" and even Seven resented them for their stupidity.

It's a great concept that was never really explored in Star Trek. I mean not everyone conforms to the Federation or the like, so there would have been people who just set out to do their own thing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If anything through the collective she should have experienced more socialization from everyone else's memories and become more normal

I like that her parents are kind of the opposite extreme from the "Let's be Farmers" trope

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They SHOULD have been studying wormhole phenomena, accidentally opened up a transwarp conduit, and "fallen" into the Delta Quadrant. No previous knowledge of the Borg necessary.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

lol but seriously I posted:

WELL YOU SEE they got borged before they could write up their results so it actually makes perfect sense

I assumed they were an obvious decoy so the real science team could study the Borg or they were at least not the only ones.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

They SHOULD have been studying wormhole phenomena, accidentally opened up a transwarp conduit, and "fallen" into the Delta Quadrant. No previous knowledge of the Borg necessary.

Creating yet another weird way that humans somehow got to the Delta quadrant. An overused trope but it fits with the rest of Voyager.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Iron Crowned posted:

Nope, he applied for a permit to specifically go study the Borg.

slime_golem
Jul 14, 2011

At this rate, the American dollar won't be worth the foreskins they're printed on.

Iron Crowned posted:

I mean not everyone conforms to the Federation or the like, so there would have been people who just set out to do their own thing.

I think that explains all the weird colonies out there. Surely religious fundamentalists, eco-extremists and weird utopians are eager to jump ship on Earth and become pioneers.

What does it take to charter a colony ship and requisition an industrial replicator from the Federation government, I wonder?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Kitchner posted:

This is an OK plot though. I particularly like the bit where he's trying to trap Bashir in his mind with tidbits of information that he knows.

What is bad is when they produce a whole story about S31 and its going to be a Jack Bauer style "the ends justify the means" lead by, and let's not forget this, the former empress of the Terran Empire from the evil mirror universe.

The only way this can end well is if mirror Philippa Georgiou ends up seeing the error of her past ways and ends up becoming an advocate for transparency and diplomacy. She won't, though, because grimderp poo poo sells. :negative:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I want a series that's nothing but The Founders making plans to defend against Q

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Q's honna wreck em if they mess with his pet captain

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

shame on an IGA posted:

I want a series that's nothing but The Founders making plans to defend against Q

a single member of their species can become fire i bet the great link as a whole could make a scrap of it

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I want a new Star Trek series with a brave crew, a sturdy ship, and the goal To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Bogus Adventure posted:

I want a new Star Trek series with a brave crew, a sturdy ship, and the goal To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.

not allowed because dollars sorry

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Bogus Adventure posted:

we already have the orville for TNG redux, star trek should do something new but also not poo poo

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

waltz is on, we are only on the credits and already this is such a fuckin loaded exchange

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Bobby Deluxe posted:

waltz is on, we are only on the credits and already this is such a fuckin loaded exchange

sweet voiceover to start

Captain Sisko posted:

"Captain's log: Stardate 51408.6. I've been aboard the Honshu for two days now and I still haven't spoken to him, although the doctors have assured me that he's made a full recovery. Maybe that's what I'm afraid of. Maybe I prefer to think of him as a crazy man… a broken man. He'd be less dangerous that way. As terrible as it sounds, there's a part of me that wishes he were dead. But that's a thought unworthy of a Starfleet officer. He lost an empire, he lost his daughter, and he nearly lost his mind. Whatever his crimes… isn't that enough punishment for one lifetime?"

slime_golem
Jul 14, 2011

At this rate, the American dollar won't be worth the foreskins they're printed on.
I just started the Voyager finale two-parter. Shame Janeway didn't age this well IRL.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
hey odo directed this.

"you know in your heart he secretly admires you so you can kill him already" - hallucination damar. goddam you are hosed up dukat

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
"the bajorans were a stiff-necked people"- olde testament dukat

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
lmao I literally just watched that episode like an hour ago and lost my poo poo laughing along with Kira every time she showed up

Imagine getting dunked on THAT hard by your own lovely subconcious god drat

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Dukat: Now, Captain, I believe you invited me on your program because your audience wanted to hear about my new holonovel, correct? What if I were to tell you I had an exclusive sneak peek clip prepared for you?
Picard: That sounds excellent. Engage.
*Viewscreen shows clip of Mac and Me*

I can hear it in their voices perfectly.

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 16, 2019

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Danaru posted:

lmao I literally just watched that episode like an hour ago and lost my poo poo laughing along with Kira every time she showed up

Imagine getting dunked on THAT hard by your own lovely subconcious god drat

so i'm not crazy for thinking that sisko pushed dukat into "explicitly just murder all bajorans" mode right? like he was at least lying to himself that he had their interests at heart before this? is it "better" to wrap all your space racism up in layers of self delusion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Gildiss posted:

I can hear it in their voices perfectly.

Same. Dukat really would be an entertaining guest. He’d do that half smile and pretend to be self-effacing for most of the interview until Picard hit a nerve.