Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/YRXCL/status/1084487076211437568?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
LuPat's actually starting to get good. It's a shame this didn't happen 10-15 eps earlier.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm excited to see how this week's preview will once again be proven misleading and the cops still don't find out their identities.

(This week's episode really was very good.)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Didn’t the cops figure it out already, it’s just they don’t want to believe it?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm excited to see how this week's preview will once again be proven misleading and the cops still don't find out their identities.

(This week's episode really was very good.)

Well to be fair, there's only 4 episodes left now so I would assume everything will be brought out into the open before too long. As I understand it, LuPat will be 51 episodes in total and then they're doing some weird crossover thing for a few weeks before Ryusoulger starts.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 15, 2019

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Super Pat1 next week or riot.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Justin_Brett posted:

Super Pat1 next week or riot.

It isn't happening. If it were, it would've been shown in the preview. Plus, this episode once again reaffirmed that we're meant to ignore Siren Striker is a Trigger Machine since it's positioned above the VS Changer to be used, unlike the Trigger Machines which are positioned below. It should be noted that even in moments where a team uses the other team's stuff, the VS Vehicles are positioned correctly, Siren is the only exception because the series really, really, REALLY wants to ignore how it's blatantly meant to be the Patranger's super mode, up to having a really big, really obvious Patranger insignia in the head of any formation that uses it.

Also this episode was great and fully shows how well the series works when it allows itself to actually progress the plot and have characters interact with each other. Too bad we're 47 episodes in so I stopped caring long ago. Noel's sacrifice is the only moment that did absolutely nothing for me because I hate him, he's the proof of everything that went wrong with the series and his death could only be a good thing. "oh yeah btw I'm not human lol" what-loving-ever, it failed to get any emotional response other than "why did you even bother" the first time and I assure you, it got even less the second.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Cops suspected before, Kogure helped out to fake an alibi. This time they have far more conclusive evidence and so far Sakuya is the only one in obvious denial.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I finished OOO last night. Thanks for the recommendation; I really enjoyed it.
How did I not know that Amazons is on USA Prime with subtitles? Amazon's curating is worse than Netflix's, and that's saying something.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

GuyUpNorth posted:

Cops suspected before, Kogure helped out to fake an alibi. This time they have far more conclusive evidence and so far Sakuya is the only one in obvious denial.

The preview and title of the next episode make it sound like the Lupinranger's secret is going to finally be revealed to the Pats next week. Hopefully that actually turns out to be the case this time.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

How did I not know that Amazons is on USA Prime with subtitles? Amazon's curating is worse than Netflix's, and that's saying something.

If you really enjoyed OOO, I highly recommend Fourze and W, which are superb Rider shows that succeeded and preceded OOO respectively. Fourze is about the best bro Rider making best friends with his bros, other students, and enemies alike at his high school. It's a very clever kind of satire of Saved by the Bell style teen comedies, though does typical Rider stuff beyond that. W is a very stylish take on detective noir except much more slapstick and comedic with a super cool detective team who plays off each other so well.

Both series are technically part of the Foundation X meta-arc too, along with OOO, though it doesn't really go much of anywhere besides minor references.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Larryb posted:

The preview and title of the next episode make it sound like the Lupinranger's secret is going to finally be revealed to the Pats next week. Hopefully that actually turns out to be the case this time.

It would be nice but all I can think about is the episode where Tsukasa and Touma are sent to the Gangler world and the preview had Touma shooting the VS changer at some Pordermen while Tsukasa stared wide eyed and it's like wow no way can they get out of this identity reveal! And then they did.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

You'll still need to look to fansub groups for the Amazons movie, by the way.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

It would be nice but all I can think about is the episode where Tsukasa and Touma are sent to the Gangler world and the preview had Touma shooting the VS changer at some Pordermen while Tsukasa stared wide eyed and it's like wow no way can they get out of this identity reveal! And then they did.

True, but we're about 4 episodes from the end now and it'd be stupid to drag it out any further but we'll see (though then again this should have happened at least 10 episodes ago so who knows).

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

It really feels like they wrote the beginning of the show and then these last 4 episodes and then went "oh poo poo we need to put like 25 more episodes in this" and that's how we got here.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While LuPat isn't Ninninger-level bad it's still been kind of disappointing on some levels (such as how the Patrangers are clearly the best characters on the show but it's the Lupins that get the majority of the focus/toys). Also Kairi is not only a terrible leader who has no business being a Red Ranger but he's also kind of a lovely person as well. Meanwhile, Keichiro has quickly become one of my favorite Reds in the whole franchise.

But to be fair, the last few episodes have been decent so maybe we can get a good finale out of this at the very least.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

OOO'S is great, glad you enjoyed it. Listen to cough drop. While I can't comment on Fourze, it looks more fun than I gave it credit for. In addition W is awesome as well.
If you felt that OOO'S ending was good then you'll probably enjoy W as well.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
There are 2 big complaints about Fourze that you might want to know going in. I'll spoiler them just in case, but they're only generalities:

1. They set of a lot of plot lines for characters to grow and change, but never really pull through. The main cast is pretty much static over the course of the show, and that disappointed some people. Just don't expect too much.

2. The middle of the show is dominated by an arc with a super strong focus on a specific character, which frustrated some people as other characters didn't get much to do during that run. The character and overall balance improve a lot once the arc ends, so just keep that in mind.

Past that, it's a very flashy, fun, and cheerful show, with a strong ending. Definite recommend.

EDIT: W, on the other hand, is super consistently good throughout. (Except for episodes 7-8.) Also a great choice. The only major flaw I can think of is that it has an important storyline in the crossover movie with Decade, so if you want to see that, you might accidentally have to watch some Kamen Rider Decade.

Eponymous fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 15, 2019

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Fourze is a goddamn treat.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It really feels like they wrote the beginning of the show and then these last 4 episodes and then went "oh poo poo we need to put like 25 more episodes in this" and that's how we got here.

I feel like they came up with the idea, had a very nice idea to tie everything together and untie as a big climax teamwork/reveal, and came up with using the new year's flashback episode for the Pats to conclusively put everything together.

Then in practice, this 13 episode thing had to be spaced out for 51.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Speaking of recommending Kamen Rider content and OOO: do not watch the OOO part of the OOO crossover movies, they are very bad. The solo movie's neat, though.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Eponymous posted:

EDIT: W, on the other hand, is super consistently good throughout. (Except for episodes 7-8.)

How dare you besmirch the glory of Heavens Tornado.

Tunklord Supreme
Jun 4, 2011

dragon bong z

King of Solomon posted:

Speaking of recommending Kamen Rider content and OOO: do not watch the OOO part of the OOO crossover movies, they are very bad. The solo movie's neat, though.

this is only half right, the OOO half of Movie War Core sucks but Movie War Mega Max is completely excellent from start to finish

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Megamax is a crucial epilogue to OOO since it shows that after the events of the show Eiji spent the off-time learning how to actually fight.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Tunklord Supreme posted:

this is only half right, the OOO half of Movie War Core sucks but Movie War Mega Max is completely excellent from start to finish

Is that the one with the waterscooter fight? Because that movie is excellent except for that part. Which was boring in a movie made out of excellence.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It would be an awesome, wholly unnecessary bit of fan wanking if Kamen Rider Aqua was a future rider in Zi-O.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
If you watch fourze please go look up some of the translator blogs about cancer when you get to him.

That dude was great but also super hard to localize/translate

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Motto posted:

Megamax is a crucial epilogue to OOO since it shows that after the events of the show Eiji spent the off-time learning how to actually fight.

Which brings up what is probably OOO's biggest flaw, Eiji is probably the least competent main rider in the franchise in terms of fighting capability during the show proper, which leads to the problem that if a fight isn't special moves heavy it will be an absolute chore to watch(and they likely will be the latter cause OOO had some pretty bad budget issues)

Which is why I tend to suggest if someone were to watch OOO that after they watch the episode that Shauta form debuts in, they should just skip right to the last 3 or 4 episodes, pretty much everything that happens in the skipped over episodes that is of any actual importance will get recapped

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Motto posted:

Ok I’ll find that one for sure then

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...

Eponymous posted:

EDIT: W, on the other hand, is super consistently good throughout. (Except for episodes 7-8.) Also a great choice. The only major flaw I can think of is that it has an important storyline in the crossover movie with Decade, so if you want to see that, you might accidentally have to watch some Kamen Rider Decade.

I had a couple friends who started with Fourze and were finally convinced to go back and watch some earlier stuff due mostly to me never shutting up about how awesome W is. I will always have fond memories of them getting to the crossover movie and No Context Decade just breaking their brains.

Tunklord Supreme
Jun 4, 2011

dragon bong z

drrockso20 posted:

Which is why I tend to suggest if someone were to watch OOO that after they watch the episode that Shauta form debuts in, they should just skip right to the last 3 or 4 episodes, pretty much everything that happens in the skipped over episodes that is of any actual importance will get recapped

:wtc: definitely do not do this, a little bit of subpar fight choreography is not a good reason to skip literally half of an excellent show

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Cernunnos posted:

How dare you besmirch the glory of Heavens Tornado.

I will besmirch it any and every day because those two episodes are the single worst bits of Phillip in the entire show. They almost lose the entire loving thing because prettyboy won't stop obsessing over a stupid-rear end dance move that isn't even that impressive when we do get to see it.

drrockso20 posted:

Do not listen to this crazy person. The gold has gone to their brain.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
oh no, an autistic-coded character has a special interest!?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
He does it other times throughout the show but not nearly to that particular level of assholery to his partner or to the detriment of their ability to fight crime.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
I don't have that much of a problem with Phillip's obsession in that ep, it's a decent character bit, and in retrospect it shows a lot of growth when you look at him at the end of the series and see how far he develops. And there's a looot of other things to hate in the ep, I could talk about it for hours.

One, the dancing is all terrible. Two, that goddamn audio track. Three, everybody in the episode is an enormous idiot, to the point where Shotaro literally stops in the middle of two different finishing moves to catch a phone call.

But the actually, genuinely infuriating thing is the central arc between dancing boy and swim girl! It's such a terrible lesson! The male character gets rejected by his female friend, and starts violently lashing out in every conversation! He stalks her, fighting security guards and screaming for her to come talk to him in the middle of a crowded schoolyard! He sneaks into a girls locker room to confront her when she's changing after swimming! HE HIRES AN INTERNET HITMAN TO MURDER HER!

And at the end of the episode, not only is he forgiven, but everything is totally fine because everything she was doing was a backwards-rear end plot just to please and support him! The girl does get seriously injured as a result, but everything is totally fine afterwards! At some point in the writing process, a plot of "cyberbullying can have serious consequences" became "never stop chasing a girl telling you to stop, because she's definitely into you"! Fuuuck.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I have gone to bat for Heaven's Tornado a number of times, and I'm not being sarcastic when I say this, but Eponymous you have changed my mind. You're correct and I was missing the actual terribleness for what I had thought the issues were.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Heaven's Tornado is terrible.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Darth TNT posted:

DiEnd is gay? When did they confirm that? I miss a DiEnd. He was fun.

He had some serious sexual tension with Gokai Blue in the first Super Hero Wars.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
My mind is also changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Malachite_Dragon posted:

He does it other times throughout the show but not nearly to that particular level of assholery to his partner or to the detriment of their ability to fight crime.

Yeah Phillip doesn't let his interest in drinking vinegar make him let a dopant get away.