Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Robo factory is objectively the best first building, true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Talkie Toaster posted:

If Stellaris’ scripting language was even half as straightforward our lives would all be so much easier.

i'm honestly shocked that no one has ever made a language that compiles to paradox script but has support for (very limited) loops, functions, and also syntax that doesn't slowly make you want to die

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Start with what ever tells the story you want to tell. This is a free-form non-competitive sandbox game.

This is a bad post. You still need a good idea of how to make your sandbox creation function well, otherwise you'll just end up in a death spiral all the time. You can't just say "lol nothing matters just build whatever because ~*roleplaying*~" especially when people are actually asking for advice.

Also it is absolutely not free-form. There are still rules and limitations you need to abide by.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Start with what ever tells the story you want to tell. This is a free-form non-competitive sandbox game.

:same:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

prefect posted:

I always start with the Autochthon Monument or the Temple. Is that a bad idea? Second is alloys. Third is Consumer Industries.

The first thing you want to build is cloning vats if you have access to them. After that is robot building if you have access to them. After that you might as well build your gene clinic because you're going to be needing amenities.

Malick23 posted:

Don't build a gene clinic. It's not worth it. Someone else did the math earlier in the thread.

The math was "how long does it take to pay off dedicating 2 pops to 10% colony growth" and by that metric they aren't worth it. HOWEVER that analysis ignored the fact that you're going to need amenities from those 2 pops anyways, so the tradeoff that they should have analysed was 10% colony growth versus the other options (like trade value from clerks, unity from entertainers).

What galaxy shape are you using? I haven't had something like this with 2 or 4-arm spirals, so dunno if it is an artifact of shape. Also are you on a tiny galaxy?

That said, you aren't snaking with what looks like that tendril. Snaking would be you racing to that choke point without filling out clusters, at which point you'd have another -11 cohesion just from the tendril. Most likely you wouldn't have your starting area backfilled in either and that would be giving more penalties.

Honestly to really get the effect you're thinking of (and to be a more useful mechanic in general) you should have a maximum number of jumps from a planet or upgraded starbase that you can go before you start getting cohesion penalties. Also jump up cohesion penalties, have it impact the empire in more direct ways like crime or losing a certain amount of resource production through corruption penalties.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Aethernet posted:

I think "at most" is almost certainly not true. Regardless, did you play before 2.0? You may prefer warp to hyperlanes.

:psyduck:

First, "at most" is only slightly hyperbole. Maybe there's three? Regardless of if it is two or three the resulting map is not immersive.

Second, I've played before 2.0 but that is a non-sequitor; as is "warp to hyperlanes" as that has not been the state of the game since 2.0 and you clearly know this?

Third, I already have a solution which I explained to the OP, just bump up hyperlane density and there's more polities around you and the map is generally more free form. Why are you giving me advice I don't need?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fister Roboto posted:

This is a bad post. You still need a good idea of how to make your sandbox creation function well, otherwise you'll just end up in a death spiral all the time. You can't just say "lol nothing matters just build whatever because ~*roleplaying*~" especially when people are actually asking for advice.

Also it is absolutely not free-form. There are still rules and limitations you need to abide by.

Not rules and limitations that matter enough to care whether or not you build a Gene Clinic tho.

You can build zero Gene Clinics, zero Robot Factories, and then still crush the galaxy effortlessly so honestly yeah. Just roleplaying what you want is mostly fine.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I like building Gene Clinics because it means having a hospital for my pops because I don't want to neglect that kind of basic need.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Here's my current line of thinking for buildings. Corrections / suggestions welcome.

I generally try to fill all building slots before upgrading buildings to anything that requires a rare resource for upkeep, largely because rare resources are pretty rare early game. I should probably try a playthrough with earlier upgrading, though I find I often don't unlock the rare resource factory tech until late...

On Every Planet

(If Engineered Evolution Perk) Clone Vats (+33% growth)
Autochthon / Heritage Site Unity Building (usually try to fit this in on the 20 or 25 slot) (+6/+12 Unity, +6/+12 Society Research)
(if Spiritualist) Temple / Holotemple (+6/12+ Unity, +4/8 Society Research, +10/20 Amenities)
(if Robots) Robot Building (usually early)
(as needed, when amenities threaten to go red) Amenities Buildings:
- Holo-Theatres (+4 Unity, +20 Amenities)
- Gene Clinic (+10% Pop Growth Speed, +10 Amenities)
(If Aristocratic Elite) Noble Estates (+5 amenities, +5 stability(!))
(If Byzantine Bureaucracy) Bureaucratic Complex (+16 amenities, +6 Unity)

I'm as yet undecided how good the civic special buildings are. They take a building slot but provide some unique jobs. But are they worth a building slot, combined with the other benefits of the Civic? Haven't theorycrafted this out yet.

Along with the capital, I'm looking at 5-7 slots that are "fixed" that I will build on every planet (capital, unity, robot, holo, gene, clone vats, civic building).

If a planet has a feature that unlocks a special building (Gas Extraction, Mote Harvesting, Crystal Mines, Betharian Power Planet, Alien Zoo), I'll usually build it if I have the tech. If I get the tech later I might forget which planet had it ... I wish there were a better indication of this.

After that I specialize planets:

Food Planet

Requirements: Lots of farm districts. 6+ usually.

Buildings:
(Required) Food Processing Building
(Filler) Hydro-ponic Farms

One food planet can feed many.

Research Planet

Requirements: No particular requirements, usually defaults to my capital.

Buildings:
(Required) Research Institute
(Filler) Research Labs

One thing to watch out for is Research takes a lot of consumer goods, and pop growth takes consumer goods, and it's very easy to get caught in a consumer goods death spiral.

Mineral Planet

Requirements: Lots of mineral districts. 6+ usually.
Buildings:
Mineral Processing Plant (for some reason these always show up super late tech wise for me; I've seen numerous games where I these don't pop until after 2300)

Energy Planet

Requirements: Lots of energy districts. 6+ usually.
Buildings:
Energy Nexus

If a planet is rich in Minerals and Energy, I might do both.

Filler for Mineral/Energy Planets

Usually either:
- Alloy Factory (before Ecumenopolis) - try to pair with Ministry of Production
- Consumer Goods Factory (before Ecumenopolis) - try to pair with Ministry of Production
- Commercial District
- Rare Resource Production (I try to specialize these on a planet for production bonuses)

I'm not sure what to think about Commericial Districts. They give a lot of jobs, don't require any minerals or consumer goods to run themselves, and generate 5 energy and 2.5 cg for a fully staffed building, if you're running Consumer Benefits.

They're my default 'I have nothing else to build and I don't want to burn my mineral income' choice, since almost everything else either directly or indirectly (via consumer goods) drains mineral income.

Ecumenopolis

I should probably build enough Alloy Factories to get the Forge World bonus and make sure to put down a Ministry of Production. I usually go very Alloy heavy (all alloy districts) on my Ecumenopolis.

Buildings I'm not sure when to build
Precinct House -- Crime doesn't seem to be a problem; the decision usually is enough to mitigate any short term weirdness, but I don't see crime as a problem at all.

Resource Silos -- I don't think I've ever built this on a planet. Sometimes I'll toss this Starbase upgrade on a lonely Anchorage somewhere (particularly to get to 20k+ mineral cap to build an Ecumenopolis)

Luxury Residences -- Usually have more than enough city districts that I don't need these.

Stronghold -- If my planet is being invaded, something has gone horribly wrong. Thus I don't care about defensive troops. I haven't really needed the fleet cap from the Soldier jobs (+4 per Soldier, but only one Soldier for a Stronghold before upgrades that require rare resources).

Military Academy -- Usually my armies just waltz onto a planet that's had its defending armies already denuded thanks to bombardment, so I don't see it worth a building slot for some army experience and another lone soldier.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
While we're at it, here's my Starbase theorycrafting. Comments/suggestions welcome.

Shipyard

I generally only build one of these, usually at my capital. Even when I've built multiple "Reinforce Fleet" tends to just build from one anyway until I have internal Gateways down.

6x Shipyard
Fleet Academy
Deep Space Black Site (for the stability at my capital)
Titan Assembly Yards
-open slot- (usually just a Crew Quarters to save some energy, Colossus Assembly Yards if needed)

Chokeholds

This starbase is meant to hold a choke.

6x Gun Battery
Communications Jammer - To hold ships in place longer
Disruption Field Generator - To reduce enemy shields
Listening Post / Crew Quarters - If I want to see further or save on energy when defending.
Command Center - To fire faster if defending with a fleet

I played around with defense platforms but stopped bothering since it got annoying having to rebuild them if a station got attacked and lost some (they always seem to go first) or to upgrade them. I'd rather put the alloys into more ships. Thus I never build the Defense-Grid Supercomputer

Anchorages

The most common starbase. Usually try to put them by planets that aren't on chokes so I can run Deep Space Black Site.

6x Anchorage
Naval Logisitics Office
(if by a planet) Deep Space Black Site
(if near a front that doesn't have a listening post on the choke) Listening Post
(if not) Resource Silo
(if on a main path) Hyperlane Registrar

Trade Hub

I try to build one of these 6 jumps away from as much of my empire (and other trade hubs).

6x Trade Hub
Offworld Trading Co
Resource Silo
(if on a main path) Hyperlane Registrar
Crew Quarters

Upgrades I'm not sure when to build

Most of them seem very lackluster, especially given we're pretty tight on upgrade slots (just 4!)

e.g. Art College (+10 Unity), Black Hole Observatory (+10 Physics), Curator Think Tank (+5 Research), Hydroponics Bay (+3 Food), Nebula Refinery (+6 Minerals)

Most of those are not worth the alloys to build them.

Target Uplink Computer - +50% range, but fleets always fly to engage -- not sure when to build this

Hyperlane Registrar - Lets my ships move around my territory faster, and in theory I should build these on the most trafficked lanes (perhaps on Anchorages) but in practice I never seem to.

Listening Post -- Ideally I want this at the front, but all the slots are spoken for the Choke point. Maybe I'll put this on a station behind the choke.

Hangar Bay -- The trade protection isn't enough to matter in the end, so I have to go fight pirates when they spawn anyway. Rather have more Anchorages.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Do megacorps get some kind of innate buff to trade value generation, or more benefit from trade value, than a regular empire does? I swear, in all my games as a corp, I'm much more flush for cash in the early game than I am as a regular empire. The tooltip for corporate authority doesn't say anything though, so maybe it's just in my head?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Jazerus posted:

i'm honestly shocked that no one has ever made a language that compiles to paradox script but has support for (very limited) loops, functions, and also syntax that doesn't slowly make you want to die

I'm honestly confused that Paradox doesn't have an Event Maker, even as an in-house tool. They make all their events with a text editor, which explains all the copy/paste errors in the code.

Sometimes I want to try making an event but then I look at the spaghetti code and the brackets and decide to do something more productive.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
My usual tradition / ascension perk order:

1. Expansion
2. Supremacy
3. Prosperity
4. Adaptability / Harmony
5. Harmony / Domination
6. Domination / Diplomacy
7. Discovery

Discovery is such a lackluster tree outside of the early game that I find if I don't take it first (and I'm hard pressed to do so between Expansion and Supremacy) then I just put it off forever. Maybe it's because I play Tiny / Small maps and thus run out of things to discover pretty quickly. The researcher upkeep reduction and +10% research speed are nice finishers in late game. I do sometimes wish I had the extra tech pick earlier, but am not sure where to put it in my order.

Ascension Perks (some ordering may vary based on tech, particularly 2/3/4)

1. Executive Vigor -- 50% longer edicts. I love this pick since I like rolling edicts.
2. Imperial Prerogative -- +30 admin cap early goes a long way
3. Arcology Project -- ecumenopoli!
4. Engineered Evolution -- clone vats alone make this worth it; not sure if the Shroud patrons really compare to gene-editing in the end
5. Evolutionary Mastery
6. Galactic Wonders
7. Master Builders -- faster megastructures, but realistically the game is won by now
8. Defender of the Galaxy

Not sure where to fit in Technological Ascendancy. Played around with Mastery of Nature but found it pretty lackluster and not worth the perk.

alcaras fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 15, 2019

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Continuing my afternoon of theorycrafting, here are my usual fleet compositions. Suggestions / improvements welcome.

Corvette: [Swarm]
Interceptor with Autocannons
Afterburners

Destroyer: [Picket]
Artillery with L Plasma
Picket with 2x PD
Auxiliary Fire-Control

Cruiser: [Artillery]
Artillery with L Plasma
Artillery with L Plasma M Plasma
Artillery with M Plasma
Auxiliary Fire-Control

Battleship: [Artillery]
Artillery with 2x L Kinetic Artillery
Artillery with 3x L Kinetic Artillery
Artillery with 1x L Kinetic Artillery
Auxiliary Fire-Control

Usual ratio is 10 Corvettes :: 5 Destroyers :: 3 Cruisers :: 1 Battleship

Titans generally run Kinetic Artillery. [Artillery]
Utility slot wise I outfit titans in this order:
1. Subspace Spare
2. Shield Dampener
3. Quantum Destabilizer
4. Inspiring Presence
5. Targeting Grid
6. Nanobot Cloud

Not sure if that order is best.

alcaras fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 15, 2019

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have a weird way to decide fleet compositions.

After battles instead of rebuilding ship classes that took heavy losses, I lower their proportion in the fleet and bump up the classes of ships that didn't take any losses. It seems to work pretty well actually and got me to totally abandon corvettes and drift almost entirely towards a majority of battleships with some medium-gun cruisers for handling small targets and destroyers for PD.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Vengarr posted:

I'm honestly confused that Paradox doesn't have an Event Maker, even as an in-house tool. They make all their events with a text editor, which explains all the copy/paste errors in the code.

Sometimes I want to try making an event but then I look at the spaghetti code and the brackets and decide to do something more productive.
It would take more time and build and maintain that tool than it would save for Paradox themselves. Maybe it would benefit modders, but a small minority of people ever use gameplay mods, let alone develop them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

alcaras posted:

Exploration
The virus is spreading :v:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

In my current game I have supplanted all traditional food production with a large crop of tasty nerve stapled tasty meatbeasts that I've shoved into everywhere that has the housing to support them. They are .25 housing apiece and I am pretty much conquering people, gene modding them, and then shipping them to wherever I've got room to hold them and abandoning their system. Broad swathes of territory have been stripped of people and then their starbases dismantled. The unfortunate teeming masses in my ecumenopolis' undercity now produces over 1000 food along with all of the alloys for my entire empire.

This expansion is so cool and it really is a shame that I pretty much have to abandon games as won by 2350 since the AI is totally broken down by then and the game slows to a crawl :(

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The virus is spreading :v:

lol, oops; edited in the OP, but your quote captures it for eternity

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Sindai posted:

It would take more time and build and maintain that tool than it would save for Paradox themselves. Maybe it would benefit modders, but a small minority of people ever use gameplay mods, let alone develop them.

The way companies don't invest in tools to make their own content creation easier and more enjoyable, acting like "eating poo poo in code is just what we pay you for" is maybe the #1 thing that has always baffled me

Like for decades pretty much when any game retrospective comes out the devs talk about how the tools were bullshit and the scripting was bullshit and everything took 10x longer than it should due to it

but everyone shrugs and makes the next game the exact same way and then statements like this just handwave the very premise of improving the process in any way, it's just not worth the return on investment (does no work to check whether it is or isn't)

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

The Bramble posted:

Do megacorps get some kind of innate buff to trade value generation, or more benefit from trade value, than a regular empire does? I swear, in all my games as a corp, I'm much more flush for cash in the early game than I am as a regular empire. The tooltip for corporate authority doesn't say anything though, so maybe it's just in my head?

Kind of. They get several different jobs that result in more trade value. For example, in your default noble slots you get 2 executives (2 unity, 5 amenities, 4 trade value each) instead of 2 administrators (3 unity, 8 amenities each) and for your culture building you get 2 managers (3 unity, 2 society, 2 trade value each) instead of 2 culture workers (3 unity, 3 society each).

alcaras posted:

Here's my current line of thinking for buildings. Corrections / suggestions welcome.

I generally try to fill all building slots before upgrading buildings to anything that requires a rare resource for upkeep, largely because rare resources are pretty rare early game. I should probably try a playthrough with earlier upgrading, though I find I often don't unlock the rare resource factory tech until late...

On Every Planet
Food Planet
Research Planet
Mineral Planet
Energy Planet
Filler for Mineral/Energy Planets
Ecumenopolis

I should probably build enough Alloy Factories to get the Forge World bonus and make sure to put down a Ministry of Production. I usually go very Alloy heavy (all alloy districts) on my Ecumenopolis.

Buildings I'm not sure when to build
Precinct House -- Crime doesn't seem to be a problem; the decision usually is enough to mitigate any short term weirdness, but I don't see crime as a problem at all.

Resource Silos -- I don't think I've ever built this on a planet. Sometimes I'll toss this Starbase upgrade on a lonely Anchorage somewhere (particularly to get to 20k+ mineral cap to build an Ecumenopolis)

Luxury Residences -- Usually have more than enough city districts that I don't need these.

Stronghold -- If my planet is being invaded, something has gone horribly wrong. Thus I don't care about defensive troops. I haven't really needed the fleet cap from the Soldier jobs (+4 per Soldier, but only one Soldier for a Stronghold before upgrades that require rare resources).

Military Academy -- Usually my armies just waltz onto a planet that's had its defending armies already denuded thanks to bombardment, so I don't see it worth a building slot for some army experience and another lone soldier.

Every planet is pretty much accurate for how I do things, but sometimes the order will change depending on the state of things.

Food planets I'll only build hydro farms if I am flush on building slots and low on districts. I'd rather turn a planet into a rural/fringe world (2.5% bonus) and have a bunch of every district and not-poo poo buildings than hydro farms.

Research planet I'll almost never default to my home world. Early on if I find myself in a situation where I'm building multiple of a building it is more likely to be labs than alloy factories so I'd rather stick my couple extra forges on my homeworld (bonus to stability is around a 2-2.5% output increase) and instead leverage a planet with crappy resource districts into an early tech world.

I avoid alloy factories on raw resource worlds if I can avoid it. I'd rather dedicate 1 planet to that if I want more alloys than I can leverage out of my homeworld. Consumer goods is alright, though again you'll eventually want a dedicated planet. If you have the planets to properly specialize I'd rather stick down extra entertainers or clerks to raise stability or generate trade value.

Alternatively, this is a great spot to throw stronghold (6 naval cap each after super early tech, modified by any % increases so after supremacy 7.2 each). The upgrade to stronghold not only gives more cap and defense armies, but adds an ftl inhibitor to the planet making a great choke during a war.

Military academy is definitely more a multi-player or 'useful in the future' type building. The AI doesn't take steps to make stumbling blocks, but a player might gene mod a very strong, resiliant race and make them battle thralls and jam 10 soldiers onto a planet (30 defense armies with +110% dmg on top of various defense army damage bonuses floating around). A player might take habs and build like 3 of these in a chokepoint system and take your entire empire while you try to break through 1 system.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Three comments:

One, always always open Supremacy. The potential upside from conquering a civ and taking their pops is so high early game that it's always worth it. And you need the military anyway. Even pacifists can get large benefits with nihilistic acquisition, so there is no excuse.

Two, soldier jobs provide +6 naval cap with tech, and fortresses are a great way to utilize volatile motes once you have an city world. The cost of a full anchorage is way higher than two fortresses, even though they provide the same amount of naval cap.

Three, I really like using livestock for food instead farmers. Livestock don't require districts or buildings, but will unlock building slots for you. They also have very low amenities and housing requirement.

scaterry fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 15, 2019

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

alcaras posted:

My usual tradition / ascension perk order:

1. Expansion
2. Supremacy
3. Prosperity
4. Adaptability / Harmony
5. Harmony / Domination
6. Domination / Diplomacy
7. Discovery

Discovery is such a lackluster tree outside of the early game that I find if I don't take it first (and I'm hard pressed to do so between Expansion and Supremacy) then I just put it off forever. Maybe it's because I play Tiny / Small maps and thus run out of things to discover pretty quickly. The researcher upkeep reduction and +10% research speed are nice finishers in late game. I do sometimes wish I had the extra tech pick earlier, but am not sure where to put it in my order.

Ascension Perks (some ordering may vary based on tech, particularly 2/3/4)

1. Executive Vigor -- 50% longer edicts. I love this pick since I like rolling edicts.
2. Imperial Prerogative -- +30 admin cap early goes a long way
3. Arcology Project -- ecumenopoli!
4. Engineered Evolution -- clone vats alone make this worth it; not sure if the Shroud patrons really compare to gene-editing in the end
5. Evolutionary Mastery
6. Galactic Wonders
7. Master Builders -- faster megastructures, but realistically the game is won by now
8. Defender of the Galaxy

Not sure where to fit in Technological Ascendancy. Played around with Mastery of Nature but found it pretty lackluster and not worth the perk.

I'm not a fan of imperial prerogative, but I definitely had enough of that conversation the last time it came up in the thread. The upkeep reduction on researchers isn't good at all, it may in fact be the worst option in the already terrible discovery tree. I often take masters of nature while recognizing it isn't good, I just like forcing more districts onto planets sometimes.

Shroud patronwise I feel like the instrument of desire is a long way better than the other main 3 (I'll just ignore end of the cycle here). The penalties are easier to deal with and the bonus better. +pop resource output is a strong modifier in a multi tiered resource economy, this is one of the few elusive +alloy production sources. Psi-ascension gets good leaders and it is fast to implement. It doesn't have the flexibility of bio ascension or the raw +resource bonus and pop growth of synth ascension. If you factor in all the disparate bonuses, such as stability, you probably beat bio ascension for +resources.

quote:

Continuing my afternoon of theorycrafting, here are my usual fleet compositions. Suggestions / improvements welcome.

Corvette: [Swarm]
Interceptor with Autocannons
Afterburners

Destroyer: [Picket]
Artillery with L Plasma
Picket with 2x PD
Auxiliary Fire-Control

Cruiser: [Artillery]
Artillery with L Plasma
Artillery with L Plasma M Plasma
Artillery with M Plasma
Auxiliary Fire-Control

Battleship: [Artillery]
Artillery with 2x L Kinetic Artillery
Artillery with 3x L Kinetic Artillery
Artillery with 1x L Kinetic Artillery
Auxiliary Fire-Control

Usual ratio is 10 Corvettes :: 5 Destroyers :: 3 Cruisers :: 1 Battleship

Titans generally run Kinetic Artillery. [Artillery]
Utility slot wise I outfit titans in this order:
1. Subspace Spare
2. Shield Dampener
3. Quantum Destabilizer
4. Inspiring Presence
5. Targeting Grid
6. Nanobot Cloud

Not sure if that order is best.

I'll be honest here and say that I've gotten very lazy and trend to one design late game against anything that isn't the contingency/unbidden: 1 tachyon lance 4 neutron launcher battleships. I used to use the giga cannon instead of the lance for damage type synergy against shields, but realized I always had so much more physics research that against even fallen empires it was better to use a pure energy design. Energy also lets you swap to arc emitters if you end up against a crisis with ludicrous shields.

Destroyers are just bad, every time I've used them I regretted doing so. Corvettes are a good way to win battles and lose wars both in terms of war exhaustion and alloys, still good for speed alone and better than destroyers. Cruisers are like bad battleships, they have a use when they first come out but drop off fast once battleships become viable.

As for planet buildings, always robot assembly first. Anyone who tells you to build a gene clinic over this really hasn't done the math. The gene clinic is terrible, if I build it I find I will need an extra building for amenties anyways so it isn't just clogging up pop jobs, it is also clogging up a building slot. The robot assembly does require a pop to work it, but is twice the pop growth of the cloning vats. My second building is usually a holo-theater. The third varies, but since early planets are often rural it will be either the mineral or energy job enhancer.

Edit: Habitats have a bad reputation in 2.2 for a good reason, but If you are willing to miss out of the +5% specialization bonus I find they are actually really good for alloys/consumers goods. This is obviously situational, but can let you make up on a small efficiency loss for a possible massive scale increase.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 15, 2019

Vicar
Oct 20, 2007

Huh, I had no idea soldier jobs gave that much naval cap (4 without supremacy and 6 with). I think I just assumed fortresses still just added defense armies like pre 2.2. 12 naval cap per fortress with supremacy seems really good

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Vicar posted:

Huh, I had no idea soldier jobs gave that much naval cap (4 without supremacy and 6 with). I think I just assumed fortresses still just added defense armies like pre 2.2. 12 naval cap per fortress with supremacy seems really good

Soldier jobs give 4 cap. There is a tier 1 green tech that gives +2 to that. Anchorages give 4 cap, and have a tech that gives a building that makes them +6. Supremacy adds +20% to both options.

One of the biggest advantages, especially early to mid game, is that you're not spending alloys on getting cap. 2 anchorages + upgraded anchorages is 150 alloys on top of the 200 for the base. 2 soldier jobs is basically just 2 building slots (costs flat minerals).

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but habitats have a +200% bonus to colonization speed! It means that if you have colonization fever, colonizing it and resettling pops over and over is equivalent to 13.33 pop growth per month.

Secretly, habitats were the best growth ascension perk!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I find they arn't really worth it as the first thing built on the world. Then, usually, not worth it as the second or third or fourth. The other choices are just better. I am typically starved for building slots early game and putting off an alloy plant or robot factory is too much of a tradeoff.
Yeah, even if they're good (I'm not convinced, I've been doing some math and it's not looking good) they're not a first or second building thing. You get more than enough amenities from your colony structure, and if you're still in the growth penalty stage that also applies to the +10% (since it halves the base rather than being a -50% additive malus that means +10% growth is +10% of 1.5. This means that encourage growth is way more useful on a post-colony than a colony. It's real stupid. Use distribute luxuries on your first colony for Mad Gains though). Once my net amenities get near 0 it's a probable buy, unless it's real late in the game and I'm swimming in unemployed pops.

e: by not convinced I mean I was very convinced until about three hours ago when I started typing up a post to prove they were good and the numbers came out all... not great.

ZypherIM posted:

The first thing you want to build is cloning vats if you have access to them. After that is robot building if you have access to them. After that you might as well build your gene clinic because you're going to be needing amenities.
I build robots first. The cloning vat bonus is also not additive with the colony modifier, so it's only +.5 growth per turn. The robot factory is a full +2 growth. Since my main goal is to get to 10 pops ASAP going robots first will get me +1 pop over 4ish years, saving me a full pop growth cycle, while cloning vats will only shave off a few months. If I'm resettling pops then it's moot since I'd be dropping both practically simultaneously, though I'll still always drop the robot factory first to reduce the post-resettlement unemployment.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 15, 2019

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It always weirded me out that my fanatic egalitarian democracy had the option to build "Deep Space Black Sites"

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

:psyduck:

First, "at most" is only slightly hyperbole. Maybe there's three? Regardless of if it is two or three the resulting map is not immersive.

Second, I've played before 2.0 but that is a non-sequitor; as is "warp to hyperlanes" as that has not been the state of the game since 2.0 and you clearly know this?

Third, I already have a solution which I explained to the OP, just bump up hyperlane density and there's more polities around you and the map is generally more free form. Why are you giving me advice I don't need?

Because you appeared to be objecting to the major design feature of 2.0, which involved the creation of space geography through limitations on hyperlanes and thus more interesting warfars. Given that you don't appear to like this, I - genuinely - thought you might prefer to try 1.9. But feel to be weirdly abrasive instead.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Gort posted:

It always weirded me out that my fanatic egalitarian democracy had the option to build "Deep Space Black Sites"

I always imagine these as that scene from Clockwork Orange except they're playing Barney and Teletubbies all day.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Smiling Demon posted:

I'll be honest here and say that I've gotten very lazy and trend to one design late game against anything that isn't the contingency/unbidden: 1 tachyon lance 4 neutron launcher battleships. I used to use the giga cannon instead of the lance for damage type synergy against shields, but realized I always had so much more physics research that against even fallen empires it was better to use a pure energy design. Energy also lets you swap to arc emitters if you end up against a crisis with ludicrous shields.

Destroyers are just bad, every time I've used them I regretted doing so. Corvettes are a good way to win battles and lose wars both in terms of war exhaustion and alloys, still good for speed alone and better than destroyers. Cruisers are like bad battleships, they have a use when they first come out but drop off fast once battleships become viable.

Thanks; what do your end-game fleets look like? Just Battleships?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

scaterry posted:

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but habitats have a +200% bonus to colonization speed! It means that if you have colonization fever, colonizing it and resettling pops over and over is equivalent to 13.33 pop growth per month.

Secretly, habitats were the best growth ascension perk!

Hah, I was just wondering if that was true. They really need to sort that poo poo out.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
re: resettling, is it normal to have to babysit pops in the lategame and move them laboriously from overcrowded, jobless planets to new colonies?

shouldn't they move themselves? >.>

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

alcaras posted:

Thanks; what do your end-game fleets look like? Just Battleships?

I'll often stick a titan in with the tracking aura, not sure its a great idea but it works alright usually - I've had the titan die (and no battleships...) so I've come to put max shields/shield capacitors on it to make it tankier. There is something weird about target selection with mixed ship types, If I put a few PD destroyers in my battleship fleet the AI will target them almost exclusively, so I don't do that anymore. This phenomenon is why I don't like mixing ship types within a fleet, I stick a titan in with the battleships and even then reluctantly.

My main fleet is battleships. Afterburner corvettes for fast reaction duties. I may have a cruiser fleet from mid game that I haven't gotten around to disbanding. Obviously this wouldn't work so well in multiplayer as you would end up destroyed by torpedo corvettes, so experiences will vary.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

alcaras posted:

re: resettling, is it normal to have to babysit pops in the lategame and move them laboriously from overcrowded, jobless planets to new colonies?

shouldn't they move themselves? >.>

The automatic resettling mod, since I've gotten it working, is in my opinion mandatory.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Smiling Demon posted:

Destroyers are hands down superior to corvettes the very second you get them in the early game for two reasons.
code:
Type      CP  Base Cost  Base Hull  Base EV  Base Speed  Disengage Chance
Corvette  1   30         300        60%      170         1
Destroyer 2   60         800        35%      140         1.5
1) Disengage chance is markedly better with destroyers. It's tied with cruisers for best disengage chance but with good section loadouts vs the cruiser's mediocre ones. The hull base increase vs EV base loss mostly evens out to comparable effective HP per CP when you account for evade and such, but when you combine the hull with the higher disengage chance and stack on hit and run it's a big difference. This is hugely important for keeping attrition down, something which is Very Bad early on when alloys are in the shortest supply. With a trickster + hit and run you barely suffer losses at all when attacking with a set of destroyers w/ max hull until much later in the game when larger weapons become more prominent (at which point you are using marauder admirals probably anyways unless you have immortal admirals that you've been cultivating since game start).

2) More offensive power per CP. You get a better combat computer to increase tracking. Slap a laser in the medium slot and fill smalls with whatever and you will get more hits and more dps on average.

Smiling Demon posted:

Edit: Habitats have a bad reputation in 2.2 for a good reason, but If you are willing to miss out of the +5% specialization bonus I find they are actually really good for alloys/consumers goods. This is obviously situational, but can let you make up on a small efficiency loss for a possible massive scale increase.

Habitats just seem bad because Ecumenopolis exist and are really good while not costing alloys to make. Requires planning and forethought instead is all. How good they feel correlates directly with your habitable planet slider position.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 15, 2019

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Destroyers are hands down superior to corvettes the very second you get them in the early game for two reasons.
code:
1) Disengage chance is markedly better with destroyers. It's tied with cruisers for best disengage chance but with good section loadouts vs the cruiser's mediocre ones. The hull base increase vs EV base loss mostly evens out to comparable effective HP per CP when you account for evade and such, but when you combine the hull with the higher disengage chance and stack on hit and run it's a big difference. This is hugely important for keeping attrition down, something which is Very Bad early on when alloys are in the shortest supply. With a trickster + hit and run you barely suffer losses at all when attacking with a set of destroyers w/ max hull until much later in the game when larger weapons become more prominent (at which point you are using marauder admirals probably anyways unless you have immortal admirals that you've been cultivating since game start).

2) More offensive power per CP. You get a better combat computer to increase tracking. Slap a laser in the medium slot and fill smalls with whatever and you will get more hits and more dps on average.

Corvettes and cruisers get the same computer so that isn't an advantage at all. Destroyers may disengage well, but they are in practice not survivable. The S sized defenses are just bad and destroyers don't have the high evasion to compensate like corvettes. Edit: I would contend that the hull increase vs EV loss does not even out at all and comes significantly in the corvettes favour given how tracking works.

On paper destroyers look like they should work. Every time I've tried what you describe it has been a disaster I've regretted. Instead I've embraced no retreat over hit and run :black101:.

For cruiser sections I have 2 designs I use. Either all medium with a mix of anti shield and armour (ex: 2 null void 4 plasma, 3 rail 3 laser, etc) or all small/missle hardpoints (small should always be autocannons). These have worked much better for me than destroyers.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 15, 2019

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Smiling Demon posted:

Corvettes and cruisers get the same computer so that isn't an advantage at all. Destroyers may disengage well, but they are in practice not survivable. The S sized defenses are just bad and destroyers don't have the high evasion to compensate like corvettes.

On paper destroyers look like they should work. Every time I've tried what you describe it has been a disaster I've regretted. Instead I've embraced no retreat over hit and run :black101:.

For cruiser sections I have 2 designs I use. Either all medium with a mix of anti shield and armour (ex: 2 null void 4 plasma, 3 rail 3 laser, etc) or all small/missle hardpoints (small should always be autocannons). These have worked much better for me than destroyers.

What difficulty are you playing on because you are dead as gently caress to attrition on grand admiral w/ no retreat and would likely suffer on admiral unless you are running a purifier or fan militarist + distinguished admiralty. AI has functionally infinite alloys and will happily throw poo poo at you forever at superior fleet strength and you need to be able to win or fight delaying actions on starbases without significant real losses.

You can math it out and play it out. Alloys outlay to attrition goes down significantly once you get destroyers. Later in the game they are relegated to a handful for anti-missile if you even care to do that and you want ablative corvettes to dodge L slot shots since you either want to evade like a corvette or obliterate at range like a battleship/titan. Early game is the time of the destroyer.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Nuclearmonkee posted:

code:

Want to point out that you should easily have the early tech to increase corvette base hull by 100, while it'll be a while before you get the destroyer increase. Medium weapons do have nicer damage rates, but you will be missing more and I'm a bit too lazy to math it out (just eyeballing you take a 20% accuracy hit and a 25% evasion hit for 5.38 average dps compared to 4.3 average dps).

The higher disengage is definitely nice, but by the time you get destroyers you should have had the chance for a couple corvette techs that leave them ahead until you get the same for destroyers later down the line. Eventually corvettes get relegated to pirate/fast response/fast system taking duty for me, but that is definitely not the case right when you get destroyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Nuclearmonkee posted:

What difficulty are you playing on because you are dead as gently caress to attrition on grand admiral w/ no retreat and would likely suffer on admiral unless you are running a purifier or fan militarist + distinguished admiralty. AI has functionally infinite alloys and will happily throw poo poo at you forever at superior fleet strength and you need to be able to win or fight delaying actions on starbases without significant real losses.

You can math it out and play it out. Alloys outlay to attrition goes down significantly once you get destroyers. Later in the game they are relegated to a handful for anti-missile if you even care to do that and you want ablative corvettes to dodge L slot shots since you either want to evade like a corvette or obliterate at range like a battleship/titan. Early game is the time of the destroyer.

I usually stick to commodore/aggressive AI(Edit: usually with the glavius AI mod these days). The difficulty feels a little too asymmetric/artificial on the highest difficulties to me, also just stupid if you end up having two fanatic purifiers as neighbours.

My experience in this environment does not match yours. I'm not sure what to say, but my experience is that destroyers are fragile things that never live up to their offensive potential. Their evasion is low enough that it is usually almost completely negated by tracking, particularly given the weapons around during that phase of the game. The extra hull doesn't compensate nearly enough. There aren't any good sections for destroyers, I'd actually rate them as worse than the cruiser sections. You either use L sized weapons before their intended targets are common or mix M and S size. Corvettes and cruisers at least have missile options.

Maybe I'll try again and stack all the bonuses? I rarely have capped out supremacy by the time I'm moving into cruisers though, which makes it tough competition. Disengaging helps with attrition, but isn't much use if you lose all the fights.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 16, 2019