Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Monaghan posted:

Nuclear also is granted completely immunity from any liability claim due to the Price-Anderson Act so please stop with this bullshit narrative that it's them pesky regulations that's killing nuclear.

uh that doesn't get the plant built any faster, and that's basically just a government imposed no-fault insurance plan. it does not change that a nuclear power plant has extensive regulatory compliance issues which, again, since we haven't been building a lot of them there's not a good off-the-shelf design that gets you cleanly through them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Brony Car posted:

Isn't the problem with nuclear the fact that finding a place where people are comfortable with having it is incredibly hard? And that's not even getting started on who wants to be near a nuclear waste site.

Also, the cost of building a plant to all the modern safety specifications and running it competently is high enough that capitalists with short term mentalities (i.e., almost every one of them) start balking.

A summary of sorts. I'm sure there are better articles out there: http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2018/ph241/kuet2/

Anyway, I think nuclear energy is the kind of thing you have to ram down people's throats and even in the US, that's not easy.

The base problem with any sort of nuclear energy production is the facility itself is literally one of the hardest structures in existence to build. Whether you're talking about quality of materials needed, the rarity of said materials and even the skill level needed for your bog standard laborer on the project...you need everything to be perfect and the best. You got several hundred tons of inconel you're not doing anything with? Multiply that by 5.

The math in that just doesn't work. This is even WITH the government essentially saying to anyone that has the notion to build one: "We will literally be your insurer of last resort should anything go wrong."

Think about that. The government is willing to take the potentially catastrophic costs associated with a meltdown of a nuclear power facility and no company in existence is willing to come forward and build new ones.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

Me: Neither candidate made a good case for being the BLM candidate and both were disappointments on that issue.
You: Bernie's failings here were manufactured by Hillary.
Me: No, he was actually bad on this issue.
You: So you're saying Hillary was better?!

I'm not sure how "born of resentment that he ran against Hillary" turns into "Bernie's failings here were manufactured by Hillary." but ok. I did watch the coverage of Bernie go from "Why Bernie Sanders Is Blacker Than You" to "Shut Up, Bernie Sanders". This change in coverage did seem to correspond with the announcement that Hillary got Obama's endorsement. I have a hard time feeling these things are completely independent of one another. Either way at least AOC is here. And Rashida Tlaib, that's another congress person I want to watch.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 15, 2019

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

evilweasel posted:

uh that doesn't get the plant built any faster, and that's basically just a government imposed no-fault insurance plan. it does not change that a nuclear power plant has extensive regulatory compliance issues which, again, since we haven't been building a lot of them there's not a good off-the-shelf design that gets you cleanly through them

I've never had it detailed what regulations are supposedly killing nuclear. It's happening worldwide as well, so it can be localised to one country.

As previously mentioned solar and wind just scale up faster. Build those like crazy, build nuclear, though it takes longer to cover anything that solar and wind doesn't in the meantime.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Gort posted:

Putin's main opposition are the EU and the USA.

Brexit fucks the EU, Trump fucks the USA. Putin benefits.

I honestly don't see how MI6 and the CIA/NSA don't have a joint plan in the works to kill Vladimir Putin at this point

He has to be Public Enemy #1 to most of the establishment

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

gently caress yes

https://twitter.com/GovLauraKelly/status/1085229733942644737

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Eeyo posted:

Just as a foreword, I'm not attempting to endorse or anti-endorse the idea of a carbon tax here (or any kind of pricing on carbon emissions), I just think we need to consider how policies affect citizens and plan accordingly.

One of the problems you can run into with a carbon tax is that it's inherently regressive, in as much as most consumption in the US requires carbon emissions. If you're poor you will spend most of your money on a few small categories: food (agriculture is a large carbon source), electricity/heating, and personal transportation. That plus rent, but its not directly a carbon source like the others are. A tax on the greenhouse gas content of these categories will increase the prices of those parts of the budget, so it will cost poor folks proportionally more than rich folks.

Yea I agree that is an issue. But this is why most prominent carbon taxes are a fee and dividend system where the money that is collected from the tax goes back to the taxpayers, with a higher amount going to those less off, to make it more progressive.

(Though technically the tax money isn't "used" to pay back the tax payers, since that's not how federal spending works)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Devor posted:

If the government is violating your constitutional rights, but it's in the public interest that the government continue violating your constitutional rights, you don't have a remedy via a Preliminary Injunction

I wonder what would happen if the ATCs all just stayed home, and fought the legal battle to get their jobs back afterwards

We may be about to find out

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Monaghan posted:

Nuclear also is granted completely immunity from any liability claim due to the Price-Anderson Act so please stop with this bullshit narrative that it's them pesky regulations that's killing nuclear.

Are you talking about this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price%E2%80%93Anderson_Nuclear_Industries_Indemnity_Act

If so, you don't get immunity from liability. The closest thing it looks like the act does on that front is limiting punitive damages and helping steer lawsuits to potentially "friendlier" federal courts.

The main structure that act puts together is a no-fault liability insurance set-up to help utilities when they get sued for claims arising from nuclear energy operations. Plant owners and operators can still get sued.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

TulliusCicero posted:

I honestly don't see how MI6 and the CIA/NSA don't have a joint plan in the works to kill Vladimir Putin at this point

They like the racism, and their bosses are too compromised by Putin to wish harm on him

Kale
May 14, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Cameron’s completely needless decision to hold a referendum on this in the first place will go down in history as one of the biggest political fuckups in all history. More so than even Trump being elected.

2016 is basically the worst year ever for global politics that i can recall in my lifetime. I can never recall all hope for the future and faith in humanity evaporating so fast in any given year. 2018 helped heal some of the wounds a bit towards the end but 2016-2017 I was feeling pretty despondent.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I forgot the Barr hearing was today

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1085257011426672641?s=21

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

TulliusCicero posted:

What even was Farage and the lunatic UK Right's goal in Brexit? Make the UK a world power again by crippling it economically and severing every major alliance?

What was the real goal? What rich fuckers benefited from this?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Just a quick reminder that one reason that Corsi and Stone have been such prominent "next targets" of the investigation is both of them have repeatedly talked to the media about the case. Whether they are the next link in the investigation, or just one more piece of corroborating evidence, is something that we don't really know from outside. I think that Mueller also doesn't want just documentary evidence enough to indict Stone and Corsi, which I am guessing he already has. He wants the type of evidence where they will look at it sign a plea deal that day.

I do think, that if Mueller is working with 15 or more federal prosecutors, they have not spent the last 12 months trying to ascertain whether Jerome Corsi deleted some e-Mails. From what we can tell, the investigation is still going on in multiple fronts, most of the "leaks" about Stone and Corsi are just two old grifters trying to work the media.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Who are the suckers who are gonna show up?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's kindof amazing just how much world policy is completely divorced from reality

like, statistically speaking, immigration is a less important issue than backyard pool safety

This is so very true, and it's something I can never get over. In my halcyon younger days I had no loving idea why people were so concerned about immigration. Now I'm much older and wiser, and I still have no loving idea why people are so concerned about immigration. It's such a non-issue that's been (ahem) trumped up into something, and I'm just stunned at how easy the masses are to brainwash with scare tactics.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Doctor Butts posted:

Who are the suckers who are gonna show up?

I seem to have contracted flu through lack of money

Though I guess I might come to work to use the toilets and keep the rain off after I've been evicted for not paying my rent

Maybe I can live on leftovers people left in the fridge from lunches three weeks ago for a bit, or live on sugary coffee

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

A couple years back The Pod Save America people had Julia Ioffe on and she put it perfectly: "The big problem is what comes after Putin." You have a country who's civics have essentially been gutted by his regime with all sorts of high positions filled with cronies...and that's before you get to the defacto mob warlords that jockey for position over there. What comes after him? What are you left with?

A nuclear power with no real leadership for the people. That's what.

intelligence agencies aren't going to pull the trigger on that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Well he is a drug warrior rear end in a top hat. So I am not surprised.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

What even was Farage and the lunatic UK Right's goal in Brexit? Make the UK a world power again by crippling it economically and severing every major alliance?

Not "make the UK a world power again" so much as "the UK is a world superpower right now and we loving demand to be treated as such! RULE BRITANNIA!" I think.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Is it dumb that part of me actually wants to go to Kansas and help this renewal along, doing my part as a good coastal liberal, willing to transform the heartland? Bet the COL is hella cheap there too.

EDIT

Just makes me happy seeing poo poo like this. Plus, they're further along at clawing their government back from the abyss than Texas, my other "possible other state" is.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 15, 2019

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

VH4Ever posted:

Is it dumb that part of me actually wants to go to Kansas and help this renewal along, doing my part as a good coastal liberal, willing to transform the heartland? Bet the COL is hella cheap there too.

I remember reading very serious thinkpieces about this after the 2016 election

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Think about that. The government is willing to take the potentially catastrophic costs associated with a meltdown of a nuclear power facility and no company in existence is willing to come forward and build new ones.

georgia has been building two new nuclear reactors since 2009 or so

the projects are at least five years late and despite eight billion dollars in loan guarantees, the original contractor (westinghouse electric) went bankrupt and the utility company had to put out a new bid for a new contractor

quote:

In March 2017, Westinghouse Electric Company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy due to $9 billion of losses from its two U.S. nuclear construction projects. The U.S. government has given $8.3 billion of loan guarantees to help finance construction of the Vogtle reactors, and a way forward to completing the plant has been agreed upon. On July 31, 2017 Southern Company division, Southern Nuclear, officially took over construction from Westinghouse and opened a bid for a new construction management contract to manage the day-to-day work on the site. Southern received bids from both Fluor and Bechtel. On August 31, 2017, Southern announced its decision to move forward with Bechtel to be the day-to-day construction manager for the remainder of the project. Bechtel will replace Fluor, who will no longer be involved in the project.

iirc this is the only nuclear plant construction project in the us right now

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe

Crow Jane posted:

I remember reading very serious thinkpieces about this after the 2016 election

I know of four Actual, Living, Breathing Individuals who have done this in the last couple of years, participated in local elections, advocate fiercely in their communities, all of that. Sure, half of the reason is the coasts becoming unaffordable, but I still cheer the hell out of all of 'em for doing so.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

luxury handset posted:

georgia has been building two new nuclear reactors since 2009 or so

the projects are at least five years late and despite eight billion dollars in loan guarantees, the original contractor (westinghouse electric) went bankrupt and the utility company had to put out a new bid for a new contractor

The problem is that the only two companies with the authorization and clearance to build a reactor in the US is Westinghouse (bankrupt) and GE (teetering and slowly dying since 2008). That sort of puts the kibash on any new construction in a significant way without tons of government help.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

typhus posted:

I know of four Actual, Living, Breathing Individuals who have done this in the last couple of years, participated in local elections, advocate fiercely in their communities, all of that. Sure, half of the reason is the coasts becoming unaffordable, but I still cheer the hell out of all of 'em for doing so.

Makes you wonder how responsible that is for the rapid turnaround in Kansas.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Nuclear isn’t growing because they take forever to build, cost a fortune, new reactors are rare and so expertise and personnel are hard to find, the fuel is difficult to acquire with few suppliers, and then you have to hold onto the waste safely apparently forever too. Then you have NIMBYism and anti-nuclear groups and that currently there are numerous state level moratoriums on constructing them.

I love the idea of more nuclear plants, but compare all those negatives to a natural gas plant which suffers from none of them and makes just as much profit for the investors.

Natural gas is cheap and easy, nuclear is expensive and difficult.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Shifty Pony posted:

The previous IRS actions were likely illegal but since they were using fee income to pay for the recalled workers' salaries most experts said it was very unlikely anyone would have standing to challenge it.

It feels absurd that "illegal, but impossible for anybody to bring to court" is a situation that can exist

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

luxury handset posted:

iirc this is the only nuclear plant construction project in the us right now

Contractors should not be building, owning, or operating nuclear power plants anyway. Nationalize the nuclear industry.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1085293594603339776

She's SO good at this.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Gort posted:

Not paying the army seems like a poor choice for a leader of a country

Yeah but consider all the government work Trump is getting you and I for free! Dealz BABY!!!!!

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Nuclear power should be built by the government. It's expensive, but dealing with climate change isn't going to be cheap.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1085221097426038784?s=20

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

According to the World Nuclear Association here "about 50 power reactors are currently being constructed in 15 countries, notably China, India, Russia and the United Arab Emirates."

Stereotype posted:

I love the idea of more nuclear plants, but compare all those negatives to a natural gas plant which suffers from none of them and makes just as much profit for the investors.

The issue there appears to be the investors. Fund construction of nuclear plants federally.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Stereotype posted:

Nuclear isn’t growing because they take forever to build, cost a fortune, new reactors are rare and so expertise and personnel are hard to find, the fuel is difficult to acquire with few suppliers, and then you have to hold onto the waste safely apparently forever too. Then you have NIMBYism and anti-nuclear groups and that currently there are numerous state level moratoriums on constructing them.

Building nuclear isn't impossible but its clearly impossible to do at scale for the private sector, especially with the present rent-seeking incarnation of the nuclear industry. After the US nationalizes energy generation then *uproarious laughter*

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Didn't we already try this in Europe? The Crusades?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/jeff_bw/status/1085293803571957760

:bravo:

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe

VH4Ever posted:

Makes you wonder how responsible that is for the rapid turnaround in Kansas.

One of 'em that invests a lot of time with the DSA chapter in Kansas City MO said that they had met a few folks there that recently relocated with the same intention (and the same driving economic factors). I bet we'll see more of it as more people are priced out of urban centers.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Stereotype posted:

Yes, natural gas is our transitional fossil fuel until we figure out the renewable stuff.

Done right, the move from coal to gas has the biggest short term impact on reducing greenhouse gasses. But fracking operations can be pretty lazy about capturing the gas which offsets those gains.

Add in a good carbon capture method and you've got a party.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1085294345216028672

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Massive solar farms powering carbon dioxide to natural gas converters that power natural gas plants when needed, and pump it into the ground when not needed.