Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yeah I'm not sure which reason it actually is. Either way when the revolution comes and the guillotines come out I feel like he's going to choose the wrong side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

JFairfax posted:

yeah but im not sure if Bangladesh does

those people aren't in Bangladesh silly!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raldikuk posted:

There's 1 of 3 reasons for this. 1) your employers payroll team sucks and over withholds tips for some reason 2) your withholdings are set up wrong 3) both.

The most likely is #1 and ur payroll team is extrapolating very incorrectly how much additional income your tips will add throughout the year. Tips are normal income so they should be taxed at the marginal rate (including payroll tax of 7.65%). The plus side is you will get it back as a tax refund, the downside is that was an interest free loan to uncle Sam and he doesn't need interest free loans.

considering tips are close to 50% of my income I'm not sure its wrong

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Raldikuk posted:

There's 1 of 3 reasons for this. 1) your employers payroll team sucks and over withholds tips for some reason 2) your withholdings are set up wrong 3) both.

The most likely is #1 and ur payroll team is extrapolating very incorrectly how much additional income your tips will add throughout the year. Tips are normal income so they should be taxed at the marginal rate (including payroll tax of 7.65%). The plus side is you will get it back as a tax refund, the downside is that was an interest free loan to uncle Sam and he doesn't need interest free loans.

I don't think that HR is sending confiscated tips to the government...

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Larry Parrish posted:

considering tips are close to 50% of my income I'm not sure its wrong

Given there's no level of income where your marginal rate would be 100%, nevermind working as a service employee, I am going to guess it's very wrong. Like if your base pay were $12/hr and you get $12/hr in tips and work 2080 hours a year and you lived in California (has the highest income taxes in the country) then the total taxes you would owe on your $49,920 income would be $9,802.84 which includes payroll, fed, and state without factoring in anything beyond the standard deduction. $12/hr for an entire year is $24,960 or 2.55x what you would owe in taxes. Keep in mind that you would owe significantly less assuming you were making less. But even with the situation I mentioned above; your top marginal rate including payroll, state, and fed would be 27.65%, so for every dollar in tip you made, you would owe $0.2765.

If tips made up roughly a quarter/to a third of your income then I could see the perception that the tips you make pay for your taxes owed, but that isn't really the government just taking your tips or your employer doing so, you're just paying the taxes you actually owe on the income you brought in (in fact a bit of tax fraud since you choose not to report cash tips when you are supposed to), which is the boat that everyone is in really (except the ultra rich).

anonumos posted:

I don't think that HR is sending confiscated tips to the government...

The over withholding thing is quite common in many industries and with payroll departments that just use basic software that doesn't properly factor things in. If the employer is confiscating the tips outright, then that's even more reason to raise hell about it and actually figure out what should be owed. If they're reporting that they earned $x in tips, they absolutely should be seeing that money as gross income and then paying taxes on it accordingly.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I told em to not take any income tax out

I'm just gonna stop paying em that irs place has to be a shambles by now anyway

I'll pay California begrudgingly I suppose

e: the IRS is shutdown but the post office is funded til September gj fuckwits nice country

quote:

From the empty, shutdown IRS, automated processes are sending out property seizure notices, and no human can stop them

The IRS is shut down, along with much of the rest of the federal government, but unattended servers running on autopilot are sensing that no progress has been made on taxpayers' attempts to clarify disputed and overdue bills, and so they are initiating asset seizure proceedings.

Even if this turn of events is sufficient to terrorize you into paying a disputed bill, there's no one at the IRS to accept your payment -- and of course, if you maintain that the bill isn't correct, there's no one to discuss it with.

Lmfao

ee:

quote:

- Tax season begins in two weeks, and the IRS still hasn’t published an updated contingency plan for the shutdown.

- This is the first time you’ll be filing under the new tax code.

L m f a o

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 01:54 on Jan 15, 2019

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

I told em to not take any income tax out

I'm just gonna stop paying em that irs place has to be a shambles by now anyway

I'll pay California begrudgingly I suppose

e: the IRS is shutdown but the post office is funded til September gj fuckwits nice country

Lmfao

ee:

L m f a o

I'm imaging the country with a shut down post office.

lol

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Broke: We should destroy capitalism before climate change kills us all

Woke: We should destroy capitalism because the government shut down prevents my loot crates from coming

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Raldikuk posted:

Given there's no level of income where your marginal rate would be 100%, nevermind working as a service employee, I am going to guess it's very wrong. Like if your base pay were $12/hr and you get $12/hr in tips and work 2080 hours a year and you lived in California (has the highest income taxes in the country) then the total taxes you would owe on your $49,920 income would be $9,802.84 which includes payroll, fed, and state without factoring in anything beyond the standard deduction. $12/hr for an entire year is $24,960 or 2.55x what you would owe in taxes. Keep in mind that you would owe significantly less assuming you were making less. But even with the situation I mentioned above; your top marginal rate including payroll, state, and fed would be 27.65%, so for every dollar in tip you made, you would owe $0.2765.

If tips made up roughly a quarter/to a third of your income then I could see the perception that the tips you make pay for your taxes owed, but that isn't really the government just taking your tips or your employer doing so, you're just paying the taxes you actually owe on the income you brought in (in fact a bit of tax fraud since you choose not to report cash tips when you are supposed to), which is the boat that everyone is in really (except the ultra rich).

The over withholding thing is quite common in many industries and with payroll departments that just use basic software that doesn't properly factor things in. If the employer is confiscating the tips outright, then that's even more reason to raise hell about it and actually figure out what should be owed. If they're reporting that they earned $x in tips, they absolutely should be seeing that money as gross income and then paying taxes on it accordingly.

That's not really how tipped minimum wages work. Their employers are obligated to only pay up to the standard minimum wage. They can get away with paying the tipped minimum wage (often as low as $2.50) if you make up the difference in gratuity. Earn $10 in tips one hour? Instead of minimum wage + $10, you get the tipped minimum wage + whatever is left over out of that $10 bill.

It's theft, plain and simple, and more often than not the store manager keeps a much as possible, too.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
When I was a busboy all the servers tipped out to the managwr and a slice would go to me, the dishwasher, bartender, hostess etc in our checks at the end of the week. but there was no way of knowing if what I was getting every week was even close to accurate so at some point I assumed the boss just skimming off the top and that’s how he industry works.

Also when your 16 and get your paycheck your thought process is “holy poo poo $119!?! He’ll yea It’s party time bitches!”

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

anonumos posted:

That's not really how tipped minimum wages work. Their employers are obligated to only pay up to the standard minimum wage. They can get away with paying the tipped minimum wage (often as low as $2.50) if you make up the difference in gratuity. Earn $10 in tips one hour? Instead of minimum wage + $10, you get the tipped minimum wage + whatever is left over out of that $10 bill.

It's theft, plain and simple, and more often than not the store manager keeps a much as possible, too.

Pretty sure that's not how it works in CA (the state in question.) I mean employers do frequently steal wages, but CA isn't a reduced min wage for tipped positions or wage+tips must equal min wage state.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Aren't the post office and NIST the only constitutionally mandated parts of the government?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Census bureau too - FYI they're furloughed

(Expect for the folks running the 2020 decennial census since it's the mandated part)

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

anonumos posted:

They still have to set a base pay and they can't just take tips. So let's say the min wage for tipped employees is $5/hr and for non tipped it is $8. If the employer is in a tipped industry then they can offer a base pay of $5/hr and if the employee with tips makes at least $8/hr then no extra pay is needed. If it comes out to under $8/hr then the employer needs to make up the difference.

The employer can't say oh look you made $10/hr with tips on a base pay of $5/hr so we will just peel back the $2/hr from you; that's wage theft.

Also if they decide to pay $8/hr they can't just not pay out the tips unless they have an explicit no tip policy advertised. And even that depends on the state and if the industry is one where it tips are expected.

The thing I was responding to (and it may be a misreading on my part) is the idea that tips are taxed 100%. Even if tips somehow made up 100% of your income the marginal rate calculation I went over would apply. And that is based on actual income so even in the scenario you brought up the tips are taxed at their marginal rate, not 100%. The employer stealing wages isn't exactly uncle Sam's fault (other than being a lazy capitalist pig who doesn't regulate said businesses to prevent wage theft in the first place ofc).

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the regulation of society and distribution of resources is 100% the whole point of a government in the first place, meaning it is a failure of the American system that wages aren't fair in some places. Just because the government isn't willing to do something about it doesn't mean it's not their fault

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that happened when he became management, absolutely

That was the moment became presidential managerial.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sedisp posted:

I'm imaging the country with a shut down post office.

lol

Didn't that happen back in the 90's or something? I seem to remember that happening as a kid.

e: Yeah it did, in 95/96: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_federal_government_shutdowns_of_1995%E2%80%931996

I remember going to the post office with my parents only to find it closed so we couldn't get to our PO box and I thought the world was ending because how could the post office of all places not function

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

actionjackson posted:

we deserve climate change

Is this in Minnesota?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

Is this in Minnesota?

Yes the article is from star tribune our lovely paper

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://hesstoytruck.com/stem/

EDIT:

quote:

The following STEM activities are available.

Road Trip: Distance vs. Time Restrictions — Using the 2018 Hess RV, how many state capitals can the team visit in 14 days while abiding by the “rules of the road”?

RV-ing: Energy Efficiency vs. Vehicle Mass — How does vehicle mass affect its fuel efficiency?

Off-roading: Angles and Slopes — What is the maximum angle at which the 2018 Hess ATV can safely operate?

Gearing Up for Motorbike Racing — How does the 2018 Hess Motorbike work, and who are the best riders?

ATV: Design and Test an Obstacle Course — What turns an obstacle course into an adventure??

Vehicle Stability: Two Wheels vs. Four Wheels — Which vehicle, the 2018 Hess ATV or the Motorbike provides the greatest stability and why?

RV: Custom Designing Interior Spaces — What should the vacant space immediately behind the 2018 Hess RV’s cab seats be used for, and what features should it contain?

Internet Ad Campaign: 2018 Hess RV with ATV and Motorbike — What should be included in an advertisement to announce the new Hess RV Supercenter and its opening special, the 2018 Hess RV with ATV and Motorbike?

Doggles has issued a correction as of 00:23 on Jan 16, 2019

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hey now that last one sounds like it might require some creativity, we can't have any of that loving up our kids' 100% STEM-based education

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
First one actually owns, make those kids solve Traveling Salesman Problems and then you can teach 'em about the kinds of things computers are good for vs not good for and what humans are good at vs not good at.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

maybe don't force kids to write your marketing you loving rentseeking parasites

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

T-man posted:

maybe don't force kids to write your marketing you loving rentseeking parasites

Oh getting children from ages 8 to 12 to write our commercials is bad? Thank you for your valuable feedback. On a scale of "very much strongly agree" to "very much strongly not agree" how would you rate your consumer satisfaction of HESS® brand commercials written by the following age groups of children instead:

A) Newborn to 2 years
B) 2 to 7 years
C) 13 to 16 years

We will use your feedback to better serve you the quality HESS® brand child labor commercials you expect and deserve from HESS® in the future.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

The Fyre documentary was hilarious and sad at the same time. Influencer culture is trash and watching a bunch of rich kids get conned was funny. I feel sorry for the locals who are still owed money though. Watching them herd a bunch of spoiled drunk rich kids around knowing they're being exploited by the most narcisstic people on earth was depressing.

Like It's actually nauseating that people on instagram just get paid to be young and rich. There's a huge marketing machine behind all of these people and it's constantly projecting an unobtainable lifestyle to young people. If you have a kid today and they're on Instagram they're likely being bombarded with luxury they'll never have.

Elderbean has issued a correction as of 06:22 on Jan 16, 2019

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Elderbean posted:

If you have a kid today and they're on Instagram they're likely being bombarded with luxury they'll never have.

You don't have to be on instagram or have a kid for that matter to be drinking from that firehose.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Elderbean posted:

The Fyre documentary was hilarious and sad at the same time. Influencer culture is trash and watching a bunch of rich kids get conned was funny. I feel sorry for the locals who are still owed money though. Watching them herd a bunch of spoiled drunk rich kids around knowing they're being exploited by the most narcisstic people on earth was depressing.

Like It's actually nauseating that people on instagram just get paid to be young and rich. There's a huge marketing machine behind all of these people and it's constantly projecting an unobtainable lifestyle to young people. If you have a kid today and they're on Instagram they're likely being bombarded with luxury they'll never have.

I can think of one thing that could bring about a massive improvement in the lives of young people, and it starts with communist and ends with revolution.

that or a childhood unpaid 18 hour a day internship in marketing

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

You can't get away from influencer advertising. As soon as someone has an audience on youtube they sell out and start plugging products constantly. Unboxing videos are basically just commercials and kids love watching that poo poo. People used to call cartoons toy commercials (they weren't wrong) but at least they had some substance. The cartoon was like a prelude to toys, now it's like "here's a toy, don't you want to have it? Let me tell you how awesome this toy is!" There's a whole generation of broke brained redditors whose entire identity revolves around the disposable pop culture we grew up with, I can't imagine how the unboxing kids are gonna turn out.

Most youtube channels are trash for this reason. Ads make money but people are less tolerant of commercial breaks now so the ads have to be integrated into the content itself. There's an inherent dishonestly to the overwhelming majority of the content on YouTube because it's all just there to market products and politics.

Elderbean has issued a correction as of 06:41 on Jan 16, 2019

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
capitalism is cancer hope this helps

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Dead Beef posted:

capitalism is cancer hope this helps

I'm a Leo. No wonder we don't get along

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Elderbean posted:

You can't get away from influencer advertising. As soon as someone has an audience on youtube they sell out and start plugging products constantly. Unboxing videos are basically just commercials and kids love watching that poo poo. People used to call cartoons toy commercials (they weren't wrong) but at least they had some substance. The cartoon was like a prelude to toys, now it's like "here's a toy, don't you want to have it? Let me tell you how awesome this toy is!" There's a whole generation of broke brained redditors whose entire identity revolves around the disposable pop culture we grew up with, I can't imagine how the unboxing kids are gonna turn out.

Most youtube channels are trash for this reason. Ads make money but people are less tolerant of commercial breaks now so the ads have to be integrated into the content itself. There's an inherent dishonestly to the overwhelming majority of the content on YouTube because it's all just there to market products and politics.

That was a great post. You know how it could be even better? If you put it on a website! But you might think creating websites is hard. Not with SquareSpace! With SquareSpace you can create your blog in just 3 easy steps.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hell yeah getting referrals based advertising is back baby awoooooo

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
i only use youtube for internet synth music mixes that doesnt require me to get an extra app, joke's on them

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Elderbean posted:

I don't have a lot I follow on YouTube, but I was really bummed to see the Snake Discovery channel sell out in their recent vid, since her education work seems really positive to me. I like that I can scroll into the comments and see like kids who are excited to learn more and want to be like her when they grow up, kids that are no longer afraid of reptiles and spiders, just real wholesome stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q9dg2kZcGc

Now they have a sponsor and she has to shill garbage off-brand phones before the video. At least they just started a Patreon, so I can toss some bucks their way and hopefully it doesn't get worse with that kind of stuff.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Xand_Man posted:

I'm a Leo. No wonder we don't get along

Tomorrow you will see adverts for astrology websites, things look grim. Sign up with futuresense today and turn your luck around!

Coxswain Balls posted:

At least they just started a Patreon, so I can toss some bucks their way and hopefully it doesn't get worse with that kind of stuff.

Is Patreon kind of like a digital tipping jar? They get a cut for the work they do from the corporation, then you give them a bit more if you personally like their work.

TheMostFrench has issued a correction as of 09:51 on Jan 16, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41k9mbSJlvY

this but unironically

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just wanted to take this opportunity to organically and nonchalantly mention that Colgate toothpaste is the superior brand and is recommended by 4 out of 5 dentists

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Elderbean posted:

Hey now the only time Big Clive sold out was when he realized he could get a company to send him a free LED streetlight to take apart :colbert:

Or actually there was that other time he was given a neat lamp that looks like a flame to "review" and he took it apart because that's what he does, and the company freaked the hell out and demanded he take the video down because ~trade secrets~ and their sales immediately tanked when he did :laugh:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Elderbean posted:

Which Fyre documentary? Didn't two streaming services release their own ones at almost exactly the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Which Fyre documentary? Didn't two streaming services release their own ones at almost exactly the same time?

Yes one is on Hulu and is rightfully critical of the festival, the other is on Netflix and is made by some of the organisers of the festival