Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The least anime intro of the entire series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUE5lC7MbzI&t=149s

(I apologize if this scares you off the series, it is very good and fun)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnUN6wH7V3w is less anime, take that for what it's worth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Wish we could use the theme before the game goes live. Guess the youtubers showing it off got review or lolembargo copies.

https://old.reddit.com/r/acecombat/comments/ag8mfw/ace_combat_7_aicraft_tree_nearly_completed_v2/

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Blind Rasputin posted:

I am really down to give this game a try, as I love flight sims and air combat. But all the trailers convey a really strange style of character and story. Almost like the extras in a final fantasy video game. Is this game supposed to be laughably weird and almost anime on purpose?

Yea it’s pretty close to Dynasty Warriors with planes. I steer clear of anything anime, but the Ace Combat games remind me more of a poorly dubbed Asian movie rather than anime.

Of course if you want air combat with no anime and instead 100% Russian, try War Thunder. It’s actually pretty sweet on PS4.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 16, 2019

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
In preperation for Ace Combat 7 I started playing 3 JP and It's neat and also I'm loving horrible at it because the flying physics are way less lenient than any of the PS2 games.

Every dog fight is me stalling for like 3 minutes.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

I am really down to give this game a try, as I love flight sims and air combat. But all the trailers convey a really strange style of character and story. Almost like the extras in a final fantasy video game. Is this game supposed to be laughably weird and almost anime on purpose?

Yeah, the Venn Diagram of people who are into Ace Combat has two big bubbles: People into military aviation, and people who like ridiculous anime sci-fi super-weapons shooting missiles everywhere. The series leans heavily towards the anime side.

I'm not big on the anime stuff myself - my ideal Ace Combat game would be set in the 70's and not include any giant flying wings or anti-aircraft weapons designed to shoot down comets. I play the games anyway because the gameplay is amazing, the cheezy melodrama has it's charm, and I still get the opportunity to take a 1960's warplane and embarrass people flying 21st century wonderjets.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The least anime intro of the entire series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUE5lC7MbzI&t=149s

(I apologize if this scares you off the series, it is very good and fun)

I legit love this intro, but I always had 2 gripes with it

1) Before the game launched but this was out there, I legit thought AC5 was going to take a supernatural turn with Razgriz, and was hoping there would be a missions where you just shoot down a giant monster or something. Finding out that you were Razgriz kinda bummed me out a bit.

2) This trailer made me start listening to puddle of mudd for a bit and those were dark days.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hobo on Fire posted:

I'm not big on the anime stuff myself - my ideal Ace Combat game would be set in the 70's and not include any giant flying wings or anti-aircraft weapons designed to shoot down comets.

This but add back in the giant flying wings and anti-comet weapons. Basically posit that Jack Northrop and Gerald Bull got all the money they were asking for, at the same time as cocaine was really hitting it big.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

superweapons and megaprojects are half the charm of the series

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s probably the most “goon vs anime” thing I could say but Ace Combat managed so far to mostly take a lot of the things I like about anime and leave out basically all the stuff I don’t. AC6 managed to fall a bit on the wrong side of that, though only in the cutscenes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It could have been worse.

The little girl could have been your wingman

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"did you know there are three kinds of aces?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmkSm1r-KWs&t=77s

I wasn't even expecting this, but I almost recited Pixy's lines by heart unconsciously. And then I watched the rest of the video

I'm even more hyped for this poo poo now

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Radio Free Kobold posted:

superweapons and megaprojects are half the charm of the series

You see, I don't really buy that. Yeah, Ace Combat wouldn't be Ace Combat without them, but they don't need to be front and center for everything. In Zero, the mid-game superweapon was destroyed one mission after it was introduced... then you finished up the game by knocking out some generic ICBMs and shooting down a superplane nobody knew existed until it zapped PJ.

It worked just fine without treating them as a huge looming threat like they did with Stonehenge, or are doing with the Arsenal Bird.

Phy posted:

This but add back in the giant flying wings and anti-comet weapons. Basically posit that Jack Northrop and Gerald Bull got all the money they were asking for, at the same time as cocaine was really hitting it big.

Yeah, that'd be great if they stuck with things drawn up by actual aircraft designers instead of anime spaceships from some middle-schooler's notebook. I just don't like PA's original aircraft designs, big or small.

This is the An-225. The Russians drew up plans to take two of them and weld them together into a single aircraft. Why couldn't we get that instead of a flying manta ray or whatever? They like including the YF-23, why not throw in other planes that existed but never went into production? Throw in an X-32 instead of another pod racer with tiny little forward swept wings. I'm sure Boeing would like to get a little money for the design. How could anyone say no to this smiling face?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
are we just pretending the XB-0 mission didn't exist in AC0, because i'm actually pretty down with that

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Hobo on Fire posted:

You see, I don't really buy that. Yeah, Ace Combat wouldn't be Ace Combat without them, but they don't need to be front and center for everything. In Zero, the mid-game superweapon was destroyed one mission after it was introduced... then you finished up the game by knocking out some generic ICBMs and shooting down a superplane nobody knew existed until it zapped PJ.

It worked just fine without treating them as a huge looming threat like they did with Stonehenge, or are doing with the Arsenal Bird.

Yeah, that'd be great if they stuck with things drawn up by actual aircraft designers instead of anime spaceships from some middle-schooler's notebook. I just don't like PA's original aircraft designs, big or small.

This is the An-225. The Russians drew up plans to take two of them and weld them together into a single aircraft. Why couldn't we get that instead of a flying manta ray or whatever? They like including the YF-23, why not throw in other planes that existed but never went into production? Throw in an X-32 instead of another pod racer with tiny little forward swept wings. I'm sure Boeing would like to get a little money for the design. How could anyone say no to this smiling face?

I prefer the way Project Wingman does it, where the flying battleships are just another weapon instead of some super threat

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

are we just pretending the XB-0 mission didn't exist in AC0, because i'm actually pretty down with that

I don't know what I'd do without the Hragablurgle

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Phy posted:

This would own so loving hard. Start out flying an F-86 and eventually you get an F-4 or one of the crazy F-106 proposals.

The final enemy flies a MiG-25 prototype that actually lives up to the hype.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Reiterpallasch posted:

I actually forgot about it when I was typing that post, because its so inconsequential to the rest of the game... even moreso than excalibur or the morgan. It shows up in a cutscene inneffectively bombing your base, then you take off and kill it. Yeah it got hinted at during an earlier mission, but then nobody mentions it until it shows up.

Its like they wrote out the entire narrative of the game, then realized "oh poo poo, we forget the zany superweapons" and shoehorned them in at the last minute.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hobo on Fire posted:

I actually forgot about it when I was typing that post, because its so inconsequential to the rest of the game... even moreso than excalibur or the morgan. It shows up in a cutscene inneffectively bombing your base, then you take off and kill it. Yeah it got hinted at during an earlier mission, but then nobody mentions it until it shows up.

Its like they wrote out the entire narrative of the game, then realized "oh poo poo, we forget the zany superweapons" and shoehorned them in at the last minute.

Zero is also chronologically the earliest Ace Combat game in the timeline so it makes sense internally if the superweapons in it were both sparse and underwhelming as the crazy anime tech of 4/5/6/7/X/3 was still in its infancy back then.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
It needs a Strangerealified Ho229.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
All the money they don't spend on air defense radars and early warning systems can be spent on impractically large superweapons. A Good System.

I like how one of Belka's terrifying superweapons is just 'regular nuke on a regular missile'. Like I know why it's treated like such a big deal but it's super out of place since it's a thing that exists in the real world.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The only reason that Strangereal can have these massive intercontinental wars is because nuclear proliferation never happened and they just kept on building bigger cannons

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Don Gato posted:

All the money they don't spend on air defense radars and early warning systems can be spent on impractically large superweapons. A Good System.

I like how one of Belka's terrifying superweapons is just 'regular nuke on a regular missile'. Like I know why it's treated like such a big deal but it's super out of place since it's a thing that exists in the real world.

Actually the V2 is a MIRV warhead. Zero kind of buries the lead/fumbles the translation, but the big freakout importance of the Valley of Kings and Zero missions are basically "Anime ISIS has a nuke that can hit every capital city in the western hemisphere in one shot, oh poo poo."

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The only reason that Strangereal can have these massive intercontinental wars is because nuclear proliferation never happened and they just kept on building bigger cannons

So what you're saying is a theoretical 1st-3rd generation jet fighter Ace Combat the super weapon should just be a massive railway gun studded with AA guns and SAMs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyZukqJIZvw&t=15s

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So what you're saying is a theoretical 1st-3rd generation jet fighter Ace Combat the super weapon should just be a massive railway gun studded with AA guns and SAMs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyZukqJIZvw&t=15s

God I wish they included stuff like that in the actual game of Chromehounds rather than holding it hostage for its online portion that nobody played. Because the base game ended on a really underwhelming note, I seem to remember.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

LostCosmonaut posted:

This would own so loving hard. Start out flying an F-86 and eventually you get an F-4 or one of the crazy F-106 proposals.

The final enemy flies a MiG-25 prototype that actually lives up to the hype.

The neat thing about the 70s is that your endgame planes, the ones that took their first peek out the hangar that decade, are ones we're all well familiar with: the F-14, F-15, F-16, A-10, MiG-29, and Su-27.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, the single player being basically a glorified tutorial was the biggest disapointment in Chromehounds. Like, the makers of Armored Core could've done so much more with it, but nope, flash-in-the-pan multi-only game.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

nine-gear crow posted:

God I wish they included stuff like that in the actual game of Chromehounds rather than holding it hostage for its online portion that nobody played. Because the base game ended on a really underwhelming note, I seem to remember.

ChromeHounds was an amazing game and deserves a sequel or reboot that wasn't majority online

Tythas fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 16, 2019

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Blind Rasputin posted:

It's extremely anime, yeah. It seems to be an Ace Combat tradition to have weird stilted dialogue and voice acting. You can tell it's on purpose (I guess) because they purposefully went back to it in 7 after doing Assault Horizon.

Speaking of which, play Assault Horizon (I know I know) if you want a slightly more grounded Ace Combat. It has probably the worst missions in the series (helicopter missions, AC-130 mission) but it has a PC version, the script is only slightly anime (clearly chasing the Call of Duty money), the voice acting isn't...all bad, and the game-ruining 'dogfight mode' system turns out to be pretty good on the higher difficulties if you're playing for points.

For some reason the extensive plane customization/scoring system isn't present in single player until you start replaying single missions for points.

Take a shot every time the protagonist says 'Warwolf', 'Markov' or 'Guts' and die.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

My PS4 just started downloading both AC7 and AC5 :toot:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
One of the best parts of Assault Horizon is Kobayashi doing a CoD-esque soundtrack. Assault Horizon has some great music.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
AC5 is 17gigs so I guess it’s an actual HD version instead of an Up Rez

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
rumor I heard was uncompressed cutscenes and not a HD remaster, but :shrug:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The talk about how good Zero was had me wanting to boot it up and vaporize Pixy again. My PS2 controller appears to have packed it in, so I tried running the game disc in my PC with an emulator, but it slowed to a crawl and everyone sounded half in the bag. Do I need to rip the game to an ISO?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Phy posted:

The talk about how good Zero was had me wanting to boot it up and vaporize Pixy again. My PS2 controller appears to have packed it in, so I tried running the game disc in my PC with an emulator, but it slowed to a crawl and everyone sounded half in the bag. Do I need to rip the game to an ISO?

Most likely, but that's straying too into the realm of :filez: to really talk about in depth here at least. I can confirm though that every game I've tried to play on PCSX2 with the actual PS2 disc itself runs like rear end.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I beat Ace Combat 4 today and started AC5, gently caress me, are the new emulation updates for Ace Combat fuckin' incredible.

Really kickass games too. Goddamn I hope the squad leader who gets shot down at the beginning of AC5 doesn't somehow turn out to be a traitor!

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

I've been replaying 5 and 0, I dug up my PS2 and games. It just, warms my cold heart to see people playing the PS2 ones for the first time. I got 5 and 0 new. 5 was my first and I've been hooked since 2004. Oh yeah, if a guy named Chopper asks about music, say no. It'll be fine :getin:

15 years ago there was a game...

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And you have a loving Brigador avatar! Goddamn I hosed up chasing after the wrong-rear end crew of cool kids.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I am so jealous of you console havers because of AC5. It was my first experience with the series and I still love it more than 0 or 4. I would love to give namco my money for a PC release. Especially since all my experience was mostly blurry (ha!) due to the tube TV I had to play on. Menus were almost unreadable. HUD stuff was.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

I’ll never forget getting my ps1 and air combat for xmas in 1995 and then having to go on a family vacation for 2 weeks the next day

That was painful for 8 year old me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

I’ll never forget getting my ps1 and air combat for xmas in 1995 and then having to go on a family vacation for 2 weeks the next day

That was painful for 8 year old me

Considering the way Air Combat played on the PS1, I think you dodged a bullet there...