Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Doing my first SL1 run and I don't know how for the life of me I'm going do Oceiros, let alone Friede. Vilheim/Corvian Knights have been the worst so far, but I powered through them and I'll drat well power through these assholes! I have a Deep ls +6 and raw ls +7, should I just detour through Demon ruins and collect shards/chunks? I've heard two-handing the dragonslayer's axe is my best bet, but will +9 elemental longswords pull me through?

Also, taking a break I loaded my sl134 Full Havel's (minus Dragon Tooth) to help a dude with Soul of Cinder. Face tanked the full wombo combo, felt disgusting. My brother found it hilarious though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

pmchem posted:

what other games have the same “world is dying” dystopian malaise aesthetic as DS3?

Darkwood, though it's more about the world being overgrown and corrupted than dying

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well, let me take a moment to justify that word choice.

The Void posits the existence of a hierarchical chain of existences, each suspended from the next one up. As the lowest one dies, the next one becomes the lowest on the chain, perhaps with something from the previous existence escaping and uniting with the world above, or perhaps not. The protagonist in The Void is implied to be the player's (literally you, at the PC) spirit or conscience, engaging with the game world and taking some insight or aesthetic / moral lesson from it, but ultimately moving on with your life because it's just a game.

That’s fair reading of the game and I agree, but in the void itself, Golden Eyes/Guest/whatever you want to call him is not literally disembodied, he’s got a translucent body full of creepy hearts and the whole point of the game (from his point of view as a character) is to become an engorged phallus of artistic power and thrust his way through the top of the world.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So are there any weapons which have inherent Dark damage, that you could then Infuse Dark and get something similar to like infusing a Dragonslayer's Axe with Lightning?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
No, but the crucifix of the mad king can be buffed with dark damage. It's already a very strong weapon and with extra stacked dark damage it's super powerful

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Hollow Knight, although it's obviously and directly inspired by the Dark Souls aesthetic.

Hyper Light Drifter for something a little further afield.

Not sure I agree with that about Hyperlight drifter, feels more like a new world built on the fresh ruins of the old, similar to Fallout or Horizon Zero Dawn, as opposed to DS3 and Hollow Knight's complete decay.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Edit: oops, wrong thread.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

HaB posted:

So are there any weapons which have inherent Dark damage, that you could then Infuse Dark and get something similar to like infusing a Dragonslayer's Axe with Lightning?

The Murky Hand Scythe, which scales terribly with int/fai uninfused, decently with a Dark or Chaos Infusion, and wrecks house with Dark Blade. It's in the Ringed City and is a dagger though, not sure what kinda dude you're thinking about and how feasible that would be.

That said, any of the Faith double dip weapons (bident, LKGS, etc) or the good Chaos weapons (GFH, Demon Fist) also make good Dark weapons. Or something stat independent like a Raw Morningstar with Dark Blade, if you're feeling particularly edgy. Also a Dragonslayer Axe with Dark or Chaos is my favorite back pocket weapon on a lot of my weird split stat builds.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 3, 2018

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Holy poo poo did you guys see the new alpha content videos on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjDpk4sTFsA

Duuuuuude, they modeled two versions of Ocelotte, a normal one and one where he gets all crushed and mangled in a mess of the crystals surrounding his body. Not only that, he remains stuck to Oceiros during phase 2, and you can hear a sickening squelch along with his cries of pain anytime Oceiros take a step.

Yikes no wonder they cut this content out. Someone (or several people) over at from soft is a real sick bastard to have even fully modeled and designed/programmed this in. I get that their thing is to be macabre but that's too much, man!

E: it's staggering how much seemingly meaningful content gets cut out in From Soft games, see: all the cut bloodborne content, there's some seriously good stuff there

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 22, 2018

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
So something I just put together is that the big bowl that Father Ariandel is holding looks a lot like the big bowl that shoots fire at you in the profaned capital. Also, the big tower that you get to from climbing down the rope ladder from the chapel looks a lot like the towers in the profaned capital. That plus the fact that Pontiff Sulyhan came from the painting means... idk really but it's interesting isn't it.

I like the recurring imagery of "bowls" in the games. Like the lord vessel and the profaned flame bowl, and the key item you use to get into Lothric castle. There's also the Ringed City which is kind of in a big bowl. And the darksign on the Ringed knights that is there to bind them. There's also the high wall of lothric that "appeared" at some point, I guess when Prince Lothric decided not to link the fire. And of course the kiln that you fight the Soul of Cinder in. I'm sure there's a lot more things.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
When the fire fades nobody can light their bowl anymore

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
So, dumb question, stuff is on sale on Steam. Is the Deluxe Version with season pass worth getting or just get the base version and spend money on the DLC? I honestly don't know wtf season pass gets you as it's not 100% clear and I don't buy tons of games all the time on Steam

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Levitate posted:

So, dumb question, stuff is on sale on Steam. Is the Deluxe Version with season pass worth getting or just get the base version and spend money on the DLC? I honestly don't know wtf season pass gets you as it's not 100% clear and I don't buy tons of games all the time on Steam

Those two are identical, get whichever costs less.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
How much does the deluxe or cheapest version with all DLC cost now? DS3 is my last DS to play. I’m hoping for a Switch version but I’d spend $20 on the PC version.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Look Sir Droids posted:

How much does the deluxe or cheapest version with all DLC cost now? DS3 is my last DS to play. I’m hoping for a Switch version but I’d spend $20 on the PC version.

Deluxe is $25 right now, Regular is $15 + $7.99 for each DLC

So right now I guess Deluxe is the best value

e: that all said. any advice/info for first time playing? I've played DS 1 and 2, know nothing about 3 though. I've almost always run melee characters though I'm kind of interested in trying a pyromancer

Levitate fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 25, 2018

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Pyro and magic are harder to play first run because until you know where all the tomes/spells/catalysts are it can be tough. You can seriously finish the game with starting gear on the Knight if you were so inclined, straight sword is the ultimate meta

Not to say you cant do Pyro or magic off the bat though

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Incidentally, I know a bunch of folks have problems with Midir, but he's really all about positioning, hitbox awareness, and reading generous tells rather than twitch reflexes. Here's where I killed him in NG+ a while back with a super-generic Quality/Luck sword and board build - should hopefully give you a bit more of a clue about what's up with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6HXpvbvSTo

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I mean that video itself is a pretty good example of why he's a terribly-designed boss, it's full of moments where you lose 3/4 of your health from off-camera attacks, are sitting around doing nothing because none of his vulnerable parts are in reach, wave your sword around in mid-air because it's so obnoxiously difficult to judge size vs. distance with dragon bosses, or have to run across the entire football field-sized arena because he's just hosed off to the other side.

To say nothing of the less gameplay-related but still hilarious factor of "you are going to spend a significant portion of this fight staring at dragon taint."

Midir sucks.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
The first time I fought Midir was with a sorcerer so I ended up learning the strategy of always staying in front of him and only hitting the head (since I'd run out of FP otherwise), and that's worked well for every other build.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean that video itself is a pretty good example of why he's a terribly-designed boss, it's full of moments where you lose 3/4 of your health from off-camera attacks
It's one of those bosses where the lock-on camera can easily freak out and get you killed. So you have to be comfortable with switching the lock-on on and off. Also it's best to to keep Midir in front of you and focus on his head instead of trying to run around him. The head is the weak spot and from that angle you will be able to see all attacks coming.

Midr does suck though. If they had given him 30-40% less health I would have much happier. As it is, the fights just drags on too long.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 1, 2019

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
Yeh if you always move to stand in front of midirs head the fight becomes a QTE mini-game.

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
The Midir fight got a lot easier once I realized that having the fire resistant shield out blocking meant I didn't have to time my dodges against his breathe attacks.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I was sitting around trying to find someone to kill Midir for me the other night and got bored and went to grab a drink. I came back and started running down the stairs to kill the ringed knight for his armor when I ran into an invader who had apparently showed up right when I walked away from the TV. Their name was like PvP TrYhArD NeRd or something like that and I felt really good when I killed them.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Midir never felt like he had too much health to me, and most of his moves are easy to dodge, block and/or punish. But I did hate his tendency to just rush or fly from one end of the battlefield to the other.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Is the partizan good to poke things with?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yes. Saint's Bident, Ringed Knight spear and plow are all also quite good.

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

Lawman 0 posted:

Is the partizan good to poke things with?

Moveset's great - it's the only actual spear with a useful R2. Range is a bit lacking.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

torsoboy posted:

The Midir fight got a lot easier once I realized that having the fire resistant shield out blocking meant I didn't have to time my dodges against his breathe attacks.

A Dragon Crest Shield (even at +0) lets you block all his melees and breaths and makes the fight completely trivial because you don't need to dodge. Just Block Midir(tm)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

kilinrax posted:

Moveset's great - it's the only actual spear with a useful R2. Range is a bit lacking.
I always felt that the Partizan, and by extension the entire spear class, has poo poo for damage. Though it's especially bad for it and the godawful Yorshka's Spear, like they nerfed the damage of those weapon so the ability to have an R2 sweep wouldn't be broken or something?

It might be that I haven't given the Party a good enough chance, maybe it's great with higher stats for scaling, upgrades, infusion (?), and proper Leo Ring usage. I suck at fishing for counterhits though, so it's not my preferred playstyle anyway. Just be wary though that the damage might be weirdly low at least at the start?

Mainly I'm just yearning for the humble DS2 Spear which has the awesome moveset, and the R2's crush damage loving obliterates everything. Like you whack one of those super armored turtle soldiers with a bit of wooden handle and they lose half their health at once, it's mental.

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Simply Simon posted:

I always felt that the Partizan, and by extension the entire spear class, has poo poo for damage.
Mainly I'm just yearning for the humble DS2 Spear which has the awesome moveset, and the R2's crush damage loving obliterates everything.

Spears in general seem to be worse than in 2 for multiple reasons. There's also no passive poise in 3, so spears have a tougher time against HA weapons.

For me, the Partizan fits the same loose 'tier' as the Lucerne (disregarding that Halberds are just generally better): it has a fun moveset, but is short and lacks damage without the Leo ring, and definitely is sub-optimal within its class.

To my mind, if you're trying to optimise, you need to consider your choice relative to other weapons which can perform the same role, whether it has advantages over those weapons, and if you're comfortable exploiting that edge.

The reason to pick a spear is the one handed thrusting attack (two handed for pikes). So, do they have an edge over katanas or thrusting swords? They do, in range. So if your spacing is good, they're a solid choice. Not so much otherwise.

I've had most success with a Four-Pronged Plow in the right (running attacks), Hand Axe in the left (roll catches) build.

kilinrax fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 7, 2019

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

kilinrax posted:

I've had most success with a Four-Pronged Plow in the right (running attacks), Hand Axe in the left (roll catches) build.

Sellsword off hand rapier main hand
Lothric sword off hand estoc main hand
Katana off hand old wolf curved great sword main hand

I saw is popular on youtube:
Rapier off hand great sword main hand

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

asio posted:

Sellsword off hand rapier main hand
Lothric sword off hand estoc main hand
Katana off hand old wolf curved great sword main hand

I saw is popular on youtube:
Rapier off hand great sword main hand

I'm a big an off off-hand builds, but I don't get most of those?

Rapier main hand seems like it'd be less optimal than Estoc. In the off-hand it can parry (the timing is difficult, though). I assume Sellswords get the curved sword parry?

Lothic off-hand is great with a slow weapon, but Estoc is fast and has a R2 sweep.

Katana off-hand I've never tried. I guess it's for mixups and it must have a parry? Will give this a go.

Greatsword main hand seems like a bad idea, they only get HA on 2H moves, and are slow compared to other non-HA weapons. Curved Greatswords (which do get 1H HA) with Rapier off-hand builds are great, though.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

kilinrax posted:

I'm a big an off off-hand builds, but I don't get most of those?

Rapier main hand seems like it'd be less optimal than Estoc. In the off-hand it can parry (the timing is difficult, though). I assume Sellswords get the curved sword parry?

Lothic off-hand is great with a slow weapon, but Estoc is fast and has a R2 sweep.

Katana off-hand I've never tried. I guess it's for mixups and it must have a parry? Will give this a go.

Greatsword main hand seems like a bad idea, they only get HA on 2H moves, and are slow compared to other non-HA weapons. Curved Greatswords (which do get 1H HA) with Rapier off-hand builds are great, though.

Mostly just messing around. E: you said you also like offhand builds please tell me more

Sellsword swings in an arc, rapier pokes. Both parry offhand. If someone starts parrying then the sellsword gets twohanded for the unparryable weapon art. If someone rolls in close the sellsword catches them into a rapier poke. Warning: it is difficult and terrible and the only "burst damage" comes from crits, and hornet ring is too good and without is too bad, but I can play sellswords pretty reliably now and got bored one day.

Lothric offhand because it swings in an arc and estoc pokes and they're the longest versions of their weapon class. That's for when I meet meta lords with no imagination who hate fun. The lothric swing is faster than the estoc r2. Having both swing speed options is very good for catching rolls and spacing. Also the lothric sword can do anything

Katana off hand cgs main hand was because i had a sellsword/pontiff rings/old wolf cgs build and got bored so replaced sellswords with katana. It's good for mix ups I guess. And you are very right about how good the one hand poise/HA works on cgs, it is extremely useful against players with itchy trigger fingers. Katana does not parry offhand. You get the L1 guard and L2 is the same as the main hand R1. Can always two hand for the parry WA tho. Mostly useful because your opponent is initially thrown off by the weirdness of it.

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

asio posted:

Mostly just messing around. E: you said you also like offhand builds please tell me more

The most effective setup I've used is Hand Axe off-hand. It has superb rollcatching ability, more horizontal swings than a light curved sword (iIrc?) and more damage than a Corvian GK or a Murky Hand Scythe. Pairs well with spears, halberds and ultras - and probably thrusting swords, katana and maybe reapers?

Rapier/Murakumo is extremely good, as you know. Though the slow startup on parry frames means you need to predict, hard.

Off-hand Great Machete / main hand Longsword is lots of fun. Though Greatsword UGS man, Hand Axe off might be better.

A few people have recommended Demon's Scar off-hand, though I've not tried it yet. Currently building a pyro to give it a go.

Also: if you play DSR, give main hand Silver Knight Spear, off-hand Gold Tracer a go.

asio posted:

Lothric offhand because it swings in an arc and estoc pokes and they're the longest versions of their weapon class. That's for when I meet meta lords with no imagination who hate fun. The lothric swing is faster than the estoc r2. Having both swing speed options is very good for catching rolls and spacing. Also the lothric sword can do anything

Varying swing speed makes a lot of sense. I might give this a go too. Have you tried the Lothric 2H R2 poke spam?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Cuchulain posted:

The Murky Hand Scythe, which scales terribly with int/fai uninfused, decently with a Dark or Chaos Infusion, and wrecks house with Dark Blade. It's in the Ringed City and is a dagger though, not sure what kinda dude you're thinking about and how feasible that would be.

That said, any of the Faith double dip weapons (bident, LKGS, etc) or the good Chaos weapons (GFH, Demon Fist) also make good Dark weapons. Or something stat independent like a Raw Morningstar with Dark Blade, if you're feeling particularly edgy. Also a Dragonslayer Axe with Dark or Chaos is my favorite back pocket weapon on a lot of my weird split stat builds.

me, crawling up from a fetid pit of decay and rot: "but you forgot the Great Corvian Scythe"

asio
Nov 29, 2008

kilinrax posted:

The most effective setup I've used is Hand Axe off-hand. It has superb rollcatching ability, more horizontal swings than a light curved sword (iIrc?) and more damage than a Corvian GK or a Murky Hand Scythe. Pairs well with spears, halberds and ultras - and probably thrusting swords, katana and maybe reapers?

Rapier/Murakumo is extremely good, as you know. Though the slow startup on parry frames means you need to predict, hard.

Off-hand Great Machete / main hand Longsword is lots of fun. Though Greatsword UGS man, Hand Axe off might be better.

A few people have recommended Demon's Scar off-hand, though I've not tried it yet. Currently building a pyro to give it a go.

Also: if you play DSR, give main hand Silver Knight Spear, off-hand Gold Tracer a go.

Varying swing speed makes a lot of sense. I might give this a go too. Have you tried the Lothric 2H R2 poke spam?

Thanks for the confirmation on the off hand hand ax. Every build of mine has one simple infused just to get aggressive players to chill out. It's so fast and can almost compete with curved swords.

Yes the lkss 2 hand r2 spam is awesome. That weapon can do anything. I liked it when a youtuber said the two handed poke was the best spear in the game because 1) it's a spear that 2) is the lkss haha.

I'm still trying to figure out how in the world to use the bandit twindaggers. Kinda useful in duels if you pull it out when your opponent has low health and chase them down. But if you don't kill them in that initial rush they will calm down and space it like usual. (The running L1 is kinda janky in your favour same as the caestus running L1) Otherwise it seems like it would be really fun against someone with a perfect connection (to get reliable spacing) but that almost never happens.

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

asio posted:

Thanks for the confirmation on the off hand hand ax. Every build of mine has one simple infused just to get aggressive players to chill out. It's so fast and can almost compete with curved swords.

Honestly I've never Simple infused it. The range on the Caestus is so bad that I barely use it for punching, so Simple is my go to, but the Hand Axe always gets a damage infusion. Even Heavy scales decently.

asio posted:

Yes the lkss 2 hand r2 spam is awesome. That weapon can do anything. I liked it when a youtuber said the two handed poke was the best spear in the game because 1) it's a spear that 2) is the lkss haha.

Good old Saint Riot :D

asio posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how in the world to use the bandit twindaggers. Kinda useful in duels if you pull it out when your opponent has low health and chase them down. But if you don't kill them in that initial rush they will calm down and space it like usual. (The running L1 is kinda janky in your favour same as the caestus running L1) Otherwise it seems like it would be really fun against someone with a perfect connection (to get reliable spacing) but that almost never happens.

They feel like they should be better than they've been in my experience too. The stretch-poke neutral 2HR1 of other daggers (particularly the Murky, Corvian, or even Bandit Knife) feels easier to start stagger chains with.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Finally got my controller working again.

Time to finish this bitch

(which means starting from square 1 because I can't remember where I left off :shepicide:)

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I had fun playing this before the DLC came out, but fell away from it and now I want to go back and play the DLC because I guess I bought the season pass and never realized it lol. Am I going to be best off just staying offline to avoid nightmare twink gankers, or is the multiplayer still reasonable for invasions and summons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You can't twink in this game that hard, but of course most invaders are going to be way better at the game than you since they've willingly chosen to invade. Still no real point staying offline because at worst you'll get invaded every time you're embered which is probably going to be right after a boss so you'll have nothing to lose. And it's not even that likely to get invaded when you can be because the playerbase isn't quite there and people with summons are prioritised before you.

So yeah, you'll probably die to an invade a handful of time if you're online but no big deal, unless you think that's a big deal. And you can always summon help those times too.