Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your resolution for the new year?
This poll is closed.
To play more games 54 12.68%
To play more games 52 12.21%
To play less games...sorry, I meant more games 70 16.43%
To play games more 79 18.54%
Something else (in addition to playing more games) 66 15.49%
To make more/less Bowsette references 105 24.65%
Total: 219 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's selfish, but Capcom can gently caress up all they want as long as Monster Hunter is good.

Yeah, though I'd appreciate new Mega Man X and Shu Takumi games. And Yakuza but it's Street Fighter, a game that exists only in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

chumbler posted:

Yeah, though I'd appreciate new Mega Man X and Shu Takumi games. And Yakuza but it's Street Fighter, a game that exists only in my head.
*closes eyes* ah I can see it now, wait whats this, its appearing in my hand

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

homeless snail posted:

I don't see anything.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

homeless snail posted:

I kind of love Streetwise actually

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Doesn't the plot of Final Fight Streetwise at some point involve magic green drugs that give people superpowers?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The United States posted:

Doesn't the plot of Final Fight Streetwise at some point involve magic green drugs that give people superpowers?

yeah, also you can play darts

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Make the chart that includes Galaxy of Heroes and includes its revenue compared to the Lucasarts games combined

Unfortunately Disney doesn't give a poo poo

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
masters of teras kasi 2

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I never would've guessed that Bungie was able to divorce it's abusive husband Activision after, what, a ten-year marriage?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think its more like activision abandoning their adoptive child in the forest

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Bungie just found a new sugar daddy

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Samuringa posted:

Bungie just found a new sugar daddy

who

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

I'm like 60 hours in and haven't seen credits yet, is the post game that substantial?

Yes.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
destiny 3 now with more spyware than you can shake an antivirus suite at

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Would Chinese censorship laws impact US gaming? Or would that be kept local to China? :thunk:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

In Training posted:

I'm like 60 hours in and haven't seen credits yet, is the post game that substantial?

no, the postgame is really only like 20-30 hours

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Grouchio posted:

Would Chinese censorship laws impact US gaming? Or would that be kept local to China? :thunk:

grey-or-black data collection has nothing to do with censorship laws

china fuckin loves to steal user data by hiding their crawlers in popular applications. why do you think universities all over the world have started sending out general warnings to their students studying abroad in china about having to root their phones and clean out spyware when they get home and that a factory reset won't cut it

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 16, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Grouchio posted:

Skeltons models cost money to make after all

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I'm playing Vice City for the first time.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Grouchio posted:

Rainbow Six Siege almost made the Chinese censorship global because it was easier than having two versions. There was a massive backlash though, so they didn't go through with it.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I'm playing Vice City for the first time.

Yeah well I’ve never played kingdom hearts

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Candlelight Virgil posted:

Yeah well I’ve never played kingdom hearts

I spent my entire life doing exactly this until I finally relented last year. I regret it.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

man nurse posted:

I spent my entire life doing exactly this until I finally relented last year. I regret it.

I’ve been very close

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Rainbow Six Siege almost made the Chinese censorship global because it was easier than having two versions. There was a massive backlash though, so they didn't go through with it.
How scary was that back in November?

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

man nurse posted:

I'm playing them now and it's actually fascinating. I don't think I've ever played a more bizarre and uncanny video game series, certainly not from a big studio. Nothing about it feels...real? Every line of dialogue boggles the mind and leaves me speechless. I'm not sure I've seen a single believable character interaction. It's as if I'm watching aliens trying to approximate the feeling of both Disney movies and Final Fantasy games but having such a shaky grasp of human psychology that every character, scenario and world feels somehow wrong. It seems to follow dream logic. I beat up some grey blobs in a baffling and eerily empty dreamscape of a town, and once I accomplish this Mickey Mouse exits a magic train wearing a black cloak. Tarzan's Clayton was riding a giant invisible lizard. I'm past the first few hours of KH2 and I'm beginning to suspect that everything that has transpired so far was some sort of meta-joke. it's incredible.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Grouchio posted:

How scary was that back in November?

not very

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1085423952095297537

Random disk game for $4 (US shipping)

It's a stupid promotional stunt for a used game store in the Seattle area.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My work is like a 15 minute walk from one of their locations maybe I'll give that a shot

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/DinosaurDracula/status/1085200277333000192

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tired: pokemon
wired: seto kaiba being a loving dick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NMpnayXYok

just my luck. dorkfest continues

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

tired: pokemon
wired: seto kaiba being a loving dick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NMpnayXYok

just my luck. dorkfest continues

It's a tough contest between him and Gary Oak.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

tired: yugioh
fired:
https://i.imgur.com/7goNEPg.mp4

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

re2 demo got me on a horror kick so i'm playing dead space for the first time ever. good sound design imo

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chumbler posted:

It's a tough contest between him and Gary Oak.

Gary isn't a billionaire dickhead who revealed capitalism to be a loving lie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE3JS-kvhCU

this is the "EVEN MY IMMEDIATE FAMILY BOUGHT IT" of the millennial generation

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

corn in the bible posted:

re2 demo got me on a horror kick so i'm playing dead space for the first time ever. good sound design imo

Dead Space 1 and 2 were great, gently caress EA for killing the franchise off with stupid early microtransaction bullshit. The devs seemed like genuinely enthusiastic people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ3iqq49Ew8

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Do you think people started talking about "the camera" in videogames because of Lakitu in Super Mario 64 or is it just a carryover of how we talk about movies?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Ni No Kuni 2 was my first game of 2019. To describe it the way my bro would, "it was never uninteresting." But that's about the highest praise I can give it.

As far as the length of the main story, I think it was just right. If anything, everything after Goldpaw goes way too fast. You guys aren't making a movie, you're making video games; you can take your time to exposit on poo poo and you don't need to fit everything important into 90 minutes.

As a Suikoden game, it has a number of major flaws. You can't recruit people until after you've done their city's segment, so you can never get ahead of the curve (actually Suikoden 2 kind of has this problem as well but it's mostly due to bugs in the code rather than by design). Even worse, some of the recruits are hidden in the post-game for no reason. But the king poo poo problem with its Suikoden game is, your recruits don't have speaking portraits. Yeah, they have them in the menus, but that's not the point. The best part of Suikoden is seeing your dudes' faces next to their dialogue and you screwed it up.

Visually it's very nice, but it does a lot of draw distance tricks and if you pay any amount of attention at all, you'll notice that the game has crazy pop-in for environmental details, foliage, etc. It would be nice if someone could mod it in or if you could edit it in an .ini file or something, I bet it would look absolutely jaw-dropping on sufficiently powerful hardware if you just uncapped the draw distance on it.

The translation is all over the place. It's a victim of trying too hard. My hope for 2019 is that it's the year we finally go back to the drier localizations of the turn of the century. You don't need to give everyone a stupid accent and it's okay to use common Japanese turns of phrase instead of turning them into something in English that doesn't even convey what was originally said at all.

7/10, like it's good but it's not great or anything.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pwnstar posted:

Do you think people started talking about "the camera" in videogames because of Lakitu in Super Mario 64 or is it just a carryover of how we talk about movies?

Someone made a mod for the RE2 remake demo that reverted back to a static camera and I nearly died laughing trying to explain how batshit this was to my wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Contemporary reviews for Alone in the Dark (1992) use the term “camera”, and that predates SM64, so likely it’s just film language

Jay Rust fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 16, 2019