Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I looked it up and the ending I got is Canon which is weird. I can go back and beat the boss and now I'm curious why they made the "good" ending the fail state one. Interesting approach to a final boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

I looked it up and the ending I got is Canon which is weird. I can go back and beat the boss and now I'm curious why they made the "good" ending the fail state one. Interesting approach to a final boss

thats cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah. Like in the failure scenario James, who was in love with the final boss, sacrifices himself to protect Koudelka/Edward, they have a conversation and then ascend into the afterlife together, Koudelka/Edward have a scene later of them camping out, hanging out on a horse, theyve clearly become a couple. In the "good" ending you kick the boss into a lava cauldron and get a 10 second scene of James looking at the sunrise crying and koudelka and edward never say a word to each other after. I really like that approach. There's also a third ending where if you dont have a Pendant in your inventory the final boss kills you right you enter her arena lol. Anyway. For real now, let's kick off 2019 with:

1. Koudelka

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

Yeah. Like in the failure scenario James, who was in love with the final boss, sacrifices himself to protect Koudelka/Edward, they have a conversation and then ascend into the afterlife together, Koudelka/Edward have a scene later of them camping out, hanging out on a horse, theyve clearly become a couple. In the "good" ending you kick the boss into a lava cauldron and get a 10 second scene of James looking at the sunrise crying and koudelka and edward never say a word to each other after. I really like that approach. There's also a third ending where if you dont have a Pendant in your inventory the final boss kills you right you enter her arena lol. Anyway. For real now, let's kick off 2019 with:

1. Koudelka

the developers must have played undetale

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

trying to jack off posted:

the developers must have played undetale

Was ol yeller in the credits perchance? :D

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
2. Smash Bros Ultimate - all classic modes

I beat WoL last year so depends when you'd call it beat. Did not get all 1300ish spirits but it's not like I'ma stop playing it

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
Adding Mega Man 11

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

1. DQXI
1a. DQXI post game

I still like this game, but I got kind of bored of it at the end. I'm glad I played it, but I don't think I'm going to play anything else that takes 60+ hours to beat for a long time. I really hated how status effects work and I kind of resent having to spend an hour and half gathering the mats to make two copies of the Catholicon Ring for each of my guys just so I could beat some hard fights without going insane. The art is great and Sylvando and Hendrick are badass.

What's the lore behind the guy in the armor at the end with your sword? Is that a character from another DQ game?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm over 60 hours in and I haven't even seen credits...sounds like you need to learn how to chew your food before you swallow it.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

That guy spent 40 hours crafting 8 catholicon rings instead of reading spell descriptions since you can heal basically every status effect lol.

Also easily the dumbest final cutscene question I've ever seen. Did you pay attention to the game at all?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

That guy spent 40 hours crafting 8 catholicon rings instead of reading spell descriptions since you can heal basically every status effect lol.

Also easily the dumbest final cutscene question I've ever seen. Did you pay attention to the game at all?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

You can't heal them if all your guys that can heal it are effected by the status effect, bitch.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

.hack//G.U. Volume 1

On the lower end of PS2 era RPGs but the speculative fiction in the news segments and forums are interesting to look back on.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

fadam posted:

You can't heal them if all your guys that can heal it are effected by the status effect, bitch.

I don't think you understand the fundamental mechanics of status effects in games

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

.hack//G.U. Volume 1

On the lower end of PS2 era RPGs but the speculative fiction in the news segments and forums are interesting to look back on.
I don't find the gameplay in these that amazing, but the amount of effort they put into everything surrounding the fake MMO is really neat. I wish they'd been better games but I'm glad they got a remake.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

don't flame me imps but I, too, reached the summit and saw credits in Celeste
still need to collect the hearts and cassettes tho

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Shinobi, hardest, fast bullets, no death

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

my hat is like a shark's fin

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

8. Lilian Fourhand ~Nuclear soeur Fighters~ (Hard 1cc)

Old doujin game by French Bread, best known for Melty Blood and UNIEL. It's a fun little autoscrolling platformer/shooter based on the popular Maria-sama ga Miteru series. You control two characters at once who mostly move in sync, you can shoot to the left or the right as well as lock on to targets in the background, you have a dash with iframes and you can press down and jump in the air to goomba stomp enemies. The jumping is a little unusual, if you're holding to either side when you hit the button your characters will do a somersault and their shots will swing around in a circle. As doujin games go it's pretty high quality, I found it randomly thanks to a youtube suggestion and had a great time with it.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 16, 2019

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

9. Ganryu (Suzume 1cc)

Hadn't played this in a few weeks but loaded it up and 1cc'd it right away. :shrug: Neo Geo game, got a lot of ninjas in it. Pretty janky but it's short and well I like ninja games.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

fadam posted:

Serena has a spell that makes you immune tonstaus effects so the first person u cast it on is serena. Farewell

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

mysterious loyall X posted:

Serena has a spell that makes you immune tonstaus effects so the first person u cast it on is serena. Farewell

sounds too advanced for me

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I beat Ace Combat 4 and gently caress me that's a neat intro to the Ace Combat series I wish I played it first instead of Ace Combat Assault Horizon all those years ago

Got AC5 and AC0 lined up next and I'm hyped as all hell until AC7 comes out on PC in Feb

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

b_d posted:

Was ol yeller in the credits perchance? :D

ooohhhh thanks for the reminder.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
Undertale

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Got my Corn GSP to 130,000. I consider that beating 129,000 other Smash players. Shooting for 200,000 tomorrow.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

I beat Ace Combat 4 and gently caress me that's a neat intro to the Ace Combat series I wish I played it first instead of Ace Combat Assault Horizon all those years ago

Got AC5 and AC0 lined up next and I'm hyped as all hell until AC7 comes out on PC in Feb

AC0 kicks rear end. Well so does 4 and 5.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
5) FAR: Lone Sails - 1/17/19

Cool indie game where you control a steampunk car-boat with a bunch of big red buttons. Very relaxing to play

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Antoine Silvere posted:

5) FAR: Lone Sails - 1/17/19

Cool indie game
No

quote:

where you control a steampunk
No

quote:

car-boat with a bunch of big red buttons
No

quote:

Very relaxing to play
Absolutely not

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Welp. Owned.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Wormskull posted:

Welp. Owned.

I guess so.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
deltarune
fun secret boss, I wish they'd focus on making battles harder since this and undertale were cakewalks

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
oh yeah i forgot:
2) SMASH TV with a friend. A lot of it is bullshit, but it was fun.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

No

No

No

Absolutely not

Haha, yeah, reading it now it does sound kind of lame...

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
FART: Bone Smells

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
ive been beaten by hearts of iron iv because i spent $50 on a game and now refuse to watch 5 hours of youtube tutorials

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

That’s the easiest one to learn. Play as nationalist Spain. Or if your brave, republican. That’s what I did to learn it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Or be some non combatant and just read the tool tips. Or something. Be in the mood to read tooltips. You shouldn’t have to watch tubes.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Even as a map game veteran I found HOI incomprehensible until 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Finished off Yakuza 6, and now I’ve played them all except Kiwami 2.

So:
1. Yakuza Kiwami
2. Yakuza 6