Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If I am listening to a pop culture podcast I am not gonna get mad about spoilers for a month old movie. I listen to pop culture podcasts because I want to hear people talk about pop culture and it's annoying when they have to have these weird tiptoe bullshit because some dude is mad someone dared talk about a movie they saw

I mean they could just say "spoiler warning, skip past us talking about this" and move on with the spoilers from there. It takes like 5 seconds. They don't have to do the "no dude you have to say Culprit, even 8 years on" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

CJacobs posted:

I mean they could just say "spoiler warning, skip past us talking about this" and move on with the spoilers from there. It takes like 5 seconds. They don't have to do the "no dude you have to say Culprit, even 8 years on" thing.

Well yeah but it's kind of hard to do that during a live podcast

I guess they could edit it in but at the same time gently caress you if you want to avoid persona spoilers it's been literally years

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, you don't need any editing to say, hey, spoiler alert before dropping spoilers. Not that the Culprit poo poo isn't dumb, mind you.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If I am listening to a pop culture podcast I am not gonna get mad about spoilers for a month old movie. I listen to pop culture podcasts because I want to hear people talk about pop culture and it's annoying when they have to have these weird tiptoe bullshit because some dude is mad someone dared talk about a movie they saw

A month old movie in the US. Not everything gets a same day release globally.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGqq0IstTFQ

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
jesus christ, the podcast is almost 4 hours long. Was matt the only reason why it stayed at "short" as it did

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Tae posted:

jesus christ, the podcast is almost 4 hours long. Was matt the only reason why it stayed at "short" as it did

Absolutely. Tons of podcasts end shortly after someone bringing up that Matt had to go to a thing, except the ones he leaves and they keep going for another hour or two.

The Ahegao Academy stream is wonderful, Woolie's fiancee is super fun.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Culture shouldn’t slow down and wait for you

This translates as "I don't care about other people, and that's their fault." Warning for spoilers is a basic, utterly inoffensive courtesy that requires no effort whatsoever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

This translates as "I don't care about other people, and that's their fault." Warning for spoilers is a basic, utterly inoffensive courtesy that requires no effort whatsoever.

I mean you'd have to care that other people would rather go see it themselves rather than hear someone else ramble about it in their car afterwards and completely misunderstand 70% of the movie in the recap.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Tae posted:

Matt hated how long the podcasts took. I recall when he was another podcast (I think it was Clemps'), he said "thank god this isn't like 3 hours long".

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Matt also just hated the podcast in general iirc

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

he straight up told us this in the original thread back when he posted here back in like 2015. i remember people floating ideas at him because he knew the fans loved it but personally hated being a part of it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm glad people still haven't realized that not everybody has the ability to keep up with every last piece of media that gets released, so gently caress you 15 year old kid, should have read Part 4 when it was publishing you absolute loving moron.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Matt was a coward and was holding them back

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

As someone who makes a two hour and change podcast on the regular I have no idea how the gently caress people either create or listen to a 4 hour podcast constantly. It's loving exhausting. My co-host is usually gassed after an hour fourty-five and if we go past like 2 hours and fifteen I start losing it.

Matt is absolutely not wrong about how long the podcast takes being insane.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Monathin posted:

As someone who makes a two hour and change podcast on the regular I have no idea how the gently caress people either create or listen to a 4 hour podcast constantly. It's loving exhausting. My co-host is usually gassed after an hour fourty-five and if we go past like 2 hours and fifteen I start losing it.

I mean I like the longer time it’s great for chores and work, but I can imagine that twisting in the wind for 3+ hours gets boring really fast. There’s certainly a sweet spot.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Woolie is keeping the FNF/SMS spirit alive: https://www.twitch.tv/woolieversus

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
The good thing about super long podcasts is you can stretch them out by listening in segments, and if you do it right you'll be finishing the previous one only a day or two before the next one is out.

But yeah 4 hours is a long time to talk, holy crap. That's 1/6th of a day.

Also, as a listener, it can be lame when they hit a topic you have no interest in whatsoever and you know they're going to talk about it for another 40 minutes or so (but that's not unique to these guys).

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

TexMexFoodbaby posted:

I mean I like the longer time its great for chores and work, but I can imagine that twisting in the wind for 3+ hours gets boring really fast. Theres certainly a sweet spot.

In my experience the sweet spot is like, an hour and fifty minutes to two hours and thirty minutes. Any longer than that and it gets really frustrating (both from an editing standpoint and a listener standpoint).

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

when did this turn into "talking around spoilers is obnoxious" to "never even warn people about spoilers ever"

I am 1000% down with long rear end podcasts and the longer the better

Monathin posted:

I think the reason why I don't mind their four hour long podcasts is because its not really a podcast as much as friends shooting the poo poo. Like, I spend four plus hours hanging out with friends talking about dumb poo poo the only difference is we don't record it

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Woolie said he's gonna play other fighting games later during this stream, including this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1nxnWEMiaY

Stay tuned

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Woolie is the hardest working man in the biz

Matt is boring and held him back

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

"talking around spoilers is obnoxious"

Hey I'm just jumping in to say I loving hate when they did this on the podcast (haven't listened to the new one yet). All it leads to is two people saying "Oh remember when THE THING happened?" "Oh yeah, and THE GUY said THAT LINE and it was awesome!" They then dance around mentioning literally anything but keep talking about THE THING for like twenty minutes.

It's non-content and it's maddening to listen to and yes I realize there's a pun right there about Woolie's last name and no I will not delete it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't even understand why this came up in the thread in the first place. They didn't dance around spoilers and they also signposted when they talked about them so both camps should be happy.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Matt is correct and good as usual.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't care if podcasts are long as gently caress because I'm only listening to them to pass the time while doing something else

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Dabir posted:

Matt was a coward and was holding them back

i shut off his new wrestling video halfway through. i cant get past his cheesy fake enthusiasm radio guy voice and bad script and his analysis is about as deep as a puddle so i don't know what the appeal is anymore. his stuff with liam is still fun.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Monathin posted:

talk radio people have to fill like four hours a day every weekday most of the time. does matt think putting 3 hours into a 16 minute video with nothing to say is better?

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Your Parents posted:

i shut off his new wrestling video halfway through. i cant get past his cheesy fake enthusiasm radio guy voice and bad script and his analysis is about as deep as a puddle so i don't know what the appeal is anymore. his stuff with liam is still fun.

He's trying to be both an analytical YouTuber and a funny one but he's just bad at both. I tried watching his Punch Out video but the humor was embarrassing and the informative parts were way less in-depth than the video Gaming Historian put out on the franchise a couple weeks earlier. https://youtu.be/XAwM-lCI4YU

I'm curious how far his name recognition can carry him if the videos he's put out recently are indicitive of what his solo channel is gonna be like.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I liked the Dante's Inferno mini lp thing he did because it was fun going through that game and having him point out neat info while playing that lame rear end game, but I can't say I think Matt's offhand comments trying to be humorous are that good compared to just blunt statements he'll make which are actually kind of funny sometimes. The Fallout 76 video was especially lame because it just kind of like... said poo poo that had already been heavily publicized by everyone? It felt really weird to do a video on something that recent, but I guess you gotta get the hits in while they're fresh?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They're all worse on their own but the last couple years together weren't great either so whatever.

I don't know why people are so surprised Woolie started cranking out videos and streams and whatever else, he wasn't left with much of a choice.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
matt owns the brand, right? so rather than just leaving the group like liam did, he blew it up instead?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Yeah Matt's fake hype grew stale really drat fast on his solo stuff, whereas his Bloodborne stream with Liam was fun. He just needs someone to bounce off of.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Matt seems to want to be a caddicarus or peanutbuttergamer and more power to him if its what he wants

I also suspect this is just a long money laundering con for his artist friends to make endless intros

Edit: I also agree his wha happun stuff has been probably the most disappointing. It's very surface level and deserve more thorough deep dives

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 16, 2019

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Captain Baal posted:

I liked the Dante's Inferno mini lp thing he did because it was fun going through that game and having him point out neat info while playing that lame rear end game,

I wanted to like it, but it was over-edited to the point of incoherence. I wanted to see just how janky and stupid the game was, but I never got a feel for it -- instead it was just these disjointed context-free vignettes of what I guess was stupid but mostly you've gotta take Matt's word for it.

And, like, he doesn't have to become a Dantean scholar or anything but man at least read the wikipedia page about the Divine Comedy instead of being like "I don't know why this is in here what is this" about things that are actually taken from the poem every 20 seconds.

I thought Woolie's solo podcast was surprisingly engaging and I hope he continues it.
edit: actually, Woolie's the only one making solo content I enjoy.

Bonaventure fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 16, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Bonaventure posted:

And, like, he doesn't have to become a Dantean scholar or anything but man at least read the wikipedia page about the Divine Comedy instead of being like "I don't know why this is in here what is this" about things that are actually taken from the poem every 20 seconds.

As an actual dantist I was annoyed by this too. I wished he had brought a friend who liked the book to give context about stuff, because the game actually does interesting things with the premise, such as the 9 level gauntlet at the end actually having context in the poem

but yeah, stuff like "this interpretation of suicides as trees is cool" or "I like how the center of hell is ice" were frustrating because these were ideas straight from the poem

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Baal posted:

I liked the Dante's Inferno mini lp thing he did because it was fun going through that game and having him point out neat info while playing that lame rear end game, but I can't say I think Matt's offhand comments trying to be humorous are that good compared to just blunt statements he'll make which are actually kind of funny sometimes. The Fallout 76 video was especially lame because it just kind of like... said poo poo that had already been heavily publicized by everyone? It felt really weird to do a video on something that recent, but I guess you gotta get the hits in while they're fresh?

I wonder if with 76 Matt wasn't just playing the numbers. In a year, people won't care nearly as much. (Probably.) There really was no backstage drama which is kind of the key to a good Wha' Happun? It was all very, very out in the open for all to see and enjoy.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

he always asks for suggestions via emails on what he should look at next and i just assume he got a bunch of people asking for fallout 76 because it's a trainwreck they know about.

because seriously who the hell else was still thinking about the guy game?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Liam's solo streams are great if you dig frequent chat interactivity. He's got a lot of viewers but not to the point of everything getting buried instantly. If you know when to time throwing in a question/comment and @ him he's been great about answering every single thing I've asked in chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Phantasium posted:

he always asks for suggestions via emails on what he should look at next and i just assume he got a bunch of people asking for fallout 76 because it's a trainwreck they know about.

because seriously who the hell else was still thinking about the guy game?

I keep harassing him to do a feature length documentary and retrospective of jake's booty call and he is a coward who wont do it