Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Sharkopath posted:

The board game power fantasy of having a lot of sheep and cows.

Endless acquisition is one of the basic foundations of video game fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The cows are very small and made of wood.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Abstraction helps sell the idea of control.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

in that one he makes a slime laundry company instead. it's very dull because the mc is functionally invincible and has amazing social contacts, so nothing in his life is ever remotely difficult or dangerous.

Okay is this an actual thing? If so, links?

E: gimme the GOD drat manga

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Okay is this an actual thing? If so, links?

E: gimme the GOD drat manga

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It's this one.

While the manga's not to the laundromat yet, we do see him do some garbage disposal and latrine cleaning.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I found it pretty boring, personally.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Ah, sweet, ty!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I wish there was one with any dramatic tension and that wasn't based on video game power fantasy.

I wish that you would quit going into threads that you have no intention of genuinely engaging with to get a rise out of people.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Nipponophile posted:

I wish that you would quit going into threads that you have no intention of genuinely engaging with to get a rise out of people.

I've engaged with the art and storytelling of these series a lot.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I wish there was one with any dramatic tension and that wasn't based on video game power fantasy.

Yep, the authors are clever enough with playing with tropes, making new rule sets, and the building interesting worlds, but they can't get off a gameplay loop of constantly upping the external stakes while leaving the internal drives as well defined as a lump of clay.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Seriously? This thread never learns does it?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You can trade wood for a cow, and then at the end of the turn you can turn the cow into meat to feed your family.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Wood for a cow... sounds dirty.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

You can trade wood for a cow, and then at the end of the turn you can turn the cow into meat to feed your family.

Yeah but what does my family get me?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Vonnie posted:

Yeah but what does my family get me?

More victory points, or sometimes more actions in a turn.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

I liked that one but I don’t remember it updating any time recently.

Several chapters dropped all at once a little while ago: http://read.egscans.com/Honzuki_no_Gekokujou/Chapter_018

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

sirtommygunn posted:

Several chapters dropped all at once a little while ago: http://read.egscans.com/Honzuki_no_Gekokujou/Chapter_018

Really like this series. Avoids most of the dumb isekai bullshit, and the setting is drat interesting.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

pnumoman posted:

Really like this series. Avoids most of the dumb isekai bullshit, and the setting is drat interesting.

Somebody on the forums is translating the LN. It starts out interesting, but then the pacing kind of suffers, and it starts to focus way too much on cooking.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 5, 2019

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
What do you have against cooking manga, mate?

Just caught up on it, didn't realize it was being done only on their website, which is dumb.
I kinda like it, but it's not something I'd die if i didn't read.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This thread has too much isekai and not enough of anything else. Let's fix that with some foxy grandpas.

Ojiichan-Shinanai is a fun little romance that's unfortunately in translation hell but for what's there it's fun. Story is about an old war hero who is visited by an angel aiming to help him pass on to heaven. Things do not go as she planned since the old man has a lot more vigor than she anticipated. She winds up moving in after promising to stay by his side until he's finally ready to croak to help guide him to the afterlife.

it's just a kiss...for now

Next one has resumed translations although it's on a monthly timer it would seem.
The Old Knight on the Border - Bard Loen
An aged knight renounces his assets and Position after 58 years of service helping to defend the kingdom at the border between humanity and a monster filled wilderness. The catalyst is that his title and prestige have once again attracted the harassment of one of the other local families seeking to overtake the land he's helped to defend. His goals after retirement are to travel around and seek out the daughter of his former benefactors one last time as well as just finding a peaceful place to pass on himself. Much like the Ojiisan from the above story, he's got a bit too much energy to just roll over easily, and the fact that he's still being pursued by the warring family after him doesn't help.

But this old war dog has his priorities straight even in the face of assassins, intrigue, and all kinds of supernatural shenanigans.

A good meal keeps the body active.

large oblate cat
Jul 7, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Somebody on the forums is translating the LN. It starts out interesting, but then the pacing kind of suffers, and it starts to focus way too much on cooking.

I doesn't focus on cooking too much, it's well balanced with :nms:malnourished orphans packed into locked rooms by the church and left to die in their own filth.:nms:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new ideal lazy life

not only do we get the newborn prince, but we also get JURASSIC PARK ATTACK!!!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
:3:

Also, new Sword-dad. Fran's a good girl, Urushi's a good dog and Amanda's... Amanda.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new slime isekai. I approve of this obnoxious new character.

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010
Continuing on the slime theme, here is a cute slice of life fantasy manga that I found enjoyable.
https://mangadex.org/title/29557/slime-life/chapters/

It's about a Witch and her cute slime.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

snipermonkey posted:

Continuing on the slime theme, here is a cute slice of life fantasy manga that I found enjoyable.
https://mangadex.org/title/29557/slime-life/chapters/

It's about a Witch and her cute slime.

this is a very powerful manga

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The Reincarnated as a Sword (Sword-dad) LN has been picked up by Seven Seas. Generally good news, though the translator I've been reading for the WN has decided to drop the series in respect, which is fine and good. It just would've been nice if it wasn't in the middle of an arc, in the middle of a battle. Oh well, at least the first volume comes out this August.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Do you think they'll cut the lovely homophobic/transphobic caricature?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
God, I hope. Maybe the LN's better to begin with? I'm probably too optimistic though.

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

:same:

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010
https://mangadex.org/chapter/523833/1

Slime getting ready for his first quest.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

New update, including a name change since the LN (which I found no English record of when I went looking) got licensed, though there's not a lot that happens. I like Mary though, so maybe it won't just be boring.

I'll probably give the LN a try when it's out next month, see if it gets bad.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I finally got around to reading Sekai Maou and just finished it. What a wonderful series, and one of my favorites of the "hero and demon lord" types, especially how it deals with that trope and trying to break free of it. While it did have a few real skeevy humor bits(mostly from the assistant), for the most part it was really wholesome, funny and wrapped up super strongly, while not dragging out too long to explain everything needlessly, has a great epilogue and the last page was just perfect. Highly recommended.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Apologies for the double post, but I've been reading It's My Life once I finished Sekai Maou after someone mentioned it in another thread, and it's a lot of fun most of the time. I voiced my issues with the bad taste gags (mostly "lol you pedo" jokes about astra living with a young girl he adopted) but it hasn't gone I down any skeevy roads with that, he just treats her as a daughter, which is perfect.

Anyways, I just read chapter 37, Ligaia, and it's a loving fantastic take on a tired old trope and had me guffawing by the end of it. Good stuff. I'm really hoping the series ends strongly since it finished at 11 volumes and it's at like 6 translated ones so far.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I'm happy its good. It's on my backlog right now and I hope to get to it soon.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Whenever you read a chapter, you should put on the metal or rock song/album it's named after in the background.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah I love that the doctor guy is named "motley feelgood" :v:

Lots of other little things, like the lightning magic spell literally being called Thunderstruck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
We need more pile bunkers in manga. Mech shows have it in abundance, but we can always have more