Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHO YA GOT
This poll is closed.
Patriots & Rams 23 10.36%
Saints & Chiefs 61 27.48%
Patriots & Saints 36 16.22%
Rams & Chiefs 102 45.95%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I'm all in on Rams/Chiefs, but could Rams/Pats be what finally puts the Patriots down for good? They were the ones who let this poo poo start in the first place. They can finally put right what once went wrong so many years ago. God I just want them to go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I wonder how much longer this search for dual threat QBs will continue considering outside of Wilson, not one has won a SB, Kaep got close and Cam shat the bed. Meanwhile pocket QBs stay healthier for longer and tend to have better careers, but take longer to develop so are probably counted as busts quicker

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

I wonder how much longer this search for dual threat QBs will continue considering outside of Wilson, not one has won a SB, Kaep got close and Cam shat the bed. Meanwhile pocket QBs stay healthier for longer and tend to have better careers, but take longer to develop so are probably counted as busts quicker

Cam didn't poo poo the bed; he took a helmet to helmet hit on every play from von miller because mike shula couldn't figure out protection schemes.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Cam is a special case since he spent years running like a tall power back and it mostly worked because he's a huge genetic freak.

Whippet looking dudes who run fast 40s briefly look amazing as dual threats and then die.

Wilson is less a running QB outlier, and more a guy who was always a good passer and just uses his running ability as a supplement.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

FizFashizzle posted:

Cam didn't poo poo the bed; he took a helmet to helmet hit on every play from von miller because mike shula couldn't figure out protection schemes.

He shat the bed because he "didnt want to hurt himself" by going for a fumble recovery

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

pat white deserves another chance

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ehud posted:

pat white deserves another chance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=690_YUwhqyw

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Wilson plays a ton like Aaron Rodgers

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jeez, I keep forgetting just how nasty that Pat White hit really was.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
So does he.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

CyberPingu posted:

Is there really a "search" for dual threat QBs? Am I missing something?

Every year around draft time for the past few years all I read about QBs is how well they can throw and if they can also run it's considered a bonus instead of a necessary quality.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah sure there are definitely teams and coaches that seek out running quarterbacks. Think of Philly's legacy with Cunningham, McNabb, Vick, and no Wentz. And elsewhere you have Lamar Jackson and to a lesser extent Josh Allen winning starting jobs and making headlines.

But also yes the problem is that they'll always eventually get hurt and have to develop into more of a pocket passer eventually. I think the idea though is that you can teach a quarterback to be a better passer but you can't teach them to be faster.

Nov 6, 2002

Yodzilla posted:

I think the idea though is that you can teach a quarterback to be a better passer but you can't teach them to be faster.

I think I have a problem with part of this idea. I think you can teach a quarterback to be a smarter passer and how to play in an NFL offense, but that's it. By the time they've graduated to the NFL it's nearly impossible to change anything about the way they deliver the ball. They've been throwing their whole lives, there's no way to suddenly change their accuracy, or their touch, or their longball, or any of the other passing characteristics that rely on muscle memory and body mechanics.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

CyberPingu posted:

The problem with saying X hasn't won a Superbowl is a flawed argument because its really loving hard to win a Superbowl, there's only been 52 of them played. The 2nd thing is it isn't one singular thing that wins you a Superbowl so you can't rule out QBs that run as that one thing that will never get you a championship. Also if you are going to take about dual-threat QBs you want to include Steve Young and John Elway.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Some guys are hardwired to run because they've been doing it for so long and it's been successful in high school and college.

Some can temper it and protect themselves, but for the ones who can't it's buyer beware.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

By the time they've graduated to the NFL it's nearly impossible to change anything about the way they deliver the ball.

Aaron Rodgers.

So clearly all you need to do is draft a quarterback that falls into your lap in the 20s and have him sit behind your hall of fame quarterback for a few years. No problem.

Nov 6, 2002

Grittybeard posted:

Aaron Rodgers.

So clearly all you need to do is draft a quarterback that falls into your lap in the 20s and have him sit behind your hall of fame quarterback for a few years. No problem.

This hasn't helped any of Tom Brady's backups.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

This hasn't helped any of Tom Brady's backups.

Hey, it turned Matt Cassel from a scrub college backup into a pro bowl NFL quarterback!

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i liked chip kelly's approach to offense wrt running qb's. use options and draws as a tool to keep the defense honest because as soon as it becomes a bread and butter play then you're just running your qb into a defensive end for 2-3 yards. i think what separates a running qb from everyone else is basically just the ability to make guys miss in space. your trick play turns maybe a 5-10 yard gain into a home run if you can cut and make the safety miss. russ has a good feel for this which is why all his bullshit runs are for like 20 yards.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

DariusLikewise posted:

The problem with saying X hasn't won a Superbowl is a flawed argument because its really loving hard to win a Superbowl, there's only been 52 of them played.

Amazingly hard. Even if your team is a god among men, the team has to win 3 games in a row to win the Super Bowl. If they have 75% chances of winning each game, which would be incredible (538 had no team with better than a 64% chance last weekend, for example), they would have only a 42% chance of winning the Super Bowl.

Getting to the playoffs is the sign of a good team. What happens after that has a lot to do with luck.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

DariusLikewise posted:

The problem with saying X hasn't won a Superbowl is a flawed argument because its really loving hard to win a Superbowl, there's only been 52 of them played. The 2nd thing is it isn't one singular thing that wins you a Superbowl so you can't rule out QBs that run as that one thing that will never get you a championship. Also if you are going to take about dual-threat QBs you want to include Steve Young and John Elway.

This makes me feel better

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DariusLikewise posted:

Two things:

1. in agreement, assuming every team won the super bowl, then didn't win until every other team won, it would be 32 years between them, so I tend to be a bit "eh, sure?" on "it's been a super bowl drought!"
2. in disagreement, there's been more super bowls than teams, so :v:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

ulmont posted:

Getting to the playoffs is the sign of a good team. What happens after that has a lot to do with luck.
Agreed. Make each round Best of 7. Extend football into July.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

What you want is a QB who runs TO pass. I place Russell Wilson and Rodgers in this category. There's also mobility in the pocket. I place Rivers and Ben in this category. Then there's throw the ball in 1.5 seconds to avoid pressure. That's Luck and Brady.

Nov 6, 2002

kiimo posted:

What you want is a QB who runs TO pass. I place Russell Wilson and Rodgers in this category. There's also mobility in the pocket. I place Rivers and Ben in this category. Then there's throw the ball in 1.5 seconds to avoid pressure. That's Luck and Brady.

Brady has way better mobility in the pocket than Rivers, Ben or Luck.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
Pats road playoff wins by QB

Tony Eason in 1985: 3
Brady 2001-2006: 3
Brady 2007-present: 0
Everyone else: 0

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

solarjetman posted:

Bledsoe had one

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

John DeFlippo coaching Nick Foles in Jacksonville would own actually

https://twitter.com/Rotoworld_FB/status/1085622610262675456

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

DariusLikewise posted:

John DeFlippo coaching Nick Foles in Jacksonville would own actually

https://twitter.com/Rotoworld_FB/status/1085622610262675456

It would be a loving waste. As a Rams fan you should know what Nick Foles does in a situation without WR or OL help.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Bledsoe had one

I think that counts as Brady's win since he got the start.

I don't remember this at all, I assume Brady must have gotten hurt? If he was replaced for poor play Bledsoe was worse, although he did throw the only offensive TD for the Pats.

e: yeah he must have gotten hurt, he went out in the middle of a drive with < 2 minutes left in the first half.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I can't stop watching clips of the Gase press conference and I may need an intervention

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
https://twitter.com/edelman11/status/1085614019942207490?s=21

Pats forced to manufacture hype and an underdog narrative, they nervous and scared as hell of my QB

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

Grittybeard posted:

I think that counts as Brady's win since he got the start.

I don't remember this at all, I assume Brady must have gotten hurt? If he was replaced for poor play Bledsoe was worse, although he did throw the only offensive TD for the Pats.

e: yeah he must have gotten hurt, he went out in the middle of a drive with < 2 minutes left in the first half.

I actually just forgot about the fact that Bledsoe played in that Pittsburgh game, I was just using pfr's team game finder.

Adjusted Brady road playoff wins: 2.5

Nov 6, 2002

solarjetman posted:

Sample size problem. The Belichick Patriots have barely played on the road in the postseason. :smug:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Pats forced to manufacture hype and an underdog narrative, they nervous and scared as hell of my QB
:patssay: NOBODY BELIEVES IN TOUCHDOWN TOM has been a thing since like 2003.

Nov 6, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

:patssay: NOBODY BELIEVES IN TOUCHDOWN TOM has been a thing since like 2003.

This year... it's real. :911:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

solarjetman posted:

I actually just forgot about the fact that Bledsoe played in that Pittsburgh game, I was just using pfr's team game finder.

There was a time when the Patriots lost a road playoff game to the Cleveland Browns

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

ELO Musk posted:

It would be a loving waste. As a Rams fan you should know what Nick Foles does in a situation without WR or OL help.

They have a long offseason to put something together. FA and the Draft both have a lot of great options for OL especially this year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

solarjetman posted:

Interestingly even though Kordell Stewart threw three picks none of them led to points. So if it wasn't for Pittsburgh special teams giving up a punt return TD and a blocked FG returned for TD we would likely be living in a world where Kordell Stewart owns a playoff win over Tom Brady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/AB84/status/1085630975579774982
https://twitter.com/AB84/status/1085632556463243269