Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

i get paid to shuffle money between hedge funds based on who was smart enough to hire me, its p. good

How much does shuffling money like this pay? Is this a sort-of-six-figures gig, or a, "I had a great quarter and earned 1.2 million," kind of gig?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

How much does shuffling money like this pay? Is this a sort-of-six-figures gig, or a, "I had a great quarter and earned 1.2 million," kind of gig?

For the Wease, I’m guessing the former. For the Wease’s boss, the latter.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

https://abovethelaw.com/2018/11/breaking-cravath-announces-annual-bonuses/

https://abovethelaw.com/2018/06/new-york-to-190k-no-cravath-didnt-make-the-first-move/

So e.g. a 3rd year associate would be at 225k on the new Cravath scale.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Welcome back maggot

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

For the Wease, I’m guessing the former. For the Wease’s boss, the latter.

yep, biglaw works out for me for some reason

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

nm posted:

At the PDs office, we didn't get it. We printed things out and used a sharpie and scanned it. It isn't that loving hard.

I make the interns use white out tape then Sharpie over it. Because it amuses me.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The term on my current job is coming up this year and I've got a couple options, including just staying where I am. Trying to assess and rank them has caused me to realize I have very little idea what I want, professionally

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lol Philly the cradle of American democracy

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Eagles suck rear end

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Louisiana, noted Clinton territory.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I was at the game in the endzone. :cool:

Will Lutz missing that field goal cost my buddy a million though.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Went on another interview today. Getting tired of this poo poo and the smiling and the platitudes and the worrying and the effort. loving give me a better job already.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Lote posted:

I was at the game in the endzone. :cool:

Will Lutz missing that field goal cost my buddy a million though.

That loving kick.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Whatup boolickers? It's a who dat nation and everyone else just lives here. End of transmission!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Saints spotted those schmucks two touchdowns and then proceeded to destroy all hope. Alvin Kamara was right.

Lmao

https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/1084632319174922241?s=21

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Eminent Domain posted:

That loving kick.

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/i...ing-final-wager

One guy had a parlay of under plus Saints to cover -9.5. Everyone else had Eagles +8.5. 9 points would mean both sides lose and he gets 1st. Brutal. It was wide by like 3 feet. Close enough that people right next to it inmy section thought it went through.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
For real a million dollars?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

[serious post] Another one of the people I knew from law school just passed away as a result of an overdose. He was (until quite recently) an associate at a very prestigious law firm. By the accounts of those closer to him, he suffered greatly from the incredible stress of his job, recently succumbed to alcoholism, then finally succumbed to this. It isn't clear if his death was accidental or intentional.

Outwardly he was a loud, enthusiastic go-getter type.

Our last conversation, a couple weeks back, was about the biglaw grind and his upcoming job search.

Don't go to law school.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Jesus that is terrible. No job or money is worth your sanity. Please reach out for help everyone.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Vox Nihili posted:

[serious post] Another one of the people I knew from law school just passed away as a result of an overdose. He was (until quite recently) an associate at a very prestigious law firm. By the accounts of those closer to him, he suffered greatly from the incredible stress of his job, recently succumbed to alcoholism, then finally succumbed to this. It isn't clear if his death was accidental or intentional.

Outwardly he was a loud, enthusiastic go-getter type.

Our last conversation, a couple weeks back, was about the biglaw grind and his upcoming job search.

Don't go to law school.

I'm pissing into the wind on this, but has there ever been any sort of honest conversation at large law firms that paying two associates $100,000 each for the work you're paying one person $180,000 for and halving the workload will likely produce better work product and keep associates longer?

It would probably never happen. Partners are cheap and greedy but more importantly type A dipshits will howl about "my prestige" and won't take the jobs.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Pook Good Mook posted:

I'm pissing into the wind on this, but has there ever been any sort of honest conversation at large law firms that paying two associates $100,000 each for the work you're paying one person $180,000 for and halving the workload will likely produce better work product and keep associates longer?

It would probably never happen. Partners are cheap and greedy but more importantly type A dipshits will howl about "my prestige" and won't take the jobs.

Yeah, no top tier law school grads who are willing to do the work of two $100,000 employees are going to want to take a pay cut. And you remove the possibility of being a high earner right out of law school from the table, so you get less competitive people in law school. All of that sounds sane to a normal person, but not to alpha dog law firms.

Also you wouldn't just split the big law salary in half because the cost to the firm is way more than that. That's health insurance and benefits for two employees instead of one. To make it cost effective, you'd pay two people $75-80k instead of one person $180k.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Pook Good Mook posted:

That's the midlaw model, except the workload is only reduced about 25% and associate salary is reduced about 30-50% depending on seniority level (with the deal getting rawer as seniority increases). I maintain it's much healthier to practice law like this than to Mookie it up and kill yourself before you're 40, but I'm also relatively poor for someone who's been practicing law at a relatively large firm for 8 years

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Also being senior counsel owns, I basically don't report to anyone anymore and I just kind of do poo poo and it's awesome

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

Yeah, no top tier law school grads who are willing to do the work of two $100,000 employees are going to want to take a pay cut. And you remove the possibility of being a high earner right out of law school from the table, so you get less competitive people in law school. All of that sounds sane to a normal person, but not to alpha dog law firms.

Also you wouldn't just split the big law salary in half because the cost to the firm is way more than that. That's health insurance and benefits for two employees instead of one. To make it cost effective, you'd pay two people $75-80k instead of one person $180k.

From the associate’s perspective student loans are also an issue. The price of a top-tier law school is calibrated to associate salaries at top-tier law firms.

If you’ve got $200k or whatever in student loan debt, you’d want the possibility of PSLF or something in exchange for such a dramatic pay cut.

also

Pook Good Mook posted:

Associate burnout is the crux of the entire business model. If you had associates stay for longer you'd either have to make more partners, in which case the existing partners have fewer equity shares, or you'd have to make a whole lot of associates counsel or non-equity partner, in which case you've got a bunch of people commanding high salaries but no one bringing in new business.

disjoe fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 16, 2019

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

Also being senior counsel owns, I basically don't report to anyone anymore and I just kind of do poo poo and it's awesome

This is basically partnership, except without the crushing and constant stress of business development or the massive free flowing orgasm that is end of year profit distribution

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Pook Good Mook posted:

You also have the same bullshit that people say about medical residents working 80-100 hour weeks - firms want their associates to see a massive amount of work because having a ton of experiences and work develops you as an attorney.

Firms would say that having an actually acceptable quality of life for two associates would mean you have two half-developed associates with insufficient experience, instead of one fully developed, experienced associate.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
My development as a lawyer had everything to do with the type of work I did and my command of English, and it had to do precisely gently caress all with the amount

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

SlyFrog posted:

You also have the same bullshit that people say about medical residents working 80-100 hour weeks - firms want their associates to see a massive amount of work because having a ton of experiences and work develops you as an attorney.

Firms would say that having an actually acceptable quality of life for two associates would mean you have two half-developed associates with insufficient experience, instead of one fully developed, experienced associate.

. . . who is going to leave in 4 years.

I get it, it's just so hilariously short-sighted and profit-driven.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

disjoe posted:

The price of a top-tier law school is calibrated to associate salaries at top-tier law firms.

and

Phil Moscowitz posted:

the massive free flowing orgasm that is end of year profit distribution

and

Pook Good Mook posted:

profit-driven.

Boom.

The short version of this conversation.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
I'd also add that throwing more associates at a matter adds ineffeciencies and information bottlenecks. If a matter has Task A and Task B, it's much easier to have one associate do both. Even worse if you have to split up a task that could be completed by one associate.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

I'd also add that throwing more associates at a matter adds ineffeciencies and information bottlenecks. If a matter has Task A and Task B, it's much easier to have one associate do both. Even worse if you have to split up a task that could be completed by one associate.

I thought racking up tons of duplicative associate billables was the whole point!!!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This is basically partnership, except without the crushing and constant stress of business development or the massive free flowing orgasm that is end of year profit distribution

THANKS FOR THE PEP TALK DAD

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

Clients also wouldn’t allow it. Mine at least pay a lot of attention to the total number of approved billers.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

RIP evilweasel, you flew too close to the sun

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

evilweasel posted:

here is the fundamental reality that morons like helsing et al keep eliding over and refusing to deal with: this is a democracy. to do anything, you need to win elections. to win elections, you need to have a majority of voters.

so when you start screeching and whining and bleating like a stuck pig that oh some of those voters aren't 100% behind what you want and so they've got to be thrown out and pushed to the other side, then you've got the problem of losing elections. what does that do? that puts republicans in power.

now these idiots will change the subject and start blaming democrats for getting us into this situation. what's wrong with that? well it shifts from a discussion of "given the world we live in today, how do we improve things" to a "lets whine like stupid morons about who deserves the blame in the past instead". even if they happen to have stumbled on their one right opinion every twelve hours, who cares? we don't have a time machine, we have the world we live in today. what's the best way forward? when asked, obviously you will get a whining answer that why should they have to answer, they're not the ones who hosed up a decade ago. well sure, then why are you giving an answer in the first place, stop talking if you can't be bothered to give an answer that makes any sense.

the correct, right-thinking answer of "compete everywhere and try to win everywhere" won the house of representatives this year. that is a huge step forward, and a large part of that was flipping suburbs. the "oh, i am a tremendous whiny baby who hates the suburbs, give those seats right back to republicans!!!!!" gets...more seats for republicans, and a thin democratic majority or a republican majority.

like, it is difficult to explain just how immensely idiotic the idea of "improve america by giving more seats to republicans" is, but when you've got helsing, vitalsigns, and ze pollak posting you're gonna get a nonstop stream of that.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I mean, i don’t think he was wrong.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That post was also from a month ago wtf

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean, i don’t think he was wrong.

No and the ban is ex post facto bullshit—mods moved the thread then said this month-old post broke the rules in the new sub forum.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
lmao

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
There were a lot of bans and permabans out of that thread last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Evilweasel should contact a lawyer for the appeals process. Where to find one though?

Nice piece of fish posted:

Went on another interview today. Getting tired of this poo poo and the smiling and the platitudes and the worrying and the effort. loving give me a better job already.

Also, didn't get the job. Recruiter called me overqualified but I think that's a lie, regardless there's no such thing just gimme a job I want.

E: We should all put our brains together and write an appeal to Lowtax. It could be funny. Could it be funny? It'd be funny if they banned him for even longer as a result too.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 17, 2019