Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

jesus WEP posted:

no joke i was typing up an email to the mailbag when he said that

Was the guy he referenced super famous or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

If you don’t pop for Dave’s sleeves story today I just don’t know

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jesus WEP posted:

If you don’t pop for Dave’s sleeves story today I just don’t know

Dave's wife owns :allears:

Also loved his attempt to explain the Alexa Bliss backstage segment: "It was an attempt to do a thing where I don't even understand what they were doing..."

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Bryan: It's just like that stupid angle on Smackdown where Mandy Rose comes out and she's in a towel. Go to her instagram and she's wearing nothing!
Dave:...She is?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/EverythingAEW/status/1085221491342495745

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
WHO!?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
New categories in the Observer Awards this year:

Women's Wrestler of the Year
Women's MMA Fighter of the Year
American Wrestler of the Year
Japanese Wrestler of the Year
Mexican Wrestler of the Year
European Wrestler of the Year

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
As in, Wrestler That Is This Nationality or Wrestler That Is In This Promotion That Is Based In This Country/Continent?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Everything Lashley related on WOR was tremendous.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

VJeff posted:

As in, Wrestler That Is This Nationality or Wrestler That Is In This Promotion That Is Based In This Country/Continent?

Hopefully, the most convoluted instructions possible are given.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

MassRafTer posted:

Yeah, if you don’t like that, WOR probably isn’t for you.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

VJeff posted:

It's the Observer Awards so they exist in an indeterminate state until Dave defines the actual rules, at which point readers will vote based on the opposite interpretation.
See: Overrated, Most.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

i could lose days listening to dave being simultaneously enthralled and envious of another man's body

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MassRafTer posted:

It was wonderful, although it makes me sad that the famous Lashley cheeseburger angle was just a work.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's weird that Dave felt the need to delineate between "model hot" and Toni Storm. She dresses exactly like Nikki Bella.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's weird that Dave felt the need to delineate between "model hot" and Toni Storm. She dresses exactly like Nikki Bella.
Yeah. She should be on the main roster and spending years in NXT is a bad idea. Nobody needed any analysis beyond "She's ready and it's a waste of time."

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Toni is pretty and blonde so I’m surprised McMahon isn’t talking her vs Ronda for Mania.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

coconono posted:

Toni is pretty and blonde so I’m surprised McMahon isn’t talking her vs Ronda for Mania.

That would also be a pretty loving awesome match so maybe his natural desire to find a pretty blonde who can't wrestle is overpowering him?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

It was the usual case where Dave's dumb mouth got in the way of the point he meant, although I don't 100% agree with that point anyway. His point was somewhere between "Toni's tomboy gimmick doesn't work after 30" which is the part I disagree with, at least in so far as if Triple H can get away with doing DX at 50, Toni Storm can totally wear a backwards ball cap at 30; and that WWE (mainly Vince and Dunn) don't get that any other kind of look for women is attractive or marketable beyond glam model. It's why Bayley floundered (her appeal was to little kids looking for a clean cut heroine) and why we're seeing the dumb T&A angles with Bliss and Mandy (who fit the exact 'type' WWE has always pushed). And given how they tweaked Ronda's makeup, and Toni's hair recently on their 'big show' debuts, I think it's fairly clear that they still have that narrow definition.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gaz-L posted:

And given how they tweaked Ronda's makeup, and Toni's hair recently on their 'big show' debuts, I think it's fairly clear that they still have that narrow definition.

To be fair, Ronda's makeup was terrible and made her look like a caveperson before. I agree with the Nobodies that they should just give her a natural/plain look and leave it at that because it suits her persona anyway.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dave's brain trying to say "I don't like her look" and avoiding a furor for saying as such is that particular bit of word salad.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh absolutely. He was trying not to really focus on the point that a big portion of the male (and I'd guess queer female) audience finds that tomboy look hot, and therefore it gets over. Hell, it's a big part of why Lita got over.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bryan's rant on the latest B&V Show about Cactus Jack was utterly bizarre. I get what he was trying to say but what an absolutely weird reason not to like what was a great promo in front of a hot crowd to build to what would be a fantastic match.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Bryan's rant on the latest B&V Show about Cactus Jack was utterly bizarre. I get what he was trying to say but what an absolutely weird reason not to like what was a great promo in front of a hot crowd to build to what would be a fantastic match.

I get it too but I feel like Bryan is forgetting that, at the time, the crowd bought into the idea that Foley's weird multiple personality disorder made a difference in how he wrestled (to the point he was allowed, in kayfabe, to be 3 different royal rumble entries). Like this is something they spent years doing, and went a lot more in on it than they did with Finn vs. Demon. That said Bryan's meltdown is hilarious especially Craig's low-key "mommy and daddy are fighting again".

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

The canon rant however was 5 stars

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

bryan alvarez is a dumb weirdo and that's what makes him great, as opposed to vinny who is a fairly normal human being driven mad by bryan at times, craig who is a normal human being, and dave who is such a weirdo it forces bryan to be normal

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Bryan is basically JJ Dillon in 1988 JCP telling everyone the Midnight Rider is Dusty Rhodes and baffled about why he's the only one that sees it, and it's great.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Angry_Ed posted:

Bryan is basically JJ Dillon in 1988 JCP telling everyone the Midnight Rider is Dusty Rhodes and baffled about why he's the only one that sees it, and it's great.

Yeah.

I disagreed with Bryan's point, mostly because I like to suspend disbelief for good stories, but I was very entertained by his rant.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Best part of B&V is the recap of Nash’s standup act, hands down.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

rare Magic card l00k posted:

vinny who is a fairly normal human being driven mad

I HAVE A VERY LARGE BRAIN!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've been watching a lot of Bryan and Vinny stuff on YT and I feel like I should maybe subscribe.

Do I get to listen to all of their audio stuff throughout history? Like, I've been looking for their old Raw and Nitro reviews on YouTube mainly but I've also seen Meltzer's review of WrestleMania from 2001 or something.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

NikkolasKing posted:

I've been watching a lot of Bryan and Vinny stuff on YT and I feel like I should maybe subscribe.

Do I get to listen to all of their audio stuff throughout history? Like, I've been looking for their old Raw and Nitro reviews on YouTube mainly but I've also seen Meltzer's review of WrestleMania from 2001 or something.

a sub gets you access to their entire archives which is at least 12 years

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah, subscribing gets you everything, every Bryan and Vinny, every Wrestling Observer Radio, every Wrestling Observer Newsletter (I think some of the really old ones might not be up, but Dave puts up back issues regularly I think). If you think you should, you probably should. It's a LOT of content.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Bryan is the type of guy that would get upset if Lex Luthor beat up Clark Kent only for him to come back as Superman.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Make sure to seek out the Sin Limite's with Dave and Mike Semperveve. As is pretty much always the case, no matter how irritating they might be on their own, somehow each member of the Observer/FFD team has really good chemistry when podcasting with Dave, and you often get more out there stories when it isn't Bryan the Takmaster Alvarez trying to get the podcast in audible and without dead air.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

every f4w audio show from 2005 onwards, every dave show since the merger, every observer from like 83-2001 with a few year gap then every observer to the present. its a huge amount of content

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

a sub gets you access to their entire archives which is at least 12 years

VJeff posted:

Yeah, subscribing gets you everything, every Bryan and Vinny, every Wrestling Observer Radio, every Wrestling Observer Newsletter (I think some of the really old ones might not be up, but Dave puts up back issues regularly I think). If you think you should, you probably should. It's a LOT of content.

remusclaw posted:

Make sure to seek out the Sin Limite's with Dave and Mike Semperveve. As is pretty much always the case, no matter how irritating they might be on their own, somehow each member of the Observer/FFD team has really good chemistry when podcasting with Dave, and you often get more out there stories when it isn't Bryan the Takmaster Alvarez trying to get the podcast in audible and without dead air.

yea ok posted:

every f4w audio show from 2005 onwards, every dave show since the merger, every observer from like 83-2001 with a few year gap then every observer to the present. its a huge amount of content

Alright I signed up with a one month subscription. Thanks for the advice.

I don't always agree with these guys but I love listening to them and I don't question their knowledge. They all seem to hate people I like though like Kevin Nash for example. Then again, I just watched the B&V review of Victory Road 2009 and died of laughter.
"AJ did a Garvin stomp, I think Nash fell asleep."

Ever since I got the Death of WCW audiobook I've really liked Alvarez's delivery. With Vinny and Craig he has a sort of...dryness to balance out how bombastic he can be. I love it.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 16, 2019

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CascadeBeta posted:

Bryan is the type of guy that would get upset if Lex Luthor beat up Clark Kent only for him to come back as Superman.

"HE JUST TOOK OFF HIS GLASSES AND WE'RE SUPPOSED TO THINK HE'S A DIFFERENT GUY!?! THIS loving COMPANY! GAH!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Angry_Ed posted:

Oh my God that's loving perfect :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

yea ok posted:

Th Observers start in the 1990 or late 89 IIRC.