Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Crazy that the government and banks are running the student loan scam out in the open and we all just have to acknowledge it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

"Are you a COOL and SMART investor or are you a DUMB and LAME investor. Buy gold, or else you're an IDIOT."

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
didnt buffet have a long encomium about how basically anything is worth more than gold for the money you put into it

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

bob dobbs is dead posted:

didnt buffet have a long encomium about how basically anything is worth more than gold for the money you put into it

"you can fondle the cube, but it will not respond"

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Crazy that the government and banks are running the student loan scam out in the open and we all just have to acknowledge it.

I mean, yeah, it's getting insane, but at some point people have to sit down with their children (:laugh:) and explain to them that you should go to school for a real job and play vidja games on the side instead of dropping six figures on student loans for a useless degree from a diploma mill.

Or, if you want to ~~live your dreams~~ you do it the way it used to be done - be the starving artist and get discovered/put in the hard work in a poo poo job like a roadie or a PA for a film producer and climb the ranks into a good career.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

BMan posted:

"you can fondle the cube, but it will not respond"

uh, same

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cacafuego posted:

I mean, yeah, it's getting insane, but at some point people have to sit down with their children (:laugh:) and explain to them that you should go to school for a real job and play vidja games on the side instead of dropping six figures on student loans for a useless degree from a diploma mill.

Or, if you want to ~~live your dreams~~ you do it the way it used to be done - be the starving artist and get discovered/put in the hard work in a poo poo job like a roadie or a PA for a film producer and climb the ranks into a good career.

It is tremendously stupid to rack up almost half a million in student loans (what the gently caress), but it shouldn't have been possible in the first place. We have more regulations on poo poo like scratch off tickets than we do student loans (except when it comes to repayment, in which case you are an indentured servant for life).

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It is tremendously stupid to rack up almost half a million in student loans (what the gently caress), but it shouldn't have been possible in the first place. We have more regulations on poo poo like scratch off tickets than we do student loans (except when it comes to repayment, in which case you are an indentured servant for life).
Surely it's unfair to allow lender's to be exposed to any risk whatsoever. How could businesses operate if they had to deal with the possibility that their ventures might not be successful?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Gonna go scream into the guillotine.txt thread like it's a pillow

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

BWM for all of us. New guy at work went to ITT Tech for 40k using the GI Bill for an associates degree. Yikes

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Oh yeah, I agree with you that it shouldn’t be possible. And as people see the folly of their ways, maybe they’ll teach their kids not to get into the same prhahahahhahahahahaha

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
We could fix a lot of this with some very simple regulations on federal student loans (not allowing them to go to for-profit colleges or Caribbean medical schools), but Betsy Devos and Virginia Foxx will never allow that to happen.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

We could fix a lot of this with some very simple regulations on federal student loans (not allowing them to go to for-profit colleges or Caribbean medical schools), but Betsy Devos and Virginia Foxx will never allow that to happen.

That's sort of odd because even Caribbean medical schools are with rare exceptions a very good career investment, and domestic medical schools in the United States have generally been unwilling or unable to educate an adequate number of physicians. I would guess that Caribbean medical school loans are overall a teeny tiny fraction of the overall student loan debt burden and an even tinier fraction of the delinquent or defaulted student loan debt.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I find it hilarious that you think democrats would do anything about student loans.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Got this chain email this morning.

"They say don't try to time the market, but you're so smart and handsome and smell nice so here's how to time the market!"

What's the overlap on people who like football enough to identify teams as Mighty and Evil (Take Your Meds for a thousand, Alex) and people who know enough about the stock market to recognize this bullshit, do you suppose?

Of course he's trying to sell precious metals. You should ask him from a burner email if he has any prep kit companies he likes for investing and report back.

George H.W. oval office posted:

BWM for all of us. New guy at work went to ITT Tech for 40k using the GI Bill for an associates degree. Yikes

Can you see if this guy has a pulse? How do you otherwise stay in long enough to get GI Bill and not get a free AS from the military?

For-profit schools should have been perma-banned from all federal funds. It's almost as if lobbying has fundamentally compromised the most basic functions of government.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 16, 2019

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

therobit posted:

I find it hilarious that you think democrats would do anything about student loans.

Yes, the party that chose Betsy Devos to run stuff is exactly the same as the party that created the CFPB and reduced IBR plan payments from 15% to 10% while also expanding the number of people qualified for the cap. Both sides, you see

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Droo posted:

Yes, the party that chose Betsy Devos to run stuff is exactly the same as the party that created the CFPB and reduced IBR plan payments from 15% to 10% while also expanding the number of people qualified for the cap. Both sides, you see

Hey look I hate your party and you hate mine so they're equal, duh

so much for the tolerant left

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Can you bail on a student loan by emigrating? At 140 or 400 goddamn k that seems like something someone would be looking into so I'm assuming no.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Droo posted:

I vote a straight Democratic Party ticket, but I don't think the party is going to go to any great lengths to piss off both the student loan industry and also the education industry. The party is owned by Wall Street since sometime in the 1980s. The Republican party may be owned by literal robber barons, but the question is how willing either would be to bite the hand that feeds.

If the dems were going to do anything substantive about the student loan crisis like allowing bankruptcy protection they would have done it when they had control of the house, senate, and presidency. They didn't.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

aphid_licker posted:

Can you bail on a student loan by emigrating? At 140 or 400 goddamn k that seems like something someone would be looking into so I'm assuming no.

Maybe? I dunno, I am sure there are plenty of English Teachers in China hiding from massive student loan debts in the USA.

therobit posted:

I vote a straight Democratic Party ticket, but I don't think the party is going to go to any great lengths to piss off both the student loan industry and also the education industry. The party is owned by Wall Street since sometime in the 1980s. The Republican party may be owned by literal robber barons, but the question is how willing either would be to bite the hand that feeds.

If the dems were going to do anything substantive about the student loan crisis like allowing bankruptcy protection they would have done it when they had control of the house, senate, and presidency. They didn't.

I think there will be more change, this is one of the first congress I can think of with multiple Millenial's entering and I still don't think older congressmen/women quite conceptually grasp the scale of student loans and college expenses compared to what it cost them in the 60's to go to school.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 16, 2019

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

therobit posted:

Not that I think the democrats are good at their jobs or anything, but

quote:

A supermajority is a filibuster-proof 60 or more Senate seats, allowing one party to pass legislation without votes from the other,

Don’t forget: the president needed a supermajority because of the Republicans’ unprecedented use of the filibuster as an obstruction tactic — they’ve used it more than 400 times.

But here’s the deal — the real deal — there actually wasn’t a two year supermajority.

This timeline shows the facts.

President Obama was sworn in on January 20, 2009 with just 58 Senators to support his agenda.

He should have had 59, but Republicans contested Al Franken’s election in Minnesota and he didn’t get seated for seven months.

The President’s cause was helped in April when Pennsylvania’s Republican Senator Arlen Specter switched parties.

That gave the President 59 votes — still a vote shy of the super majority.

But one month later, Democratic Senator Byrd of West Virginia was hospitalized and was basically out of commission.

So while the President’s number on paper was 59 Senators — he was really working with just 58 Senators.

Then in July, Minnesota Senator Al Franken was finally sworn in, giving President Obama the magic 60 — but only in theory, because Senator Byrd was still out.

In August, Senator Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts died and the number went back down to 59 again until Paul Kirk temporarily filled Kennedy’s seat in September.

Any pretense of a supermajority ended on February 4, 2010 when Republican Scott Brown was sworn into the seat Senator Kennedy once held.Do you see a two-year supermajority?

I didn’t think so.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Buying votes with other people's money is GWM.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

therobit posted:

Obama clamped down pretty hard on for profit colleges and a bunch of them were about to go bankrupt before Devos rolled back all his regulations and saved them.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

Obama clamped down pretty hard on for profit colleges and a bunch of them were about to go bankrupt before Devos rolled back all his regulations and saved them.
Well duh, they were giving her money. You can't just take somebody's money and not give them what they asked for. That'd be rude.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/15/silicon-valley-dad-renting-a-1500-dollar-apartment-for-daughters-2-cats.html

What the....

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Buying votes with other people's money is GWM.
I dunno, I don't think Trump's tax cuts are going to be that GWM for the country in the long run

Jan 11, 2004

That's really sad those cats must be lonely. Good thing it sounds like it's a temporary arrangement.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Do they make cat-sized guillotines?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

aphid_licker posted:

Look no further than one of my favorites: Student Loan Defaulters! https://old.reddit.com/r/studentloandefaulters/

https://old.reddit.com/r/studentloandefaulters/comments/acesb9/is_it_worth_it_to_go_to_an_expensive_private_art/ posted:

Hello,

I am a 22 year old who has taken several CLEP exams and I have been scared of not succeeding with going to college and I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life when I turned 18. Because of my CLEP exams I can finish within just 2 and a half - 3 years. I want to become an artist but unfortunately the only excellent art school that is actually worth it for an excellent art education likely to get you a job as a professional artist in my state is the private art school Ringing College of Art and Design. Although it is an excellent institution, it is very expensive but in comparison to other options it seems to be the only one worth attending in the state of Florida.

When it comes to computer animation, game art, illustration, and several other areas of art Ringling is far superior to anything else offered at any other university in Florida whether it be public or private and even in terms of fields like fine arts other public universities just do not get as much money and resources as Ringling does. The public universities for art are not bad at all as UCF has a decent animation program but most people don't get into it and UCF doesn't have anything else to offer me but FSU and UF are better but even so FSU and UF mainly offer fine arts degree but even a degree for animation or 3D art at those universities is not as good and the job placement rates based on what I looked up are either bad or not that great whereas Ringling will actually help me get to the professional skill level I need to get to to actually make it as an artist.

With that said, Ringling currently costs about $68,000 per year not including financial aid and other help that most students there usually get. Needless to say, most people graduate from Ringling with six-figure student loan debts and since I don't even like living in the U.S. and want to leave for Europe, Canada, and/or many other countries which as it turns out can free me from any sort of student loan debt whether from government student loans or private student loans and I am under no legal obligation to pay those loans and it never affects my credit score or finances as long as if I don't come back to the U.S. to work I am literally free from the absolute hell that is the U.S. I'm becoming fluent in German I think that as long as if I get the most of out my education and know that this is what I want to do with my life even though I may take out a lot in loans once I make connections through Ringling's career services which have people from all over the world come to interview students and can help me get a job at any time in my life even long after I graduate this should be worth it in the end as long as if I do well, get to a professional skill level, have an excellent portfolio, get my visa which can be for example the Artist Visa, and leave the U.S. and never come back I should be able to start living a happy life.

To everyone on r/studentloandefaulters, do you think this plan is worth pursuing and do you think art school despite being very expensive in the U.S. is worth it if I intend to leave the U.S. and if art school is my only or best option to get the higher education I need to become an artist as a degree is required or at the very least is very important in getting a Visa to leave the U.S.? Please give me your honest advice and help everyone! :)

Even the people who frequent the sub and are active in promoting default are against this dude's idea.

quote:

This is a terrible idea.

quote:

Hi, dude! I am a college graduate with a masters degree in art. The short answer is no, it is not worth it.

quote:

Don't. I repeat, do NOT do that.

dril posted:

No.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

It's literally called Ringling? As in there's a sucker born every minute?

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I'd like to point out that a sucker every minute would mean 526k suckers born per year. The University of Phoenix had a peak enrollment of 600k in 2010 which would be slightly above one quarter of the total market share of suckers, assuming an average of 4 years to get a degree.

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

Devonaut posted:

It's literally called Ringling? As in there's a sucker born every minute?

Surprisingly it is actually a decent and well respected art school.

Not worth 1/10th of the tuition price, but a good program at least. The real tragedy is, as is the case with most art schools, that 80% of the students have no business being enrolled there and all that money will just go to a talent-less blackhole. All for the price of lovely credit for the rest of your life!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Tomfoolery posted:

I'd like to point out that a sucker every minute would mean 526k suckers born per year. The University of Phoenix had a peak enrollment of 600k in 2010 which would be slightly above one quarter of the total market share of suckers, assuming an average of 4 years to get a degree.

Actually, this has some relevancy to what I’m looking for right now: are there any decent non-profit driven online universities? I need a couple of classes for my CPA license because I’m a dumb masochist.

Is the answer really as simple as, “Anywhere but University of Phoenix?”

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Most major universities have an online program.

Colorado State had a pretty big one.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Magissima posted:

Do they make cat-sized guillotines?
Yes. The ethical way to dispatch a 5-year old brown rat is with a cat-sized guillotine. Several of my labmates had them back when I was in grad school.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

spwrozek posted:

Most major universities have an online program.

Colorado State had a pretty big one.

Noted - luckily I'm in Boulder so that makes it a bit easier. Thanks!

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Only a $1500/month apartment? That's downright GWM compared to Chuck Blazer who had a condo in Trump Tower for his cats.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

aphid_licker posted:

Where would somebody with that much student loan debt emigrate to? Unless you have dual citizenship, it's not like you can just pack up and move to another country without a serious skill or employment offer (which means that you probably don't have that much debt or could pay it off in the US without much trouble). And unless you move to Australia or Canada, it's not like you're ever going to get citizenship in your new homeland, either (it's possible but it ranges from hard to drat-near impossible depending on the country).

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sepherothic posted:

Surprisingly it is actually a decent and well respected art school.

Not worth 1/10th of the tuition price, but a good program at least. The real tragedy is, as is the case with most art schools, that 80% of the students have no business being enrolled there and all that money will just go to a talent-less blackhole. All for the price of lovely credit for the rest of your life!

Yeah, Ringling is a decent art school but as stated, not GWM in the least bit.

I know a guy who walked away from an underwater mortgage and went to teach in China and then Taiwan, where he saves the equivalent of someone making around $60K a year and has no obligations to pay. His original plan was to come back after a decade but he got married so he's probably not coming back. As someone who lived overseas for several years with nothing like this hanging over him, this is a terrible idea and there are better options. People shouldn't exile themselves because they're BWM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 11, 2004

ChipNDip posted:

Where would somebody with that much student loan debt emigrate to? Unless you have dual citizenship, it's not like you can just pack up and move to another country without a serious skill or employment offer (which means that you probably don't have that much debt or could pay it off in the US without much trouble). And unless you move to Australia or Canada, it's not like you're ever going to get citizenship in your new homeland, either (it's possible but it ranges from hard to drat-near impossible depending on the country).

Not that I am really advocating this but there are a number of countries that offer more or less permanent or infinitely renewable visas, and many that have no real effective bureaucracy to hunt out visa overstayers who aren't causing trouble