Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Ehud posted:

lol if you think they killed off half their money making machine

well they legit killed peter parker in into the spiderverse :v:

e: should probably spoiler this into the spiderverse thing

Intruder fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Girlfriend has an interview Thursday at a place she thinks is really cool, kind of a start up, seems non-profit or something. But earlier today she got called by a recruiter, and that job is for a software company and would pay extremely well (they even said more than what she asked for!), plus better benefits. First one seems like less stress, second one sounds like a lot of money at hand with some stress (though FWIW, the glassdoor reviews speak highly favorably of the company). They said they would tell her tomorrow if they want to move forward. I want her to make the money, but I dont want her coming home miserable all day...

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
If the first one will pay enough, for whatever value is enough for y'all, then that seems like the right move.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Joey Freshwater posted:

Wait so he’s alive? I assumed this movie fit somewhere in the time between civil war and Infinity war. It takes place after?

Yeah, that's why Nick Fury is showing up in it rather than Tony Stark (because Tony is loving dead).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Qwijib0 posted:

If the first one will pay enough, for whatever value is enough for y'all, then that seems like the right move.

Sounds like the first one will pay the bills comfortably, and allow for some spending for fun activities. Second one would allow her to save for a house. So... it's tough.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

General Dog posted:

Yeah, that's why Nick Fury is showing up in it rather than Tony Stark (because Tony is loving dead).

Which means that Happy has gone from being the bagman for the richest man in the world to the personal assistant to a high school kid overnight, does he have a side heroin habit we don’t know about? You’d think his CV would warrant a little more attention

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

seiferguy posted:

Girlfriend has an interview Thursday at a place she thinks is really cool, kind of a start up, seems non-profit or something. But earlier today she got called by a recruiter, and that job is for a software company and would pay extremely well (they even said more than what she asked for!), plus better benefits. First one seems like less stress, second one sounds like a lot of money at hand with some stress (though FWIW, the glassdoor reviews speak highly favorably of the company). They said they would tell her tomorrow if they want to move forward. I want her to make the money, but I dont want her coming home miserable all day...

Interview at both places, get a feel for the teams and work, and make a choice off of that. You're making assumptions about both places -- what does "seems non-profit" mean? How do you know there will be more stress at the other job? Don't assume, just go in and ask questions, get offers and go from there. She can always tell the first place that you want to be there, but has another offer from place 2, can they come up with a better offer?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Thaddius the Large posted:

Which means that Happy has gone from being the bagman for the richest man in the world to the personal assistant to a high school kid overnight, does he have a side heroin habit we don’t know about? You’d think his CV would warrant a little more attention

He's there because he wants to bang Aunt May

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

General Dog posted:

If this was true, then we would all be there

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Marisa Tomei is up there with Kate Beckensale in the category of Yoooooo

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/WashPostPR/status/1085564733418283009

the gently caress

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Actually surprised this doesnt happen more often tbh

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/733974704445358080

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sony's Marvel's Spiderman 3: Jon Favreau is Spiderman's Dad Now

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Whoa. I'm gonna go out on my lunch break and try to track one down.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

He could've posted this yesterday and I wouldn't be surprised. Like, "I expect this to be taken care of by the time I get back or heads will roll!"

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

General Dog posted:

Fair, I mean, what woman wouldn’t be into the grown man spending his time hanging around her teenage nephew

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Blitz7x posted:

Marisa Tomei is up there with Kate Beckensale in the category of Yoooooo

I love Marisa Tomei but even at her My Cousin Vinnie best she was never on Kate Beckinsale level

Played pickup last night, before bed my calf was a bit tight so I did some stretches and massaged it a bit, this morning it's a loving knot, this sucks

General Dog posted:

Honestly I think it's not that, it's because against all odds we've reached the point where Samuel L Jackson is a much cheaper get than Robert Downey Jr

e: also, I wonder if Hydroman is actually in the new movie or if it's literally all Mysterio

Hydroman is not a character I ever expected to see in a movie

Intruder fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 16, 2019

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Whoa. I'm gonna go out on my lunch break and try to track one down.

https://twitter.com/Ngree_H0bit/status/1085548914584047616

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
That would be a really effective prank if these were the days before the advent of the loving transistor radio.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Wrestling is good

https://twitter.com/wrestlesplania/status/1085564365007437824?s=19

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Neil Armbong posted:

Interview at both places, get a feel for the teams and work, and make a choice off of that. You're making assumptions about both places -- what does "seems non-profit" mean? How do you know there will be more stress at the other job? Don't assume, just go in and ask questions, get offers and go from there. She can always tell the first place that you want to be there, but has another offer from place 2, can they come up with a better offer?

The first company is funded by some angel investor, and is a watchdog company of some sort, so I'm not exactly sure what you classify it as. The second job I'm basing a bit off of glassdoor reviews, where a lot of people say its fast paced and work life balance can sometimes suffer (but to be fair, those are mostly for people in sales, and she would be HR). I'm sure she could counter offer anything from the first company but they wont be able to offer anything close based on the difference.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

seiferguy posted:

The first company is funded by some angel investor, and is a watchdog company of some sort, so I'm not exactly sure what you classify it as. The second job I'm basing a bit off of glassdoor reviews, where a lot of people say its fast paced and work life balance can sometimes suffer (but to be fair, those are mostly for people in sales, and she would be HR). I'm sure she could counter offer anything from the first company but they wont be able to offer anything close based on the difference.

Gotcha. If they're not a 501 (c), they're going to be for-profit at some point. But good luck to her/y'all, having potentially multiple offers to consider is a good, albeit stressful, place to be.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ok so just saw a trailer for Alita: Battle Angel for the first time and oh god I've never seen such a perfect illustration of the uncanny valley

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The older I get, the more depressing it becomes by how confused my students are when explained dial up internet

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

Ok so just saw a trailer for Alita: Battle Angel for the first time and oh god I've never seen such a perfect illustration of the uncanny valley

It's like they tried to make a real life anime character.

Edit: did not realize this was an actual anime so this all makes sense now

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 16, 2019

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

"The internet would stop working when someone picked up the phone" does seem difficult to explain if someone has no context for landlines.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Intruder posted:

Somehow they've been running trailers for this movie for literally 14 months.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

seiferguy posted:

It's like they tried to make a real life anime character.

Edit: did not realize this was an actual anime so this all makes sense now

lol

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

"The internet would stop working when someone picked up the phone" does seem difficult to explain if someone has no context for landlines.

I blew their mind when I explained the internet used to be something you had to consciously choose to turn on and off

I played the old AOL dial-up modem sound and asked if they knew what it was

they answered broken radio :negative:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Intruder posted:

you know it's gonna be a good movie when youve seen trailers for it for like 3 years

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

This is another, more successful timeline/dimension leaking into our own.

Has anyone seen Wilson Fisk lately?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I blew their mind when I explained the internet used to be something you had to consciously choose to turn on and off

I played the old AOL dial-up modem sound and asked if they knew what it was

they answered broken radio :negative:

Ask them if they know the actual name for the # sign

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Blowjob Overtime posted:

DAD I'M TRYING TO FARM SARNAKS AT LAKE OF ILL OMEN

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

A buddy of mine taught in Japan via JET for a bit, came back to the US to get an MBA, and is now starting his first adult job search. His college advisor told him that the new standard with regards to references is to have 6 and also list them directly on the resume.

Am I crazy in thinking that seems ill advised? I have never heard of anyone suggesting putting the references on the resume, and I can't imagine that a bunch of names and phone numbers would trigger the word search algorithms in a positive manner when he applies. Also lol at expecting a dude to have 6 references when he has been out of the country or in school for his entire adult life.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

a neat cape posted:

DAD I'M TRYING TO FARM SARNAKS AT LAKE OF ILL OMEN

what race and class tho

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
I can't remember the last resume I looked at that had references

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Shadow225 posted:

the new standard with regards to references is to have 6 and also list them directly on the resume.

I don't know if it's specific to that industry, but in general this is laughably wrong. Have three references, don't put them on your resume, a hiring manager will ask you if they want them.

How old is his advisor? Not to dump on said advisor too hard but it sounds like the kind of job-hunting advice you'd get from someone who hasn't had to job hunt in 10+ years.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

I don't know if it's specific to that industry, but in general this is laughably wrong. Have three references, don't put them on your resume, a hiring manager will ask you if they want them.

It's this. They'll ask for references when they want/need them.

I had a resume for a senior position where they were still listing college accolades like gpa/honors/etc, instead of just college, degree, date.