Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

These people have a wealthy of faulty information at their fingertips in the form of crazy-person blogs/youtube videos. They can go way deeper watching videos that enforce their confirmation bias and kind of make sense at a surface-level but don't hold up to scientific scrutiny and learn lots of totally incorrect tidbits they can toss out.

I guess it's just that the word belief encompasses several things. I think if I had messed with that girl I 100% could have forced her to expand her dog breeding theories and 100% of them would have been off the chart insane if you explored the mechanics of how that could work. I think if you asked her she'd give an answer. But none of that stuff would have been much of anything. Just off the cuff whatever answers and not stuff she thought or ever thought about before.

Like with pushing I am 100% sure I could get her to generate a story where thousands of years ago some group rounded up all the dogs into a warehouse and ran a multigenerational plot to make slightly more money by slowly releasing dogs. And probably even more bonkers side stuff. But like, eh. None of that was real stuff she thought or cared about. The evolution part was the thing. Everything else was whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

These people have a wealthy of faulty information at their fingertips in the form of crazy-person blogs/youtube videos. They can go way deeper watching videos that enforce their confirmation bias and kind of make sense at a surface-level but don't hold up to scientific scrutiny and learn lots of totally incorrect tidbits they can toss out.

This is exactly how you end up thinking that not only do gyroscopes disprove the round Earth, but it's common knowledge that they do.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I see people in FE groups giving answers based in faulty physics, then when asked for clarifying details, they respond with "lol i dunno im bad at math" and a link to a youtube video.

I had a flat earth guy try to teach me about some "basic physics" as he put it, and proceed to completely ignore the concept of mass in his ideas. He seemed surprised that mass increased force. I don't remember now but isn't that like the first lesson in Physics?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

wow I haven't seen this map in years and didn't remember it being so alt-righty

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I had a flat earth guy try to teach me about some "basic physics" as he put it, and proceed to completely ignore the concept of mass in his ideas. He seemed surprised that mass increased force. I don't remember now but isn't that like the first lesson in Physics?

I mean obviously position and velocity would have to come first so like...we're talking at least a week here!

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Brendan Rodgers posted:

They say "everything explained by gravity can be explained by buoyancy and density". Except "gravity" is part of the equation for buoyancy. And if asked why things fall "down" instead of some other direction, they revert to tautologies. "Down is down".

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Pssh that's just illuminati physics LIES

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They say "everything explained by gravity can be explained by buoyancy and density". Except "gravity" is part of the equation for buoyancy. And if asked why things fall "down" instead of some other direction, they revert to tautologies. "Down is down".

The enemy's gate is down.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
You guys should watch Scimandan on YouTube. He dunks on flat Earth people like none other.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRtsZ5Iak9wSLsQLQ3XOAeA

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

What's the flat earth consensus on global warming?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The flat disc-earth is accelerating upward at a constant 32ft/sec2, which according to general relativity is indistinguishable from an external gravitational force acting on the earth's reference frame, idiot :smug:

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

The flat disc-earth is accelerating upward at a constant 32ft/sec2, which according to general relativity is indistinguishable from an external gravitational force acting on the earth's reference frame, idiot :smug:

NOPE. That's what the flat earth society claims, but the FES is controlled opposition to discredit the FE community by making them look dumb.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

What's the flat earth consensus on global warming?

Freemason lies.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Low Desert Punk posted:

this is true and the insane fuel requirements of the aviation industry is a money laundering scheme

Uh planes fly using compressed air globetard.

And direct flights from Australia to South America don't really exist, they're just on the schedules to hide the flat earth. Anyone who says they have been on one is just a crisis actor.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

Uh planes fly using compressed air globetard.

And direct flights from Australia to South America don't really exist, they're just on the schedules to hide the flat earth. Anyone who says they have been on one is just a crisis actor.

It always amuses me when they look at flight paths that "don't make sense" as proof of a flat earth, because they don't understand how map projections work and if you mentally take a mercator projection and wrap it around a sphere, suddenly the flight paths make a LOT of sense. And also that flight paths are informed by rules and regulations about not being too far from land in case of the need for an emergency landing.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I love how they had so much trouble trying to explain how a sunset is possible in their "model" and why you can't see the sun at all times that they just said hosed it and claimed that sunlight bends downwards after it has travelled in a straight line for a while. Like, the sun just goes gently caress it and crashes to the ground after 300 km(but only sunlight does this)

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I love how they had so much trouble trying to explain how a sunset is possible in their "model" and why you can't see the sun at all times that they just said hosed it and claimed that sunlight bends downwards after it has travelled in a straight line for a while. Like, the sun just goes gently caress it and crashes to the ground after 300 km(but only sunlight does this)

The explanation I most commonly see is "vanishing points", not what you're saying.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Some of the icewall people think global warming is real. They dispute the global part but climate change just means that our sinkhole in the ice becomes uninhabitable.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like, I knew a girl who was homeschooled ultra christian, she grew up super sheltered. Her disbelief in evolution included a side thing where like, dog breeding was a scam. That it was just a thing people made up, and they just released new dog breeds slowly to make more money.

Man, she didn't even get the good ultra Christian talking points. Everyone knows that the response to this is "Uh yeah of course microevolution exists, because all those different dog breeds are all still dogs, but you could never breed a dog until it turned into an alligator, and that's why macroevolution is a lie."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Twelve by Pies posted:

you could never breed a dog until it turned into an alligator

Speak for yourself. I do it all the time.

…Oh. You said breed.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Twelve by Pies posted:

Man, she didn't even get the good ultra Christian talking points. Everyone knows that the response to this is "Uh yeah of course microevolution exists, because all those different dog breeds are all still dogs, but you could never breed a dog until it turned into an alligator, and that's why macroevolution is a lie."

That whole family was like, the movie dogtooth. They lived in a secluded cabin in the middle of the woods. Like, not figuratively the middle of the woods, but like, there was no roads to it. But the oldest daughter was extremely extremely gay so escaped and went to college where she was my friend (we went on like 2 dates before she very correctly decided she was really gay) and was like a weird time traveler who only knew 80s media. Then the dad died and they all kinda got out into a regular cabin in the woods but like, with a road and stuff. Then the youngest sister wanted to marry me, and like treated that as a thing, without having ever met me, only from the stories of the older sister having gone on a date. As I was like, the only boy in this whole story?

End of the story is that the older sister now has a wife and two kids and the family still seems to not know she is gay and thinks they are like, room mates that are good christians adopting children and like, sacrificing their space for their kids so they heroically share a bed and it's like the most weirdly cute ignorance ever. Like I am sure they are homophobic as gently caress but they are all sheltered to the point they seem to literally not know their biker daughter with barbed wire tattoos and with a wife and kids is gay, even having met her wife and kids and having been do her house. Like they are supportive of her? by being so extremely dumb.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
It's pretty funny to me that flat earthers are generally coriolis effect deniers.

I think part of it is technology right? Like if you were getting killed in a 20th century naval battle in the southern hemisphere because your tables weren't updated to reflect opposite coriolis effect, you're probably going to be more receptive to its reality than, say, someone who thinks globetard computers lie to you about the math they're doing for rocket telemetry and poo poo.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Why are you talking about the earth being flat?

Q already said that it wasn't.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

svenkatesh posted:

Why are you talking about the earth being flat?

Q already said that it wasn't.

They already decided that was a head fake to throw off the globalists.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

End of the story is that the older sister now has a wife and two kids and the family still seems to not know she is gay and thinks they are like, room mates that are good christians adopting children and like, sacrificing their space for their kids so they heroically share a bed and it's like the most weirdly cute ignorance ever. Like I am sure they are homophobic as gently caress but they are all sheltered to the point they seem to literally not know their biker daughter with barbed wire tattoos and with a wife and kids is gay, even having met her wife and kids and having been do her house. Like they are supportive of her? by being so extremely dumb.

They know. They just act like they don't because the alternative would be to call her out on it and having to black list her from their life.

I know three different families that all do the same thing.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Man, watching some idiot in 2016 take a spirit level on a plane to try to prove flat earth was absolutely awesome and hilarious. I couldn't get enough of it. And then Trump won and Pizzagate happened and the gravity of the situation finally started to set it :(
I used to have a large collection of wacky conspiracy-theory and new-age books I had accumulated from the local book liquidator. Nothing Protocols of Zion or stuff, just the various weird ones. I found them in the fall cleaning out the basement and threw them all into recycling - that stuff just isn't funny anymore.

The Narrator posted:

I would think (or hope) that their crew is a professional ship crew doing just their job and ignoring the insanity of the promotion surrounding the cruise.
Theme cruises are just like conventions, only instead of hotel staff, it's cruise ship staff having to put up with these people. Most of those cruises are niche so it's only a small portion of the passengers actually attending the event. They get their own function rooms and events going on, and in many cases the rest of the cruise will be none the wiser it's even going on besides a "welcome to the _______" announcement as part of the welcome event.

I feel bad for the regular folks who booked a cruise and when they go to each morning travelogue they will have to deal with angry people trying to shout down their position on a map. On the other hand cruises can get pretty boring, so maybe this will liven things up.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

James Woods posted:

I've been thinking I should start a kickstarter for an expedition to the ice wall to determine whether the earth is flat. I'd bring along one of their "researchers" to navigate and ensure that we're going true North and not using GPS. I could even bring along an ice wall climbing expert for when we get there. I'd even steam the whole thing so we can break the news to the world live. Of course I would only pay myself a modest salary as mission commander and would keep an open mind about our findings. All I need is a ship captain with a sense of humor.

Seems someone got to the punch before me.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tormented posted:

They know. They just act like they don't because the alternative would be to call her out on it and having to black list her from their life.

Maybe? that always seems like the most obvious thing but at the same time they are people who lived for decades alone in a cabin with no road to it or electricity or television. They are the only people on earth that I would ever actually accept "oh wow, they don't actually know" the same way that girl wasn't lying in thinking dogs are held in a scam dog warehouse and given a slow release schedule while pretending you can breed dogs.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Just a reminder of who Sarah Ruth Ashcroft is; she was a random crazy on Twitter who the Qult stumbled on to and latched on to as a child survivor of The Cabal because she claims she is estranged from her parents because her dad used MKULTRA to take control of her mind and rented her as a child slave / blood and brain goo harvesting victim to Tom Hanks for years until her will and god allowed her to break out of her years long hypnotic trance. She is a very mentally ill person who was completely unrelated to Q and is now being told her delusions are all correct and held as a mythical prophet. Her well being is honestly in danger thanks to Q nonsense

A while ago there was a most likely schizophrenic former bit-part reality show actor named Isaac Kappy who a whole bunch of these wackos were retweeting who:

-Had a restraining order issued against him by Paris Jackson in early 2018 after allegedly choking her at a Hollywood party.

-Became convinced that various celebrities he had passing encounters with were part of the Satanic Pedo Elite. (Being encouraged and egged on to “name names” by the Qultists following him)

-One night a few months after he started tweeting was apparently holed up in his apartment in LA with an AR-15, convinced that a police siren that he heard outside meant that the Satanic Cabal was sending agents to come and kill him.

-Was banned from Twitter.

-When last heard from, had apparently moved to Australia to live with a woman claiming to be a survivor of ‘80s Satanic Ritual Abuse who he had met over the internet.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

It always amuses me when they look at flight paths that "don't make sense" as proof of a flat earth, because they don't understand how map projections work and if you mentally take a mercator projection and wrap it around a sphere, suddenly the flight paths make a LOT of sense. And also that flight paths are informed by rules and regulations about not being too far from land in case of the need for an emergency landing.

In the Hbomberguy vid he points out that basically every plane would crash somewhere in the middle of the ocean.

I'm watching the SciManDan vids and holy poo poo these Flat Earth people are loving stuupppppppid. Like every one of the arguments they present is "well, I don't think its real so therefor EARTH FLAT". The videos I've mentioned before really went out of their way to make these people look not nearly as willfully stupid.

All the stupid fiddle with pictures of the moon in photoshop, proves fake! reminds me of the proto chuds that did the same thing with Obama's birth certificate, fiddling around with basic settings in ms paint trying to prove it was a fake.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

stillvisions posted:

Theme cruises are just like conventions, only instead of hotel staff, it's cruise ship staff having to put up with these people. Most of those cruises are niche so it's only a small portion of the passengers actually attending the event. They get their own function rooms and events going on, and in many cases the rest of the cruise will be none the wiser it's even going on besides a "welcome to the _______" announcement as part of the welcome event.

I feel bad for the regular folks who booked a cruise and when they go to each morning travelogue they will have to deal with angry people trying to shout down their position on a map. On the other hand cruises can get pretty boring, so maybe this will liven things up.

The thing about most cruises is that they are full of olds and pretty much on any cruise a non-zero number of them die. I used to date a girl who was a croupier on a cruise ship and she said that when the staff got ice-cream for their meals, it meant that the freezers were too full because they were being used as temporary morgues.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

In the Hbomberguy vid he points out that basically every plane would crash somewhere in the middle of the ocean.

I'm watching the SciManDan vids and holy poo poo these Flat Earth people are loving stuupppppppid. Like every one of the arguments they present is "well, I don't think its real so therefor EARTH FLAT". The videos I've mentioned before really went out of their way to make these people look not nearly as willfully stupid.

All the stupid fiddle with pictures of the moon in photoshop, proves fake! reminds me of the proto chuds that did the same thing with Obama's birth certificate, fiddling around with basic settings in ms paint trying to prove it was a fake.

Watch CoolHardLogic. He has a brilliant series that is sorta math heavy but easy to understand, even for the flat earthers.
I think he's the first who started mentioning flight paths prove its a globe.
Also the guy who got a response video from a 'popular' flat earther who selected something mundane in the first 5 minutes to complain about, then waved away the rest away without looking at it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

happyhippy posted:

Watch CoolHardLogic. He has a brilliant series that is sorta math heavy but easy to understand, even for the flat earthers.
I think he's the first who started mentioning flight paths prove its a globe.
Also the guy who got a response video from a 'popular' flat earther who selected something mundane in the first 5 minutes to complain about, then waved away the rest away without looking at it.

Interesting. I've noticed that there are a lot of black people (for Conspriacys at least) involved in Flat Earth. I wonder if its because its one of the few that doesn't feature at its heart White Supremacism?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

happyhippy posted:

CoolHardLogic

is this guy gonna digress into bitcoin/race science or is it just an unfortunate name

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

Interesting. I've noticed that there are a lot of black people (for Conspriacys at least) involved in Flat Earth. I wonder if its because its one of the few that doesn't feature at its heart White Supremacism?

Never noticed anything like that now.

Peanut Butler posted:

is this guy gonna digress into bitcoin/race science or is it just an unfortunate name

Thou doubts thy divine power of the block chain?
And nah, he doesn't.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Helen Highwater posted:

The thing about most cruises is that they are full of olds and pretty much on any cruise a non-zero number of them die. I used to date a girl who was a croupier on a cruise ship and she said that when the staff got ice-cream for their meals, it meant that the freezers were too full because they were being used as temporary morgues.

If this is normal why don't they have a normal morgue on board?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

If this is normal why don't they have a normal morgue on board?

They do (well, they have space dedicated for it in the ship's freezers), if more than the usual number of people die though, they have to repurpose food space as well and you can't have corpses stacked up next to Haagen Dasz, so the crew get to eat whatever they had to move out the way.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

happyhippy posted:

Thou doubts thy divine power of the block chain?
And nah, he doesn't.

oh rad
p wary these days of youtube people touting logic

also did everyone know that Q left a time-travelled message on these very forums, mocking us for following Qanon?

:q:

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

They do (well, they have space dedicated for it in the ship's freezers), if more than the usual number of people die though, they have to repurpose food space as well and you can't have corpses stacked up next to Haagen Dasz, so the crew get to eat whatever they had to move out the way.

Jesus Christ. I get my rear end handed to me by the health inspector if one of my guys leaves a box of tomatoes on top of a spare keg or if a date label on some salad dressing isn't facing forward in the walk in. If a corpse was ever in there the place would have to be burned down for the insurance money because we'd never get our license back.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

That's probably why they're registered in countries that don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Generally, try not to look down on conspiracy theorists too hard. With the exception of the ones with mental illnesses, these are people that are every bit as intelligent as you are. These people were just exposed to this information in a particular emotional or contextual state that pushed them into it - they didn't have the critical thinking tools or outside information sources to fight it, or they were in an especially vulnerable state when they were targeted. The incredible, infinite rationalizations you're seeing are the functions of a healthy brain burdened by trying to reconcile incredibly unhealthy beliefs.

Thinking that you're immune to these messages or ideas, or thinking that you're innately better than the believers in some way, will actually make you more susceptible to similar beliefs that are targeting your weaknesses. A cornerstone of every single deceptive messaging design is to appeal the the target's sense of rational superiority - that they are the people smart enough to understand and figure out and justify the truth of the messenger's claims. That's why the Q supporters love "finding the hidden messages", in the same way that Musk supporters like rationalizing how each move by Tesla is part of a brilliant, disruptive strategy, in the same way that Alex Jones and RT viewers think they can ignore the bullshit and get the "real stories the mainstream media won't cover". The Alt-Right, New Atheism, Musk, there are plenty of people out there who specifically target audiences who "know they're smarter". Being smarter doesn't help all that much.

None of us are immune to this. We're just lucky.

(Note I am not saying that Qs aren't also hilarious)

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 17, 2019