Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Lovecraft wrote the way he did because he was a massive pearl clutching racist who was afraid of everything. If he had been sane, I don't think that he would have written as good horror books. His later life coincided with Hitler's rise to power, and he wrote about Hitler on many letters. Here's one of them:

quote:

Lovecraft on Hitler (1933)

As for Germany today—to call it a “madhouse” is to exaggerated in the grossest fashion. The details of Nazism are deplorable, but they do not even begin to compare in harmfulness with the extravagances of communism. You seem to forget that most of the German people are quietly going about their business as usual, with a much better morale than they had last year. If the Nazi destruction of certain books is silly—& there is no reason to deny that it is—then there is no word to express the abysmal idiocy & turpitude of the bolshevik war on normal culture & expression. Germany has not even begun to parallel Russia in the destruction of those basic values which Western Europeans live by.

When I say I like Hitler I do not imply that his is a & blindly against the disintegrative forces which more educated & sophisticated people accept without adequate evidence as inevitable. His neurotic fanaticism, scientific addle-patedness, & crude gaucheries & extravagances are admitted & deplored—& of course it is quite possible that he actually may do more harm than good. Once can scarcely prophesy the future. But the fact remains that he is the sole remaining rallying-point for German morale, & that virtually all of the best & most cultivated Germans accept him temporarily for what he is—a lesser evil at a special & exacting crisis of history. Objections to Hitler—that is, the violent & hysterical objections which one sees outside Germany—seem to be based largely on a soft idealism or “humanitarianism” which is out of places in an emergency.

This sentimentalism may be a pleasing ornament in normal times, but it must be kept out of the way when the survival of a great nation hangs in the balance. The preservation of Germany as a coherent cultural & political fabric is of infinitely greater importance than the comfort of those who have been incommoded by Nazism—& of course the number of suffers is negligible as compared with that of bolshevism’s victims. If what you say were true—that others could save Germany better than Hitler—then I’d be in favour of giving them a chance. But unfortunately the others had their chance & didn’t prove themselves equal to it. [...] Your hatred of Nazism—especially in the light of your extenuation of bolshevism’s vastly greater savageries—appears to me to be a matter of idealistic emotion unsupported by historic perspective or by a sense of the practical compromises necessary in tight places. Emotion runs away with you. For example—you get excited about four Americans who were mobbed because they didn’t salute the Nazi flag.

Well, as a matter of fact, did you ever hear of a nation that didn’t mob foreigners who refused to salute its flag in times of political & military emergency? [...] Still—don’t get my wrong. I’m not saying that Schön[e] Adolf is anything more than a lesser evil. A crude, blind force—a stop-gap. The one point is that he’s the only force behind which the traditional German spirit seems to be able to get. When the Germans can get another leader, & emerge from the present period of arbitrary fanaticism, his usefulness will be over.

H. P. Lovecraft to J. Vernon Shea, 8 Nov 1933, 000-0655, Letters to J. Vernon Shea 202-203

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

D.N. Nation posted:

....wasn't the dinosaur originally red? Good job, Allie.

I want to see the look on the colorist’s face when he was doing the second in the series when he realized those misshapen claws were actually just the t-Rex and now Allie expected a maga cap.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Manuel Calavera posted:

Old Man Yells at THOSE drat KIDS

"We don't expect him to ever mate," the Boss said to Dilbert

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does Dilbert gently caress

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Help Im Alive posted:

Does Dilbert gently caress

very rarely, and then his tie loses its erection

not making this up

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

DalaranJ posted:

I want to see the look on the colorist’s face when he was doing the second in the series when he realized those misshapen claws were actually just the t-Rex and now Allie expected a maga cap.

Dailies are outsourced, either it was done by different people or someone rushing to color as many strips as they can and only barely looking at the strip.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Ornedan posted:

This seems like avatar material

Yoink!

Comic essay: Charis JB on Pick-Up Artists and the Alt-Right

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

Lovecraft wrote the way he did because he was a massive pearl clutching racist who was afraid of everything. If he had been sane, I don't think that he would have written as good horror books. His later life coincided with Hitler's rise to power, and he wrote about Hitler on many letters. Here's one of them:

This, basically. Lovecraft was very good at writing skin-crawling, incomprehensible horror and that resonates with people, because we all have something that does that to us. It's just that the source of his own personal skin-crawling horror was miscegenation and "black people exist for some reason." Which is... unfortunate, to say the least.

The fact that the mythos has been taken and reshaped by other authors into other treatments of gibbering terror that don't inherently rely on "my racial purity is being infringed on!" is a good thing, I think. Take what is good, reject the rest.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
https://twitter.com/GrrrGraphics/status/1085552080322887685
Racis'

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Hogge Wild posted:

Did lovecraft just "but her emails..." Hilter?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
You should have fixed the colouring error on the bottom half of the penguin. :v:

He really is a weapons grade dickhead.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
"It is grossly unfair to say I am a racist," I say, as I finish drawing the fangs on a screaming black man.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Garrison is getting triggered like a submachine gun in here, and much like an SMG he should be banned.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Bombadilillo posted:

Did lovecraft just "but her emails..." Hilter?

He seemed to be arguing that Hitler was an idiot piece of poo poo but an effective figurehead to raise German morale during a state of crisis who could and should be discarded in favor of someone competent when things stabilized. Which was a bad and wrong opinion to have in 1933 but not nearly as uniquely bad as his racism.

I mean let's be real Lovecraft almost definitely didn't consider Germans white and probably had to restrain himself from describing them using some ethnic slur that was even then archaic, so while he considered German nationalism acceptable within the confines of Germany he would have scoffed at the idea that they should import their beer-swilling sausagey ways outside its borders (especially that first part bro was super in favor of prohibition and another one of his weird-rear end poems is a polemic against alcohol).

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc
I don't remember this fight in Earthbound.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

The rant is not really worth reading, but just to save anyone else from having to give Garrison traffic if they're curious:

Garrison posted:

Big corporations have HR departments that set policy for employee hiring, training, and education as well as indoctrination into corporate ‘culture.’ Yes, each company has a stated culture, which are all pretty much the same.

The HR departments tend to be populated by social justice activists and politically correct types. Their job is to make sure employees fall in line. This is achieved by fear. Companies will not tolerate racist, sexist, or otherwise intolerant behavior. Anyone caught telling an off-color joke by the water cooler could be fired. A male employee who compliments a female employee on her appearance could find himself in big trouble.

To prevent such trouble, the HR departments train employees on proper etiquette, behavior, and other matters that’s really nothing more than common sense. Employees get lectured about the company’s desire for a healthy, productive work environment with a welcoming atmosphere. The two words most favored by corporate HR departments are ‘diversity,’ and ‘inclusion.’ These words are used with a fervent religiosity. People ‘of color,’ ‘the LGBQT community, the disabled and so forth are to be treated with exceptional tolerance and kindness.

White males? Not so much, because they are usually seen as potential transgressors of company policy.

It’s all so much theater. Adult workers for the most part do not need to be drilled in common courtesy and how to treat others. It comes from within and pressuring people to learn stuff they’ve known since their school days seems silly.

Companies delight in such mandates, though. They know their employees will work hard for their pay because well-paying jobs are hard to come by. So they ratchet up the culture, which becomes even more intrusive. They often also increase the workload and hours. Some companies even tell employees how to ‘play.’ Yes, they insist their workers have smiles on their faces and songs in their hearts while slaving away. To the myriad vice presidents and MBAs running the show, it increases what they call work ‘engagement. Employees with cynical, odd, or grouchy personalities–even if they do their jobs well–are seen by management as heretics. They receive bad reviews and are hounded out. Facebook has a cult-like company culture that forbids conservatives.

Regardless, it almost always boils down to power and money, which usually leads to corruption. Employers have power over their employees who work for money and those leaders just can’t resist the power of tinkering with their employees’ minds.

Apparently that’s not enough anymore. Now global companies want to influence the behavior of their customers. Gillette came out with a commercial hectoring men for being too aggressive.

We need to tone down our toxic masculinity, we’re told. NIKE hired Colin Kapernick and subjected potential customers to lectures on race, political correctness, and virtue signaling. PayPal kicked off people who didn’t align well to their own political correctness. Patreon did the same thing.

This is not a good trend. We aren’t their employees—we’re customers and we have a choice. We need to stop patronizing companies who patronize and scold us with their unctuous, politically correct advertising.

—Ben Garrison

tl;dr: capitalism bad (when it hurts racists and misogynists)

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Lovecraft didn't even consider Norwegians white. We may have to consider that Lovecraft was so racist that his racism went full circle into believing that "white" was an elusive concept that no human attained but people cursed for never having acquired. Which would make him the least racist person ever.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Raised By Birds posted:

"It is grossly unfair to say I am a racist," I say, as I finish drawing the fangs on a screaming black man.

You gotta give me the fangs.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Katt posted:

Lovecraft didn't even consider Norwegians white. We may have to consider that Lovecraft was so racist that his racism went full circle into believing that "white" was an elusive concept that no human attained but people cursed for never having acquired. Which would make him the least racist person ever.

wasp exclusive whiteness

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Feinne posted:

He seemed to be arguing that Hitler was an idiot piece of poo poo but an effective figurehead to raise German morale during a state of crisis who could and should be discarded in favor of someone competent when things stabilized. Which was a bad and wrong opinion to have in 1933 but not nearly as uniquely bad as his racism.

I mean let's be real Lovecraft almost definitely didn't consider Germans white and probably had to restrain himself from describing them using some ethnic slur that was even then archaic, so while he considered German nationalism acceptable within the confines of Germany he would have scoffed at the idea that they should import their beer-swilling sausagey ways outside its borders (especially that first part bro was super in favor of prohibition and another one of his weird-rear end poems is a polemic against alcohol).

Yeah, idiot piece of poo poo, but at least he's not a communists.

My coworkers who are shut down are extremely pissed at Trump but STILL think it's better than Hillary

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I've never seen the letters in that order before but want it to be known that I fully support the LGB QT community

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

tl;dr: capitalism bad (when it hurts racists and misogynists)

I would swear that he'd done a cartoon recently mocking liberals for refusing to patronize an alt-right-leaning company, but I can't find it in his archives. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

fake edit: it was the whole NFL thing I was thinking of.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What's the donut referring to?

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

The media really is so mean to Trump, showing all his tweets, calling his lies "misstatements", airing his rallies, and asking us "Have you considered the Nazi's feelings?"

Good thing he included Frida, the ghost of a matador, and Speedy Gonzalez to remind us how serious this "crisis" is.

As he recycled this cartoon for the umpteenth time, Pete Kreiner posted:

The War on Men continues with Gillette and their man-hating propaganda ad "The Best a Man Can Get" accusing the entire male sex of toxic masculinity.

Meanwhile here's a cartoon addressing toxicity that Gillette would never dare call out: militant feminists who wouldn't hesitate to kill all men in a heartbeat.

Lol, that toiletry commercial sure did trigger itself some chuds.

Sandpuppy fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 16, 2019

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Holy poo poo! A talking razor!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Electric Phantasm posted:

Probably donut twitter, which heavily overlaps with Resistance twitter. They're people who put donuts in their Twitter accounts because Nina Turner, a prominent Bernie supporter, was "owned" by the DNC last year. She went to the DNC to discuss stuff and they didn't let her in and instead tried to bribe her with donuts.

Garrison, presumably, doesn't know any of that, and just associates donuts with Twitter liberals.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Gaybie Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry (Racism) in a Cartoon

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Discendo Vox posted:

Gaybie Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry (Racism) in a Cartoon
Weren't you in charge of that? And permabanned?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Wasn't Varvel about to quit, retire, or be fired? I hope we get a "Vexit" soon. I'm sick of his lovely cartoons.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Xander77 posted:

You're thinking of either Fulchrum or LT2012

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Xander77 posted:

That would be Fulchrum.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Right wing toons seem to leaning hard on "the Dems don't really care, they're partying on the beach," at least when they aren't trying to claim Central American refugees are a literal invading army looking to kill all white people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuCZOhuDA5A

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

He shook.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Brexit is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for countries to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the remainers than on the leavers. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of traffic jams for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and heal.

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc

Electric Phantasm posted:

It refers to 'Garrison had to fill up space and he needed to do a body-shaming slam but he didn't have any relevant examples of corporations coming out against it.'

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Cat Mattress posted:

Brexit is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for countries to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the remainers than on the leavers. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of traffic jams for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and heal.

:perfect:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Lightning Knight posted:

That would be Fulchrum.

RIP our local polished turd.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

:yeshaha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Theresa May suffers historic defeat in vote as Tories turn against her - PM faces vote of confidence after MPs reject her Brexit plan by majority of 230

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on May's desperate Brexit mission – Parliament is all but certain to reject the prime minister’s painstakingly negotiated deal in the ‘meaningful vote’ as she continues to insist it is the only approach that will work" After 'The Mission'.

Telegraph:

Michael Gove warns ‘winter is coming’ if MPs vote down Brexit deal tonight in bizarre interview (UK weather: snow and ice warnings as cold snap forecast)

Matt:

Independent:

Corbyn urges vote of no confidence to oust 'zombie government'

Times:

Evening Standard:

After Chas Addams.

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... Theresa May's Commons defeat

'It's only a flesh wound...'