Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You all are getting a no deal brexit and gonna be completely jizzless until you die in darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Spangly A posted:

The DUP are ideologues as much as anything. They named the biggest round number that was actually possible, and got it, because they could. 10bn wouldn't be enough for Labour to pay them off because they're extremely mad about friend Jeremy's love of the 'RA

man they get into bed with loving sinn fien (sein fien? boy howdy i'm dispelling that widespread assumption that brits ignore norn ireland politics lol) they're more corrupt than they are ideologues. and if you can't flip em all, pick the what, seven you need and offer a billion loving pounds in each of their constituencies worth of fuel to burn and flags.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

dont be mean to me posted:

past tense, checks out

was he really worse than thatcher

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Grondoth posted:

I'm in the same boat, kinda, although I'd say I have a bad understanding of british politics. But like... nothing she's done has turned out well, and yet she's still there. And unlike over here, there's mechanisms for there to be real consequences for failure, rather than "I donno wait 4 years, tough luck"

The problem is, here as in everywhere else, were finding out that the mechanisms only work by convention they aren't actually -anything- unless you are willing to back them up.
That would mean the government actually punishing itself which is obviously never going to happen. Rule of law is a lie.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Vote of No Confidence.

Stop capitalising every letter.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1085626152406929408

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

CoolCab posted:

man they get into bed with loving sinn fien (sein fien? boy howdy i'm dispelling that widespread assumption that brits ignore norn ireland politics lol) they're more corrupt than they are ideologues. and if you can't flip em all, pick the what, seven you need and offer a billion loving pounds in each of their constituencies worth of fuel to burn and flags.

power sharing wasn't a choice they made it's a requirement to enter northern irish politics

northern ireland doesn't have a government because sinn fein won't sit down with those people

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

was he really worse than thatcher

good point

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

that gove tirade, too. what a loving tapeworm.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

CoolCab posted:

They haven't been in government with Sinn Fein for the past two years now, and the circumstances are substantially different. The DUP will absolutely never open the door for Corbyn.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I'm from the land of MAGA, so i'm kinda confused. It seems like the Tories are hosed, with May holding a poo poo deal no one wants and the EU unwilling to negotiate for whatever crazy demands they wanted. Why wouldn't the Tories go and pass off a poo poo situation to Labour, so that they can them blame anything that happens on Corbyn?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I'm from the land of MAGA, so i'm kinda confused. It seems like the Tories are hosed, with May holding a poo poo deal no one wants and the EU unwilling to negotiate for whatever crazy demands they wanted. Why wouldn't the Tories go and pass off a poo poo situation to Labour, so that they can them blame anything that happens on Corbyn?

Because, theoretically, Labour might cancel article 50 completely.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

silvergoose posted:

Because, theoretically, Labour might cancel article 50 completely.

I don't see the downside.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

HiHo ChiRho posted:

If Labour took power, even for a moment, they could make some changes that caused poor people to benefit.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

An insane mind posted:

I don't see the downside.

Tories want no deal so they can loot the country

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Even the most pro-remain Tories probably find the prospect of a Corbyn government worse than Brexit

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
also cause they would burn the country to the actual literal ground before letting john mcdonnell running the treasury for some frankly pretty self evident and compelling reasons.

Bryter posted:

They haven't been in government with Sinn Fein for the past two years now, and the circumstances are substantially different. The DUP will absolutely never open the door for Corbyn.

see like, i think there's infinitely more fertile ground there then there is with the tory rebels - fundamentally considerably less of a pragmatic gap even if the ideological one seems insurmountable. the realpolitikian in me thinks "here's an arbitrarily large bag of gold, we'll leave you alone" is viable at some quantity of gold, while "vote yourselves out of power because otherwise the country will fail" has no failure point.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Saying you have confidence in May the day after handing her a historic defeat lol

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Power and Money.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Spangly A posted:

power sharing wasn't a choice they made it's a requirement to enter northern irish politics

northern ireland doesn't have a government because sinn fein won't sit down with those people

Sinn Fein are happy to enter power sharing with the DUP, but the first thing they'll do is ask for proper investigation into the massive DUP corruption scandal that collapsed the government in the first place. The DUP are happy to enter power sharing with Sinn Fein as long as they don't mention the massive DUP corruption scandal that collapsed the government.

So NI has had mutually assured no-government for 2 years.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

brugroffil posted:

Saying you have confidence in May the day after handing her a historic defeat lol

Again, it's confidence in "we're in power", which hey, they love being in power.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Yeah more red lines. Definitely continue to be a stubborn dickhead, it's worked out so far.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

alphabettitouretti posted:

Yeah more red lines. Definitely continue to be a stubborn dickhead, it's worked out so far.

Ruling out No Deal isn't a Red Line, it's kind of the opposite?

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Brexit has increased the number of people tweeting out the last verse of "Time" by Pink Floyd exponentially, a trend that I foresee continuing till B-Day

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

twoday posted:

Brexit has increased the number of people tweeting out the last verse of "Time" by Pink Floyd exponentially, a trend that I foresee continuing till B-Day

There is no dark side of the moon; it's all dark.

(Yes, I know that's not the one.)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

HiHo ChiRho posted:

He's actually lefr wing though. This isn't like letting Obama or Blair or Miliband in. He's an actual left winger and (if it isn't just hot air) intends to go after their tax dodging and the lovely media barons.

Though he's actually very moderate and will probably disappoint the revolutionaries the tories view him as an existential threat. Some of the hysterical chattering classes talk about literally fleeing the country if he wins.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
gently caress the DUP

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Since those are the guys that want no-deal, shouldn't it follow that they have confidence in may's continuing leadership to lead to no deal?

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Captain Splendid posted:

gently caress the DUP

Sure, but only after you've married them and for procreation only.

No gay stuff either, unless the information protected by the UK's last remaining super-injunctions is true.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Captain Splendid posted:

gently caress the DUP

gently caress DUP if true

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Fans posted:

Ruling out No Deal isn't a Red Line, it's kind of the opposite?

Not Jam Man. May. She needs to take no deal off the table and drop her opposition to freedom of movement and also drive a car with David cameron, Rees Mogg, Gove and whoever else will fit right off a loving cliff.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I think the only chance now is for the opposition parties to go all in on no deal & referendum. A second referendum is worthless without a specific plan to vote against (and prep needs to start NOW if you want one by early may), a new government deal is insanely unlikely if May's not willing to entertain even the possibility of staying in the customs union, and a change in government was the only chance of a substantive extension of article 50. Commit to no deal and call a referendum to withdraw article 50.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Ika posted:

Since those are the guys that want no-deal, shouldn't it follow that they have confidence in may's continuing leadership to lead to no deal?

They probably do, and that's part of the problem. Part of the Tories wants a no deal exit.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Ika posted:

That's what this seems to be proving

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Bryter posted:

Even the most pro-remain Tories probably find the prospect of a Corbyn government worse than Brexit

most centrists do too

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Goon Danton posted:

There really isn't any other path now, is there?

it's become readily apparent that it's the only option theresa may wants yeah

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Two years ago if someone had told me "The Brits are going to turn their country into a cannibalistic Hellscape weeks before the Americans do" I would have looked them in the eye and called them "Probably wrong".

Yet here we are.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Frankenstyle posted:

Two years ago if someone had told me "The Brits are going to turn their country into a cannibalistic Hellscape weeks before the Americans do" I would have looked them in the eye and called them "Probably wrong".

Yet here we are.

america was trying it's hardest to destroy itself and britain just goes and casually beats them to the punch

still the king baybee

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
But America always makes lovely remakes with bigger budgets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i ... worked on destroying my own country for years ... and ... theresa may just...she just did it