Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Brexit is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for countries to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the remainers than on the leavers. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of traffic jams for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and heal.

:vince: :vince: :vince: :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Sandpuppy posted:

Good thing he included Frida, the ghost of a matador, and Speedy Gonzalez to remind us how serious this "crisis" is.

I certainly feel "owned." I mean, it's hard to argue that it's a manufactured crisis when there's proof right here that the crisis is real.

Seriously though, how many cartoons have we seen now where the message is "This fictional scenario that I've put on paper is proof that ______ happened!"

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

"Don't be gross" and "be nicer", loving liberal propaganda :argh:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Cat Mattress posted:

Brexit is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for countries to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the remainers than on the leavers. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of traffic jams for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and heal.

Gaybe Nomination: Best Edit

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

HobbitGrease posted:

It refers to 'Garrison had to fill up space and he needed to do a body-shaming slam but he didn't have any relevant examples of corporations coming out against it.'

I was about to post this after Lightning Knight responded to me lol.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Libs are such easily offended snowflakes, also the razor commercial said not to be mean and it hurt my feelings :qq:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Discendo Vox posted:

Gaybe Nomination: Best Edit

Only if the text is accompanied by it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

He cannot help himself from being racist while criticizing others calling him racist.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I don't follow british politics super closely, but was there any real expectation of May being defeated? Nobody else really wants to be in charge until after brexit right?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Teamwork is overrated. Sharing is a bunch of bull, too. And helping others. And what's all this crap I've been hearing about tolerance?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Spiffster posted:

Only if the text is accompanied by it.

agreed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Ambitious Spider posted:

I don't follow british politics super closely, but was there any real expectation of May being defeated? Nobody else really wants to be in charge until after brexit right?

You are correct.

edit: sorry for the chained post.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Discendo Vox posted:

You are correct.

Yeah you have the vote just to get the Tories on the record as thinking her deal is trash but somehow they still have confidence in her.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Gillette: Men, be better.
Men: NO *giant tantrum*

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Hydronium posted:

the problem is it accuses all men of being gross and not nice

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Well yeah, its a loving shaving razor. An item that exists because of your gross body and facial hair.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Pants Donkey posted:

Gillete: your kids are watching you. You can shape the future. You can make them in your bold image
Men: crys online after breaking things.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Pants Donkey posted:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

snack eater posted:

That only sounds like a problem if you're gross and not nice.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm pretty happy with the effects of the Gillette ad. I still remember when Pepsi tried to connect with a left-wing cause, specifically BLM. It didn't go as well.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm pretty happy with the effects of the Gillette ad. I still remember when Pepsi tried to connect with a left-wing cause, specifically BLM. It didn't go as well.

Wait, having a Kardashian give a cop a pepsi was meant to connect to BLM? :stonk:

Somehow, I don't think their interns did the homework on that one.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Whatever happened to "you can't just call everyone you disagree with a nazi"?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Gaybie Nomination: Worst caricature

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

This got lost in the shuffle of laughing at the sound of fragile men breaking apart over a pretty benign razor ad but I can’t tell if Branco has memory holed that Puerto Rico is currently a smoking crater with thousands dead still from Trump’s lovely hurricane response or if he’s framing it as “Puerto Rico was fine actually and it’s just democrats lying about it”

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

This got lost in the shuffle of laughing at the sound of fragile men breaking apart over a pretty benign razor ad but I can’t tell if Branco has memory holed that Puerto Rico is currently a smoking crater with thousands dead still from Trump’s lovely hurricane response or if he’s framing it as “Puerto Rico was fine actually and it’s just democrats lying about it”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dailycaller.com/2019/01/14/democrats-puerto-rico-shutdown

Jut supporting the "they took a vacation during shutdown" line. And that looks bad if it's not a pristine beach

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I think there were supposed to be politicians in PR this week as part of Hamilton opening there (Lin-Manuel Miranda briefly returned to the lead role as part of it.)

But then Trump shut down the government and none of the people Branco is crying about actually went because they are marginally more aware of optics than Donald Trump.

E: drat you for tricking me into giving the Daily Caller any clicks at all

Neodoomium fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 17, 2019

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Discendo Vox posted:

You are correct.

Feinne posted:

Yeah you have the vote just to get the Tories on the record as thinking her deal is trash but somehow they still have confidence in her.

ah got it. Thanks.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Sandpuppy posted:

Meanwhile here's a cartoon addressing toxicity that Gillette would never dare call out: militant feminists who wouldn't hesitate to kill all men in a heartbeat.

this is actually a thing real live people believe exists isn't it

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

snack eater posted:

No it doesn't. I mean, the ad itself features men being nice and not gross. If you feel personally attacked by the message "don't be a bully or a sex pest" you really ought to have a big think about yourself and how you treat others.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
If Feminism Isn’t About Hating Men and Masculinity Then Why Do I Keep Insisting It Is?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Electric Phantasm posted:

That only sounds like a problem if you're gross and not nice.

"Don't be a fat nagging wife". Does that sound like only a conditionally problematic statement?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

baquerd posted:

"Don't be a fat nagging wife". Does that sound like only a conditionally problematic statement?

So uh, for starters, being fat and nagging are not equally bad as sexual assault

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Angepain posted:

So uh, for starters, being fat and nagging are not equally bad as sexual assault

"Gross and not nice" is the comparison here.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

baquerd posted:

"Gross and not nice" is the comparison here.

Uh sure but the "gross and not nice" being referred to is... sexual assault and harassment. Do you not understand what the conversation about toxic masculinity is about? It's not about "Lol neckbeards are gross," it's about "loving christ, stop harassing women you disgusting assholes."

Also the commercial doesn't refer to all men as gross and not nice. If the message you took from it was that it was a personal insult at you, maybe it's time for some self reflection on why that may be.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

CuwiKhons posted:

Uh sure but the "gross and not nice" being referred to is... sexual assault and harassment. Do you not understand what the conversation about toxic masculinity is about? It's not about "Lol neckbeards are gross," it's about "loving christ, stop harassing women you disgusting assholes."

Also the commercial doesn't refer to all men as gross and not nice. If the message you took from it was that it was a personal insult at you, maybe it's time for some self reflection on why that may be.

Maybe read the post linked in this guy's 'I'M A loving IDIOT'-tar

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CuwiKhons posted:

The dog whistle phrase of "toxic masculinity" has a much deeper and discriminatory meaning than simply males who commit sexual assault and harassment. If Gillette had simply avoided this phrase, there would likely have been little backlash for their overall message.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
What is this nonsense are we being brigaded I thought that was a Reddit thing

baquerd posted:

The dog whistle phrase of "toxic masculinity"
That's not what toxic masculinity means, it's not a "dog whistle" but it does deserve a special term for "actually useful phrase that incels and the alt-right whip themselves into a frenzy over by intentionally misunderstanding".

baquerd posted:

If Gillette had simply avoided this phrase, there would likely have been little backlash for their overall message.
Absolutely unquestionably 10,000% wrong

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 17, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

baquerd posted:

The dog whistle phrase of "toxic masculinity" has a much deeper and discriminatory meaning than simply males who commit sexual assault and harassment. If Gillette had simply avoided this phrase, there would likely have been little backlash for their overall message.

post/av combo

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Vib Rib posted:

What is this nonsense are we being brigaded I thought that was a Reddit thing

No, it’s just baquerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Lightning Knight posted:

No, it’s just baquerd.
After the other guy came in to "um, actually" the Gillette ad, a second one bursting in felt bizarrely coincidental.