Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The one mutant I've always felt sorry for was this one furry monster guy in the 90s cartoon who was the target of anti-mutant violence, and he was pleading with them saying "please, I'm just an ordinary mutant; I don't have any special powers!" To my knowledge that's the only mutant in all Marvel media whose power was solely that he didn't look human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Well, there's also Beak.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There was the guy with 3 faces in Morrisons New Xmen.

Ugly Bob i think.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
During the Morrison era when there was more of a push to establish mutants as a global subcultural force, there were lots of incidental characters without much in the way of powers but with distinctive appearances. I can't think of too many named ones off the top of my head aside from the aforementioned three-faces guy-- I think Jumbo Carnation the late mutant fashion designer had two extra arms or something, which is really no more of a power than having three faces or a beak.

I think part of the premise of the Morlocks was that some of them had mutations closer to disfigurements as well but, you know, comics being what they are I'm certain they've all demonstrated some useful trick since then.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Archyduchess posted:

During the Morrison era when there was more of a push to establish mutants as a global subcultural force, there were lots of incidental characters without much in the way of powers but with distinctive appearances. I can't think of too many named ones off the top of my head aside from the aforementioned three-faces guy-- I think Jumbo Carnation the late mutant fashion designer had two extra arms or something, which is really no more of a power than having three faces or a beak.

I think part of the premise of the Morlocks was that some of them had mutations closer to disfigurements as well but, you know, comics being what they are I'm certain they've all demonstrated some useful trick since then.

Being corpses

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bobkatt013 posted:

Being corpses

Is this that guy who sings the death metal version of It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archyduchess posted:

They were all in the 'powers, but ugly' camp, sometimes the powers making them ugly like... uh... Tar Baby whose power meant he excreted tar from his pores. Even Callisto was originally supposed to be what we might think of as a 'hard-lookin' woman' but that changed over time. And not even that slowly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think it's been explained to me before, but I don't know what Callisto's power is supposed to be.
Also, when's the last time she showed up, they were pushing Storm into greater prominence a while ago (she had a solo ongoing and was the leader of Adjectiveless), would have been a good time for Callisto to pop up again.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

There was the guy with 3 faces in Morrisons New Xmen.

Ugly Bob i think.

Ugly John. Cyclops asks him what his powers are. “I have three faces, and they’re all ugly.”

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Skwirl posted:

I think it's been explained to me before, but I don't know what Callisto's power is supposed to be.

Enhanced senses it turns out, and possibly hyper-agility which is what I'd always thought her power was.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember in X-Men 3 she had super speed and also the ability to tell how powerful other mutants were?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember in X-Men 3 she had super speed and also the ability to tell how powerful other mutants were?

No, I have been trying to block that film from my memory thankyouverymuch

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/saladinahmed/status/1085019150714658816?s=19

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

fuuuuuuukkkkkkk

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
It is a pretty sweet design, I will give them that

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

War of the Realms, shortest event ever?
https://twitter.com/unbeatablesg/status/1085599217131941888

I really dug the new Black Widow. Not crazy about Nat's "I have to let my inner murder demon out" thing, but everything else about the issue crackled.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I was wondering how that would go with twin-horror-movie-directors-newly-turned-comic-writers.
They're really casting the net outwards for new talent.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
im usually a fan of the funny pages in the super hero adventure books but maybe we could not literally rip off an entire calvin and hobbes strip panel for panel thats just tacky

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's...cute...but. Why Peter and Hulk? What possible relationship do they have with each other that would make this homage work?

At first I thought the strip was about Banner and Hulk. That at least would have some kind of...anything...behind the concept. But with this...it might as well be Wolverine or Ben Grimm in Pete's place and nothing would be different.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
only half way through black widow and i like the writing, the arts a liiiiiittle janky imo, but i do appreciate that when steve tries to chastise natasha about killing people she just tells him to gently caress off

e: oh sweet its gonna be the slavers arc from punisher max but black widow im in

site fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 16, 2019

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

BrianWilly posted:

It's...cute...but. Why Peter and Hulk? What possible relationship do they have with each other that would make this homage work?

At first I thought the strip was about Banner and Hulk. That at least would have some kind of...anything...behind the concept. But with this...it might as well be Wolverine or Ben Grimm in Pete's place and nothing would be different.

Does anyone remember a few years ago DC did one like that. Only with Lex Luthor as Calvin and the Joker as Hobbs.
I liked that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Really enjoying Asgardians of the Galaxy. With Bunn bringing Annabelle Riggs and Valkyrie back it really feels like the kinda sorta followup to Fearless Defenders. And now Angela and Kid Loki are finally searching for Sera so we can get them back together.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

X-O posted:

Really enjoying Asgardians of the Galaxy. With Bunn bringing Annabelle Riggs and Valkyrie back it really feels like the kinda sorta followup to Fearless Defenders. And now Angela and Kid Loki are finally searching for Sera so we can get them back together.

What was up with Kid Loki calling Sera "Angela's Ex" though? Is he messing with her? What does he know? :argh:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Metalshark posted:

What was up with Kid Loki calling Sera "Angela's Ex" though? Is he messing with her? What does he know? :argh:

Bunn is a crap writer hth

Anyways
https://twitter.com/Wil_Moss/status/1085647976729464834?s=19

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It looks like Spider-Man is just dropping out of the sky unconscious.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Lobok posted:

It looks like Spider-Man is just dropping out of the sky unconscious.
Spidey can be unconscious at any time of the day.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It was hard to not make an NSM reference in my post.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

To be fair, Spidey in Howard the Duck only comes off slightly better than NSM sometimes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yvonmukluk posted:

To be fair, Spidey in Howard the Duck only comes off slightly better than NSM sometimes.

That's true, too.

*deep, guttural sobs*

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So I'm reminded now of the all time saddest Daredevil story (and given that this is Daredevil, that's saying something.)

So Matt's life is always poo poo. And he showed up on a five part crossover series about Captain Universe. (In each issue a different hero had that power.)
And Daredevil gets the Captain Universe powers, only they are broken.
And more so with Matt as his radar senses are not working with cosmic senses.
But the one thing is his sight gets restored. So he can see for the issue as he tries to help Captain Universe.
And in the B story Foggy learns that Matt can see and he knows it will be temporary.
He is chasing after Matt and he finally catches up with Matt. To show him a photo of Matt's wedding to Millia. So he can know what they looked like.

Only by the time Foggy shows up, Matt's back to being blind.
And he just lies to Foggy and tells him that he see it.

Somehow this little, minor loss stings worse than any of Daredevil's big, classic hits.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Surprised nobody has been talking about the latest Thor. Agent of Wakanda Roz Solomon was pretty bad rear end.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

When did she get all traumatized about murderin trolls

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Open Marriage Night posted:

Surprised nobody has been talking about the latest Thor. Agent of Wakanda Roz Solomon was pretty bad rear end.

excuse me

site posted:

I would like a roz Solomon: agent of wakanda book, tia

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Excuse you, that's Roz Solomon, The Troll Slayer of Broxton to you.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I want a new Luke Cage series with a good writer. I ask for the impossible.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've liked the new Luke Cage series. All the digital first series (Cloak and Dagger, Daughters of the Dragon, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist) have been good so far. And I love the distribution method of double issues for three months then a break and then a new storyline. I wish more books would do this.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I wish Jessica Jones wasn’t STILL about Purple Man but it’s been good anyway.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How is the Fantastic Four ongoing? Slott any good?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Schneider Heim posted:

How is the Fantastic Four ongoing? Slott any good?

Ok so far. He hasn’t done anything particularly egregious yet. At the same time he hasn’t done amazing either. The setup he’s placed so far and marrying Ben have been good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I'm not loving the way he seems to have ignored everything that happened with Doom over the last few years and just jumped him back to :doom:RICHARDS but at least he writes a good Ben.