Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

With that Willpower mod in place when my squad ran into two specters and an Andromedon everyone got flagged for significant WP losses. Not sure if it's a bug or a side effect of a crapload of mods but I'm going to disable the fatigue mechanism altogether and just swear to rotate my squad members.

It seems tuned to get you to recruit at least 3 full teams and then a 4th of backups and subs who rotate in for wounds and deaths and poo poo. Pristine soldiers can do roughly two missions before getting fatigued before will upgrades and possible resistance orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That’s almost exactly what I’m rolling with in the endgame. ~20 soldiers, plus whatever randoms I pick up along the way as rewards/rescues.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Ravenfood posted:

It seems tuned to get you to recruit at least 3 full teams and then a 4th of backups and subs who rotate in for wounds and deaths and poo poo. Pristine soldiers can do roughly two missions before getting fatigued before will upgrades and possible resistance orders.

I grabbed the bonus that lets you recruit for 15 supplies and collected a bunch of minor leaguers to fill out my roster. I'll see if that will keep me ahead of the fatigue annoyance.

I had a capture/kill VIP mission and as soon as it started I decided I was just going to kill him because I don't like having to carry the target. I've been trying to use the Reaper for scouting and sneaky kills and for once managed to skillfully avoid a patrol and get my whole team in position to ambush the target. He was standing next to a car guarded by two vipers and a codex.

The Reaper has the upgraded Remote Start skill and with one button push killed them all. Felt like something out of Hitman!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I know it's kind of a waste, but mind controlling the VIP and having them just walk to the evac is still the most hilarious thing to me

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I wish you could mind control the VIP to make them run.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

So word of warning: the Reaper can be revealed by buried Chrysalids that are buried more than two tiles away.

I gave my reaper an expanded mag and the instakill chance module and talon rounds and now banish is extra fun. Didn't really do much in the way of scouting but that may just have been the maps I did with her. Gonna use XCom points to also give her the "keep shooting if your banish target dies" skill so I can just take out an entire pack.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Danaru posted:

I know it's kind of a waste, but mind controlling the VIP and having them just walk to the evac is still the most hilarious thing to me

If you haven't rescued them yet the vip technically counts as an ally to the Chosen and they can Teleport Ally them out of their prisons. The Warlock did it in my campaign and teleported him into a squad of stun lancers. He didn't make it.

The Warlock also told me not to feel bad about that afterward. :haw:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Can somebody assist? I'm on an early campaign to disable a transmitter where you have the tiny transmitter to give you a bit of time. It's also a mission with lost. Because of the lost distracting the advent, we were able to get to the objective without having to shoot any gizmos. I've successfully completed the "C4 the objective" task, and now I'm asked to kill any remaining advent.

thing is, I've scoured seemingly the entire map and I can't find any of the bastards. I've killed a total of 2 patrols - 1 patrol that we discovered early, and 1 reinforcement that got air transported in after we killed the objective. So there should still be at least some advent on the map but I'll be damned if I can find the blighters.

Is this a common bug? Restarting doesn't seem to help.

I've even thrown a grenade at random scenery and it didn't spawn in more lost, not even a "the sound of explosives is drawing a lost group closer".

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

double nine posted:

Can somebody assist? I'm on an early campaign to disable a transmitter where you have the tiny transmitter to give you a bit of time. It's also a mission with lost. Because of the lost distracting the advent, we were able to get to the objective without having to shoot any gizmos. I've successfully completed the "C4 the objective" task, and now I'm asked to kill any remaining advent.

thing is, I've scoured seemingly the entire map and I can't find any of the bastards. I've killed a total of 2 patrols - 1 patrol that we discovered early, and 1 reinforcement that got air transported in after we killed the objective. So there should still be at least some advent on the map but I'll be damned if I can find the blighters.

Is this a common bug? Restarting doesn't seem to help.

I've even thrown a grenade at random scenery and it didn't spawn in more lost, not even a "the sound of explosives is drawing a lost group closer".

Keep searching the map - you also need to clear the map of Lost in any "kill all enemies" missions. Including pre-placed ones that are out of the way. Bad luck that it had Lost around too, is all.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Fuzz posted:

Not as amazing as the one that causes damage to the attacker when they use psi attacks on your soldiers.

Clump dudes, Conduit drops a psi storm, instantly explodes and dies, your guys move a few feet and reload. :smug:

Alternatively, Sectoid commander mind controls one of your guys, head instantly explodes, your guy is fine.

Holy poo poo I want it. There is a lot of Status and Psi Bombs thrown around, although as the second is AOE I assume it doesn't count.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

Keep searching the map - you also need to clear the map of Lost in any "kill all enemies" missions. Including pre-placed ones that are out of the way. Bad luck that it had Lost around too, is all.

I found the fuckers.

What's in the box?

A couple of jokers is what.

FYI, there was no way in or out of that goddamn box. They were craven assholes who made me lose a lot more time than I wanted to on this early mission.

double nine fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 16, 2019

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Carecat posted:

Holy poo poo I want it. There is a lot of Status and Psi Bombs thrown around, although as the second is AOE I assume it doesn't count.

Psi Bomb counts and every target hit procs the damage from the perk (4, ignores armor).

So yeah, any Conduit that hits more than 3 guys instantly suicides, for all intents and purposes. Even if you take no damage or the attack fails (like for Domination or Panic) it still does damage, which is super handy against Gatekeepers if you have your own psi to shield.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

double nine posted:

I found the fuckers.

What's in the box?

FYI, there was no way in or out of that goddamn box. They were craven assholes who made me lose a lot more time than I wanted to on this early mission.

:xcom:

EDIT: VVVV :gonk:

EDIT EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WziO005uM3g

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 17, 2019

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

double nine posted:

I found the fuckers.

What's in the box?

Let us tell you tales of lobstermen cruise ship terror missions...

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Slashrat posted:

Let us tell you tales of lobstermen cruise ship terror missions...

Hiding in a closet, on the far end of the ship...and you spent your last TUs to get there before realizing you forgot to pack the thermic lances. A Bio-drone screams in delight in the background, and another rookie dies at random.

e: this was on level 1. Level 2 still awaits...

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
So while I was catching up with this thread I saw a ton of posts hoping for a mod to combine all three soundtracks available in TLE.

Little did we know that someone quietly did it in a changelog to their existing music tweak two months ago and many of us have actually been using it all along.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm wondering if any of you use flashbangs or smoke grenades? I almost never use flashbangs, far more useful to blow up the enemy & their cover; and smoke grenades don't seem useful at all. Additionally, whenever I think of bringing flashbangs, the squaddie who gets the flashbang ... gets mind controlled.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Flashbangs can be great for several reasons. They hit a much larger area and are a significant debuff to the aliens' aim, but also turn off several of their methods of retaliation. So if I'm concerned anyone is going to survive this turn, it behooves me to neuter as many of them as I can, and a flashbang lets me do that to almost an entire pod if I like.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
I used to run with flashbangs in the original XCOM2.
Now, doing the Legacy missions, I keep getting the upgrade choice between "one flashbang and a bunch of useless crap to replace your nice juicy plasma nades" versus "everybody gets spider/exo suits". Maybe I don't know the tricks, but I've picked the suits every time. Hasn't been a problem to just kill everything so far, even being kind of reckless.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm pretty sure grenadiers with them got nerfed at some point because I remember flash bangs coating the whole darn screen on my first playthrough

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Flashbangs are beautiful against psionic enemies. Disorienting them breaks any spell they’ve got going on, so you can get your MC’d soldier back, knock off zombies while crushing their master’s aim/movement, etc. I always keep one or two on hand.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I usually stop bringing flashbangs once mind control isn't a mission ender. I don't think I've ever used smoke grenades.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I use flashbangs quite a lot until I get a mimic beacon.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you've already built it then yeah sure bring a flashbang over a regular grenade early on. (Put it on someone who isn't your ranger - if your ranger gets mind-controlled, you can flashbang, and if your flashbang carrier gets mind-controlled, your ranger can deal with it).

But honestly I don't think it does enough to be worth spending the supplies on.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Flashbangs are great for activating more dangerous pods because once flashed their move distance is shorter so they can't scatter as much and will often fail to find even halfway decent cover. It's the poo poo vs Mutons early on, since it usually takes more than one turn to take out the entire pod when all you have are the low end weapons.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I sometimes bring a flashbang to help deal with codices.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Flashbangs are good damage control items when it’s inevitable that the enemy will get a turn no matter what you do. If they’re getting a turn, it’s better to make their turn be a crappy low % shot than to hurt them but let them do whatever they want

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Flash bangs are anti Codice and essential for it because their clone power sucks. Smoke is useless unless it’s given as a free action by a modded class.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Bogart posted:

Flash bangs are anti Codice and essential for it because their clone power sucks. Smoke is useless unless it’s given as a free action by a modded class.

I can't remember what the specific combination of mods was, but in one playthrough I had a soldier who stacked every smoke grenade skill he could get his hands on. Everyone within the smoke got a ton of +Defense and even some +Dodge and +Aim from other skills.

It was a lotta fun :allears:

Further proof that Bloated Mod Clusterfuck is and always will be the superior playthrough option :colbert:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah if you get smoke for free its nice when you can't trust your cover and want more insurance. I like to play with large teams on both sides and there is only so much good cover, so half the team might just have to make do, and then a smoke can help me breathe easier.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Apparently there's a bug where if you kill the Avatar in the final mission before it "triggers" the other ones won't spawn.

So that's cool. Was hoping to beat the game tonight but now I have to start over from the save I made before the radio tower mission :sigh:

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Just grabbed WOTC for around $17 which is almost as low as the historical low according to isthereanydeal - deal still available for 9 hours: https://isthereanydeal.com/game/xcomiiwarofchosenedition/info/

Burned myself out on XCOM 2 and LW2 and put it down for over a year now. Seeing this deal rekindled my interest.

Going to get back into XCOM but make it really Star Wars-ey according to this modding tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjaNhQd81Vk

Gonna do all of this on a little handheld computer that I can take onto the train to work with me (GPD Win 2).

20fps XCOM 2 here I come!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Shout out to the bog-standard Lost that got the 1hp killing blow in on an Andromedon that kept swinging at it and missing.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
just got WOTC, wow this expansion added a hell of a lot. For the first time since I bought it I want to play XCOM 2

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
Okay, is it just me or is the rescue Mox mission bugged?

I decided to be super clandestine about it, so I snuck around the house and grenaded the wall of his cell. Seemed indestructible at first, but then collapsed with the change of turn. Picked up Mox. Security level still at 1 and no extraction point.

I'm just sitting here with a Mox on my hands, dudes. I don't want to go and hack the door which will sound all the alerts I'm sure. FFS.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If you have a good hacker you can hack the door without sounding the alarm, too.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Duuk posted:

Okay, is it just me or is the rescue Mox mission bugged?

I decided to be super clandestine about it, so I snuck around the house and grenaded the wall of his cell. Seemed indestructible at first, but then collapsed with the change of turn. Picked up Mox. Security level still at 1 and no extraction point.

I'm just sitting here with a Mox on my hands, dudes. I don't want to go and hack the door which will sound all the alerts I'm sure. FFS.

you can't request a skyranger drop point manually?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
God drat kinetic plating/regeneration warlock on a supplies mission with lost, my guys all with pea shooters. It takes forever to kill him as any miss gives him +2HP, including any lost that run up and then he regens further on the next turn!

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
Does anyone know what triggers xcom to stop auto/quick-saving?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

DoNotFeedTheBear posted:

Does anyone know what triggers xcom to stop auto/quick-saving?

I seem to remember from when I first played that there was a limit to the total number of auto-saves.

EDIT: Googling shows lots of references to this problem and no solutions so I think I had it wrong. :shrug:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 21, 2019