Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Lichtenstein posted:

The volca modular looks like a super fun little thing to tinker with, but gently caress none of the demos that dropped today make it sound any nicer than wailings of a dying robot.

yeah, im revising my stance on the modular until I hear some better demos since the ones I've heard have all been ok to poo poo

that reverb they have attached to it sounds like rear end at anything above barely applying it and dry it sounds a bit thin

the drum though, im only getting more excited for it the more demos I listen to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I kind of feel like they kind of whiffed on the waveguide feature of the Drum. A simple tuned delay line is cool and all, but add even a couple more delays and it opens up a whole world of percussion-friendly coolness, and it doesn't take all that much DSP muscle to do it. I am however pleased that accent sequencing is now a feature. Frankly I don't understand how any drum sequencer can get away with not having it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Gringostar posted:

yeah, im revising my stance on the modular until I hear some better demos since the ones I've heard have all been ok to poo poo

that reverb they have attached to it sounds like rear end at anything above barely applying it and dry it sounds a bit thin

the drum though, im only getting more excited for it the more demos I listen to

Actually that reverb sounds awesome.

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
I will buy the volca modular so I can wander around forests, perch it on tree stumps and use my iPhone to record random dying robot wail youtube videos in the ~wilderness~

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m constantly trying to find ways to get drums/rhythm sections that are hardware vs boring software plugins and this thing is making me very gear horny

What would be the deciding factors for a volca drum vs the beat?

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 16, 2019

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Kill me now.

I can't get my keystep to output midi to my mother-32. Just got the mother tonight.

I'm using one of those midi cables, but apparently it isn't working the way I want as the midi light won't flash when I press keys. On the other hand it appears that play sends some sort of output to it, but again no flashing light.

Anyone have experience with this? Digging through keystep manual atm to see if I can figure this out.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Hamelekim posted:

Kill me now.

I can't get my keystep to output midi to my mother-32. Just got the mother tonight.

I'm using one of those midi cables, but apparently it isn't working the way I want as the midi light won't flash when I press keys. On the other hand it appears that play sends some sort of output to it, but again no flashing light.

Anyone have experience with this? Digging through keystep manual atm to see if I can figure this out.

The Mother has really lovely midi implementation. What are you trying to do exactly with MIDI?

It tends to freak out (mental shorthand, I don't remember exactly) when it gets MIDI clock, I almost always just disconnect it and play it via CV/Gate (which, luckily will work fine-to-better depending on your goals).

MIDI on the Mother I think is pretty much for syncing/programming the sequencer?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

JamesKPolk posted:

The Mother has really lovely midi implementation. What are you trying to do exactly with MIDI?

It tends to freak out (mental shorthand, I don't remember exactly) when it gets MIDI clock, I almost always just disconnect it and play it via CV/Gate (which, luckily will work fine-to-better depending on your goals).

MIDI on the Mother I think is pretty much for syncing/programming the sequencer?

Yeah I have no cables right now. Guess I'll have to wait till the weekend to mess around with keyboard input.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Man, I really want that xD but I barely know keyboards. I'm really enjoying the little minilab I got and I am finding it really easy to simply sit down and play melodies, but the keys are just kinda small. Arghhh gas. I guess I could either get this or maybe 1 or 2 guitar pedals? Hmmm. Tough choice.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 16, 2019

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Kilometers Davis posted:

What would be the deciding factors for a volca drum vs the beat?

drum has a better/different sequencer, has a different sound pallet, randomize feature, swing, and a snare you don't have to make usable with a soldering iron

beats is partly analog and has other tricks that are exclusively to it, although it has the most basic of the volca sequencers

also don't count out the sample which makes a great drum machine as well

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Hamelekim posted:

Kill me now.

At the risk of asking the obvious, have you checked the MIDI channels? afiak the Mother can only receive on one channel (has no omni setting.) I only ask because this is always my sticking point, and other than that, I've never had any problem with MIDI on it. (Although its predilection to start its sequencer as soon as it gets a MIDI Clock signal is a bit annoying.)

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
so, here’s maybe a less-common question (also, hi!)

I’m looking for a midi keyboard with full size keys and a decent amount of range (I’d prefer 63 but I’d consider 49 depending on price) but I don’t really care about how it integrates with a daw. I’m going to be using it mostly to play my nyx in duophonic mode (and other hardware synths that I intend to pick up). I’m doing okay with the arturia keystep and the nyx is only duophonic so I guess I don’t really need full size keys, but I have long spider fingers and I just don’t like minis. the only data I really care about sending is the keyboard, mod wheel and pitch wheel. the nektar P6 has good reviews regarding the keybed and physical feel of the equipment, but most of the online conversation/reviews seem to be focusing on how it integrates with various software. is there a stripped down keyboard with good, full size keys for a mostly analog and physical setup like mine? I was hoping there might be because I figure a lot of the price of the nicer ones is the daw integration and software design and I don’t need any of that.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

rickiep00h posted:

At the risk of asking the obvious, have you checked the MIDI channels? afiak the Mother can only receive on one channel (has no omni setting.) I only ask because this is always my sticking point, and other than that, I've never had any problem with MIDI on it. (Although its predilection to start its sequencer as soon as it gets a MIDI Clock signal is a bit annoying.)

Yeah I did.

Although honestly, I couldn't get the pages to work properly on the Mother-32. I tried switching to various channels on both the Mother-32 and the Keystep.

The instructions for getting to pages don't appear to do what they say, or I am missing something. Maybe because I bought it used and they change settings.

You press all the buttons to get the yellow lights and two of the three yellow lights are on the wrong numbers. Should be 1,2,3 but it's 1,6,8 which I have no clue why that would be the case. I should probably try to do a reset of the settings on the M32.

The workaround is to just use the cv instead once I get the cables this Friday. At least I can get the audio to go into Ableton Live now which is cool. Physical buttons and dials really helps to get a feel for everything vs software interfaces.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zoKpSg30mw

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Hi!
I've got the Roland A49, which makes a pretty good desk keyboard and feel pretty solid. It's done me well as a desk keyboard, I like the pitch stick, and it's got that D-Beam thing if you're in to that. I got a discounted floor model and would probably have gotten something cheaper otherwise, but I really like how nice it plays, definitely a cut above your average m-audios and akais.

snorch fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 16, 2019

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

800ish canadian for the Minilogue. Wonder if this is going to be significantly more expensive.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

so, here’s maybe a less-common question (also, hi!)

I’m looking for a midi keyboard with full size keys and a decent amount of range (I’d prefer 63 but I’d consider 49 depending on price) but I don’t really care about how it integrates with a daw. I’m going to be using it mostly to play my nyx in duophonic mode (and other hardware synths that I intend to pick up). I’m doing okay with the arturia keystep and the nyx is only duophonic so I guess I don’t really need full size keys, but I have long spider fingers and I just don’t like minis. the only data I really care about sending is the keyboard, mod wheel and pitch wheel. the nektar P6 has good reviews regarding the keybed and physical feel of the equipment, but most of the online conversation/reviews seem to be focusing on how it integrates with various software. is there a stripped down keyboard with good, full size keys for a mostly analog and physical setup like mine? I was hoping there might be because I figure a lot of the price of the nicer ones is the daw integration and software design and I don’t need any of that.

go look at Studiologic, it’s the house brand for Fatar, who makes the keybeds for around 3/4 of all major synth brands, and they have a lotta stripped-down no-frills controllers for good prices. The action on their keys are generally always gonna be decent to play since they’re the ones making most of the keybeds for Roland/Yamaha/Korg/Moog/Sequential/etc.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I don't need any of the poo poo Korg just announced but I want all of it. I think I might get rid of the Mono + Minilogue for the Minilogue XD since it has the Mono filter which was the achilles heel of the Mini imo.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
So it looks like I just got suckered into a dud ebay buy. I was looking for a Yamaha MU100R, which typically comes stock with harmonizer and VL expansion boards built in. I really wanted to get my hands on a VL-capable synth in hopes of getting in touch with its inner mojo to further my own physical modeling project.

I found one on ebay selling at the typical price, but the shipping was cheaper, so I bought it. While reading up on my new purchase, I came across a post warning that some sellers are removing the expansion boards and selling them separately. Sure enough, I go back to the auction, and in the fine print it mentions the expansion slots are free (read: gutted). So now I have a very nice fx unit and rompler, which I totally don't need :bang:

Fortunately it's relatively cheap, so I'm only out a couple hundred, but drat do I feel like a fool.

snorch fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 16, 2019

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

snorch posted:

Hi!
I've got the Roland A49, which makes a pretty good desk keyboard and feel pretty solid. It's done me well as a desk keyboard, I like the pitch stick, and it's got that D-Beam thing if you're in to that. I got a discounted floor model and would probably have gotten something cheaper otherwise, but I really like how nice it plays, definitely a cut above your average m-audios and akais.

HotCanadianChick posted:

go look at Studiologic, it’s the house brand for Fatar, who makes the keybeds for around 3/4 of all major synth brands, and they have a lotta stripped-down no-frills controllers for good prices. The action on their keys are generally always gonna be decent to play since they’re the ones making most of the keybeds for Roland/Yamaha/Korg/Moog/Sequential/etc.

okay, thanks! I’ll go look at those, appreciate it :)

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

snorch posted:

So it looks like I just got suckered into a dud ebay buy. I was looking for a Yamaha MU100R, which typically comes stock with harmonizer and VL expansion boards built in. I really wanted to get my hands on a VL-capable synth in hopes of getting in touch with its inner mojo to further my own physical modeling project.

I found one on ebay selling at the typical price, but the shipping was cheaper, so I bought it. While reading up on my new purchase, I came across a post warning that some sellers are removing the expansion boards and selling them separately. Sure enough, I go back to the auction, and in the fine print it mentions the expansion slots are free (read: gutted). So now I have a very nice fx unit and rompler, which I totally don't need :bang:

Fortunately it's relatively cheap, so I'm only out a couple hundred, but drat do I feel like a fool.

Throw it up on Reverb. Someone will buy it.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
since the volcas usually come in 3's, the original analog ones and then the FM following the kick and sample, what seems more likely for the "poly" of this batch?

volca M1?

or volca wavestation?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Gringostar posted:

since the volcas usually come in 3's, the original analog ones and then the FM following the kick and sample, what seems more likely for the "poly" of this batch?

volca M1?

or volca wavestation?

Volca Poly-800 lmao

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Hamelekim posted:

You press all the buttons to get the yellow lights and two of the three yellow lights are on the wrong numbers. Should be 1,2,3 but it's 1,6,8 which I have no clue why that would be the case. I should probably try to do a reset of the settings on the M32.

So when you hop to the Setup menu (Shift-Reset-Set End-8) there should only be one amber light, and then you used the arrow buttons to switch between the submenus, and the amber light should move 1-2-3. If it's moving from 1 to 6 to 8 that DEFINITELY seems wrong. Yeah, reset it. If that doesn't do it, I'd get on the phone to Moog, because that seems like a major hardware problem and not just a MIDI communication thing somewhere.

I will note that getting the keypress right on one of my two Mothers can be finicky and I do have to try repressing it a couple times to get it to register the right way.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

HotCanadianChick posted:

Volca Poly-800 lmao

Volca DSS-1 with Volca Floppy

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Bitwig is finally about to drop the thing they've been promising since day one and my boner is ready.

https://www.bitwig.com/en/19/bitwig-studio-3.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wHHbV8Zw4g

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I’ve also had a dud eBay purchase.

JD-xi - somethings up with the filter. Whenever you go to a new patch the filter is almost completely closed, and you have to pinch the knob down in order to do a sweep. If you don’t pinch then there is an absurd amount of stepping.

Loose contact perhaps?

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 17, 2019

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

curried lamb of God posted:

Volca DSS-1 with Volca Floppy

I’m in

Trig Discipline posted:

Bitwig is finally about to drop the thing they've been promising since day one and my boner is ready.

https://www.bitwig.com/en/19/bitwig-studio-3.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wHHbV8Zw4g

Ah jeez, I was just looking at the new (how did it take twenty years) semi-modular in reason, don’t show me this

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah there are other software modular synths obviously but given that that thing is built into Bitwig I reckon the potential for automation fuckery and putting external audio into the chain is going to make it a whole other thing entirely.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Gringostar posted:

volca M1?

or volca wavestation?

I'd kind of like to see them push out another uh, "support" model like the volca mixer. Something like volca effects, or sequence, or control. Hell a volca loop could be pretty cool and play well with the others.

But really I'd love a vocoder. Volcoder.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I have a positive secondhand purchase today!
Got a Nektar Panorama P1, it integrated with Cubase instantly after running the installer: reviews said setting it up was a nightmare, but its a few years old now so guess that was addressed. Meandering acid jams now easier than ever.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I bet they could squeeze a microkorg in one of those boxes

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Stan Taylor posted:

But really I'd love a vocoder. Volcoder.

vocoder/string machine would actually be kind of amazing... and cover the "poly" spot that's missing from this generations family

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Tellin’ ya, an architecture consisting of 8 DCOs and a single analog filter would be real simple to make as a single chip, and would let them advertise it as an 8 voice poly for the Volca line.

It’s genius, pay me royalties Korg.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

- actual magnetic tape loop/delay that can also play/record regular audio cassettes
- midi controller that starts volca size but unfolds to be 4-5 octaves
- mini glockenspiel with pickup
- cb radio sampler
- etch-a-sketch-a-waveform

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
- vst host
- CD turntable
- theremin
- EWI with breath tube
- hatsune miko
- USB midi host / midi splitter

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

you're making it too complex. the next step is simple: a tracker, conveyed entirely through a 3 digit display.

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
Make a volca volca which is 3 mini volcas shrunk into a volca form factor

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Volca Clock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
A rompler that has bass, trumpet, drums and sax.

Volca Polka.