Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

As someone originally from central Florida (and I went to UCF), I kept waiting for him to mention Full Sail. A couple of my friends went there before it was nationally known (2001ish) and it's always amusing to see it pop up everywhere now.

Edit: to include BWM, they might still be paying off the loans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

As someone originally from central Florida (and I went to UCF), I kept waiting for him to mention Full Sail. A couple of my friends went there before it was nationally known (2001ish) and it's always amusing to see it pop up everywhere now.

Hello fellow UCF grad. Yes, all the way back in 2002-2005 I remember people calling that place Fool Sail. Then in 2009, I worked with several people who went there and had >$100k in loans making ~$11.50/hr. One of the guys drove a ford excursion 25 miles one way to work.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

19 o'clock posted:

Actually, this has some relevancy to what I’m looking for right now: are there any decent non-profit driven online universities? I need a couple of classes for my CPA license because I’m a dumb masochist.

Is the answer really as simple as, “Anywhere but University of Phoenix?”

I've heard some ok to good things about Western Governor's University, honestly don't know much about it but people don't laugh when it gets brought up.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

tumblr hype man posted:

I've heard some ok to good things about Western Governor's University, honestly don't know much about it but people don't laugh when it gets brought up.

That seems to be the go-to for IT folk (at least a with continuing education). I think their degrees include cert exams in the price? Which seems very GWM as you get something else besides the BA or whatever.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

tumblr hype man posted:

Western Governor's is good if you plan on going straight into IT/Networking/Security, and the cert costs are built into it. Overall a pretty good deal.

I know there's a few good online colleges out there, like Excelsior College and Penn State World Campus.

I think there's one in Maryland that a few goons in GiP went to, University of Maryland University College.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I mean on the flip side other than presumably wanting to learn the material he already has the degree, I don't think anyone is gonna ask where he took 2 college classes to hit his 150 credit hours to sit for the CPA exam.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Cacafuego posted:

Hello fellow UCF grad. Yes, all the way back in 2002-2005 I remember people calling that place Fool Sail. Then in 2009, I worked with several people who went there and had >$100k in loans making ~$11.50/hr. One of the guys drove a ford excursion 25 miles one way to work.

They're at least accredited now but back in 2002-2005 they weren't. I've also heard they're not well regarded in the industry either to the point where people will toss out grad's resumes but you might get to see some WWE people around campus since they film NXT there.

I interviewed for a job there once and the lady interviewing me went to Phoenix University. I was pretty shocked that the scam tech school was staffed by people from a general scam school.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/aghf82/help_with_paypal_attempting_to_collect_debt_from/

quote:

(HOUSTON, Texas) My (50y M) son (currently 17y M) opened a PayPal account 3 years ago (when he was 14), as you know minors cannot legally enter into the signup contract with PayPal. My son used this account because he was very into the cryptocurrency space and wanted to buy/sell with it. Being 14 an internet scammer got a hold of him and charged back after a bitcoin sale was made legitimately, incurring a negative balance of $7500 on the PayPal account.

PayPal is not only actively attempting to collect this debt from my minor son, but has also now locked my own PayPal account that I’ve started to use for eBay sales.

We phoned in PayPal support (both the collections and limitations departments) and they both asked us to fax in documents (letter of explanation, birth certificate of my son) to prove the account was opened by a minor, and after this proof came in they assured us the PayPal account would be closed and the debt resolved.

We faxed in the documents a week ago, I received a new email from PayPal today stating they have not and will not close the account until the debt is paid.

What right does PayPal have to attempt to exercise a contract that legally my son could not have entered into?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
One of my facebook memories from 2017

Only registered members can see post attachments!

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
HopesDreams HODR -56.73%

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Leon noooooo :(

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Sirotan posted:

Leon noooooo :(
RIP in peace you noble BWM storyteller. You will be missed.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

But also pretty BWM for not shutting the gently caress up in C-SPAM once in a while.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

He got tankie mod and admined in d&d

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

That's sort of odd because even Caribbean medical schools are with rare exceptions a very good career investment, and domestic medical schools in the United States have generally been unwilling or unable to educate an adequate number of physicians. I would guess that Caribbean medical school loans are overall a teeny tiny fraction of the overall student loan debt burden and an even tinier fraction of the delinquent or defaulted student loan debt.

Iirc it's not the number educated, its control over the number of residency slots that artificially depresses doctors' ranks to keep wages up.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Iirc it's not the number educated, its control over the number of residency slots that artificially depresses doctors' ranks to keep wages up.

There are less medical school graduates than there are residency positions, we're importing thousands of foreign graduates a year to fill residency programs. Residency education is another issue.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Jack2142 posted:

I mean on the flip side other than presumably wanting to learn the material he already has the degree, I don't think anyone is gonna ask where he took 2 college classes to hit his 150 credit hours to sit for the CPA exam.

It’s even dumber, the board is annoyed that my accounting ethics class was in the Humanities department rather than the Accounting department. I took the class ten years ago when accounting ethics didn’t exist in the accounting department proper.

I just gotta push through. Adding the letters “CPA” after your name is p good with money, after all.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

He got tankie mod and admined in d&d

Holy poo poo. I thought there might be something more to it, but if you look at his rap sheet it is nearly all probations because a mod doesn't agree with his/her point of view. And this was in C-spam, not in D&D, which makes it even more strange since C-Spam is supposed to b a lot more tolerant of bullshitting and poo poo posting.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

"My son committed fraud by purporting he was older than he actually is - why is he being held accountable?!!?!"

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

19 o'clock posted:

"My son committed fraud by purporting he was older than he actually is - why is he being held accountable?!!?!"

I'm with the parents on this one. Paypal is dumb to let him sign up under 18. I don't care that he ~lied on the internet~ to some mega-corp that likes to gently caress over people. Onus is on them to verify ID.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Guy on reddit loses more than $50,000 while trading options

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/agovgl/only_invest_what_you_can_afford_to_lose_they_said/

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I don't think the kid intended to commit fraud. He just lied about his age, which hos do. Then he got scammed.

If you open an account for a made up person orde for someone who is not of age with no docs and no verifications then maybe you deserve what you get, paypal.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

I'm with the parents on this one. Paypal is dumb to let him sign up under 18. I don't care that he ~lied on the internet~ to some mega-corp that likes to gently caress over people. Onus is on them to verify ID.

How does PayPal get away with not verifying identities anyway? Pretty sure there’s the whole Patriot Act Know Your Customer thing for money laundering

Does their :airquote:not a bank:airquote: fine print exempt them somehow

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Baxate posted:

How does PayPal get away with not verifying identities anyway? Pretty sure there’s the whole Patriot Act Know Your Customer thing for money laundering

Does their :airquote:not a bank:airquote: fine print exempt them somehow

Bingo! They're not a bank. They can eat that loss and ban the person from ever having a paypal account. The parents are morons to sign or acknowledge anything other than a dispute with the credit agencies. :capitalism:

Recently they sent out a "warning!!!!!" about not being able to maintain a Paypal balance unless I took action. I wonder what law(suit?) changed that. Turns out if you just don't press anything they automatically sweep money into your bank account now. Sounds like a feature to me. (I have a dedicated checking account for PayPal (plus their payment app Venmo)) If money ever lands in it I sweep it out into a real checking account. Good luck with that whole blood from a stone thing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So PayPal is boned on the money, but Junior should probably be picking up trash every weekend for a couple of months as well.

But yeah, being ‘like a bank’ doesn’t mean you get all the benefits but none of the risk.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

This quote from that thread is so perfect:

quote:

If you think you've come up with a brilliant idea, just take a step back and remember that you are not smart...

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Cacafuego posted:

Hello fellow UCF grad. Yes, all the way back in 2002-2005 I remember people calling that place Fool Sail.
I grew up in Daytona and went to UCF to see all their theater productions, your drama department was amazing.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

It gets better, Robinhood disabled box spreads immediately following this

reddit posted:

This is some WSB Hall of Fame material right here. From the original cocksure post on how this trade was free money, to an almost 2000% loss, to Robinhood disabling box spreads because of it. An instant classic. Well done lad!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Devonaut posted:

This quote from that thread is so perfect:

Bad With Money 2019: just take a step back and remember that you are not smart...

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Chaotic Flame posted:

Bad With Money 2019: just take a step back and remember that you are not smart...
This is basically the number 1 rule for psychologically overcoming the allure of a lot of dangerous financial choices.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Ironically, he was so BWM that it might have been GWM.

RobinHood accidentally allowed him to collateralize more options (up to a total of $250k of leverage) with the legs of other options he had sold, in a convoluted strategy (short box spread) he believed would create a risk-free method of earning $37k, no matter the outcome, from an initial account balance of 5k. Other posters warned him that this wasn't how it was going to work out, and in the aftermath, the user ended up:

In real life, earning a 100% return on the 5k, since RobinHood evidently let him cash out $10k in the account before they closed his account, and liquidated him at an on-paper -$58k loss (-1800%), and caused RH to send a platform wide email disabling option box spread trades for every user, because of this one legendary idiot. But his stupidly was so great, that RobinHood might not want to sue him for the loss, because it would reveal how risk mitigation works (or doesn't work) at RobinHood.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Hoodwinker posted:

RIP in peace you noble BWM storyteller. You will be missed.
Can we let him rereg and helldump him to BFC?

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

therobit posted:

Holy poo poo. I thought there might be something more to it, but if you look at his rap sheet it is nearly all probations because a mod doesn't agree with his/her point of view.

Excellent username/ban reason combo

Man, this thread just won't be the same without the MVP :(

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
We all need to step up our game in the absence of our BWM superstar.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Bogle and LEON in one week. What a blow to the financially interested.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

therobit posted:

Holy poo poo. I thought there might be something more to it, but if you look at his rap sheet it is nearly all probations because a mod doesn't agree with his/her point of view. And this was in C-spam, not in D&D, which makes it even more strange since C-Spam is supposed to b a lot more tolerant of bullshitting and poo poo posting.

Agree 100%. Most of that didn't even seem to warrant a probation (unless there's a weird rule in there because I didn't read them), let alone a permaban.

Dik Hz posted:

Can we let him rereg and helldump him to BFC?

Please can we do this?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Reading the several posts he got banned or probated for, maybe he really shouldn't have been making racist posts. Or posting in D&D repeatedly. But the circumstances of his banning were sketchy as hell because the 2020 Democratic Primary thread was moved from D&D to C-SPAM and the mods of C-SPAM probated and banned other people for posts made months before (when the thread was in another forum) because those posts broke C-SPAM rules.

Posting in D&D seems to be BWAccount.

Edit: RIP Bogwitch stories though, that lady scamming people with essential oils and connections to Gaia was pure choice.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 17, 2019

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Did he get perma'd? Otherwise it's just time to swipe ye old credit card again and get back to it.

Discover should consider making forums re-regging one of their rotating categories at this point.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Did he get perma'd? Otherwise it's just time to swipe ye old credit card again and get back to it.

Discover should consider making forums re-regging one of their rotating categories at this point.
He done got perm'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
And yet OwlofCreamCheese continues to post. :sigh: