Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

The N64 controllers required you to never be touching the analog stick while powering on the console, because it calibrated neutral based on the stick's position at startup.
Every game actually has a button command (L+R+START) to recalibrate neutral in case you screwed up. I believe it's listed in every game manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Mister Facetious posted:

The N64 controllers required you to never be touching the analog stick while powering on the console, because it calibrated neutral based on the stick's position at startup.

Holy poo poo I forgot about that and immediately remembered whoever accidentally touched their stick during start up got yelled at.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Look Sir Droids posted:

Holy poo poo I forgot about that and immediately remembered whoever accidentally touched their stick during start up got yelled at.

It's the same thing with the classic controller for the Wii as well, though disconnecting and reconnecting fixes it quickly. Also, no yelling.

Hey, the parental controls app... Am I correct in thinking that it affects every profile on the Switch that's registered with it? Or is there any way to only limit one profile (my son's)?

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

NMH got the rare Avoid designation from Eurogamer and most of the reviews have been pretty negative, it sounds just as droll as I expect and most of the positive listed in reviews have been akin to "for hardcore fans only" but even as a big fan of the series and developer, I can't justify buying it (much less buy a loving *season pass* for this)

Yeah it's getting pretty poor reviews from multiple sites. A crying shame as this was one of the games that got me got me hyped for the Switch but it looks like it's going to fall short of the mark.

Frankly I'm just still pissed they didn't put online coop in. Seems like a no brainer with how much they were trying to sell the coop mode in the first place.

Calihan fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 17, 2019

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

That was really common behaviour for analog sticks and wasn't really the result of shoddy hardware.

What is the result of shoddy hardware is that the N64 sticks gradually destroy themselves during normal use because parts grind against each other, but at least they last a good long while and can be easily replaced.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

BattleMaster posted:

That was really common behaviour for analog sticks and wasn't really the result of shoddy hardware.

What is the result of shoddy hardware is that the N64 sticks gradually destroy themselves during normal use because parts grind against each other, but at least they last a good long while and can be easily replaced.

They lasted a game of Mario party and they weren’t easily replaceable by dumb idiot 12 year olds

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Calaveron posted:

They lasted a game of Mario party and they weren’t easily replaceable by dumb idiot 12 year olds

True but the poo poo Mario Party wanted you to do to them was hardly normal use.

Remember Nintendo issuing gloves so kids didn't erode holes into their hands?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Kins posted:

Every game actually has a button command (L+R+START) to recalibrate neutral in case you screwed up. I believe it's listed in every game manual.

I never owned one myself. *shrugs*

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
"Shoddy" Nintendo hardware is still more reliable than "average" Sony and Microsoft hardware.

DLC Inc posted:

NMH got the rare Avoid designation from Eurogamer and most of the reviews have been pretty negative, it sounds just as droll as I expect and most of the positive listed in reviews have been akin to "for hardcore fans only" but even as a big fan of the series and developer, I can't justify buying it (much less buy a loving *season pass* for this)

I'm really considering canceling my pre-order.

I realize that the game is divisive but the complaints seem to be that not only is the gameplay pretty bad, but the "crazy Suda presentation" stuff comes off as forced and hamfisted.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

What? It really did. Makes more sense than having to remove one of the Joy-Cons to use as a second controller every time I want to save.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

"Shoddy" Nintendo hardware is still more reliable than "average" Sony and Microsoft hardware.

*Looks over at pair of 360 controllers I've used every day for a dozen years.*

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm really considering canceling my pre-order.

I realize that the game is divisive but the complaints seem to be that not only is the gameplay pretty bad, but the "crazy Suda presentation" stuff comes off as forced and hamfisted.

so it's a post nmh1 suda game

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

have any reviews said anything about the music in travis strikes back? 'cause the music is the only thing that's 100% fantastic in the past two games

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Imagined posted:

I don't know a single person with a 360 that did not break.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Imagined posted:

How’d that original Xbox 360 work out for a bunch of people

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Kvlt! posted:

So would you reccomend Rorona after finishing Lydie and Suelle and then Totori and Meruru or the other way around?

That's just the order they go in as they are part of a trilogy with light continuity. Meruru was my favorite of the three, but all of the games are great chill-out RPGs with a crafting focus and fun characters.

If you have a mind to eventually play all 3 I'd say just get the package deal and play them in order. Rorona does have the tightest timeline (though not super strict and more just to provide structure and keep the game moving), so if you want to pick just one pick Totori or Meruru.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Brother Entropy posted:

have any reviews said anything about the music in travis strikes back? 'cause the music is the only thing that's 100% fantastic in the past two games

According to Wikipedia, neither Masafumi Takada and most of the NMH2 cast did not come back to do the music for TSA. Jun Fukuda came back solely for sound effects, but the main OST is done by Japanese DJs DJ Abo and DJ 1-2

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Real GCN controllers are indeed the best for smash, but because of the adapter they actually have the longest input delay :v:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Policenaut posted:

According to Wikipedia, neither Masafumi Takada and most of the NMH2 cast did not come back to do the music for TSA. Jun Fukuda came back solely for sound effects, but the main OST is done by Japanese DJs DJ Abo and DJ 1-2

that's a shame, between NMH, killer 7, and dangan ronpa masafumi takada is the GOAT

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bottom Liner posted:

Real GCN controllers are indeed the best for smash, but because of the adapter they actually have the longest input delay :v:

Where’d you hear that? I read they had the least.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Spacebump posted:

I don't know a single person with a 360 that did not break.

Weren't we talking about controllers?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

SeANMcBAY posted:

Where’d you hear that? I read they had the least.

https://twitter.com/bearunlv/status/1072224399502102533?s=21

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Imagined posted:

You literally couldn't have picked a worse console to bring up.

Brother Entropy posted:

so it's a post nmh1 suda game
That's what I'm worried about. To be fair I realize that Suda didn't work on any games post NMH, but I was hoping thaw with this game the company would return to form now that he's back at the helm.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

What about the 360 itself?

Man I sold that poo poo like 10 years ago. Again, we were having controller chat. I'm just saying I RMAd my Switch once already for left Joycon problems and then had the same problem again after the warranty and had to buy a new pair.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Oh no, that's saying that Ultimate has the worst input lag in the series. (Don't ever expect this to get fixed. It seems to be a huge problem with first party Nintendo games on the Switch.) Out of all the controllers for Ultimate, the Gamecube one has the least. The other controller options weren't included in that infographic.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Given Ive already gone through 2 sets of left joycons due to stick drift since june of last year Im gonna go with the switch left joycon is the shittiest single piece of gaming hardware Ive ever bought, worse than any madcatz or other controller knockoff Ive had.

Note, Im sure there are waaaaay worse ones out there I just didnt buy them

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Imagined posted:

Man I sold that poo poo like 10 years ago. Again, we were having controller chat. I'm just saying I RMAd my Switch once already for left Joycon problems and then had the same problem again after the warranty and had to buy a new pair.

No we're not. Even when this thread brought up Nintendo's faults they were non-controller related save the N64.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

HenryEx posted:

I mean i know i was implicitly advocating for wireless play in my previous posts but whenever i wasn't playing on the TV but my monitor instead, i've regularly died in BotW due to dropped Joycon inputs missing the "stop walking" command while the dock is literally 10 inches away from my hands

That's not a dropped input, your left analog stick is hosed up. Get some contact cleaner.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

No we're not. Even when this thread brought up Nintendo's faults they were non-controller related save the N64.

And this thread of conversation began because of what piece of Switch hardware?

If you said "The controller", congratulations, you're a winner.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Imagined posted:

Weren't we talking about controllers?

My bad I thought hardware in general.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That’s for the game in general compared to the others. The GCN controller actually fairs best if we’re just talking Ultimate.

Btw, the increased lag isn’t a big deal as you’d expect due to the buffering system Ultimate has.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Charles Get-Out posted:

That's just the order they go in as they are part of a trilogy with light continuity. Meruru was my favorite of the three, but all of the games are great chill-out RPGs with a crafting focus and fun characters.

If you have a mind to eventually play all 3 I'd say just get the package deal and play them in order. Rorona does have the tightest timeline (though not super strict and more just to provide structure and keep the game moving), so if you want to pick just one pick Totori or Meruru.

Got it, I think I'll start with Rorona and then see if I like it and then continue to the other two if I do. Thank you for your help!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

We literally are. Read the last couple of pages of the thread. That’s why he specifically said his 360 controller. Context matters.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I had an original Xbox 360 RRoD on me after a couple of years after it had been occasionally crashing and freezing so I was expecting it, but I disconnected everything and reconnected it and it continued working for another 6 years until I bought an Xbone with no more errors, apart from the disc tray occasionally sticking.

Googling tells me I bought the console after the main problems were identified so maybe I got a fixed version and the RRoD was something unrelated

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 17, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My left joycon stick is hosed up already and I’ve owned the switch for less than a month, it’s insane.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My left joycon stick is hosed up already and I’ve owned the switch for less than a month, it’s insane.

Same thing happened to me, but bc my kid dropped it. Buy new set of joycons, return the busted one the next day.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Also I just beat the Camel Divine beast in BotW and 1: gently caress that thing and 2: having found the final great fairy and watching with concerned interest the culmination of the fairys' lust for link, I feel confident in saying that some really weird dudes helped to make the game

And that's great, I love Nintendo weird, just the whole sequence with the crossdressing and giant Amazonian women molesting your hero is rather odd

Also it would be great if the queer male characters weren't portrayed quite so mincingly regressive

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Imagined posted:

And Best Buy won't pricematch them?

Not when the other retailers don’t have listings for it on their websites :ohdear:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Imagined posted:

nice, the one controller with a worse d pad than the switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

How so? Drifting?

I’ve had to replace mine twice but this newest pair is lasting a lot longer even though I’ve banged them up quite a few times. Fingers crossed.