Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
This game has been awesome so far, but after securing a reliable stream of income there just anything to do. The PHQ missions were actually fun and i wish there was more stuff like that. I know patch 2.0 won't add much other than stability, and i don't expect mods to fix faction warfare in a super fulfilling way, so at this point it looks like I'm waiting on expansions to add an end-game. The base game has been a really fun demo of what X4 can become though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Archonex posted:

Are the carriers and destroyers supposed to also be mobile factories? Because that'd explain why carriers kinda suck as is. If they can just keep pumping out infinite fighters and frigates every minute that'd up their capabilities considerably and turn them into mobile base ships.

No, they don't build anything you have to stock then with ships yourself. Carriers have always been a bit weak in the base X games. Previous games have mods that add a lot of functionality to them.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

No, they don't build anything you have to stock then with ships yourself. Carriers have always been a bit weak in the base X games. Previous games have mods that add a lot of functionality to them.

Doesn't explain the production console on some of the capitals. Those handle producing wares and ships. But yeah. Carriers have always been more of a force projection thing once they were modded to work properly.

Maybe they'll let capitals repair ships at some point? That'd give us a good reason to use carriers. The fact that a rearm command isn't in yet to let fighters and frigates restock missiles and supplies is also kinda hosed.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

if you're talking about the production console on the docks, i think that's just part of the dock prop.

1 service crew on a fighter will do most of the repairing you need anyway, but yeah. Full featured carriers would be nice. Particularly if there were ships that catered towards having a support structure, like a bomber with lots of launchers but low missile storage.

Egosoft sadly still kinda sucks at balance and ship mechanics

On that note, one dumbfire launcher can roast a destroyers surface elements en masse with 1000-cr dumbfires... Not only did it take more shots in X Rebirth, but since the ships were bigger you couldnt wipe out a whole facing in one go except on the weakest ships.

I really want to dig in and rebalance stuff, but i want to put ventures through their paces....

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 5, 2019

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

the problem with carriers is that, in order for them to be good, you need really powerful small craft (to serve as the carrier's weapons) that also have gently caress-all range (to need the carrier in the first place). with only the former, you just have fighter-dominant combat which is cool but overdone, and with only the latter you just have shittier corvettes.

you can't have fuckall range unless you have a fuel system for all ships, or something like jumpdrives as the primary means of travel. either way you need a map big enough where the sheer size of it (either travel time or distance between fueling stations) becomes an issue so you can't just fly a fighterswarm to wherever you need it and bypass the carrier entirely.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Radio Free Kobold posted:

the problem with carriers is that, in order for them to be good, you need really powerful small craft (to serve as the carrier's weapons) that also have gently caress-all range (to need the carrier in the first place). with only the former, you just have fighter-dominant combat which is cool but overdone, and with only the latter you just have shittier corvettes.

you can't have fuckall range unless you have a fuel system for all ships, or something like jumpdrives as the primary means of travel. either way you need a map big enough where the sheer size of it (either travel time or distance between fueling stations) becomes an issue so you can't just fly a fighterswarm to wherever you need it and bypass the carrier entirely.

One possible role as is for a carrier would be barreling through a jump gate that has a bunch of mines spammed all over it and surviving better than single small ships.

I've seen it only a few times. But it was always a rude surprise as an uninvolved 3rd party popular on both sides of a jump gate to be reminded factions love cheap "target everyone, you say?" mine types rather than friend foe mines :supaburn:

The map may be small, but no jump drive means gate chokepoints are (in theory) important.... Except the superhighway would carry you to the opposite side of a main loop sector before someone can say "Hey, you're not supposed to be here!" :doh:

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
For a carrier to be useful I'd love to be able to set it up to automatically build and maintain fighter wings to custom templates and then have a working mission system for the fighters.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Section Z posted:

The map may be small, but no jump drive means gate chokepoints are (in theory) important.... Except the superhighway would carry you to the opposite side of a main loop sector before someone can say "Hey, you're not supposed to be here!" :doh:

its baffling to me that there's highways between PAR and HOP

The whole map lacks no mans lands, and it seems to be deliberate because the only pirate sector gap i've encountered has the gates basically 2 inches from eachother

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Polikarpov posted:

For a carrier to be useful I'd love to be able to set it up to automatically build and maintain fighter wings to custom templates and then have a working mission system for the fighters.

Yeah it could be quite useful logistically, with a larger map, as a mobile fighter base.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
X:Rebirth seemed to do it right, in that the carrier shat out tons of drones that could actually wreck poo poo, but the drones couldn't use the highways or jump, and would deactivate if the carrier died. I think that's how it worked, anyway.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've wanted a mod that lets carriers act as mobile shipyards ala Homeworld for X since I first started playing.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

For example, the program that modifies the LOD settings in the CAT files to make the game last longer on 2gb cards doesnt cause <Modified>.

Which mod is this?

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Radio Free Kobold posted:

the problem with carriers is that, in order for them to be good, you need really powerful small craft

Couldn't it be more like a Protos Carrier where the role is to overwhelm with a bunch of relatively small/weak craft

Like when I think of long range powerful weaponry in games, part of the appeal is the slight delay between pressing the button and the immediate death that should follow, timing becomes a gameplay mechanic and that slight delay serves like a rising beat before crescendo in a song.

So when I think of what carrier type thing I have enjoyed the most, it's been the Protos Carriers, where you just go 'unleash the death swarm' and get you sit back as the angry hive of robots gently caress up your enemies and leave them struggling to track. The game already has defense drones, why not let carriers just become drone platforms. Have different drones as well, bombing drones designed for long range swarm artillery strikes, etc

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Morphix posted:

Couldn't it be more like a Protos Carrier where the role is to overwhelm with a bunch of relatively small/weak craft

Like when I think of long range powerful weaponry in games, part of the appeal is the slight delay between pressing the button and the immediate death that should follow, timing becomes a gameplay mechanic and that slight delay serves like a rising beat before crescendo in a song.

So when I think of what carrier type thing I have enjoyed the most, it's been the Protos Carriers, where you just go 'unleash the death swarm' and get you sit back as the angry hive of robots gently caress up your enemies and leave them struggling to track. The game already has defense drones, why not let carriers just become drone platforms. Have different drones as well, bombing drones designed for long range swarm artillery strikes, etc

Fighters kinda work like that already. You can arm some of them with torpedos and they do some serious damage to capital ships. And a mass of fighters do a pretty good job of overwhelming turrets.

The issue it's that the carrier is pretty superfluous to all of this. You can just have a mass of fighters on their own, or following a few corvettes and achieve the same thing.

IRL carriers work because fighter jets have very limited range and a moving airport is very useful as force projection. If carriers in game had an excellent travel speed or jump drive they could serve as some kind of rapid response force. Maybe they could rearm missiles too. But right now it takes so god drat long to dock everything after a fight it's infuriating. Also they can't even use highways to move around so they are always slower than smaller ships.

Shalebridge Cradle fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 9, 2019

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Fighters kinda work like that already. You can arm some of them with torpedos and they do some serious damage to capital ships. And a mass of fighters do a pretty good job of overwhelming turrets.

The issue it's that the carrier is pretty superfluous to all of this. You can just have a mass of fighters on their own, or following a few corvettes and achieve the same thing.

IRL carriers work because fighter jets have very limited range and a moving airport is very useful as force projection. If carriers in game had an excellent travel speed or jump drive they could serve as some kind of rapid response force. Maybe they could rearm missiles too. But right now it takes so god drat long to dock everything after a fight it's infuriating.

I mean we're using carriers to describe sea vessels, I'm talking about just from a purely gameplay / fun stand point. You don't really get the sense you're unleashing anything with the carriers because it takes forever for the craft to board/take-off. I want like tiny drones factories, so say it'd be like 3 drones per small fighter, and the fighter unless it had anti drone shotgun stye weaponry would be useless, so you'd arm corvettes that could sort of provide a canopy of protection against this death swarm of drones.

I don't think small fighters should be really an effective approach to fighting carriers I guess, even though in real life kamikazee attacks prove effective or whatever.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Oh I agree with you. It doesn't matter what their role is IRL as long as they are cool and fun in game. I want to see a carrier vomit out dozens of fighters on command and watch cool space battles from the bridge of my big space ship.

I was more thinking out loud about ways they could be given a purpose in game. There's nothing wrong with having a ship that is a big drone carrier but one of the things I loved most about the X series is being able to hop in any ship and go. There is something fun about the idea of jumping into a fighter in your own carrier and playing Wing Commander again.

Great now I wish you were actually launched out of the carrier at high speed instead of just kind of undocking.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Oh I agree with you. It doesn't matter what their role is IRL as long as they are cool and fun in game. I want to see a carrier vomit out dozens of fighters on command and watch cool space battles from the bridge of my big space ship.

I was more thinking out loud about ways they could be given a purpose in game. There's nothing wrong with having a ship that is a big drone carrier but one of the things I loved most about the X series is being able to hop in any ship and go. There is something fun about the idea of jumping into a fighter in your own carrier and playing Wing Commander again.

Great now I wish you were actually launched out of the carrier at high speed instead of just kind of undocking.

totes, being able to fly even the tiniest of craft is fun, but there being something smaller, more drone like that you just don't get to ever control would be more akin to the command and control gameplay you'd expect from the deck of your carrier. Like even though mechanically it would have been useful to be able to control individual drones from Protos Carriers, I think it would have taken away from that 'unleash the swarm' feeling when you deployed them (reaver becomes almost a micro puzzle like experience vs carrier being this ultimate expression of resource macro managment, now watch as you unleash your superior death factories), if in the back of your head you always knew that if you only could micro like the pros, you could really unleash the swarm. It wouldn't be this uncontrollable ball of death you unleash, instead it would be another mechanic to bother about microing.

I just want to be on the deck of a protoss carrier when my drones get unleashed :(

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Which mod is this?

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=409184

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Thank you!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Between this and X3TC, which is more suited as an empire builder? Is the galaxy static in TC, just waiting for me to sink my righteous claws into their territory, or do they both act and react?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

DJ Dizzy posted:

Between this and X3TC, which is more suited as an empire builder? Is the galaxy static in TC, just waiting for me to sink my righteous claws into their territory, or do they both act and react?

TC felt more static to me than X4. Despite the complaints I have about it, X4 feels more alive. With the latest patches I am seeing actual PAR incursions into HOP territory and fairly massive fights resulting. There hasn't been a single sector thats changed hands though.

Also for just straight up empire building I can't stress enough how much better it is in X4. Building a big complex is well integrated into the base game as opposed to a living nightmare in X3 (without mods). Outfitting ships is also dead simple. Instead of forcing you to scour every equipment dock and weapon factory in the universe for the guns you want they are just built with the ship. So you can order 40 fighters and 5 corvettes at the same time and they are all ready to go.

That being said TC and AP obviously have a huge mod collection built up, and many of them vastly improve the base game. Litcube's Universe for AP is almost a new game and might be just what you are looking for.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'd suggest something like litcube's universe yeah, X4 has some solid foundations for those sorts of things but it needs a bigger world I think and a balance pass.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

note, if you do anything but the lod stuff, it will cause modified

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Aight. I will give litcubes a shot!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Is Mayhem worth giving a shot?

Dermit
Mar 22, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Mayhem is extremely good but a different take on empire building that straight Litcube. Instead of buying ships from stations it's more or less centered around owning territory and using that territory to create the ships/weapons/other crap your empire needs. It has, far and away, the most stream lined changes to empire management in any mod I've tried for X3, yet it's definitely a different experience than vanilla or Litcube. I loved it, but it might be not be for everyone.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I suppose its a good idea to play some vanilla or XRM before moving on to litcube/mayhem. I have no clue how to do anything :haw:

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

I don't know if it's been stated in thread yet but I solved a problem since 1.2 with my radar on a SLI/ultrawide-screen setup. So far the devs have been like "oh you're ultrawide, that's interesting, maybe try reducing the UI scale?" "Have you tried setting these options in the config file?" So it hasn't helped anybody given that they've been config file gating and/or blaming everything "radar" on it. even though it's just a buried game option that support is misunderstanding due to usability problems. So, if you started the game and enjoyed a cool looking circular functional radar, then tweaked settings to improve FPS, then found your radar is a square shape and isn't even working like "radar" anymore it's likely you switched radar settings without even knowing you did.

The setting is NOT under gameplay settings. It's under Graphic Settings and you have to manually select "high" afaik.

for RADAR
and then

enable the TOGGLE RADAR MODE keyboard/controller key (buttan 15 for me above; make it whatever suits you) to swap between radar modes in the general control settings.

Then you should be able to swap between :airquote: radar and lovely :wtf: radar on the fly.

It's pretty hosed up that the default control settings supply a one way trip to lovely unusable radar and support blames it on fun monitor sizes but hey, it's Egosoft :/ what we gonna do?

note: it's possible the functional radar may work on lower settings than "high" but that was the only setting I could get to work on a 1070 with g-sync monitor; after the first launch/play session on a clean unmodded install.

edit: thumbnailed images and highlighted for clarity

PoopinClumpin fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 11, 2019

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Send a copy of that to their support team. They will likely be very happy that someone found a solution, and they may be able to fix the actual problem with these details because square radar that doesn't work sounds like a bugged low end radar.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

pixaal posted:

Send a copy of that to their support team. They will likely be very happy that someone found a solution, and they may be able to fix the actual problem with these details because square radar that doesn't work sounds like a bugged low end radar.

Seriously, these guys are responsive to complaints like this.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Oh I did, I was in Devnet beta back in July. This isn't my first Egosoft rodeo. I'm just putting the info here because it will likely only be fixed in 2.0 or 2.5 (if ever)

edit: I noticed the modular design of the ships in X4 creates some fun possibilities for ship mods. Would anyone be interested in a Cowboy Bebop mod? Half the ships already look like the Redtail as it is

PoopinClumpin fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 11, 2019

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

pixaal posted:

Yeah the main problem is that complaints about total Radar loss after changing radar settings are masking the bulk of actual radar problems due to the Radar mode swap option. Basically you can turn radar off, you can have it in your chin HUD, or you can have it "integrated" to the dashboard. But if you integrate it, it becomes a basic square shaped version automatically. Then the game has no default mapping button to switch back to the pretty RGB smudge FX (and actually useful) mode. So the devs and support focus on helping people get radar working in general, while lots of people are actually just trying to get the original radar function back without knowing that there's a legit unmapped button setting waiting to help.
Edit: I don't mean it as hypercriticism or anything I just wanted to let people know that there are radar issues that have nothing to do with aspect ratio or general GFX & videocard settings. Bernd and co know what side the bread is buttered on and if you're not running 16:9 with a kbd/mouse+ xbox controller then they can't really do a hell of a lot and I understand that; otherwise the game has been :gizz: for me :)

PoopinClumpin fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 11, 2019

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

PoopinClumpin posted:

Oh I did, I was in Devnet beta back in July. This isn't my first Egosoft rodeo. I'm just putting the info here because it will likely only be fixed in 2.0 or 2.5 (if ever)

edit: I noticed the modular design of the ships in X4 creates some fun possibilities for ship mods. Would anyone be interested in a Cowboy Bebop mod? Half the ships already look like the Redtail as it is

Let me be the first to say "Go for it"! and Maybe I will get a reply to say "OK!" To getting the big pink fuckers aka the Khock aka the meshes from xtra ships into x4.

i hate photobucket.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
How the absolute gently caress did this fly under my radar? Bugs be damned, I played X3 at launch.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

staberind posted:

Let me be the first to say "Go for it"! and Maybe I will get a reply to say "OK!" To getting the big pink fuckers aka the Khock aka the meshes from xtra ships into x4.

i hate photobucket.

If you put those in X4 I will love you long time. The Advanced Kha'ak poo poo is the ENTIRE reason I stuck with XRM over LitCube's.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

staberind posted:

i hate photobucket.

Just give it a lil while, by 2.5 pretty much anything immediately convertible will be. The hardest part is going to be modifying the existing ship designs to adhere to expected design changes for x4. Like
Must have 2x3 meters to stand up and reach airlock
must have at least one exterior modeled hinge and bone to attach modular engines
ditto for guns.
in some cases it will be likely that certain ship designs (i'm thinking like python split or similar) that will need major redesign to work in x4

edit: essentially long,dart-shaped ships of x3, TC, AP like the hyperion, split ships, will need serious reconsideration. but anything wide and flat (B1 bombery) like paranid will be pretty easy to handle, I think.

PoopinClumpin fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 19, 2019

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Having unique ship dimensions per race, along with unique goods, could introduce an interesting complexity to ship type and supply chain management, which is missing atm.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Mokotow posted:

Having unique ship dimensions per race, along with unique goods, could introduce an interesting complexity to ship type and supply chain management, which is missing atm.

I agree, and I'd really love to see that kind of gameplay show up where it might be cheaper to populate simple mining vessels but also try to achieve access to bigger/better ship hulls. Right now it's all fairly linear.

Edit: I know we're not long past 1.5 yet but it seems like there's no showstoppers. Is the OP fair still to say that there's time to wait? :maga:The game feels solid to me.

Edit tryna arwing with some interiors.

PoopinClumpin fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 20, 2019

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Is there a certain place I can find skilled crew members, such as captains who can actually autotrade, or do I have to play 'savescum lottery' when buying Mercury freighters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Falken posted:

or do I have to play 'savescum lottery' when buying Mercury freighters?
Got it in one. There has been some luck in picking high presets then picking the parts you want, though that could very well be confrimation bias given how many times cheap traders have given me 3 stars while trying that with M traders still spits out "3 stars! Ooops, it's a 2 piloting with some engineering and moral!"