Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Xelkelvos posted:

Depends on how much cocaine she gets (it's probably none)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Doltos posted:

Who let /r/athiesm leak?

it's pretty funny to think about what the SA thread would have been like, if this show had premiered in, say, 2005

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
While it's definitely interesting to think about, there's almost zero percent chance that "The show is saying that capitalism is an inherently immoral system that taints us all" will be a credible take after the last episode of this season airs.

I fully expect them to walk it in a different direction as that's at once too bleak, too "political", and too challenging a concept to expect from an NBC funny show.

So we might as well post about what we think will end up being the issue by the time the season ends. I guess what someone above wrote which was like "the system tallies all the negative unintended consequences and externalities, but none of the positive ones" is the safest one. But I think we can do better

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

my fear for the next episode is that one or more of the humans are going to get eaten by pancakes, in order to demonstrate unintended consequences to the judge. Trolley problem "sacrifice one Eleanor to save a billion souls" kind of deal.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ashrik posted:

While it's definitely interesting to think about, there's almost zero percent chance that "The show is saying that capitalism is an inherently immoral system that taints us all" will be a credible take after the last episode of this season airs.

I fully expect them to walk it in a different direction as that's at once too bleak, too "political", and too challenging a concept to expect from an NBC funny show.

So we might as well post about what we think will end up being the issue by the time the season ends. I guess what someone above wrote which was like "the system tallies all the negative unintended consequences and externalities, but none of the positive ones" is the safest one. But I think we can do better

I think they'll do what they kind of always have done, and what they even did with the "capitalism bad" mini-rant from this latest episode. They'll introduce a serious concept but abstract it enough so it's palatable to a wider audience, while still giving people who care enough to think about it enough to chew on.

Like Michael's takeaway "this guy bought a flower but turns out there's no ethical consumption under capitalism" was "life has gotten more 'complicated' ". Both the original message is there for anyone to see but the lesson has the edges softened so people who don't want to think about it don't have to.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ashrik posted:

Eh Schur has always been political (Parks & Rec) and a gay black man is going to war with the NYPD over broken windows, stop and frisk etc on B99 so I don't think NBC cares as long as they make money.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
The AV Club has a really weird take on this last episode that isn't in line with the way I read it at all:

av club posted:

Tahani blurts out, in one of those tellingly highlighted statements designed to make our conspiracy antennae twitch, “There are so many unintended consequences to well-intentioned actions, it feels like a game you can’t win.” The alacrity with which Michael picks up those vibrations—and the Book Of Dougs—should make our antennae twitch even more. After all, Michael is holding onto the conviction that the real proof of the Bad Place hacking scandal is that Doug Forcett won’t get into the Good Place. Even though, as we’ve seen, poor Doug’s life of asceticism and pee-drinking is both only a desperate attempt to avoid personal damnation, and a moral exemplar only to those who wish to turn their existences into a panic-laden, groveling joke. Here again, Michael’s epiphany is deeply suspect.

...we’re predisposed to cheer on such decisive action, and we should—even if it’s becoming clearer and clearer as this third season heads for a close that the moral maze these particular people are trapped in isn’t the shape they think it is.

I didn't get the impression at all that Michael was lying about his epiphany, or that we are supposed to be suspicious of the discoveries he has made. I know it's the AV Club's job to overthink and overanalyze even the most basic of TV shows, but am I alone here? Did anyone else get the impression that Michael is not being truthful about the discoveries they just made about the point system?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Ishamael posted:

The AV Club has a really weird take on this last episode that isn't in line with the way I read it at all:

I didn't get the impression at all that Michael was lying about his epiphany, or that we are supposed to be suspicious of the discoveries he has made. I know it's the AV Club's job to overthink and overanalyze even the most basic of TV shows, but am I alone here? Did anyone else get the impression that Michael is not being truthful about the discoveries they just made about the point system?

I didn't think they were thinking Michael was lying, but he's wrong and that's not really the problem that needs to be solved.

The only thing that has made me suspect Michael is hiding something is when he kicked Shawn through the door before he could finish his speech because it felt like he was worried Shawn was about to spill something.

Also, is there a quality tv review site out there? AV Club has become pretty lovely.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ishamael posted:

it's possible that michael is doing some kind of long con since, he is a demon who likes to torture people after all, and his face turn to de facto good guy was kind of abrupt but the show simply does not work post season one unless one of two things happen

-michael rapidly sheds his eternity of demonic character and becomes a protagonist
-you write ted danson off the show

and there's only one real answer here

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

luxury handset posted:

it's possible that michael is doing some kind of long con since, he is a demon who likes to torture people after all, and his face turn to de facto good guy was kind of abrupt but the show simply does not work post season one unless one of two things happen

-michael rapidly sheds his eternity of demonic character and becomes a protagonist
-you write ted danson off the show

and there's only one real answer here

I think it would actually be a crime to write national treasure Ted Danson out of anything. Instant guaranteed access to the Bad Place.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ishamael posted:

The AV club is terrible and has been for a while but that's a fun idea that Michael is still holding on to cards. I never trusted his sudden switch to being a good guy either.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Michael still being evil makes zero sense.

We saw him when he was being interrogated by Shawn and there were no members of the Soul Squad there so no reason to keep up the act.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

1glitch0 posted:

Also, is there a quality tv review site out there? AV Club has become pretty lovely.

I don't know of any good compehensive sites right now, but Alan Sepinwall (currently at Rolling Stone) does good reviews of the sort of shows he likes, including this one.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Doltos posted:

The AV club is terrible and has been for a while but that's a fun idea that Michael is still holding on to cards. I never trusted his sudden switch to being a good guy either.

I don't know why I'm opening up the timeline can of worms again, but from Michael's perspective that one episode of season 2 was like 300 years. Plenty of time to get to know the humans and not want to torture them anymore.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Michael still being evil makes zero sense.

We saw him when he was being interrogated by Shawn and there were no members of the Soul Squad there so no reason to keep up the act.

If you're going down that rabbit hole, Janet was there, in disguise. If Bad Place management is trying to get a good place janet down to their level that'd be a fun twist.

I don't think this is what the show is going for though, as that wouldn't gel with the tone that's been set.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
One little mystery that I'd love to see resolved is how Michael was able to get a Good Place Janet so easily. They made a point of calling it out in the second season, and Michael gave an off handed comment about the Good Place not considering the possibility of a Janet being stolen, but it felt like the show was hinting not to take that at face value.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
Honestly knowing what we know now I suspect the answer to that is "The Good Place either assumed they just made a bureaucratic error, or never got around to convening a committee to assign someone to investigate the matter"

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Given that the Good Place hasn't had anyone new admitted for so long they probably haven't needed any new Janets for that long either and the Janet warehouse has got a bit neglected.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

The only thing that has made me suspect Michael is hiding something is when he kicked Shawn through the door before he could finish his speech because it felt like he was worried Shawn was about to spill something.
"Why let him keep saying mean stuff, right?"

This moment, and Michael's certainty in his rotating hypotheses, is pretty consistent with his S2/S3 shift in character: the demon's grasped that he should do good things to improve his friends' lives, but hasn't quite worked out the specifics. With the squad on the run, he's been frantically pulling metaphorical trolley levers all over the place. And when he kicks Shawn away, the joke is that it loses the group some information they (and we) really wanted to hear.

We're watching this show, so of course we know they'll tear down a new status quo as soon as they finish building one up. And with Schur's love of callbacks, I doubt we'll never see Evil Michael come back out in some circumstance at some point in the (lol) future. But there's no way Michael's currently scamming the gang.

having said all that, I'm guessing the time knife is about to gently caress things up real quick

emgeejay fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 17, 2019

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

enki42 posted:

One little mystery that I'd love to see resolved is how Michael was able to get a Good Place Janet so easily. They made a point of calling it out in the second season, and Michael gave an off handed comment about the Good Place not considering the possibility of a Janet being stolen, but it felt like the show was hinting not to take that at face value.

this was explained in the most recent episode. the good place police are still arguing over which kind of cruelty-free paper they should use to print out the squad assignments for the case

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

emgeejay posted:

"Why let him keep saying mean stuff, right?"

This moment, and Michael's certainty in his rotating hypotheses, is pretty consistent with his S2/S3 shift in character: the demon's grasped that he should do good things to improve his friends' lives, but hasn't quite worked out the specifics. With the squad on the run, he's been frantically pulling metaphorical trolley levers all over the place. And when he kicks Shawn away, the joke is that it loses the group some information they (and we) really wanted to hear.

We're watching this show, so of course we know they'll tear down a new status quo as soon as they finish building one up. And with Schur's love of callbacks, I doubt we'll never see Evil Michael come back out in some circumstance at some point in the (lol) future. But there's no way Michael's currently scamming the gang.

having said all that, I'm guessing the time knife is about to gently caress things up real quick

Time knife is just for cutting pancakes. That's all. The pancakes otoh...

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

enki42 posted:

from what we've seen of the Good Place so far he just walked right in and took a janet because nobody locked the door or questioned why he might be there

*nervously touching face* "hi, i'm the... janet inspector, i'm here to take a janet to my janet inspection room, so i can make sure she's of the very best quality"

"well, all our janets are as perfect as they can possibly be, but i don't see the harm in letting you have a look! one millionth door on the left :D!"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the time-knife is something from the Dune series of books, right? i'm pretty sure i remember this but search engines are just turning up knife sellers and a fictional screenplay from some video game. another goon posted the same reference earlier so i feel like i'm on pretty solid ground here :colbert:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Dune was the crysknife

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this was explained in the most recent episode. the good place police are still arguing over which kind of cruelty-free paper they should use to print out the squad assignments for the case

That does bring up an interesting thing though. The good place people could have had a Janet get them some bananas or whatever, but they didn't. Maybe they just don't really use the Janets, and so wouldn't notice if one was missing.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

seaborgium posted:

That does bring up an interesting thing though. The good place people could have had a Janet get them some bananas or whatever, but they didn't. Maybe they just don't really use the Janets, and so wouldn't notice if one was missing.

Janets do away with the need for subcommittees and focus groups so yeah, can't see the good place folks using them all that much

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

1glitch0 posted:

I didn't think they were thinking Michael was lying, but he's wrong and that's not really the problem that needs to be solved.
Agreed. The AV Club isn't saying Michael is lying, they're saying that Doug Forcett going to the Bad Place isn't a problem and so Michael's epiphany is likely wrong. Doug's gone full hermit so as to minimize sin but in the process denied himself the possibility of doing anything actually good. I would not want there to be more worthless Doug Forcett's wandering off into the woods in search of inner perfection.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Subtle knife was kind of a time knife I guess, but more of a space knife.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Chidi drops the Time Knife, which cuts the part of the Jeremy Bearimy that connects the last y to the J, giving the afterlife an end date.

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Chidi drops the Time Knife, which cuts the part of the Jeremy Bearimy that connects the last y to the J, giving the afterlife an end date.

You just know that whatever happens with the Time Knife, if it has anything to do with Jeremey Bearimy, it's gonna give him access to that dot above the i.

Actually I just rewatched the Jeremey Bearimy episode, and Michael describes that dot as "where nothing, never happens". Wonder if that's gonna be the Pandemonium of the final episode? I know speculation is worthless, but it's fun.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

My wife kept thinking it was seize, not sees

Therefore

Carpe time knife.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

silvergoose posted:

My wife kept thinking it was seize, not sees

Therefore

Carpe time knife.
”Chidi! Seize the Time-Knife!”

Also I before E except after C or at other arbitrary times I guess

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Azhais posted:

Dune was the crysknife

a work of fiction that spans many novels may have more than one reference to knives. kind of controversial i kno but, it's possible

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

ZRM posted:

You just know that whatever happens with the Time Knife, if it has anything to do with Jeremey Bearimy, it's gonna give him access to that dot above the i.

Actually I just rewatched the Jeremey Bearimy episode, and Michael describes that dot as "where nothing, never happens". Wonder if that's gonna be the Pandemonium of the final episode? I know speculation is worthless, but it's fun.

All I know is that whatever happens with the time knife, if it has anything to do with Jeremy Bearimy, it'll make this thread insufferable for at least a week.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the only thing needed to make a TVIV thread insufferable is a lull in news

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Eleanor's offhand "maybe you're being tortured by megademons" made me revisit a theory I had early S2.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

oh jay posted:

I think I'm understanding what I'm not aligned on you with. It's your definition of "after"

Is it your understanding that humans from the years 1492 to 2018 are going to hell?

Or is it that that humans from the years 1492 to X are going to hell, where x is a completely arbitrary time because the present in the real world doesn't exist?

The latter. It feels like Doug is showing that the latter is the case.

That absolutely fits time not working in the afterlife the same way. If time isn't linear though then people turn up in the afterlife from any time at all and therefore the timescale doesn't make sense. If you don't experience linear time in the afterlife then someone can arrive there who was born in 2640 before a person born in 1640, at least theoretically.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Taear posted:

The latter. It feels like Doug is showing that the latter is the case.

That absolutely fits time not working in the afterlife the same way. If time isn't linear though then people turn up in the afterlife from any time at all and therefore the timescale doesn't make sense. If you don't experience linear time in the afterlife then someone can arrive there who was born in 2640 before a person born in 1640, at least theoretically.

I might have read way too much into the Jeremy Berimy ep but I thought the whole point of illustrating the timeline with a signature was to imply it was mostly linear but not quite.

Afterlife time isn’t quite linear in the same way we experience it but it’s kind of an impossible thing to build a satisfying narrative with any kind of perception of time that isn’t at least somewhat linear. I’m getting a little abstract here bc of weed but i think the show has been super clear on the fact that people die and go to the afterlife on the same linear time scale they lived under on earth

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 17, 2019

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

pwn posted:

”Chidi! Seize the Time-Knife!”

Also I before E except after C or at other arbitrary times I guess

"Chidi sees the time knife? No, money down!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

a work of fiction that spans many novels may have more than one reference to knives. kind of controversial i kno but, it's possible

Are you thinking of that great epigraph about how Arrakis teaches the principle of the knife, "cutting off what is incomplete and saying, now it is finished, because it ended here"?

Cos I'm racking my brain trying to think of something that could be considered a time knife, and that's the closest I've got. Unless it's from the prequels