Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SeANMcBAY posted:

How so? Drifting?

I’ve had to replace mine twice but this newest pair is lasting a lot longer even though I’ve banged them up quite a few times. Fingers crossed.

It squeaks and doesn’t recognize up inputs well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It squeaks and doesn’t recognize up inputs well.

That’s lovely. At least yours are in warranty still so take advantage of that and call Nintendo.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I've been really digging NSMBU Deluxe with my 4 1/2 year old daughter playing on those Nintendo Online NES Controllers.

But man... the game gets tough for her real quick. She keep going into the bubble waaay too much for my liking instead of challenging herself. I can't seem to get her to grasp the multi tasking process of holding right, holding the B button to run, and jumping. I wish there was an auto run mode to help her.

She is loving playing as Toadette though.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

What? It really did. Makes more sense than having to remove one of the Joy-Cons to use as a second controller every time I want to save.
The 3DS only had..... one....... controller. How else did you expect them to address it? The Switch has multiple controllers.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

On 3DS it was L+R+Y to change to the other controller port. There's no reason to remove that functionality just because connecting two physical controllers is possible.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

They didn't remove functionality, they just didn't bother programming it in again on a different, unrelated port of the same game

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

That's what I've always thought, but apparently the average person has a living room bigger than my entire house. I leave my Pro Controller plugged in all the same because I never have to worry about battery life (even though the battery does last basically forever) and it just feels weird to not have a cord. I don't have any idiot children to trip over things, so going wireless gains me nothing.

I feel like I'm constantly discovering that goons are all unemployed IT guys who live in mansions

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

RandomFerret posted:

They didn't remove functionality, they just didn't bother programming it in again on a different, unrelated port of the same game

Remove, omit, whatever you want to call it, it's annoying that they didn't do it again. I guess I could play online and have the other person be my designated save button presser.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

They let you plug in the Joy-Cons. Split Joy-Cons, but without having to use wireless. Nintendo has used them at tournaments, but they aren't for sale anywhere.

Really weird that Nintendo wouldn't sell a peripheral.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Btw, the increased lag isn’t a big deal as you’d expect due to the buffering system Ultimate has.

The buffer in Smash doesn't mean anything when you're trying to react as fast as possible to something but you were just a few frames off due to the input lag.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Astro7x posted:

I've been really digging NSMBU Deluxe with my 4 1/2 year old daughter playing on those Nintendo Online NES Controllers.

But man... the game gets tough for her real quick. She keep going into the bubble waaay too much for my liking instead of challenging herself. I can't seem to get her to grasp the multi tasking process of holding right, holding the B button to run, and jumping. I wish there was an auto run mode to help her.

She is loving playing as Toadette though.

if it makes you feel better, adults who didn't grow up with platformers also struggle with the idea of holding a run button at all times

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I grew up with platformers and even after 30 years I wish that it defaulted to running and you held to B to walk.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Some modern platformers use trigger buttons for run and it works pretty well.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Some modern platformers use trigger buttons for run and it works pretty well.

When games do this I usually rebind it to a face button, I'm all about that Hold Y Jump B :v:

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I've been playing Steamworld Dig 2 and forgot I could run for hours.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Is this a new trend for parents to want games to be super easy for their kids? When a lot of us were kids games were brutal and unfair and we still love them. Hell at 5 I had to put a cassette tape into the computer and wait 20 minutes for a super poo poo hard game to load and I loved it

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Alan_Shore posted:

Is this a new trend for parents to want games to be super easy for their kids? When a lot of us were kids games were brutal and unfair and we still love them. Hell at 5 I had to put a cassette tape into the computer and wait 20 minutes for a super poo poo hard game to load and I loved it
Sorry about your miserable childhood.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Alan_Shore posted:

Those games were poorly designed and you only played them so much because the other entertainment available to you was after school TV and throwing rocks at smaller children.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Alan_Shore posted:

A very goony post.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

Which game are you complaining about here?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Alan_Shore posted:

Those games were also hard because if they were a sane difficulty you could beat them in an afternoon. When you can’t fit much on a storage medium you gotta make it have longevity somehow.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

A Bag of Milk posted:

I've been playing Steamworld Dig 2 and forgot I could run for hours.

I bought this just last night. It's great! I finished the first one and I immediately wanted more :D

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've been trying out some NES games I never played and most of them are leaving me going what the gently caress difficulty wise. I grew up playing hard games and I think I'd rather my kids face difficulty in games that wasn't complete bullshit. Old Mario games were hard but fair. Some old games are hard for the sake of it or hard because of bad design.

Also as if kids these days aren't turning up at high school and being challenged to play Dark Souls or similar.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Alan_Shore posted:

I bet you had to walk 20 miles in the snow both ways just to get to a game store too. :agesilaus:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JBP posted:

Also as if kids these days aren't turning up at high school and being challenged to play Dark Souls or similar.

The kids playing Fortnite now are probably far more skilled gamers than anyone in this thread.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Steve2911 posted:

The kids playing Fortnite now are probably far more skilled gamers than anyone in this thread.

I didn't even consider multiplayer. Most of my good gaming ability comes from spending hundreds of hours after school playing king of fighters at an arcade. Nothing like human opponents to harden nerves.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

My kids don't get to have any dinner till they can solo a G rank Tigrex. No palico allowed :colbert:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

JBP posted:

I didn't even consider multiplayer. Most of my good gaming ability comes from spending hundreds of hours after school playing king of fighters at an arcade. Nothing like human opponents to harden nerves.

my nerves were honed on SC but i just don't have the twitch and tempo of a street fighter or a tekken master

that said the kids playing fortnite right now are absolutely far more skilled than me... at fortnite. but if that's all they ever play, and that seems to be the case, they have no skill at anything else.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The White Dragon posted:

my nerves were honed on SC but i just don't have the twitch and tempo of a street fighter or a tekken master

that said the kids playing fortnite right now are absolutely far more skilled than me... at fortnite. but if that's all they ever play, and that seems to be the case, they have no skill at anything else.

Yeah if you put DBFZ in the hands of someone who's only ever played Fortnite you'd probably beat them, no poo poo.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah if you put DBFZ in the hands of someone who's only ever played Fortnite you'd probably beat them, no poo poo.

that's my point man, a lot of fortnite players play that and only that. it's that vicious playtime::payout skinner box cycle that hooks em in and that's all they wanna do

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

that's my point man, a lot of fortnite players play that and only that. it's that vicious playtime::payout skinner box cycle that hooks em in and that's all they wanna do

I see what you're saying but I don't see why you're saying it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Steve2911 posted:

I went to my friend's place who likes DBZ but has only ever dabbled in fighting games and just loving destroyed him over and over. I haven't played fighting games regularly for ten years (except SC6 recently) and I felt bad like he saw the effort it takes to master a fighter. He was so excited to get good and play online :gerty:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Looks like the latest NES Online update includes more evidence of SNES stuff, with Super Mario World getting an English-language game description and other games getting descriptions in other European languages.

https://twitter.com/OtherEhm/status/1085534574120222722

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

They have outright stopped selling SNES classics right? I love mine but to be honest I'd rather just have those games on the Switch. Mine will always have 50 obscure Japan only games with weird fan patches

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass
PILOTWINGS

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The White Dragon posted:

The point is they're learning transferable skills and will likely pick up new games/genres far quicker than we could - if they're so inclined.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

The White Dragon posted:

Nah, I don't particularly agree with this. Putting a lot of effort into learning to play one game really well never imparted me with the knowledge to play another well, sure, but it does impart you with a sense of what the learning process feels like and particularly astute people can apply that process elsewhere.

Even if they don't get good at any other games ever though, if they like fortnite then good for them.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
If it makes anyone that suffers from stick drift feel better, I was lamenting about my own left joycons issues to a friend that works for Nintendo and they shared that apparently their internal turnover on joycons for the switch is like 10 times higher than any other system they've ever used on projects during their employment there.

So... I guess don't feel bad. Not even the in house teams can keep their poo poo from breaking. :smith:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

RandomFerret posted:

That's not a dropped input, your left analog stick is hosed up. Get some contact cleaner.

Nah that happens with new joycons too (tried a replacement), and never happens when i play handheld, ever, but regularly on wireless

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

They have outright stopped selling SNES classics right? I love mine but to be honest I'd rather just have those games on the Switch. Mine will always have 50 obscure Japan only games with weird fan patches

Yup. Once the NES and SNES Classics are gone, they're gone for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yup. Once the NES and SNES Classics are gone, they're gone for good.

Until they decide to sell them again someday to fill a gap.