Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Applewhite posted:

Also, when you take away the dramatic music and slow zoom, Khan’s introduction makes no sense to anyone on screen. “My name... is KHAAAAN!”

Audience who are already familiar with the character: ooooooh!

Everyone else: “so? Why are you talking so weird?”
it also highlights how stupid retreading khan was. they couldnt have mentioned his name earlier or explained who he was, because it would clue in old fans to who he is. but new fans have to rely on their dad pausing the film to tell them how cool wrath of khan was and end up just stopping the film to go watch the orihinal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
So i think at about ep16 of s 1 of TNG is when things started to click into place with Picard. Before that he just seemed too irritable.
Most of the episodes have been a blur so far, the one where Picard falls in a hole and geordie had to command the ship has been the one episode I really liked so far.
Was there a behind the scenes reason that Tasha Yar got killed off like a random redshirt? Atleast her sendoff was well done.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RocketSurgeon posted:

So i think at about ep16 of s 1 of TNG is when things started to click into place with Picard. Before that he just seemed too irritable.
Most of the episodes have been a blur so far, the one where Picard falls in a hole and geordie had to command the ship has been the one episode I really liked so far.
Was there a behind the scenes reason that Tasha Yar got killed off like a random redshirt? Atleast her sendoff was well done.

She thought it was a dead end and wanted to do movies. Instead the most notable thing she did after was an episode of Red Shoe Diaries where she uses her power as a police officer to pull over and rape a dude she's been stalking

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Bring her back to the Picard show as the Romulan lady

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

no

NO

NO YOU ABSOLUTE BASTARDS YOU CAN TAKE ANYONE FROM ME BUT NOT MORN

NOOO

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Bobby Deluxe posted:

no

NO

NO YOU ABSOLUTE BASTARDS YOU CAN TAKE ANYONE FROM ME BUT NOT MORN

NOOO

:smith: that episode is so good. I unironically would buy a copy of that memorial painting

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power
Wasn't S31 written into the original UFP charter?

I almost wish Sloane didn't pop the cyanide implant so Bashir could show him how wrong he was in his position. And because I like William Sadler being in Star Trek.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Temper Trudeau posted:

I almost wish Sloane didn't pop the cyanide implant so Bashir could show him how wrong he was in his position. And because I like William Sadler being in Star Trek.

i think section 31 refers to a line in the charter that is like “the integrity of the federation will be protected” but it doesn’t in any way establish an actual organization and presumably the text of section 31 is upheld by starfleet and not some unaccountable spies

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

THS posted:

i think section 31 refers to a line in the charter that is like “the integrity of the federation will be protected” but it doesn’t in any way establish an actual organization and presumably the text of section 31 is upheld by starfleet and not some unaccountable spies

If you take all facets of the word "integrity" it seems unaccountable black ops would be strictly forbidden.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Temper Trudeau posted:

hes even better in bill and ted

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Pick posted:

:agreed:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Pick posted:

Pretty good in Freaked.

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power

Pick posted:

Yea he is a fantastic actor. If only Sloane had Deaths accent.

He was goodin Shawshank, too.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Temper Trudeau posted:

Yea he is a fantastic actor. If only Sloane had Deaths accent.

He was goodin Shawshank, too.

*Connecting the dots in 3....2...1*

Wait, holy poo poo

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Btw loving holy poo poo House of Quark is a fun watch. Every time.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I’m eternally bummed that the Romulan that was supposed to hang out on the Defiant and operate their cloaking device was dropped off the show immediately.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gutcruncher posted:

I’m eternally bummed that the Romulan that was supposed to hang out on the Defiant and operate their cloaking device was dropped off the show immediately.

It was one of those roles that sounded good in theory, but probably didn't have anywhere to grow that either wasn't covered by other characters or boiled down to "but Captain, OUR NATION'S AGREEMENT said not to use the cloaking device for this emergency situation that we'll wind up using it for anyway!!"

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It was one of those roles that sounded good in theory, but probably didn't have anywhere to grow that either wasn't covered by other characters or boiled down to "but Captain, OUR NATION'S AGREEMENT said not to use the cloaking device for this emergency situation that we'll wind up using it for anyway!!"

Her role on the bridge would be limited to turning on and off the cloak and maybe a dramatic moment where she agrees to override the prohibition on using the cloak in the Alpha Quadrant but they could have done other things with her. Have her play off of Garak (similar totalitarian states) and Worf (blood enemies). Have her strike up a friendship or two....maybe with Dax or Kira trying to pull her out of her shell of basically avoiding everyone. I think it could have worked well.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
by that point in ds9 the female characters dont have friends any more.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it's supposed to go with the theme the movie has going of humans being literally weaponised (see the bit where Kirk and Khan are literally fired out of torpedo tubes) but is just handled ridiculously.

The Into Darkness writers should get together with Geoff Johns, this kind of oblivious literalism needs to walk hand in hand.

Bogus Adventure posted:

lol, why am I not surprised

9/11 broke everything

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Pick posted:

by that point in ds9 the female characters dont have friends any more.

Kira and Dax were friends. "You punched Lancelot!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Xenocides posted:

Her role on the bridge would be limited to turning on and off the cloak and maybe a dramatic moment where she agrees to override the prohibition on using the cloak in the Alpha Quadrant but they could have done other things with her. Have her play off of Garak (similar totalitarian states) and Worf (blood enemies). Have her strike up a friendship or two....maybe with Dax or Kira trying to pull her out of her shell of basically avoiding everyone. I think it could have worked well.

Dax and Kira spend plenty of time together, and that was about pulling Kira out of her shell. It'd largely be retreading Kira's arc across the first few seasons, and she does that enough with her love life.

Having a conversation with Garak is something that'd be neat ONCE, because it'd just be repeating afterwards due to there being nowhere to take it. All they'd do is just talk in circles without revealing anything of note. Garak works MUCH better off Bashir as the straight man in the conversation, because you can tell Garak's dropping just enough truth among the bullshit to string him along and the fun part's piecing it together.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
one of the best garak scenes, garak isn't even there. bashir's like waking up sisko at 3-o-clock am or some poo poo and he's like "garak says we need a runabout! :downs:" and sisko is like "why. why do you need a runabout :geno:" and bashir is like "i dunno :confused:"

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Wanna derail the DS9 talk for a bit to go back to ST4, which I watched recently and which I think is one of the better Star Trek films. Even as a die-hard Wrath of Khan fan, I think this movie stands out by itself for just being a great sci-fi adventure film.

First you have an antagonist that isn't out to blow up the galaxy or solar system or earth with a superweapon. It's just a probe wondering where all of its homies went and trashing our house because it can't find them. Then our heroes need to figure out what it's trying to say, and when they do the natural solution is to go back in time to SAVE SOME MOTHERFUCKIN WHALES!

The whole film from then on is a beautiful mix of comedy/fish out of water situations combined with some fun adventure and character interactions; Scotty and Sulu getting transparent aluminum tanks, Uhura and Checkov siphoning ions from a nuclear aircraft carrier's reactor (and then escaping from a hospital), and Spock and Kirk negotiating getting the whales from Kim Cattral Catherine Hicks. :wiggle:

No one gets wasted, there's no brain slugs getting dropped into anyone's mouth. Everything comes down to these wonderful races against time without feeling contrived. It's a perfect enclosed film that maintains tension and tells a great story without having to resort to murder and violence for the characters — I think the ST writers today could learn a lot from this film about how to tell a good Star Trek story.

Mr. Merdle fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 17, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
st4 is one of the great films of all time. of all time.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xenocides posted:

"How do you write Cardassians so well?"

"I think of a Romulan, and then I take away cliches and continuity."

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Lil Peeler posted:

Wanna derail the DS9 talk for a bit to go back to ST4, which I watched recently and which I think is one of the better Star Trek films. Even as a die-hard Wrath of Khan fan, I think this movie stands out by itself for just being a great sci-fi adventure film.

First you have an antagonist that isn't out to blow up the galaxy or solar system or earth with a superweapon. It's just a probe wondering where all of its homies went and trashing our house because it can't find them. Then our heroes need to figure out what it's trying to say, and when they do the natural solution is to go back in time to SAVE SOME MOTHERFUCKIN WHALES!

The whole film from then on is a beautiful mix of comedy/fish out of water situations combined with some fun adventure and character interactions; Scotty and Sulu getting transparent aluminum tanks, Uhura and Checkov siphoning ions from a nuclear aircraft carrier's reactor (and then escaping from a hospital), and Spock and Kirk negotiating getting the whales from Kim Cattrall. :wiggle:

No one gets wasted, there's no brain slugs getting dropped into anyone's mouth. Everything comes down to these wonderful races against time without feeling contrived. It's a perfect enclosed film that maintains tension and tells a great story without having to resort to murder and violence for the characters — I think the ST writers today could learn a lot from this film about how to tell a good Star Trek story.

The Wrath of Khan is a great Star Trek film. The Voyage Home is a great film. And anyone who disagrees can basically have a double dumbass on you!

I also hate to be that guy, but Kim Cattrall isn't in The Voyage Home. She's in The Undiscovered Country. You're thinking of Catherine Hicks (the lady from Child's Play).

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

McSpanky posted:

"How do you write Cardassians so well?"

"I think of a Romulan, and then I take away cliches and continuity."

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Bogus Adventure posted:

The Wrath of Khan is a great Star Trek film. The Voyage Home is a great film. And anyone who disagrees can basically have a double dumbass on you!

I also hate to be that guy, but Kim Cattrall isn't in The Voyage Home. She's in The Undiscovered Country. You're thinking of Catherine Hicks (the lady from Child's Play).

poo poo! I knew I should have checked. And this goes to my original point about how the current state of Star trek is very frustrating.

I watched this with my roommate who is only seen the recent movies and I think he got bored. his only frame of reference for Star trek is violent grimdark plots which REI Poison the well four people looking to understand what this series is all about.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Goddamnit Netflix, that’s not a Klingon. Or hell maybe it’s a STD Klingon jumping into the future to chill on DS9 I dunno.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Haha casual future trek would rock

"We've evolved past silly things like uniforms and hierarchal ranks. This is just like, a big exploring party, in the Stars. Four loko?"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

"We've evolved past silly things like uniforms and hierarchal ranks. This is just like, a big exploring party, in the Stars. Four loko?"

basically the culture then

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

basically the culture then

I've totally gotta read these books. Every time I say "it'd be cool if" The Culture gets brought up.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

the culture is cool and should be the federation's endgame

instead they introduced the temporal cold war which is stupid because it means there is always going to have been a war so the federation can never fully demilitarise

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Brawnfire posted:

I've totally gotta read these books. Every time I say "it'd be cool if" The Culture gets brought up.

The Culture is basically the idealistic aspects of the Federation taken to their absurd extreme.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

the culture is cool and should be the federation's endgame

instead they introduced the temporal cold war which is stupid because it means there is always going to have been a war so the federation can never fully demilitarise

I was hoping the temporal Cold War could work but then the one operative says something went wrong but that it would take time for the changes to propagate through the timeline or something like that and that was when I realized how stupid the writers thought I was (or were themselves). That is almost as bad as the Voyager timeloop that would never have started unless there was a timeloop so there was no cause for it.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

There was one species in the EU of Babylon 5 that had no concept of hieracrchy and worked through discussion and consensus. They found their ships could not perform well in combat due to its high speed but they were psychologically incapable of putting someone in charge so they just decided to train one of the crew as the “quick decision maker” who was not in charge but his skill set was to coordinate combat. I liked that idea. Make a Star Trek series about a species like that.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Lil Peeler posted:

It's a real shame that "Make a Star Trek movie where there are no bad guys and nobody gets killed" wouldn't fly at all today.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
The Culture is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Agreed about Star Trek IV being a really good flick, but I have one little nitpick:

Lil Peeler posted:

Scotty and Sulu getting transparent aluminum tanks

They did no such thing. The tanks were made out of ordinary 6-inch plexiglass from Plexicorp's warehouse. It would have taken many years to get a transparent aluminum production line going. The plexiglass was presumably donated by Dr. Nichols to "Professor Scott" in exchange for the formula for transparent aluminum. :eng101: