Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Those spreadsheets are impressively insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Bielsa is a G. Calling a press conference for all the journalist vultures expecting his resignation, only to give an hour long powerpoint presentation on tactics thoroughly exposing Frank Lampard in the process.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Monday Bandele posted:

Bielsa is a G. Calling a press conference for all the journalist vultures expecting his resignation, only to give an hour long powerpoint presentation on tactics thoroughly exposing Frank Lampard in the process.

As awesome as it has been, there is really nothing in it that excuses the spying. Just because his team is very prepared doesn't mean everyone should be ok with Leeds sending club staff to watch training sessions.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/DannyHalford96/status/1085601724189106176

no no no no no no no no

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

gtkor posted:

As awesome as it has been, there is really nothing in it that excuses the spying. Just because his team is very prepared doesn't mean everyone should be ok with Leeds sending club staff to watch training sessions.

It's not against the rules and it's not illegal and everyone does shady stuff that's at least as bad (such as getting mates to leak the teamsheet early, which happens with British coaches and players in every division).

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I don't disagree with any of that, but surely the point of all of this from the Bielsa perspective is, "it's no big deal, it's just one other thing I do amongst a million little things to prepare for opponents".

Whether or not the EFL punishes him is another thing (they probably shouldn't as it is not against any rule) but the press conference shouldn't have any bearing on that decision.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

gtkor posted:

I don't disagree with any of that, but surely the point of all of this from the Bielsa perspective is, "it's no big deal, it's just one other thing I do amongst a million little things to prepare for opponents".

Whether or not the EFL punishes him is another thing (they probably shouldn't as it is not against any rule) but the press conference shouldn't have any bearing on that decision.

By admitting everything and more he's forced them to either go big with their punishment or do nothing at all, and they haven't got the balls to go big. The other side now looks like lazy footballing dinosaurs rather than having the moral high ground as footballing purists and English icons.

If Bielsa had meekly downplayed it they could have kicked the can down the road or issued a token ruling that would have hung over him for the rest of his time in England. Instead he wants this resolved, definitively.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

he literally turned the press conference into a coaching clinic
https://twitter.com/DanEdwardsGoal/status/1085606068678549504

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

sassassin posted:

Bielsa owns. Every English pundit should quietly disappear for the next 5-10 years out of shame.

He's the best and I love him and want to build a statue of him in my own home

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
lol at all the journalists turning up thinking he's going to resign only to have to sit through a multi hour powerpoint about how to beat Frank Lampard's Derby County.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Also tidy your desktop Marcelo those icons are a loving state

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Blue Star Error posted:

lol at all the journalists turning up thinking he's going to resign only to have to sit through a multi hour powerpoint about how to beat Frank Lampard's Derby County.

do you think that if he was caught spying on any manager other than Frank Lampard OBE, Member of Mensa and Man Who Was Totally Right To Abuse Those American Tourists After 9/11, that the press would be as up in arms as they are now?

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Troy Queef posted:

do you think that if he was caught spying on any manager other than Frank Lampard OBE, Member of Mensa and Man Who Was Totally Right To Abuse Those American Tourists After 9/11, that the press would be as up in arms as they are now?

Frank Lampard seems to have called up all of his mates to try and get them to spout off in the media about reversing the result and the English football establishment is so desperate for him to succeed they'll comply

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Frank Lampard is a piece of poo poo pussy and a bitch

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

gtkor posted:

Why is "spying" on a training session a big deal? Is it morally or ethically bad, and just not the done thing?

If so why are these same pundits not decrying every single player after every single game for attempting to continuously con the officials on every single decision?

I'm not having a go at you here, I just don't understand where and why it's a problem.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Has everyone just forgotten that Andres Villas Boas said that when he was a scout for mourinho he'd spy on other teams training?

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

fat gay nonce posted:

Why is "spying" on a training session a big deal? Is it morally or ethically bad, and just not the done thing?

If so why are these same pundits not decrying every single player after every single game for attempting to continuously con the officials on every single decision?

I'm not having a go at you here, I just don't understand where and why it's a problem.

I don't think there is anything wrong in truth with attending a training session, provided it is not openly stated to be "behind closed doors". I think the reason it is determined to be wrong is that there is an implied understanding that clubs aren't supposed to attend other clubs training sessions.

The EFL or FA probably should step in and formalize a rule saying opposing clubs aren't allowed to visit other training grounds during sessions.

As far as the punditry goes...I feel like there is plenty of talk about stuff like this, it just tends to be centered around diving for pens or teams being cynical in specific circumstances.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

gtkor posted:

The EFL or FA probably should step in and formalize a rule saying opposing clubs aren't allowed to visit other training grounds during sessions.

Nah, this is dumb. If the club doesn’t want their training session visible, have it behind closed doors.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

It seems a lot more practical to make a guidance or rule that is easy to follow, once it is laid out, than to force clubs to change where they train.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
They should make it a rule that no one can say or do anything mean to Frank Lampard of Frank Lampard's Derby County.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

gtkor posted:

I don't think there is anything wrong in truth with attending a training session, provided it is not openly stated to be "behind closed doors". I think the reason it is determined to be wrong is that there is an implied understanding that clubs aren't supposed to attend other clubs training sessions.

This "implied understanding" doesn't exist in most of the footballing world.

It barely existed here until Bielsa's man got questioned by police for looking dodgy, and England's brave GCSE-holder Frank Lampard got upset.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003

Winner, PWM POTM January

Meat Wagon posted:

They should make it a rule that no one can say or do anything mean to Frank Lampard of Frank Lampard's Derby County.

Bielsa should be banned for as long as Lampard's tactics are not very good.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003

Winner, PWM POTM January
also ban buckets

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

fat gay nonce posted:

Bielsa should be banned for as long as Lampard's tactics are not very good.

Derby look alright to be fair.

Carried by their loan players but still decent.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

sassassin posted:

This "implied understanding" doesn't exist in most of the footballing world.

It barely existed here until Bielsa's man got questioned by police for looking dodgy, and England's brave GCSE-holder Frank Lampard got upset.

I don't disagree. I should have clarified, the way it has been presented in the media is the "implied understanding"

But at this point, given that probably everyone does significant opposition research, why not just deal with the issue? We aren't talking about something that is difficult to do, the EFL/FA either comes out and says "it isn't an issue" or "don't show up at other clubs training grounds". Then it's done, and you don't have one club feeling particularly aggrieved when they get a points deduction but another team didn't.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003

Winner, PWM POTM January

sassassin posted:

Derby look alright to be fair.

Carried by their loan players but still decent.

I'm glad I have your support on the banning of buckets though

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

gtkor posted:

I don't disagree. I should have clarified, the way it has been presented in the media is the "implied understanding"

But at this point, given that probably everyone does significant opposition research, why not just deal with the issue? We aren't talking about something that is difficult to do, the EFL/FA either comes out and says "it isn't an issue" or "don't show up at other clubs training grounds". Then it's done, and you don't have one club feeling particularly aggrieved when they get a points deduction but another team didn't.

No one's getting points deducted.

If the EFL tried to write rules for spying then they have to go a lot further than whether it's okay to look at a training ground from a public footpath. What about the guys crouched outside the away team's dressing room listening to team talks? What about the players leaking selections to mates the night before?

It would in no way be "done". It would open up a massive barrel of monkeys.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jose posted:

Has everyone just forgotten that Andres Villas Boas said that when he was a scout for mourinho he'd spy on other teams training?

I'm pretty sure most people have forgotten AVB ever existed. What's he even doing these days? His rep fell off a cliff

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/SkySports_Keith/status/1086197693481996288

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can someone explain to me what the big deal here is? In the Dutch eredivisie it is totally normal for coaches or staff to go and look at other teams training

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

oliwan posted:

Can someone explain to me what the big deal here is? In the Dutch eredivisie it is totally normal for coaches or staff to go and look at other teams training

It’s a non story designed to protect Fat Franks myth

If he fails it’s because of spygate
If he wins he’s the brave English lion who overcame

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm pretty sure most people have forgotten AVB ever existed. What's he even doing these days? His rep fell off a cliff

He managed Zenit for a while and then said he had to go back to Portugal. He went to China instead, and now he’s driving race cars.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003

Winner, PWM POTM January

blue footed boobie posted:

He managed Zenit for a while and then said he had to go back to Portugal. He went to China instead, and now he’s driving race cars.

He's actually rotating objects or self

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

The bolt cutters bit is fake news, fat frank has been lying to the press and the police have stated they disclosed no details about the person to Derby.

he's a fraud

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Puuki is ghoulish.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

sassassin posted:

Puuki is ghoulish.

Goal is pronounced ghoul in the Norfolk language

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I hope Norwich win and we beat Sheff Utd tomorrow so the cool teams can leapfrog the teams with cunts as managers.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Come on the Swans

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Eat poo poo Leeds!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
McBurnie's shite.

Get DJ & Jazzy Jeff on.