Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Samuringa posted:

I really liked that game but I was disappointed it moves away from the being a cool graffiti artist plot to a ~government conspiracy~

I'd figured it did that because the back of the box actually frames the story in terms of fighting the government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
favourite little thing in escape from butcher bay : shooting out the lights,i just get a kick out of making rooms and areas dark,i think there's something wrong with me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

favourite little thing in escape from butcher bay : shooting out the lights,i just get a kick out of making rooms and areas dark,i think there's something wrong with me.

How much did you play Thief (original) back in the day?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

In Metro: Last Light you get Tesla trophy if you shoot out lights and a Edison trophy if you turn out lights without breaking them.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
The Splinter Cell games turned me into a light bulb serial killer.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMSk9aZqc4M&t=39s

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Morpheus posted:

How much did you play Thief (original) back in the day?

never played it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Thief 2 is the only one that's all that good in hindsight. Thief 1 has too many fantastic enemies like Zombies and Dinosaurs that can't be tapped on the head. Thief 3 has numerous technical issues that I can't be arsed to mod out. Thief 4 happened.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Either Dishonored or Styx is Thief 4, depending on your tolerance for jank.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

Honestly, I didn't even know that those were HD ports of Gamecube remakes. Partly because I didn't even know those GameCube remakes existed until now, I thought the HD versions were it.

And I didn't ask questions because that's the kind of remake I love; polish up the presentation, possibly fix bugs, leave the gameplay as intact as reasonably possible. The 'total reimagining' approach to remakes is all well and good, but I prefer getting basically the original game, warts and all, that was famous in the first place.

If you haven't played the original psx Resident Evil the GameCube one other than the better graphics introduced the Mr X style Lisa Trevor, new areas and puzzles, new bosses, and the crimson head zombies. Probably other stuff as well but those are the ones that stick out.

I thought the gamecube remake was one of the Capcom 5* but that was Resident Evil 4.

*Five exclusive GameCube games. One got cancelled, one was critically panned, the other three were ported to other systems with RE4 now being on everything.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Len posted:

If you haven't played the original psx Resident Evil the GameCube one other than the better graphics introduced the Mr X style Lisa Trevor, new areas and puzzles, new bosses, and the crimson head zombies. Probably other stuff as well but those are the ones that stick out.

I thought the gamecube remake was one of the Capcom 5* but that was Resident Evil 4.

*Five exclusive GameCube games. One got cancelled, one was critically panned, the other three were ported to other systems with RE4 now being on everything.

It's also worth noting that while RE when it came out looked pretty good for a PSX game, REmake for GameCube was more or less unbelievable compared to what was out at the time. It's still pretty much the peak of the pre-rendered background, tank control survival horror style.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just beat the first chapter in Marc Ecko's Getting Up. Something I like is that after the other artists beat him, steal his stuff and "cross him out" (spraying a large X across the logos on his shirt, metaphorically erasing him) he decides to make the cross itself his symbol and as he puts it "Flip the whole script on them", making a new hoodie with a large X emblazoned upon the back, and shaving the symbol into his hair.

It tickles me the same way as Tony Hawk's American Wasteland which went from "gently caress the man" to "poo poo we need money to buy land, we need to monetize our skills and work with the man", but in this case it's going from "Graffiti is CounterCulture/Punk" to "I'm going to counter the counterculture. The X is a mainstream symbol among graffiti artists of humiliation, I will take it and make it into something to fear"

It's the sort of thing that I wouldn't have appreciated the irony of when I was younger, but visiting these sorts of games later in life I have found a deeper enjoyment of them because of this sort of thing.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Cleretic posted:

Honestly, I didn't even know that those were HD ports of Gamecube remakes. Partly because I didn't even know those GameCube remakes existed until now, I thought the HD versions were it.

And I didn't ask questions because that's the kind of remake I love; polish up the presentation, possibly fix bugs, leave the gameplay as intact as reasonably possible. The 'total reimagining' approach to remakes is all well and good, but I prefer getting basically the original game, warts and all, that was famous in the first place.

I liked how Halo Anniversary had a button so you could swap between the new graphics and the og Xbox graphics on the fly, kind of wish more remakes did that but I know that would be a huge challenge.

Speaking of remakes, all the dying I've been doing in the Crash remakes at least have given me plenty of laughs in his death animations, I sucked way less the first time I played through these games back in the 90s so I haven't seen a lot of them. Along those lines, I think the little moment where Crash lands on his rear end with a loud THUMP and gets little birdies around his head if you fall from a really high place.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Don Gato posted:

I liked how Halo Anniversary had a button so you could swap between the new graphics and the og Xbox graphics on the fly, kind of wish more remakes did that but I know that would be a huge challenge.

Speaking of remakes, all the dying I've been doing in the Crash remakes at least have given me plenty of laughs in his death animations, I sucked way less the first time I played through these games back in the 90s so I haven't seen a lot of them. Along those lines, I think the little moment where Crash lands on his rear end with a loud THUMP and gets little birdies around his head if you fall from a really high place.

That reminds me of the Special Editions of the first two Monkey Island games. They have beautiful spritework and even now have a decent bit of atmosphere. I just plain hate the new art design, it looks like smoothed over blended amateur art with no texture or depth. LeChuck's Revenge especially has some really moody areas that look great in the original game but are butchered by the graphical overhaul.

Now the nice thing is that you can switch the art styles with the press of a button. What isn't nice is that in Secret of Monkey Island doing so removes the voice acting and overhauled sound design which I actually really like, so you can't win, it's one or the other. Nice spritework with barely any sound and old soundtrack, or hideous artwork and good voice acting and sound.

The good thing is that they solved this with LeChuck's Revenge, which lets you mix and match.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

JebanyPedal posted:

That reminds me of the Special Editions of the first two Monkey Island games. They have beautiful spritework and even now have a decent bit of atmosphere. I just plain hate the new art design, it looks like smoothed over blended amateur art with no texture or depth. LeChuck's Revenge especially has some really moody areas that look great in the original game but are butchered by the graphical overhaul.

Now the nice thing is that you can switch the art styles with the press of a button. What isn't nice is that in Secret of Monkey Island doing so removes the voice acting and overhauled sound design which I actually really like, so you can't win, it's one or the other. Nice spritework with barely any sound and old soundtrack, or hideous artwork and good voice acting and sound.

The good thing is that they solved this with LeChuck's Revenge, which lets you mix and match.

I'm still bitter that I bought both of those on iOS and they never got updated and now I can never again play them :argh:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Don Gato posted:

JebanyPedal posted:

I'm not sure about Monkey Island, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same: that worked in Halo Anniversary because it was literally the original game and engine running under the hood, just with updated textures, lighting effects, sound and the like. That approach doesn't happen very often, but when it does I have to imagine it's not that hard, provided the original assets still exist and your port is essentially a 'new coat of paint' on the surface.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Cleretic posted:

I'm not sure about Monkey Island, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same: that worked in Halo Anniversary because it was literally the original game and engine running under the hood, just with updated textures, lighting effects, sound and the like. That approach doesn't happen very often, but when it does I have to imagine it's not that hard, provided the original assets still exist and your port is essentially a 'new coat of paint' on the surface.

The first two MI games are super old point and click adventure games that use the pretty simple and modular SCUMM engine, both use the same interface, and the same sound engine. It was obviously super easy to do, but with the first game I think they believed that people would only switch to the old, pixelated version occasionally to compare for the novelty of it, but there was a pretty decent amount of people complaining about the new art style so they allowed you to pick and choose for the second game.

Generally I think games that offer that kind of functionality should allow you to mix and match which aspects you'd like to keep unchanged and which you'd like the updated versions of, if possible. Full Throttle also had some grody rear end smoothing of the visuals that I hated but that you could thankfully disable.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Wonder Boy remake let you mix and max visuals/audio, so I chose to play using the new gorgeous hand drawn art alongside the classic music and sound effects.

It's too bad the spiritual sequel that just got released doesn't look as nice.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

JebanyPedal posted:

Generally I think games that offer that kind of functionality should allow you to mix and match which aspects you'd like to keep unchanged and which you'd like the updated versions of, if possible. Full Throttle also had some grody rear end smoothing of the visuals that I hated but that you could thankfully disable.

Something I've wanted for ages, although I know it'd be pointless, is this sort of thing for the original Final Fantasy, including mechanics. The currently-available version on smartphones is fantastic, but the layers of changes they've made over the half-dozen remakes and ports and ports of remakes means that it almost isn't even the same game anymore. I'd love to be able to start the game with a checklist of something like 'NES graphics and game balance, current remake bugfixes, PSX music, no bonus dungeons, GBA script' and just go.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Thief 2 is the only one that's all that good in hindsight. Thief 1 has too many fantastic enemies like Zombies and Dinosaurs that can't be tapped on the head. Thief 3 has numerous technical issues that I can't be arsed to mod out. Thief 4 happened.

You actually could knock out burricks with the blackjack. But, like every enemy, they had to either be unalerted or unable to see you and not in combat mode.

And, because the game didn't have hit zones, you could even knock someone out by hitting them on the foot with the blackjack. There were several staircases where I loved to lurk to KO passing guards with a quick tap to the foot.

Don't try to play them again, though. The gameplay is still top notch, but the graphics are painfully bad at this point.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Don't try to play them again, though. The gameplay is still top notch, but the graphics are painfully bad at this point.

The graphics were already painfully bad when it was released so they kind of hold up.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You actually could knock out burricks with the blackjack. But, like every enemy, they had to either be unalerted or unable to see you and not in combat mode.

And, because the game didn't have hit zones, you could even knock someone out by hitting them on the foot with the blackjack. There were several staircases where I loved to lurk to KO passing guards with a quick tap to the foot.

If the gameplay is solid the graphics don't matter much. I still play Deus Ex through every couple years.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

The Wonder Boy remake let you mix and max visuals/audio, so I chose to play using the new gorgeous hand drawn art alongside the classic music and sound effects.

It's too bad the spiritual sequel that just got released doesn't look as nice.

Haven't seen this, what's the spiritual sequel?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

jojoinnit posted:

If the gameplay is solid the graphics don't matter much. I still play Deus Ex through every couple years.

Deus Ex (which also looked pretty bad on release) still looks way better than Thief. Thief had the problem where the graphics made it hard to see what exactly was going on a fair amount of the time.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Deus Ex (which also looked pretty bad on release) still looks way better than Thief. Thief had the problem where the graphics made it hard to see what exactly was going on a fair amount of the time.

I don't know about that, the dark was part of Thief's mood and gameplay. It may not be a pretty game but its lighting gave its locations far more depth and ambiance than Deus Ex's blown out aesthetic.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

JebanyPedal posted:

I don't know about that, the dark was part of Thief's mood and gameplay. It may not be a pretty game but its lighting gave its locations far more depth and ambiance than Deus Ex's blown out aesthetic.

wasn't the original deus ex made when colored and volumentric lighting were big selling points, so the thing ends up looking like a brooding disco?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

luxury handset posted:

wasn't the original deus ex made when colored and volumentric lighting were big selling points, so the thing ends up looking like a brooding disco?

Can't remember honestly, but after you've played Daikatana colored lighting in other games seems restrained.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Deus Ex's lighting is restrained compared to its contemporaries since it was meant to be more grounded. But you still wind up in multiple nightclubs, science labs, computer cores, etc and those do go a little wild. It's also super dark since seemingly the whole game takes place at night and it was how they communicated safe spots where you had low visibility.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Finished escape from butcher bay and i have to say being able to play at more than 10 fps makes all the difference.(new computer wooo)
Moved straight on to dark athena and the quality just gets way smoother,riddick has cooler pants,the character models and facial movements are way better,the environments are already more varied and the combat's smoother.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
So I finally got around to playing Crusader Kings 2 after having it in my library for like three years now, and the interactions with your court physician are basically the best things.

One time he brought in a flatulent goat and as my king went to cover his nose he was like "That IS the treatment, my lord". Another time he pulled out a severed hand that was clearly leprous, and my king asked him where he even got it and he just shushed him and started rubbing it on his chest.

And then because it's CK2, these treatments not only worked, but made him healthier than he was before he was sick.

He also cured him of syphillis by cutting his leg off.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
pray to satan to regrow your leg

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Samuringa posted:

Either Dishonored or Styx is Thief 4, depending on your tolerance for jank.

If you can truly tolerate jank then Thief 4 is Thief 4. :colbert:

JebanyPedal posted:

There is at least a third-party way of playing MI1 that way.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

JebanyPedal posted:

Can't remember honestly, but after you've played Daikatana colored lighting in other games seems restrained.

No one actually played Daikatana.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Taerkar posted:

No one actually played Daikatana.

It can’t be that bad.

*downloads demo*

It can’t be entirely that bad.

*buys game for 3 bucks years later*
*gets stuck in the second episode, the game is so loathed that there is no decent walkthrough online*

So I tried to play Daikatana and it would’t let me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Mierenneuker posted:

Truly, John Romero has made you his bitch.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

You can't go on without your buddy Superfly Johnson!

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Speedrunners play with a hack that removes the followers. The game is so bad that even speedrunners have to cheat to make it playable.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

While the Subway Ride level was total trash and I hated it, the boss fight with Dip in Marc Ecko's Getting Up was really inventive. He wields his belt as a weapon, initially wrapped around his fist to use the buckle as a makeshift knuckleduster, then later in the fight he releases some slack and starts using it as a whip, and he starts getting clever, like using it to trip you up and close the distance. That was a good Boss Fight.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've been working through Okami and I just did a dungeon with a crudely drawn dick on my wolf face.

One of Orochis heads has a little pirate hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Len posted:

I've been working through Okami and I just did a dungeon with a crudely drawn dick on my wolf face.
Boy are the citizens of Sei'an in for a surprise.